UPdate on Israeli coalition talks

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

UPdate on Israeli coalition talks

Postby havanagilla » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:05 am

REcent breakthrough in the negotiation between Kadima (Sharon's centrist new party) and Labor. Amir Peretz (labor) will most likely be the next minister of defense, the FIRST civilian in this job, I believe (shimon peres, although without military experience, has had ample dealings with security, such as his involvement in the establishment of the Nuclear Plant DImona and the huge IAI before becoming defense minister). This is a mini crisis in the security community, with lots of resentment to someone "coming from nowhere" to order them around. Peretz has no academic or military education, his political career consists of Labor unions politics. The public is hoping that this fresh, non military approach, will enable the cuts in defense budgets and will mitigate the excess of military power in Israel. (wishful thinking..P-)). As a result, hopes are high that one of the most murderous generals even, and acting minister of defense, Saul Mofaz will gradually be ousted from kadima and politics. Labor will also receive the ministry of education and other less lucrative portfolios. This is the first gov., I believe that most of its higher ups are civilians. (Olmert is a lawyer; Peretz - labor unionist; Livni - Lawyer (with some Mossad experience, but not significant). <br>000<br>Yisrael Baitenu, the new racist-fascist party, headed by Yvette (Avigdor) Liberman, is probably NOT going to join the coalition. Liberman is under police investigations re his dubious business in Russia and a bizarre allegation that his party received millions of dollars from an Austrian citizen (agains the law). The AG of ISrael, Meni Mezuz instructed Olment that he cannot appoint LIberman as minister of Police...until the investigation is over.<br>00<br>Kadima party is going through some shake ups, signaling that this is perhaps a short lived party (and a short lived government). <br>00<br>LIkely candidate for ministery of homeland security is Avi Dichter, former GSS chief and the author of the "doctrine" of massive assassinations in the territories. <br>00<br>Rafi Eitan's "retired peoples" party is negotiating for 2 seats in the cabinet.<br>00<br>most journalists predict that this government will not make any progress with the disengagements. The agenda this year is Iran on the ones hand (and Hammas here), and corruption.<br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Middle East