RAT/MC Survivor Presentation

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Depends on your circle?

Postby Avalon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:57 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>LilyPat, I know a couple of artists who have to be drunk in order to paint. All of the artists I know drink regularly regardless.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>I don't think that's a general rule, though.<br><br>I'm an artist and writer, and the majority of my close friends are artists and writers. Some of us don't drink alcohol at all, some only socially, none in order to do the creative work we do. <br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Depends on your circle?

Postby LilyPatToo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Since I for one tend to drink secretly, I wonder if all the artists who "don't drink" actually don't...? I guess that sounds kind of paranoid, now that I look at it. Most artists aren't "program", though. Several of the ones I know have substance abuse problems and I doubt that they're in any program. They simply are reacting to living in a society that doesn't value art all that highly and makes it very difficult for a lot of artists to survive, economically. At least, that's my theory. <br><br>When I lived in Holland, I was amazed at the way that artists are considered to be a national resource. Here in the States, there's a lot of talk about how wonderful art is, but few of us artists can make enough money at it to survive.<br><br>Then there's all the mental/emotional damage that MC program survivors are living with--it adds hugely to the difficulty faced in being out-of-step with a very superficial, mercenary society and can produce serious substance abuse. My goal is to become adjusted enough to be able to do art without the booze someday. But right now, if I'm to attempt the program-related images, I need some kind of buffer to help reduce the massive anxiety I feel.<br><br>LilyPat <p></p><i></i>
LilyPatToo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Depends on your circle?

Postby Project Willow » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:53 pm

I did make it sound as if we are all lushes. I should have remembered the recovered alcoholics I know who do not drink at all. It's more of a statement of a little frustration. The artists I socialize with drink regularly, and just about every one I come into contact with drinks socially. I was a little surprised to find it was so pervasive. <p></p><i></i>
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to SRA and Occult Crime