Dubai Port to Divest of American Holdings

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Dubai Port to Divest of American Holdings

Postby Qutb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 pm

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Dubai Port Company to Divest Itself of American Holdings</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>By Jonathan Weisman and Daniela Deane<br>Washington Post Staff Writers<br>Thursday, March 9, 2006; 4:00 PM<br><br>The United Arab Emirates company that was attempting to take over management operations at six U.S. ports announced today that it will divest itself of all U.S. interests.<br><br>Sen. John Warner (R-Va.) announced on the Senate floor shortly before 2 p.m. that Dubai Ports World would "transfer fully the operations of U.S. ports to a U.S. entity." Warner, who had been trying to broker a compromise on the issue, said DP World would divest itself of U.S. interests "in an orderly fashion" so as not to suffer "economic loss."<br><br>It was not immediately clear how the divesture would be handled or what U.S. company would take over the operation.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Warner's announcement came just hours after Republican leaders from the House and Senate met with President Bush to tell him Congress appeared ready to block the deal.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The GOP leaders gave Bush their assessment of where the deal stood at a private meeting at the White House</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, according to Amy Call, a spokeswoman for Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.). Although the gathering was a regularly scheduled meeting, according to Call, it was significant because it came only one day after lawmakers took their first formal steps toward killing Dubai Ports World's acquisition of a British-owned company that now manages the six ports.<br><br>more...<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/09/AR2006030901124.html?referrer=email" target="top">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Bush is finished. <p></p><i></i>
Qutb

Blog: View Blog (0)

ports

Postby darkbeforedawn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Ha! just another diversionary tactic. They'll be back. Bushco won't let this one die... <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Re: ports

Postby CyberChrist » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:55 pm

I'd be interested in hearing details of the "American" company that is due to take over. I smell a corporate shell company in the waters. <p>--<br>CyberChrist<br>http://www.hackerjournal.org<br>My brain is hung like a horse.</p><i></i>
CyberChrist

Postby heath7 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:17 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/09/dpworld-halliburton/"> Norm Ornstein: Dubai Ports World Is Considering Selling U.S. Operations To Halliburton</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>They have got a dilemma now, because there simply aren’t American companies that have the know-how and the breadth to do this. Interestingly, and perhaps ironically, what I had heard earlier in the day, as they were looking at those that have the — the kind of resources, Halliburton was a name that came up.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>I won't put it past them. <p></p><i></i>
heath7

Postby Gouda » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Well, won't be too shocked if this US company turns out to be a Halliburton subsidiary. <br><br>Meanwhile, the Patriot Act passed with flying colors and they bumped up the national debt ceiling during all this. Who knows what all else - sometimes I get "overtaken by news events."<br><br>Meanwhile, <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1171773,00.html">Time</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, of all disinfo rags, lets us in on "The Dubai Deal You Don't Know About - Even as one company gives up on U.S. ports, a different Middle Eastern firm remains a major contractor for the Navy". <br><br>We are to be assured: <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Why is a Dubai shipping services company doing business with the Pentagon when handing over U.S. port operations to the emirate would supposedly compromise national security? Because it makes sense. Call it the reality of living in a globally connected business world.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>but with this caveat: <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>No question, the husbanding contract provides the potential for mischief.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby heath7 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:50 pm

The patriot act passed, despite being opposed by a clear majority of Americans. <br><br>The NSA investigation was dropped, despite numerous government sources pointing to its illegality, and such a move being opposed by a clear majority of Americans.<br><br>...<br><br>I'm sure there is more... <p></p><i></i>
heath7

Postby heath7 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:01 pm

...This ports deal is also providing a not-too-messy way for repugs to start peeling away from the damaged dubya (of course, despite their unquestioning allegience these last five harrowing years).<br><br>Nothing another 'terrist 'tack' can't fix though, I suppose. <p></p><i></i>
heath7

Return to Middle East