update on warzone

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

update on warzone

Postby havanagilla » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:12 am

briefly, some interesting stuff, IMHO<br>1. threats of Putch - Demands in Israel to indict/demote/remove the high officers of the IDF for criminal negligence and endangerment of the citizens. Some serious writers challenge the IDF's perparedness and professional functioning in both prediction, prevention, and fighting this "war" (number of accidents and weird things is on the increase daily). <br>2. The army and politicians are signalling that the level/length of fighting "depends on the citizens' capacity to sustain the shelling". therefore, bloggers are uniting to publish as many "i can't take it" "I am scared shitless" posts and reports, to signal that the citizens are WEAK AND TIRED AND FEARING.<br>Important campaign !! I was a natural trend setter, of course. <br>3. Indeed, MK Shlomo BReznitz (Coalition member, KAdima, former dean of TEchniyon Israel and suspect of MC among survivors), is proposing to relocate the northern Israeli population to the south in order to <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>stop the whining</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. Breznitz is warning that he is disturbed by Israel's "main weakness", its sensitivity to loss of lives. He sees it as "shortcoming". The man a psychiatrist specializing in Stress and in "memory improvement", partner of German former treasurey minister. A piece of work.<br>4. Lots of pressure this last 24 hours on "defeatist-leftist" bloggers from harassors. (me included). Threats, unpleasant backtalks, some have suffered bizarre internet incapacitations etc. the good side of it - some of us created a little online support group where we report the abuses, discuss them and support each other. The guy who has been on my tail for months (the 666 blogger) turns out to be a serial harassor.<br>petitions<br>1/ <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://epetition.net/julywar/index.php">epetition.net/julywar/index.php</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>2/or email - :yh44@walla.co.il<br><br>Demonstration- this saturday, 6-30 PM, Rabin square, tel aviv.<br><br>--<br>Any other help to freespeech/bloggers - you can let me know and I'll put you in touch with whoever.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: update on warzone

Postby starroute » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm just posting to offer you moral support, since there doesn't seem to be much else to say at this point. As bizarre as all this looks from outside, it has to be a hell of a lot more bizarre to be in the eye of the storm. Please try to stay strong and balanced. <p></p><i></i>
starroute

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:07 pm

Excellent time to visit family/friends abroad..<br><br>Be well! <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 pm

By the way, whether people here want to agree with me or not, myspace is a very easy way to reach an enormous amount of people, and there's already networking groups like what you mention in place you can step right into. I could put you in touch with a pretty well connected guy there if/when you are ready. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby 4911 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:12 pm

anyone know a site that gives more detailed up to the minute reports? I remember being on informationclearinghouse during the 2003 invasion. There was (i think) russians monitoring the iraqi radios, then putting out bulletins which the guy running the infoclearinghouse site uploaded every 10 minutes. Anything like that?<br><br>Hava may God be with you. <p></p><i></i>

Postby havanagilla » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:28 pm

don't have a blog for updates, I am just checking Haaretz.com every now and then. (they are in about an hour delay from events, but less histerical and more accurate usually). but they are "israel focused", so you don't get the flow of events in lebanon. I listed a good palestinian blog, electronicintifada, but really its become a bit of a routine, lots of deaths, bombings...recent news, israel started mini ground offense and the IDF is losing it there all the way (each time a unit goes in, they get ambushed and hit hard, and are not even capturing or hitting the attacking guerilla). Around 300 dead in lebanon, and some half million homeless refugees fleeing homes. And lots of infrastructure gone.<br>in ISrael dozens of shells/missiles in the north region, some 20 dead including soldiers, 500 injured, lots of houses damaged. In israel, except the financial damage of shelled houses, loss of tourism etc., and costs of moving stuff around, it is bearable damage, so far, but the cracks are starting to be seen in the social/political fabric. people are pissed, first they were more compliant, now growing distrust of the military and political leadership. <br>Word is - Ulmart is doing it to prepare for disengagement 2 - logic - "i ruined lebanon and gaza (meaning I am mean and patriotic) now, we have to disengage step 2". another explanation - it was a trap by iran to prevent g-8 from discussing the nuke. another explanation - its a provocation to justify hitting iran by airstrikes. and last, but not least - its a war for the elite (numerous reasons to show it is so, internally). <br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:42 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The army and politicians are signalling that the level/length of fighting "depends on the citizens' capacity to sustain the shelling"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>This the callousness of Total War doctrine where a nation's defenseless civilian population is the first target for demoralization to break their support for their own bunkered elite.<br><br>War really is terrorism with a bigger budget. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby havanagilla » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:09 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.beirutlive.blogspot.com/">www.beirutlive.blogspot.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>ABC Nightline <br> <br><br>Ram was being interviewed in his capacity as Time Out Editor in Chief last night by ABC News Nightline to explain to America what Beirut really is, or what it was. It was a life full of vibrancy, liberty, fun. It was a town full of contrast, ideas, differences, sophistication, dreams. This was demonstrated by the fact that TIme Out Magazine was here. Today, we dont know what it will be like tomorrow. But one thing is for sure, we will be here to help rebuild it...back to the Beirut we knew... mrtez<br><br>RS says: while it was good to get a voice of sanity out on ABC Nightline, (and i can talk about Time Out Beirut and this beautiful city's culture forever after documenting it for so long) I do feel that when Israel murders 63 civilians yesterday, the highest total in one day, the sixth day of attacks, to speak about Time Out is perhaps a little crass. <br>63 people in one day. Innocents. And Israeli spokesmen continue to spout the same crap - 'we dont want civilians to die but you know we want out soldiers back'. This is not a direct quote but if you listen to the likes of Mark Regev you get the picture. Yet again the lives of two soldiers, two military combatants, are worth more than any poor Arab villager. <br>How Bush can talk about Hezbollah giving back the soldiers when poor people are being massacred daily is sick, worse than sick. Does anyone in the outside world really think that Lebanon and its people will say 'ok thanks very much take your people' Do you think anyone here has sympathy for Israel in the face of such total destruction and the killing of so many innocents that never had to happen. There is no justification for this. None. Any of you who have attempted to travel down south in conboy and seen the destruction will tell you the same. <br>There is not one rule rule for Israel and other rules for everyone else. Palestinians and Lebanese are not lower than Israelis. We witnessed 23 tonnes of explosives hit southern beirut last night. It was so loud it jarred the bones. my eyes are tired. Holding tight. I can't even put the needle on the record on my decks because nothing sounds the same as when I played them a couple of weeks ago at the Shout Collective's beach party in Batroun.(more on shout later). I want to keep my memories strong so i can remember what we have lost and know that if we never get it back, if a whole new generation of Lebanese is scarred by Israeli hell - Israel who seems to know nothing but raging war for 50 years - that we can tell our children what it was. I cannot see anyone forgiving Israel for this. The Zionist Entity is merely creating hate, the most destructive emotion in the world, and I wish we didn't feel that way because hate destroys the hater more thoroughly than it destroys the people he hates. I am trying not to hate. But the longer this continues, the more the people i love are being murdered, the more the most vibrant city in the Middle East is laid waste and its people made into refugees around the world, the more difficult it becomes not to. This is 2006 and humanity should know better.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby 4911 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Apparently all hell has broken loose. Ground offensive supposedly about to happen. Thousands of reservists called to immediate active duty. Israeli army asks civilians to leave the southern part of lebanon. Lebanese Prime Minister states the lebanese army will be acitvated in case of an israeli invasion.<br><br>Oh shit, here it comes <p></p><i></i>

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Perception management: This is like a 'Friday news-dump' war over here.<br><br>A perfect time to ramp up the atrocities of war because Americans aren't paying much attention. Far less than usual, in fact.<br><br>This is the holiday season in the USA and the already-too-loose social connections are even looser with college campuses emptied and office workers heads down trying to handle the already-too-much workload because many are out on vacation.<br><br>And they are being encouraged to worry about steroids in baseball and stem-cell research.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

U.S. Speeds Up Bomb Delivery for the Israelis

Postby Gouda » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:39 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>U.S. Speeds Up Bomb Delivery for the Israelis</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>By DAVID S. CLOUD and HELENE COOPER<br>Published: July 22, 2006<br><br>WASHINGTON, July 21 — The Bush administration is rushing a delivery of precision-guided bombs to Israel, which requested the expedited shipment last week after beginning its air campaign against Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, American officials said Friday....<br><br>The decision to quickly ship the weapons to Israel was made with relatively little debate within the Bush administration, the officials said...<br><br>But Israel’s request for expedited delivery of the satellite and laser-guided bombs was described as unusual by some military officers, and as an indication that Israel still had a long list of targets in Lebanon to strike.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/22/world/middleeast/22military.html?ex=1154145600&en=ea45a64fa0420d4e&ei=5065&partner=MYWAY">www.nytimes.com/2006/07/2...tner=MYWAY</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Bush administration announced Thursday a military equipment sale to Saudi Arabia, worth more than $6 billion, a move that may in part have been aimed at deflecting inevitable Arab government anger at the decision to supply Israel with munitions in the event that effort became public.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gouda@rigorousintuition>Gouda</A> at: 7/22/06 3:42 am<br></i>
Gouda

Return to Middle East