I'm not sure what people mean by "triggering" stuf

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

I'm not sure what people mean by "triggering" stuf

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:00 pm

If anything fits that bill, I suspect this video might.<br><br>It's what used to play behind Pink Floyd when they played the song "Welcome to the Machine" in concert:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hXHX7rQpw&search=pink%20floyd">www.youtube.com/watch?v=W...nk%20floyd</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I'm not sure what people mean by "triggering"

Postby professorpan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:16 pm

Good question -- I'm also unsure. I've noticed that some board members have gotten upset when someone posts a link to violent or disturbing imagery without adding a disclaimer. I assume that anything violent or suggestive of violence -- even heavily stylized stuff or cartoony stuff, like the Floyd video -- falls under that category.<br><br>As someone who writes fiction about disturbing things (dark suspense and horror primarily, but not exclusively), I enjoy the weird, the disturbing, and the scary. I'm sure much of what I write would be "triggering" to certain people.<br><br>I'm assuming that people who can be triggered avoid any type of violent entertainment (movies, videogames, dark TV shows such as CSI, even comic book or book jacket artwork), don't watch the news, and must constantly evaluate the possibility that something in their environment could harm them. I'm very curious about what it's like to maintain that type of constant awareness and scrutiny. For instance, if you're watching a TV show, and you see a trailer for an occult-themed movie, I'd imagine that would be triggering. The vigilance required must be a serious strain, and I'd imagine that those affected by such imagery must keep a very "clean" mind when it comes to negative imagery.<br><br>Anyone? <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

mc survivors

Postby chillin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:53 pm

I always assumed that the term referred to post-hypnotic suggestions. If that's the case just about anything could be a 'trigger', not just violent or trippy images.<br><br>I think the times I've seen it used here on the board the poster has firsthand knowledge of particular subject matter being disturbing. <p></p><i></i>
chillin

Return to SRA and Occult Crime