A Beautiful Friendship? Israel lobby's influence on Washingt

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Beautiful Friendship? Israel lobby's influence on Washingt

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:53 pm

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>A Beautiful Friendship?<br>In search of the truth about the Israel lobby's influence on Washington</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>By Glenn Frankel<br>Sunday, July 16, 2006; Page W13<br>Washington Post -<br><br>A Beautiful Friendship?<br>In search of the truth about the Israel lobby's influence on Washington<br><br>...AIPAC in recent years has parted with some of the staff members who gave it a harder edge, foremost among them Steve Rosen, its former director of foreign policy issues. Rosen and a fellow staff member, Keith Weissman, were fired last year after they were indicted under the 1917 Espionage Act for allegedly receiving classified information about administration strategy on Iran from Lawrence Franklin, the Pentagon's Iran desk officer. Their trial is scheduled for later this summer.<br><br>...There's nothing to hide. AIPAC's size, strength and agenda are all public information, much of it displayed on its Web site: the staff of 200 lobbyists, researchers and organizers; the $47 million annual budget; the 100,000 grass-roots members, almost double the number of five years ago; and the recruitment drive on 300 college campuses.<br><br>...IT'S A TUESDAY IN EARLY MARCH, and there are 5,000 people jammed at dining tables in the Washington Convention Center for AIPAC's annual gathering, including more than 50 senators and 100 House members and dozens of administration officials. Vice President Cheney gives a keynote address, as does John Bolton, the administration's fire-breathing ambassador to the United Nations. The Israeli election is coming up in a few days, and the leaders of the three major parties all appear via satellite hookup, including Ehud Olmert, who begins with a politician's prayer of thanksgiving: "Thank God we have you; thank God we have AIPAC."<br><br>FULL-<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/12/AR2006071201627.html">www.washingtonpost.com/wp...01627.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=bannedfromdu>BannedfromDU</A> at: 7/26/06 10:54 am<br></i>
BannedfromDU

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A Beautiful Friendship? Israel lobby's influence on Wash

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:32 pm

<br>Rawstory-<br>Clinton, Schumer 'may back Bolton'... Developing... <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://rawstory.com/">rawstory.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:38 pm

I sent these two links to Jeff last week. They're both very heavy reads:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/mear01_.html">www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/mear01_.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19062">www.nybooks.com/articles/19062</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks...<br><br><br>I cannot believe the open complicity/co-conspirators are this blatent. <br><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>"Clinton & Shumer to back (PNAC)Bolton"?!</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!<br> <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Re: It's much more than just AIPAC

Postby dranek7 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:06 pm

Take a look at this:<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>REQUEST FROM The Israeli Public Affairs Department<br><br>Posted: 7/22/2006 5:00:00 PM<br>Author: Amir Gissin<br>Source: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.standwithus.com">www.standwithus.com</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>This project is supported by StandWithUs.<br>Its an easy way for you to help!<br>MESSAGE FROM<br>Amir Gissin,<br>The Israeli Public Affairs Department<br><br>Dear friends,<br><br>Many of us recognize the importance of the Internet as the new battleground for Israel's image. It's time to do it better, and coordinate our on-line efforts on behalf of Israel. An Israeli software company have developed a free, safe and useful tool for us - the Internet Megaphone.<br><br>Please go to www.giyus.org, download the Megaphone, and you will receive daily updates with instant links to important internet polls, problematic articles that require a talk back, etc.<br><br>We need 100,000 Megaphone users to make a difference. So, please distribute this mail to all Israel's supporters.<br><br>Do it now. For Israel.<br><br>Amir Gissin<br>Director<br>Public Affairs Department<br>Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Jerusalem<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br>Their really doing a bang up job on propaganda...it's just that I don't think any audience is stupid enough to believe the bullshit. They launched the current <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>strategic influence</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> project on the 19th (probably with the knowledge that they were losing in the court of world opinion.) <br><br>I wonder if Frank Luntz has anything to do with it. <p></p><i></i>
dranek7

Re: It's much more than just AIPAC

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:47 pm

July 21, 2006<br>White House Calls on Jewish Groups to Line Up Behind John Bolton<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/001553.php">www.thewashingtonnote.com...001553.php</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"...Today, several reports have come to The Washington Note that Jay Zeidman, the influential 24-year old White House liaison to the Jewish community, is putting out the call to prominent American Jewish organizations to support John Bolton -- with the arm-twisting innuendo that in this time of crisis in the Middle East, American Jews need to line up behind the guy Jesse Helms said "is the kind of man with whom I would want to stand at Armageddon, if it should be my lot to be on hand for what is forecast to be the final battle between good and evil in this world."<br><br>That's exactly the kind of unstable world that Bolton seems constantly trying to stir up. <br><br>Zeidman has sent the word out to numerous Jewish organizations asking "What can the White House expect in terms of supporting John Bolton?"..." <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:48 pm

QUOTE<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Iran Bamboozler Still Hyping</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>By Paul Kiel - July 24, 2006, 11:00 AM<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001188.php">www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001188.php</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"Ever since neocon Amir Taheri was caught red-handed fabricating a story about an Iranian law that forced Jews to wear a yellow stripe, we vowed to keep an eye on him. Sure enough, just two weeks after his bamboozle was revealed, he visited the White House with other Middle East "experts" to advise the President. <br><br>And lo! If you happened to peruse the pages of <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The London Times yesterday, under a headline alarmingly titled "God's Army Has Plans To Run the Whole Middle East," you would have found Taheri proclaiming that "The mini war that is taking place between Israel and Hezbollah is, in fact, a proxy war in which Iran’s vision for the Middle East clashes with the administration in Washington...</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->" <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Postby BannedfromDU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 pm

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>New York Sun: Clinton, Schumer reconsider opposition to Bolton</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>RAW STORY<br>Published: Wednesday July 26, 2006<br><br>Senators Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) are "seriously reconsidering” their positions on the appointment of Ambassador John Bolton to the UN, according to the New York Sun.<br><br>The report quoted Morton Klein, President of the Zionist Organization of America who claimed to have spoken with "important friends" of the senators. He added, ""If they came out against him, I would be somewhat surprised," and that, "I think there's a reasonable chance they might support him this time around." He did however offer the caveat that, "with politics, you never know."<br><br>The paper also spoke with Jack Rosen, chairman of the American Jewish Congress, who found that the senators lack of a statement to date reflects an understanding "that the Jewish community is supporting Bolton and that when you represent a large Jewish community in New York, politics matters." In Rosen's calculation, Bolton's strong support for Israel in the current Middle East crisis might sway Clinton and Schumer to alter their positions.<br><br>FULL-<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Conservative_site_Clinton_Schumer_reconsider_opposition_0726.html">---LINK---</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Postby BannedfromDU » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:11 am

Why this immediatley matters-<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Venezuela's future with the UN may hinge on Bolton's </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>Michael Roston<br>Published: Wednesday July 26, 2006 <br><br>US Ambassador John Bolton is hoping the US Senate will guarantee his return to the United Nations next year. But in 2007, Bolton may find the diplomatic turf he battles on complicated by the looming election of Venezuela to the UN Security Council. <br><br>Venezuela has mounted a pitched fight for membership on the UN’s most powerful body. If the Latin American country succeeds in its campaign for a seat on the Council, Ambassador Bolton’s tenure may be a contributing factor in the outcome.<br><br>FULL-<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Venezuelas_future_with_UN_may_hinge_0726.html">www.rawstory.com/news/200..._0726.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
BannedfromDU

Return to Middle East