Open Letter to Slavoj Zizek

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: German guilt/Israeli laundering

Postby havanagilla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:33 am

(ps , makes sense that the blog is a student project, but its stlil nice and useful).<br><br>Logan, its not really "threatning" as in terror, but its a legit trade of "we can give you a hard time now" or you can help us have a little museum, which you might like anyway...<br><br>The question, from my pov, is whether it is ethical for Israelis to be doing that, but then the entire arrangement bn the two nations is based on this premise - money for a clean slate and a koshe stamp from the victims. I find it to be wrong, in the case of Nazism, and not even generally as a rule. Any peace or reconciliation would probably be based on that premise, but since we are talking about a truly, and almost metaphysicially evil movement (nazism), in that case there was no place for "dirty deals", at least for a while, say, a few decades, so that most of the victims have had their sense of dignity restored. <br><br>BTW, getting into "he is an ex nazi" campaign, is very unpleasant for a german business, especially one trying to appear liberal and nice. So, if I were the Von, i'd pay my little protection money and quiet it down. <br><br>I can only imagine with horror other such "deals"... <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

the question of ethics

Postby LoganSquare » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:08 pm

<br>Have you ever heard of an artist (or a philosopher) turning down grants or money based on ethics? I suppose it happens, but that has to be pretty rare. Those would be the philosophers and artists we've never heard of.<br><br>As for the bigger question of Israel taking money from Germany in exchange for forgiveness or a blank slate--that's not ever going to happen--it's an impossibility for whatever amount of money. It's just expediency on Israel's part as is their acceptance of support from the U.S., which historically has its own metaphysically evil movement and, from which, the Nazi's borrowed (i.e. euthanasia and racial extermination). <br><br>Interesting discussion on Zizek vs the Left (esp. concerning the French riots)<br>.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lacan.com//symptom7_articles/butler.html">www.lacan.com//symptom7_a...utler.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
LoganSquare

Re: question of ethics

Postby Moddey Screbbagh » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:39 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Have you ever heard of an artist (or a philosopher) turning down grants or money based on ethics? I suppose it happens, but that has to be pretty rare. Those would be the philosophers and artists we've never heard of.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>i agree this is rare, especially these days. but in one sense, they all do this, at least initially: intelligent, talented people choosing a career that has no guarantee of financial reward, when they probably could be very successful in business, law, medicine, etc.<br><br>there are also some famous ones who did what you ask: pasternak and sartre turned down the nobel prize in literature; wittgenstein gave away much of his very large inheritance and moved to a remote cabin in the mountains in norway. there are probably many others.... <p></p><i></i>
Moddey Screbbagh

Postby LoganSquare » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:22 pm

<br><br>I'm sure you're right, Moddey, that there have been many artists and philosophers with strong ethics--who represent the best of humanity. I am too cynical.<br><br>The question of motives though is complex--I doubt most have foregone a lucrative careers for altruistic reasons.<br><br>For example, Sartre may have turned down the Nobel for the greater glory--like Brando not showing up for an Oscar. And Wittgenstein, I believe, traded the family fortune for some considerations and assurances from the Nazis. <br><br>I guess the point is that those who do have ethics are by and large totally marginalized especially when we need them--like now. <p></p><i></i>
LoganSquare

Postby havanagilla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:02 pm

<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>As for the bigger question of Israel taking money from Germany in exchange for forgiveness or a blank slate--that's not ever going to happen--it's an impossibility for whatever amount of money. It's just expediency on Israel's part as is their acceptance of support from the U.S., which historically has its own metaphysically evil movement and, from which, the Nazi's borrowed (i.e. euthanasia and racial extermination).<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>well, this is the most meaningless paragraph i've ever read about this issue. <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

question of ethics

Postby LoganSquare » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:23 pm

<br>well you've got three countries each with its own "metaphysically evil movement"--I agree any discussion of ethics is meaningless in the context. Hopefully a blank slate won't be achieved in the form of one giant ground zero.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
LoganSquare

Previous

Return to Middle East