gaza, israel...brief reminder

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: yes, i am stuck in hell and no way out. what can i say.

Postby havanagilla » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 pm

starmansky, your analysis is quite correct, and as I see it the markers between 'israelis' and "palestinians' are contingent, not material to the plan to corrupt entire nations/areas, as you say to, appoint butchers who go along with the imperialists. The arabs are just a bit slow to pick up the message, but certainly Mubarak , abdallah and a host of others are cooperating with the USA, and israel has always done that. <br>yes, i am stuck in hell and no way out. what can i say...<br>jc, good for bringing up the evangelics, the 'egging ones' with a final solution in their loving hands...<br>i think our problem is that Mohammed came after jesus, so the evangelics don't know what to do with them... in the grand "end of the world" plan they concocted in texas or london.<br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Israel warns: free soldier or PM dies

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:02 pm

<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Israel warns: free soldier or PM dies</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Middle East correspondent Martin Chulov<br>July 01, 2006<br><br>ISRAEL last night threatened to assassinate Palestinian Prime Minister Ismael Haniyeh if Hamas militants did not release a captured Israeli soldier unharmed.<br><br>The unprecedented warning was delivered to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in a letter as Israel debated a deal offered by Hamas to free Corporal Gilad Shalit.<br><br>It came as Israeli military officials readied a second invasion force for a huge offensive into Gaza.<br><br>Hamas's Gaza-based political leaders, including Mr Haniyeh, had already gone into hiding.<br><br>But last night's direct threat to kill Mr Haniyeh, a democratically elected head of state, sharply raised the stakes. <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19645805-2703,00.html">www.theaustralian.news.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Re: Israel warns: free soldier or PM dies

Postby havanagilla » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:16 pm

its hunting season over here.<br><br>I assume that in the heat of the opening games, many crimes will be taking place in israel, its a good time for murderers, thieves and mobsters. the media is busy with something else, and all hell is loose.<br><br>The art exhibition in tel aviv (sponsored as it appears, by Beck's beer) was pretty good. Especially a dance performance called "shudder". the piece was based on the finding that traumatized animals (those "almost killed" by predators) are doing a "shudder" drill, to release the body from the fear/trauma. they lay on the grounds and "tremble" extensively, until they relax and then the trauma is not stored in them. they resume normalcy. <br><br>The dance portrays how we live a life of "shudder", we process trauma and in the course of it we create trauma in others (in the dance it was shown with "careless" or "accidental" hitting of another person, while "releasing" the body from tension). It is also about sex/love and how we hurt each other during release of past trauma. however, the scenario ends with optimism, sort of, of a couple who eventually see/hear each other and create TRUST. <br><br>Very relevant. very good dance performance and music. this was part of the dance, as the entire show is not completed yet. <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Funny you should say that Sepka.

Postby elpuma » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:56 am

Well said AlicetheCurious! <p></p><i></i>
elpuma

hava, that dance performance

Postby TroubleFunk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:15 am

It sounds incredible and insightful. Can you tell me who wrote/performed/"did" it? <p></p><i></i>
TroubleFunk

Re: hava, that dance performance

Postby havanagilla » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:59 am

well, it was just a preview of the work in process, namely, it is not completed yet. as I understand its part of a residency program for performing artists (dancers, mostly) and their obligation is to show parts of their masterpiece in an exhibition that takes place in the mid term of the residency. <br>The choreographer is Dania Elraz. I thought it was great, but I spoke today with a "conoisseur" (an artist as well whose work is shown in this exhibition) who thought she could cut it by half and that she overdid the "tremmor" issue and kind of "killed the message", or generally - lacking subtlety. So, you have the two opinions. I am quite sure it will travel abroad as soon as it is complete. the music is good, kind of lorry anderson-ish.<br>I know there is one group of dancers in Israel which has international acclaim (liat and nir Ben gal) so maybe the field of this art developed here more than the usual crap.<br>As for "art" in Israel - literature is bad under any criteria; poetry, better than lit, but since the readership is ridiculously small, they usually die early, or commit suicide or drug themsleves to death, being so poor financially.<br>music - performers are good (its a tradional jewish gift), many of the more gifted ones leave as soon as they are discovered. Composers..much less developed, although i heard there are some OK modern classic composers if you like the genre. Modern Dancing - as I said received a huge boost from this couple of modern dancers whom I saw twice and indeed they are GOOD. <br><br>visual arts - painting, i think its below average, with some exceptions who immigrate out of israel, so they are not considered israeli. movies - BAD, by all criteria, and that's mainly because ACTING is very bad, and so is theatre in general. Did I leave anything out ? <br>ah yes, photography (stills, video art), i think it is gaining some impetus now, lots of schools, and i hear also some prize winners as well.<br>--<br>however, in the art of killing and death...ah...excellence. I once wrote in my blog that the gifts of art, disguise, imagination - are "drafted" in israel for the art of war. <br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Israel’s Infrastructure Warfare

Postby jc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 am

By Mike Whitney <br><br>07/02/06 "Information Clearing House" -- -- Israel is now openly engaged in infrastructure warfare, the wanton destruction of the basic platforms of human survival. The bombing of the electric power plant has thrust the world’s most densely populated area into darkness; cutting off the vital flow of energy to hospitals, assistance centers, and the pumping stations which provide the city’s water. At the same time, Israel has bombed large sections of the main roads, government buildings, water lines and bridges. The Associated Press said, “Israeli tanks and bulldozers crossed the Gaza Strip and began razing farmland east of Khan Younis”. <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“Razing farmland”</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> is critical in understanding the real motive behind the current aggression. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The attack is directed against Palestinian civilians, not terrorists and not Hamas.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Israel is purposely destroying the means for continued human survival in Gaza. <br><br>We can now see that the practical application of the Israeli axiom,<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong> “to destroy the terrorist infrastructure” actually means the gratuitous decimation of civilian life-support systems. </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Officials from the World Food Program, which feeds 600,000 people in the West Bank and Gaza, have warned of an impending humanitarian crisis saying that Palestinians are already living on one meal a day and that there has been a steady increase in malnutrition, anemia and kidney problems from poor nutrition. <br><br>At a special meeting of the UN Security Council on Friday, Dr. Riyadh Mansour, the Permanent Observer of Palestine, said that the Israeli invasion <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“was clearly premeditated and planned” weeks if not months before the capture of the Israeli soldier.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Mansour added that the bombardment and military assault were clearly designed to <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“punish and terrorize the civilian population.” </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Members of the Security Council quickly moved to pass a resolution condemning the Israeli invasion but were blocked by the United States. As long as the US occupies a place on the council, Israel’s attacks on Palestinian civilians will go unpunished. <br><br>The unfolding crisis in Gaza was predicted by Uri Davis, Ilan Pappe, and Tamar Yaron in July 2005. Their statement reads: <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“We believe that one primary, unstated motive for the determination of the government of the State of Israel to get the Jewish settlers of the Qatif (Katif) settlement block out of the Gaza Strip may be to keep them out of harm's way when the Israeli government and military possibly trigger an intensified mass attack on the approximately one and a half million Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, of whom about half are 1948 Palestine refugees. The scenario could be similar to what has already happened in the past - a tactic that Ariel Sharon has used many times in his military career - i.e., utilizing provocation in order to launch massive attacks.”(Justin Podur, znet) </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Clearly, Israel’s motives for the invasion have little to do with the abduction of Gilad Shalit by Hamas militants. In fact, Israel has stubbornly refused to negotiate for the release of the 19 year old corporal; preferring instead to carry out its carefully considered plan for making life untenable in Gaza. This suggests that the invasion is actually another attempt to ethnically cleanse the land of the native people by cutting off their access to vital food and supplies. <br><br>The strategy for purging the land of its indigenous people is a recurrent theme in Israeli politics dating back to the inception of the state in 1948. Former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon summarized it this way: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“You don’t simply bundle people into trucks and drive them away. I prefer to advocate a positive policy, to create, in effect, a condition that in a positive way will induce people to leave.” <br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>Sharon, of course, is advocating a form of “transfer” which “creates the conditions” that will drive people off the land rather than marshalling armies to achieve the same goal. This is what is presently taking place in Gaza.<br><br>Regime Change in Ramallah <br><br>Israel’s attacks on the democratically-elected Hamas government have been instructive but not surprising. Soon after the January elections, Israel resolved to remove Hamas from power regardless of the cost. Apart from the daily assassinations and incitements, Israel has spearheaded a blockade of food, medical supplies and financial resources to the desperate people in the occupied territories. Israel has also supplied Mahmoud Abbas’ loyalists in Fatah with truckloads of weapons in a conspicuous effort to destabilize the government and promote internecine warfare. The move has weakened support for Abbas and made him look like an Israeli agent. (His smiling appearance with Olmert in Jordan soon after the bombing of 7 family members on a beach in Gaza, has done nothing to restore Abbas credibility among his people) <br><br>At 2 AM on Sunday morning the Israelis bombed the offices of Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniya; a chilling reminder that <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>the territories are ruled from Tel Aviv not Ramallah.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Just a day earlier, Israeli Special Forces rounded up 64 members of Hamas including legislators, cabinet ministers, and officials. The illegal arrests have been roundly criticized by leaders across the political spectrum, and particularly harshly by Aengus Snodaigh, member of the Irish Parliament. Snodaigh said that the arrest of Hamas government officials "demonstrates the true nature of Israel’s commitment to ‘not so democratic’ values” and that “Israel was one of the most despicable and abhorrent regimes on the planet.” <br><br>Snodaigh backed up his claims noting that (according to the UN Secretary General for Public Affairs) the <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>“in the month prior to the capture of the Israeli soldier at least 49 Palestinians, including 11 children, were killed by Israeli forces and 259 injured.” It should also be added that since Israel withdrew from Gaza in September of 2005, they have fired between 7,000 to 9,000 heavy artillery shells into Palestinian civilian areas. <br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz confirmed that the arrests<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong> “had been planned several weeks ago” </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->which proves that Corporal Gilad Shalit’s capture has been used as a mere pretext to execute Israel’s broader policy objectives. (Ethnic cleansing and transfer) <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Ironically, the arrest of Hamas’ officials could be beneficial to the cause of Palestinian liberation.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> After months of trying to topple Hamas through roundabout methods, Israel has taken a more direct route by simply arresting those who they oppose. This underscores an important point about the realities of life under occupation. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>There is no democracy under occupation</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> [remiind anyone of Iraq? - jc] because all the crucial aspects of sovereignty have been foreclosed. No Palestinian leader controls his borders, air-space, military, resources, commerce, or even food and medical supplies. What good does it do to create the impression that Palestinians are free by conducting elections? <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The West Bank and Gaza are giant concentration camps. Elections create the unfortunate illusion of democracy and normality. It is a cynical public relations hoax intended to assuage the world’s conscience and put people to sleep. <br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>By arresting government officials, we can see that Palestinian democracy only exists when it suits Israel’s interests. It is a complete sham. <br><br>The reality of occupation is evident by the facts on the ground and in the photos now appearing from Gaza of bombed-out buildings, traumatized children, bereaved parents and utter hopelessness. <br><br>Israel has robbed the Palestinian people of their freedom. The elections were a fraud. The issue continues to be occupation, and occupation alone.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13817.htm">www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13817.htm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
jc

Sonic boom from Israeli jets shatters Gaza homes

Postby jc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:16 am

AM - Monday, 3 July , 2006 08:08:00<br>Reporter: David Hardaker<br><br>03ELIZABETH JACKSON: To find out just what it's like for the Palestinians in Gaza David Hardaker spent the night in the home of a Palestinian family to file this report.<br><br>(Sound of artillery fire)<br><br>DAVID HARDAKER: This is the sound of Gaza by night: first the dull thud of distant artillery fire.<br><br>(Sound of artillery fire)<br><br>At 2am, the beating blades of an Israeli Apache helicopter.<br><br>(Sound of helicopter)<br><br>This is the one which destroyed the office of Palestinian Prime Minister and Hamas leader, Ismail Haniyeh.<br><br>An hour later, some close Israeli shelling.<br><br>(Sound of shelling)<br><br>But none of this disturbs the sleep of the Ishanti family, who live on Gaza's coast.<br><br>(Sound of a child speaking)<br><br>Indeed, it's only in the morning, as the family is having breakfast, that the truly terrifying sound arrives.<br><br>(Sound of a sonic boom)<br><br>That's a sonic boom, created by an Israeli jet speeding overhead.<br><br>Karam Ishanti is the head of the house. His wife Rheem has been comforting their one-year-old daughter and Karam has been holding their three-year-old son Basil. He's been telling him the noise is nothing more than a big balloon.<br><br>KARAM ISHANTI: I became shaking. The child beside me immediately hugged me. She became frightened. I tried to (inaudible) her despite the fact that I myself was shaking.<br><br>DAVID HARDAKER: This has happened at 8:40 in the morning. Is that unusual?<br><br>KARAM ISHANTI: yeah, it's... really, it used to happen in the early morning at three o'clock or four or five. It's a call for us to get up, a call for (inaudible) to be afraid in the morning.<br><br>DAVID HARKER: And as the family is recovering from the first, five minutes later another one comes along.<br><br>(Sound of another sonic boom)<br><br>KARAM ISHANTI: You can't hear the voice of the plane before the sonic boom happens. It happens suddenly, so as an old man you will be shaking. We are lucky now that the rest of the children are sleeping. They didn't get up.<br><br>DAVID HARDAKER: That's two sonic booms in the space of 10 minutes.<br><br>KARAM ISHANTI: Yeah, exactly, that's right.<br><br>They used to shoot a lot of sonic booms. Within five minutes you can have five sonic booms.<br><br>DAVID HARDAKER: Sonic booms have not only been terrifying Palestinians, they've been smashing the windows of houses and in some cases causing rooves to collapse.<br><br>(Sound of children speaking)<br><br>That's the story here in the Shaati refugee camp.<br><br>A sonic boom in the middle of the day brought the roof down in these cramped quarters, home to three generations of Adnan Abu Jazia's family.<br><br>(Sound of Adnan Abu Jazia speaking)<br><br>"A roof 10 by 13 metres collapsed and fell over our heads," he says. "My cousins were coming to help me paint the house because of my wedding in the next few days. Two of them were injured and we took them to the hospital."<br><br>What was once the family's living room is now a junkyard of metal beams, plastic sheeting and smashed brick.<br><br>Already in this home electricity is on again and off again and running water is scarce, but none of this makes Adnan Abu Jazia believe that the Palestinians should return the kidnapped Israeli soldier.<br><br>(Sound of Adnan Abu Jazia speaking)<br><br>"What is the fault of the people here?" He asks. "Are we to be blamed for the kidnapped soldier? We should be safe in our house, because we don't have any relationship with the kidnapped soldier."<br><br>Karen Abu Zeid is senior UN official in charge of the agency's relief effort in Gaza.<br><br>KAREN ABU ZEID: Well, especially on the children, and some of the adults that say the same thing, what <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>a real psychological terror</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> it is for them. And, you know, they just can't understand what the point is, except to frighten them, and I think <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>that is all the point is</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->.<br><br>ELIZABETH JACKSON: Karen Abu Zeid, a head of the UN's refugee agency in Gaza. David Hardaker with that report.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1677042.htm">www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1677042.htm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
jc

Previous

Return to Middle East