20 soldiers, civilians suspected of raping girl, 12, on IAF

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

20 soldiers, civilians suspected of raping girl, 12, on IAF

Postby havanagilla » Mon May 01, 2006 4:46 am

<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/711300.html">www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/711300.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br> <br>20 soldiers, civilians suspected of raping girl, 12, on IAF base <br> <br>By Amos Harel, Ruth Sinai and Michal Greenberg <br> <br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>About</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> 20 Israel Defense Forces soldiers and civilians are suspected in the statutory rape of a 12-year-old girl, authorities said after a gag order was removed yesterday. The girl, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>who has psychiatric problems</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, lived with her family at an air force base in the south of the country. <br><br>Fifteen soldiers, most of whom are doing their compulsory military service, have been questioned in the case, which was discovered about six weeks ago. However, Military Police investigators said they suspect <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>that far more people</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> were involved. <br><br> <br>The girl is now 14, but the alleged statutory rape - which was discovered about six weeks ago - is suspected of having begun before <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>she turned 12</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. She has told investigators that the sex was consensual, but she was too young to give consent legally. In addition, she was hospitalized several times for psychiatric problems and has been in the care of welfare services for an extended period. <br><br>The soldiers questioned in the case said they did not know how old the girl was and that she told them she was 16 or 17. Military sources confirmed that the girl has admitted to lying to the soldiers about her age. Nonetheless, it appears that they can still be charged with statutory rape. <br><br>The military prosecution is expected to decide shortly to indict the soldiers suspected of involvement. The police are also carrying out their own investigation in an attempt to <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>locate civilians who may have assaulted the girl before she moved to the base</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. At the prosecution's instruction the base has not taken any steps against the suspects, but every soldier questioned also met with his commander to discuss the issue. The soldiers' participation in courses and advancement have been suspended pending the prosecution's decision. <br><br>The IDF Spokesman said yesterday that the case will be "taken care of without compromise" once the Military Prosecution finishes its investigation. He said in the name of IAF Commander Maj. Gen. Elyezer Shkedy that the incident is very grave and "seriously deviates from appropriate behavioral norms and values." <br><br>"Every effort will be made to deal with those involved in a decisive and fair way," the IDF said. <br><br>"We're still trying to understand how this happened," a senior air force officer told Haaretz. "At the moment I mainly have questions, not answers. I don't understand how our soldiers violated the norms of the IDF in such a callous way. What bothers me no less is the fact that we, the commanders, didn't know about it." <br><br>"We're trying to check how we missed seeing such a serious incident for such a long time," the officer said. "I'm worried by the fact <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>that not one soldier raised a red flag - not those who participated in the acts and not their friends</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, who might have known about it. I would have expected that there would be a righteous man in Sodom who would complain so that these terrible acts would be stopped. That didn't happen." <br><br>The incident was discovered as part of a routine Military Police investigation at the Israel Air Force base. The investigators informed the base commander of their initial suspicions that soldiers were having sex with a minor, and the commander spoke with the girl's parents. Her father is a non-commissioned officer in the standing army. <br><br>The parents, who apparently did not know about the sexual activity, said at first that there must have been a mistake. However, investigators subsequently discovered that the girl had apparently begun having sex before her family moved to the base nearly two years ago, and similar incidents may have taken place at the institution where she was studying. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>When the family arrived at the base, the soldiers apparently continued the pattern.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> At the IDF's suggestion, the family has left the base. The girl is now studying at a private educational institution and is still getting psychiatric treatment. Welfare authorities are monitoring the girl and her family. <br><br>After the statutory rape case came to light, the base commander spoke to all the soldiers, NCOs and officers serving there and informed them of the developments in the case. Similar discussions were held at all air force bases and within all units, at Shkedy's instruction. <br> <br> <br> <br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Maariv daily newspaper placed this story in front page headlines, citing<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong> 35 soldiers</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> not 20. (could this be MC/SRA related ???)<br><br>Recent scandals in Israeli Air Force - The chief of the Arrow unit (the new missile) has been caught running a "black market/gambling bank" for numerous officers in the IAF. ISraeli pilots were caught visiting prostitutes while on "educational visit" to Auschwitz, Poland. etc.Another pilot was caught peeping into the girls' washrooms in his base. (in his defense he claimed to be under "stress" as a result of the disengagement..:-), seriously).<br><br>Sodom and Gomorra is HERE...<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 20 soldiers, civilians suspected of raping girl, 12, on

Postby chiggerbit » Mon May 01, 2006 1:02 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The girl is now 14, but the alleged statutory rape - which was discovered about six weeks ago - is suspected of having begun <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>before she turned 12</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><br>Why not just say "at age 11"? OR, could this hedge with words mean that it might have been even earlier than 11? Maybe there is much more to this story. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby blanc » Mon May 01, 2006 3:34 pm

an 11 year old who was taken for 16 ? <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Re: age

Postby havanagilla » Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 am

Story complicates today -<br>1. headline Haaretz print edition - number of soldiers involved in the rape is WAY more than 35, estimated in DOZENS.<br>2. The weird addition - through the course of this prolonged rape, the girl was under the care and treatment of social work! the press's attempts to get to the bottom of this "care", are fended off by social work, invoking the girl's "privacy rights" (ha ha, sounds familiar from the Nazi archives protecting the privacy rights of the victims). <br>3. Haaretz legal commentator, Prof. Zeev Segal proposes an appointment of a special investigation commission headed by a supreme court judge, to look into the "entire matter" of the involvement of the military.<br><br>--<br>This might be leading to MC...don't know. <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby StarmanSkye » Tue May 02, 2006 4:36 am

The IDF Spokesman "said in the name of IAF Commander Maj. Gen. Elyezer Shkedy that the incident is very grave and "seriously deviates from appropriate behavioral norms and values".'<br><br>On the contrary -- I think this 'incident' precisely reflects the assumption of protected, priveleged exemption extended to the IDF troopers (and all occupying military forces where indiscriminate use of deadly force is the norm, occassioned by numerous, even routine documented instances where abuses of authority, atrocities, and war-crime offenses are committed with impugnity) in which they are granted extreme license to inflict both harm and petty offenses on a second-class, terrorized and intimidated civilian population.<br><br>There may be Ritual Abuse or MC here, or only an aspect via incidental convenience or circumstance, afforded by the opportunity for gratuitous sexual exploitation and not part of something more methodical, organized and deliberately manipulative. The circumstances are appalling and contemptable even if the abuse was only sexually exploitive, as it reflects a permissive and indulgent attitude in the widespread commission of crime and tacit accomodation by an extensive social/cultural network that closed-ranks to protect members of a military institution (and its reputation) instead of showing initiative of duty in protecting (and serving) the public, especially protecting those (and their interests) least-able to protect and look-after themselves.<br><br>I'm sure the whole Israeli military establishment is apoplectic with rage that this incident was publicized (not esp. that it happened, which many might dismiss as 'boys will be boys') -- what a PR nightmare it must be for them.<br><br>But -- One must wonder --or suspect-- that this is but the tip of a much-larger, well-hidden phenomenon, as the most basic ideals of duty, integrity, honor, morality and honesty have been defiled and subverted by the many, many contradictions and hypocrisies evident and resulting from the IDF's corrupting role as occupying force to preserve the prerogatives of power and a racist, hateful regime.<br><br>H-- Is there any discussion of this in the wider context of a cultural symptom, as by members of the IDF having conflicted sense of their true 'duty' and sense of identity, and this incident reflecting something of the military's moral degradation?<br><br>Starman<br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby havanagilla » Tue May 02, 2006 6:01 am

starman, well said. all of it.<br>--<br>of course there is a huge debate because this hit headlines in all MSM, and apparently almost the entire base (which for some reason is not disclosed by name/location) is implicated. <br>--<br>Backtalkers say the usual "occupation corrupts", and I tend to agree, in general the the occupation turned the IDF (and IAF is the cherry at the top), to a criminal org, whereas before we had criminal pockets therein.<br>--<br>the reason I think it is MC related, is the chronology and the parents. Apparently, the girl had history of sexual abuse before they joined the base, and as we know this is how MC victims are created, at some point the proximity to the military facility is imperative, but the sex abuse starts before that, and usualy the parents get a "perk", in order to move closer to the facility and permit the continued abuse. this one is almost a classic, because the father was invited to move into the base residence. The fact that she was already under psychiatric care before they moved, inreases the suspicion. And possibly, since we are getting to around the age of 7 (calculating the timeline) she was also a victim of incest of something like that. <br>Another suspicious point on the checklist is that this is an airforce base, this is usually the case with MC victims (mine included and I believe PW mentioned this fact as well, or maybe DE.).<br>--<br>I doubt this will be disclosed or even investigated, but I can't help thinking this is the case. And in fact, even after this investigation she might stil be groomed for MC continued abuse. Because she is stil under the same social work office and psychiatrists who, as we now know, have been "treating" her since she was much much younger. So, if this is their 'treatment', nothing should be ruled out. I hope, though that Military police will not let go. <br>--<br>Public debate is very heated now, all kinds of "mea culpa" which usually lasts a week until things subside and a new incident takes the headlines. However, I can clearly trace a trend of being fed up with the military, the generals, the IDF and the occupation. two examples today morning (and today is the official memorial say for fallen soldiers here) -<br>1. A prominent semi MsM blogger (journalist as well) today posts an aricle asking how come the general sercret services are harassing israelis of left wing tendencies, and of animal rights activists, via internet trolling, virua attacks and defamation. He is giving some examples. this is the FIRST time the issue is raised not by the "paranoid clique" (yours humbly included..:-). <br>2. Israeli leftie website posts a poem by Amiri Baraka in which he implicates sirael in 911. the poem is cited as "great" and in consensus. ONe backtalker, identifying himself with a full and real name, a PhD student in NJ (ISraeli, or former) - is protesting the post, and asking "how would you feel if I suggested that YOU are to blame for the 911, personally etc).<br>Response from blogger, is practically "fuck off."<br>---<br>There is a small revolution these days since Amir Peretz was declared next minister of defense. But to off set this achievement today we find out the Avi DIchter, former GSS chief was appointed minister of homeland security (and police). So, its a bit of tied vote...(each holding the other in the balls).<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby chiggerbit » Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

Has there been any indication that dad was pimping the girl? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby havanagilla » Tue May 02, 2006 10:40 am

no. except the fact that "they didn't know" what is happening AND that she was sexually abused years before that, namely, around 7 yrs old, by "neighbors". <br>00<br>I just read her statement to the police, it is heartbreaking, she is in total dissociation, saying she wanted to do it, even when she was a little girl, that she has no complaints against any of the (dozens...) men who had sex with her. Its like a robot. The investigating officer comments that it is incredible to see a girl whose entire life is made up of "horrifying sex abuse/slavery" (his words) who has no complaints and who assumes responsibility, because she knows nothing else. <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Return to Middle East