israel = more illegal medical experiments

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

israel = more illegal medical experiments

Postby havanagilla » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:02 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/734674.html" target="top">Widespread illegal experiments at Meir Hospital <br></a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> By Ran Reznick <br> <br>Professor Mordechai Ravid and five other doctors and interns at Meir Hospital in Kfar Sava conducted an illegal medical experiment on some <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>60 women - most of whom were Arab - with diabetes,</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> aged 45 to 70, between 2001 and 2003. The experiment was conducted without obtaining the requisite approval of the hospital's Helsinki Committee for human experiments, and without the patients' signed consent. <br><br>The hospital appointed an internal review board in 2005, which found that some of the doctors involved had provided partly false or misleading information to senior officials in the medical establishment, including to the Helsinki Committee at Meir, Tel Aviv University's medical school (with which the hospital is affiliated), and a British journal, Diabetic Medicine, which published an article on the experiment unaware it had been illegal. <br><br>The article by Ravid and his colleagues said the experiment had been approved by the Helsinki Committee, but the article was approved for publication in 2003, whereas the Helsinki permit was granted only three months later and after the research had been conducted on the patients. <br><br><br> <br> <br> Advertisement <br> <br>Last month the journal ran an announcement that its upcoming issue would contain an unusual clarification, in which it would announce regret for publishing the article in May 2004, because readers ought to be aware of the concern surrounding the ethical management of the study and therefore treat its findings with caution. The move came after the director of Meir Hospital, Dr. Ehud Davidson, informed the journal's editor in December 2005 of the internal review findings. <br><br>The object of the experiment in question was to compare two accepted drug treatments for urinary protean secretion in diabetics. For the purpose of the study, patients were randomly divided into two groups, and the study concluded that one drug was preferable to the other and that combining the two was the most effective course. <br><br>The application for a Helsinki permit was submitted by Dr. Ina Slavachevsky in November 2003, and stated that the study was part of medical student Amit Moran's final paper. The application said this was a future experiment and did not report to the committee, as required, that the doctors were in fact requesting retroactive approval for an experiment they had already performed on some 60 patients two years earlier. <br><br>The lead doctors in the study (Ravid, Slavachevsky and Rita Rahmani) told the review board that "to the best of their recollection" a previous application was submitted to the Helsinki Committee in 2001, but "because of failings in the committee's conduct, the application 'was lost' and therefore the permit was not granted on time." The committee of inquiry found nothing to substantiate this claim and also rejected the doctors' argument that the experiment did not require written consent from patients. The panel said that only the Helsinki Committee is legally authorized to exempt doctors from obtaining patient consent for an experiment. <br><br>On top of this, the review committee could not verify the study's findings because all of the documentation had disappeared from Ravid's file cabinet. <br><br>The hospital reported the inquiry results only to Clalit Health Services' management, and not to the Health Ministry as required. Nor did Clalit's management report the findings to the ministry, keeping the grievous and embarrassing affair in-house. A senior Health Ministry official told Haaretz that Meir and Clalit were certainly legally and morally obligated to report the results of the probe to the ministry without delay. <br><br>Ravid said in response that this was "an administrative and technical screw-up" not "a moral failing." Calling the matter "an unfortunate coincidence," Ravid told Haaretz that "there had been no malice or intent to deceive." He added that the affair is "a tempest in a teacup" and insisted that "there were no forged research or forged records here." <br><br>Ravid retired in July 2004 as head of Internal Medicine Department D at Meir Hospital and has since been running Maaynei Hyeshua Medical Center in Bnei-Brak. He said the experiment had been approved and that he had no connection to the documents' disappearance after he left Meir. <br><br>Dr. Rahmani declined to comment. <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=havanagilla>havanagilla</A> at: 7/4/06 10:15 pm<br></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: israel = more illegal medical experiments

Postby havanagilla » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:11 am

PS - some connections...don't know if they mean anything. Ravid, the chief suspect in this scam, was among the more vociforous critics of Sharon's treatment (that led to his death). <br>--<br>IT appears, that we are dealing here with a deep and widespread (intentional ?) corruption of the medical system, perhaps in order to create the conditions for subservience military/ intel scams. Same with the high rate of sex criminals among intel workers..namely, make them all criminals so they can be extortable ? not sure about it, but there seems to be a connection between those revelations and the very high use of medical means by israeli intel (for assassinations etc.).<br>--<br>Its funny, just an aside, that a while ago we had in one of the boards here in israel a little humorous discussion among the women, where each "confessed" to her teenage folly of adoring military types. I mentioned my period with a "an adored pilot. Another woman there jumped all over me, "how low can you get" etc, and then said she is married to a physician. I wrote back, that compared to physicians these days, military pilots are pacifists...how true.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:31 am

Thanks for that Havanagilla.<br><br>Interesting illegal experiments on urinary protein secretions.<br><br>Sometimes this board is very synchronous. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Postby havanagilla » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 am

what does it synch with ? <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:38 am

Just a personal obsession thats been on my mind for a few days. Its what "...from the juices of the dying thread" is getting at.<br><br>The use of humans to produce chemicals that are then used for nefarious purposes. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Return to Middle East