a war with no name

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

a war with no name

Postby havanagilla » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:14 pm

Israeli bloggers, now joining the call for inquiry commission (each war here ends up with inquiry commission..) are noticing too that this war has no name. Bloggers' suggestion<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><br>THE TENTH WAR.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a war with no name

Postby BannedfromDU » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 pm

How about "THE CLEAN BREAK WAR"?<br><br><br>Middle East<br>July 21, 2006<br>THE ROVING EYE <br>Lebanon left for dead <br>By Pepe Escobar <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>All according to plan </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>The world has seen this movie before. The seed for understanding the New Middle East war was sown 10 years ago, in 1996. Everything keeps pointing back to the infamous paper "A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm", prepared by neo-cons such as Richard Perle, David and Meyrav Wurmser and Douglas Feith for Likud hardliner Benyamin Netanyahu. [1] <br><br>The "getting rid of Saddam" part has already been accomplished. The total degradation of the Palestinians is ongoing. The "destabilizing of Syria in Lebanon" took place last year. The next step would be hitting at both Syria and Iran via Lebanon. <br><br>Five months ago, Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah's leader, warned in a public speech that if Israel did not release the Lebanese prisoners it was holding, "we will try to get an Israeli soldier". That's exactly what happened. Israel knew it and had five months to prepare for an invasion and/or the current "pinpoint" bombing of Lebanon's infrastructure - something that any military strategist knows cannot be prepared in a day or two. <br><br>The fact that the Bush administration and the Olmert government in tandem blame both Syria and Iran follows the Clean Break plan to the letter. And the plan could have been fine-tuned very recently. Former Likudnik Olmert went to the US in May and Likud chairman Netanyahu followed him in June - and landed in neo-con heaven, participating in a meeting with US Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld at a conference organized by the American Enterprise Institute in Colorado. <br><br>FULL-<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HG21Ak01.html">www.atimes.com/atimes/Mid...1Ak01.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Re: a war with no name

Postby havanagilla » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:44 am

a bit of semi good news - the US is limiting the war to a week from now. <br><br> <br> <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://" target="top">U.S. Secretary of State Rice waving off reporters after a press briefing in Washington on Friday.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> (Reuters)<br> <br> <br><br>Last update - 08:29 23/07/2006 <br> <br> <br>Senior officials believe U.S. will give Israel a week to complete military offensive in Lebanon <br> <br>By Aluf Benn, Shmuel Rosner and Shlomo Shamir, Haaretz Correspondents, and Agencies <br> <br>On the eve of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's visit to Jerusalem, senior officials believe Israel has an American nod to continue operations against Hezbollah at least until next Sunday. <br><br>Rice will first explore ways with Israel's leadership to end the crisis and begin to shape a new order in Lebanon. She will return next Sunday to try to implement a cease-fire. <br><br>From Jerusalem, Rice will go on to Rome to meet senior delegates from the United Nations and Arab states. They will discuss formulating a political arrangement and a plan to rehabilitate Lebanon. From Rome she will travel to an Asian conference in Malaysia, from where she will return to Israel. <br><br><br> <br> <br> Advertisement <br> <br>Rice's trip has two main goals: an attempt to formulate an agreement to end the fighting in Lebanon and sending a strong international force to enforce Security Council Resolution 1559 calling to disarm Hazbollah and deploy the Lebanese Army along the Israeli border. <br><br>U.S. to urge more pressure on Hezbollah<br>The United States will urge Middle East leaders to help boost pressure on Hezbollah as a means of solving the crisis in southern Lebanon, President George W. Bush said on Saturday.<br><br>The Bush administration has rejected calls for an immediate cease-fire and Rice said she would focus instead on finding a sustainable end to the violence.<br><br>Previewing Rice's trip in his weekly radio address, Bush said she would "make it clear that resolving the crisis demands confronting the terrorist group that launched the attacks and the nations that support it."<br><br>Bush cited the role of Iran and Syria in providing help to Hezbollah.<br><br>"Their actions threaten the entire Middle East and stand in the way of resolving the current crisis and bringing lasting peace to this troubled region," said Bush, who is spending the weekend at his Crawford ranch.<br><br>On Saturday, Bush called Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan to discuss the humanitarian needs of the Lebanese people and Rice's trip to the region, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.<br><br>Bush stood by his stance that Israel had a right to act in its own defense.<br><br>The Bush administration has expressed worries the conflict might weaken the fragile government in Lebanon led by Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.<br><br>While reiterating his support for the Lebanese government, Bush laid blame for the problems squarely on Hezbollah.<br><br>"Hezbollah's practice of hiding rockets in civilian neighborhoods, and its efforts to undermine the democratically elected government have shown it to be no friend of Lebanon," he said. "By its actions, Hezbollah has jeopardized Lebanon's tremendous advances and betrayed the Lebanese people."<br><br>Rice rejects idea of quick cease-fire as 'false promise'<br>Rice on Friday dismissed growing pressure for an immediate cease-fire between Israel and Hezbollah guerillas in Lebanon, calling it a "false promise" if the root causes of the conflict are not addressed.<br><br>"An immediate cease-fire without political conditions does not make sense," she told reporters at the State Department.<br><br>"Syria knows what it needs to do and Hezbollah is the source of the problem," Rice said as she outlined U.S. hopes for a diplomatic solution to the current crisis.<br><br>Rice met with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan on Thursday in New York as part of an effort to repulse the French initiative in the Security Council for an immediate cease-fire in Lebanon.<br><br>The meeting comes on the heels of growing criticism among several Security Council members and European countries regarding the United States' abstention from efforts to secure a cease-fire. France on Wednesday launched an initiative to get the Security Council, which is holding an open debate today, to call for an immediate cease-fire.<br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>Bookmark to del.icio.us <br> <br> <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=havanagilla>havanagilla</A> at: 7/23/06 12:45 am<br></i>
havanagilla

semi good news

Postby blanc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:22 am

a week is a long time in war. especially for those at the receiving end. <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Re: semi good news

Postby havanagilla » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:40 am

yeah, but its better than a year of war...i guess.<br><br>Well, you know, in the street language here, the Lebanon war of 1982 is called "the deception war" (referring to how Sharon deceived the politicians etc, and the rest is history), someone responded to the name quest here, with "the deception war 2". Let's hope its not the same 'trick' we are watching now unfolding.<br>The other war took 18 years to end.<br>00<br>To those too young to remember, the war in Lebanon started with the pretext of the siraeli ambassador to London being shot by terrorists. Sharon said he is going for a small scale, breif "operatoin" to drive the palestinian warriors further up north from the border. however, by that time he already made an entire deal with his falangist friends in lebanon, to topple the government and place Bashir jemaiyl instead. he then invaded all the way to Beirut etc. As a result of this deception, Menachem Begin, who felt trapped and betrayed, sank into clinical depression and some sort of catatonic condition and had never recovered from it. He did say that he could not stand the guilt he felt for the unnecessary deaths of soldiers (i guess he meant israelis, but not sure...he might have felt bad about civilians being massacred as well). This even, politically, marked the end of the formal semi democracy here. This has also been the beginning of civil powerlessness here, because the huge demonstration and repeated protests made no difference. Many israeli soldiers contracted PTSD injuries as a result and Israel had to remain in Lebanon for 18 years of endless bleeding on both sides, the corruption of the southern lebanon area, and eventually the betrayal of the SLA soldiers who were left to their own, when Barak withdrew the forces in 2000. Along the way we had Sabra and Shatila, the seige of Beyrut, and eventually the "concept" failed as well, since the puppet gov didn't make it too long. <br>The only striking similarity I see (and which worries me) is the fact that both Begin and Ulmart are civilians who can be cheated. this time around, the minister of defense , peretz is also a civilian...so, the IDF is having a ball, and the present Chief of Staff is a piece of work, well not like Sharon, but no less murderous and conniving. (Dan Halutz). So, there are disturbing similarities. This is why the talks about a range of a week, are somewhat reassuring, if they are sincere.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=havanagilla>havanagilla</A> at: 7/23/06 7:00 am<br></i>
havanagilla

Postby 4911 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:13 am

Syria just threatened with war.<br><br>How about "World War IV" - got a nice ring to it.<br> <p></p><i></i>

Postby greencrow0 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:34 pm

How about calling it what it is...<br><br>the 'End Game' War.<br><br>GC <p></p><i></i>
greencrow0

Postby anothershamus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:56 pm

My neighbor is very conservative and she said, very enthusiasticly and smiling, <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Isn't it exciting? It's the start of armageddon! <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>With that kind of attitude and support from the CCRW, (conservative christian right wing). I don't know how we can stem the violence this time. <p></p><i></i>
anothershamus

armageddon

Postby blanc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:34 pm

presumably she has her seat at God's right hand booked another shamus. Too bad if it turns out to be a duff ticket. <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Re: armageddon

Postby DireStrike » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:05 pm

On the subject of "clean break", could that be why the corporate news entities here are so thoroughly showing the plight of the lebanese people? That would promote the ideas defined in the clean break paper such as "independence" (Israel is big and tough and doesn't listen) and "balance of power" (Israel is a badass crazy nation, easily strong enough to control the region.) <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Re: armageddon

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:36 pm

havanagilla <br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>This even, politically, marked the end of the formal semi democracy here. This has also been the beginning of civil powerlessness here, because the huge demonstration and repeated protests made no difference</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 7/23/06 7:48 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Return to Middle East