A Different Perspective on the Iranian Letter

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Different Perspective on the Iranian Letter

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 4:43 am

The New York Sun (admittedly not the most reputable of newspapers) does seem to have dug a bit deeper than the others this time:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nysun.com/article/32594">www.nysun.com/article/32594</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>President Ahmadinejad's letter to President Bush, widely interpreted as a peaceful overture, is in fact a declaration of war. The key sentence in the letter is the closing salutation. In an eight-page text of the letter being circulated by the Council on Foreign Relations, it is left untranslated and rendered as "Vasalam Ala Man Ataba'al hoda." What this means is "Peace only unto those who follow the true path."<br><br>It is a phrase with historical significance in Islam, for, according to Islamic tradition, in year six of the Hejira - the late 620s - the prophet Mohammad sent letters to the Byzantine emperor and the Sassanid emperor telling them to convert to the true faith of Islam or be conquered. The letters included the same phrase that President Ahmadinejad used to conclude his letter to Mr. Bush. For Mohammad, the letters were a prelude to a Muslim offensive, a war launched for the purpose of imposing Islamic rule over infidels.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A Different Perspective on the Iranian Letter

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat May 13, 2006 2:01 pm

The New York Sun embraces its poor reputation by shilling for another cabal which should be tried in the Hague.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In an eight-page text of the letter being circulated by the Council on Foreign Relations<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The Council On Foreign Relations is the shadow Senate of American fascists since 1921 who are itching for the 'Clash of Civilisations' to replace the Cold War's war profits and social controls.<br><br>Learn to smell sulphur when you see the CFR's pronouncements.<br><br>Iran is not declaring war. The US is. <br>Iran is trying hard, if not effectively, to undeclare war while at the same time warn that they will not be bullied. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

A Different Letter

Postby albion » Sat May 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Speaking of different perspectives, there was also a little-noticed <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>second letter</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, published in <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Time</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. It was from a representative of Ayatollah Khameini, and it contained specific proposals.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Iran's Nuclear Program: The Way Out</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>By HASSAN ROHANI <br><br>[...]<br><br> * Iran would make an active contribution, provided that other countries with similar sensitive fuel cycle programs also do the same, to fixing the loopholes in the non-proliferation system and to developing a technically credible international control regime.<br><br> * Iran would consider ratifying the Additional Protocol, which provides for intrusive and snap inspections.<br><br> * Iran would address the question of preventing break-out from the NPT.<br><br> * Iran would agree to negotiate with the IAEA and states concerned about the scope and timing of its industrial-scale uranium enrichment.<br><br> * Iran would accept an IAEA verifiable cap on enrichment limit of reactor grade uranium.<br><br> * Iran would accept an IAEA verifiable cap on the production of UF6 — uranium hexafluoride, which is used for enrichment — during the period of negotiation for the scope and timing of its industrial scale enrichment.<br><br> * Iran and the IAEA would agree on terms of the continuous presence of inspectors in Iran to verify credibly that no diversion takes place in Iran.<br><br> * Iran's readiness to welcome other countries to partner with Iran in a consortium provides additional assurance about the peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear program.<br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Hassan Rohani is representative of the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khameini, on the Supreme National Security Council</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> (SNSC) and Iran's former top nuclear negotiator.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1192435,00.html">www.time.com/time/world/a...35,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The second letter hasn't got much attention, which is odd, considering that not only was it conciliatory in tone, it was from a representative of the Supreme Leader Khameini - whose authority in Iran is, you know...supreme. <p></p><i></i>
albion

Re: A Different Letter

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 4:09 pm

I'd missed that. It's an interesting letter, the moreso that it comes from the Ayatollah's representative, but the devil's in the details. I'd be interested to hear them expand upon the phrase <i>other countries with similar sensitive fuel cycle programs</i>. They seem to be trying to direct attention toward the enrichment cycle itself, and away from what they intend to do with the enriched uranium. The cycle itself is non-controversial - it's a standard form of enrichment used by most if not all nuclear powers. It's the nature of the Iranian government and what they might do with enriched uranium that makes them worthy of special attention.<br><br>Also I have to note that they don't really seem to be obligating themselves to anything - they want to talk, and may or may not take action based upon those talks. There's always an "if" attached. They seem, as always, to be stalling for time. If they really meant well, it would be the simplest thing in the world to announce that they're halting enrichment until everyone's concerns can be addressed, and invite the UN to send inspectors to verify that. A civilian nuclear program would lose no ground at all from such a gesture, since no-one opposes their running power reactors, and the Russians have already offered to supply fuel. The only thing a halt would hurt would be a bomb program...<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby Byrne » Sat May 13, 2006 5:55 pm

From <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://gorillasguides.blogspot.com/2006/05/iran-chamber.html" target="top">Gorilla's Guides</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, a link to an article by Taymaz Rastin, written in October 2004 (PDF) <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.iranchamber.com/podium/miscellaneous/041010_past_failures_present_opportunities.pdf" target="top">"Past Failures and Present Opportunities: Iranian-American Relations and The Context of The Current Nuclear Standoff"</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->.<br><br>The <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.iranchamber.com/podium/podium.php" target="top">Podium </a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->section on the excellent Iran Chamber website contains a collection of articles on various aspects of Iranian society and history. & the photos are great too.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Byrne

Postby sijepuis » Sun May 14, 2006 9:56 am

Very grateful to you, Byrne, for the link to the Iran Chamber web site. I'd spent time there before but lost track of it somewhere along the line. It really is a superb site, packed with articles one more thought-provoking than the next. <br><br>Case in point, your recommended <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Past Failures and Present Opportunities</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. Interesting the way the author ends with a kind of ellipsis, his conclusion, after 33 pages of enlightening historical background, being that there <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>is no reason to attack Iran</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, that the US's bellicose posturing is the product of short-sightedness and complete lack of historical perspective. Bingo.<br><br>It can only be hoped that the Americans will take a step back and think, this time.<br><br><br><br>In the article the author mentions the importance of the Shahnameh [The Epic of Kings] to Iranian history. It can be found <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/literature.php">here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> [pdf], under literary works. Described as <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"One of the definite classics of the world, it tells kings and heros tales of ancient Persia".</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>See also: Sadeq Hedayat, who wrote the most beautiful stories, one of which is available on that same page. <p></p><i></i>
sijepuis

Return to Middle East