Qana

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Qana

Postby sunny » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:08 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://counterpunch.org/fisk07312006.html">counterpunch.org/fisk07312006.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Israel Kills 34 Kids in Qana<br>How Can We Stand By and Allow This to Go On?<br>By ROBERT FISK<br><br>They wrote the names of the dead children on their plastic shrouds. " Mehdi Hashem, aged seven Qana," was written in felt pen on the bag in which the little boy's body lay. "Hussein al-Mohamed, aged 12 Qana", "Abbas al-Shalhoub, aged one Qana.'' And when the Lebanese soldier went to pick up Abbas's little body, it bounced on his shoulder as the boy might have done on his father's shoulder on Saturday. In all, there were 56 corpses brought to the Tyre government hospital and other surgeries, and 34 of them were children. When they ran out of plastic bags, they wrapped the small corpses in carpets. Their hair was matted with dust, most had blood running from their noses.<br><br>You must have a heart of stone not to feel the outrage that those of us watching this experienced yesterday. This slaughter was an obscenity, an atrocity yes, if the Israeli air force truly bombs with the "pinpoint accuracy" it claims, this was also a war crime. Israel claimed that missiles had been fired by Hizbollah gunmen from the south Lebanese town of Qana as if that justified this massacre. Israel's Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, talked about "Muslim terror" threatening " western civilisation" as if the Hizbollah had killed all these poor people.<br><br>And in Qana, of all places. For only 10 years ago, this was the scene of another Israeli massacre, the slaughter of 106 Lebanese refugees by an Israeli artillery battery as they sheltered in a UN base in the town. More than half of those 106 were children. Israel later said it had no live-time pilotless photo-reconnaissance aircraft over the scene of that killing -- a statement that turned out to be untrue when The Independent discovered videotape showing just such an aircraft over the burning camp. It is as if Qana, whose inhabitants claim that this was the village in which Jesus turned water into wine, has been damned by the world, doomed forever to receive tragedy.<br><br>And there was no doubt of the missile which killed all those children yesterday. It came from the United States, and upon a fragment of it was written: "For use on MK-84 Guided Bomb BSU-37-B". No doubt the manufacturers can call it "combat-proven" because it destroyed the entire three-storey house in which the Shalhoub and Hashim families lived. They had taken refuge in the basement from an enormous Israeli bombardment, and that is where most of them died.<br><br>I found Nejwah Shalhoub lying in the government hospital in Tyre, her jaw and face bandaged. She did not weep, nor did she scream, although the pain was written on her face. Her brother Taisir, who was 46, had been killed. So had her sister Najla. So had her little niece Zeinab, who was just six. "We were in the basement hiding when the bomb exploded at one o'clock in the morning,'' she said. "What in the name of God have we done to deserve this? So many of the dead are children, the old, women. Some of the children were still awake and playing. Why does the world do this to us?"<br><br>Yesterday's deaths brought to more than 500 the total civilian dead in Lebanon since Israel's air, sea and land bombardment of the country began on July 12 after Hizbollah members crossed the frontier wire, killed three Israeli soldiers and captured two others. But yesterday's slaughter ended more than a year of mutual antagonism within the Lebanese government as pro-American and pro-Syrian politicians denounced what they described as " an ugly crime".<br><br>Thousands of protesters attacked the largest United Nations building in Beirut, screaming: "Destroy Tel Aviv, destroy Tel Aviv," and Lebanon's Prime Minister, the normally unflappable Fouad Siniora, called US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and ordered her to cancel her imminent peace-making trip to Beirut.<br><br>No one in this country can forget how President George Bush, Ms Rice, and Tony Blair have repeatedly refused to call for an immediate ceasefire, a truce that would have saved all those lives yesterday. Ms Rice would say only: "We want a ceasefire as soon as possible,'' a remark followed by an Israeli announcement that it intended to maintain its bombardment of Lebanon for at least another two weeks.<br><br>Throughout the day, Qana villagers and civil defence workers dug through the ruins of the building with spades and with their hands, tearing at the muck until they found one body after another still dressed in colorful clothes. In one section of the rubble, they found what was left of a single room with 18 bodies inside. Twelve of the dead were women. All across southern Lebanon now, you find scenes like this, not so grotesque in scale, perhaps, but just as terrible, for the people of these villages are terrified to leave and terrified to stay. The Israelis had dropped leaflets over Qana, ordering its people to leave their homes. Yet twice now since Israel's onslaught began, the Israelis have ordered villagers to leave their houses and then attacked them with aircraft as they obeyed the Israeli instructions and fled. There are at least 3,000 Shia Muslims trapped in villages between Qlaya and Aiteroun close to the scene of Israel's last military incursion at Bint Jbeil and yet none of them can leave without fear of dying on the roads.<br><br>And Mr Olmert's reaction? After expressing his "great sorrow", he announced that: "We will not stop this battle, despite the difficult incidents [sic] this morning. We will continue the activity, and if necessary it will be broadened without hesitation." But how much further can it be broadened? Lebanon's infrastructure is being steadily torn to pieces, its villages razed, its people more and more terrorized and terror is the word they used by Israel's American-made fighter bombers. Israel's savagery against the civilian population has deeply shocked not only the Western diplomats who have remained in Beirut, but hundreds of humanitarian workers from the Red Cross and major aid agencies.<br><br>Incredibly, Israel yesterday denied safe passage to a UN World Food Program aid convoy en route to the south, a six-truck mission that should have taken relief supplies to the south-eastern town of Marjayoun. More than three quarters of a million Lebanese have now fled their homes, but there is still no accurate figure for the total number still trapped in the south. Khalil Shalhoub, who survived amid the wreckage in Qana yesterday, said that his family and the Hashims were just too "terrified" to take the road out of the village, which has been attacked by aircraft for more than two weeks. The seven-mile highway between Qana and Tyre is littered with civilian homes in ruins and burnt-out family cars. On Thursday, the Israeli Army's Al-Mashriq radio, which broadcasts into southern Lebanon, told residents that their villages would be "totally destroyed" if missiles were fired from them. But anyone who has watched Israel's bombing these past two weeks knows that, in many cases, the Israelis do not know the location in which the Hizbollah are firing missiles, and when they do they frequently miss their targets. How can a villager prevent the Hizbollah from firing rockets from his street? The Hizbollah do take cover beside civilian houses just as Israeli troops entering Bint Jbeil last week also used civilian homes for cover. But can this be the excuse for slaughter on such a scale?<br><br>Mr Siniora addressed foreign diplomats in Beirut yesterday, telling them that the government in Beirut was now only demanding an immediate ceasefire and was not interested any longer in a political package to go with it. Needless to say, Mr Jeffrey Feltman, whose country made the bomb which killed the innocents of Qana yesterday, chose not to attend.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Qana

Postby bvonahsen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:30 pm

I suspect this is what Bush and Condi mean when they talk about a "workable peace" instead of a cease-fire. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Re: Qana

Postby Uncle Scam » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:37 pm

Condi Feels Lebanon’s Pain oh, and that hair, it looks marvelous!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.truthdig.com/cartoon/print/20060725_condi_lebanons_pain/">www.truthdig.com/cartoon/...nons_pain/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Uncle Scam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Qana Staged?

Postby nomo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:06 pm

The right wing blogosphere is currently exploding with posts suggesting the massacre at Qana might have been staged:<br><br>(links at url)<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://strata-sphere.com/blog/index.php/archives/2200">strata-sphere.com/blog/index.php/archives/2200</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Qana Staged?<br><br>Folks on the internet (welcome to the brave new world) and fair and balanced news organizations have been working to understand the Qana quandry. The attacks happened between 12 and 1 AM, and people evacuate. Then some ‘poor’ people take shelter and the building collapses. But as bodies are pulled from the ‘rubble’ pictures show rescuers and victims amazingly free of dust and debris and blood. Did people die at the site? I am sure some did. But is Hezbollah pulling a fast one on a gullible world quick to jump to conclusions? Here are some reports on the matter.<br><br>The Isreali Insider notes a child victim with rapid rigor mortis setting in, among many other discrepencies:<br><br> <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Why would the civilians who had supposedly taken shelter in the basement of the building not leave after the post-midnight attack? They just went back to sleep and had the bad luck to wait for the building to collapse in the morning?<br><br> National Public Radio’s correspondent reported that residents of that building had left and the victims were non-residents who chose to shelter in the building that night. They were “too poor” to leave the down, one resident told CNN’s Wedeman. Who were these people?<br><br> What we do know is that sometime after dawn a call went hour to journalists and rescue workers to come to the scene. And come they did, in droves.<br><br> While Hezbollah and its apologists have been claiming that civilians could not freely flee the scene due to Israeli destruction of bridges and roads, the journalists and rescue teams from nearby Tyre had no problem getting there.<br><br> Lebanese rescue teams did not start evacuating the building until the morning and only after the camera crews came. The absence of a real rescue effort was explained by saying that equipment was lacking. There were no scenes of live or injured people being extracted.<br><br> There was little blood, CNN’s Wedeman noted: all the victims, he concluded, appeared to have died while as they were sleeping — sleeping, apparently, through thunderous Israeli air attacks. Rescue workers equipped with cameras were removing the bodies from the same opening in the collapsed structure. Journalists were not allowed near the collapsed building.<br><br> Rescue workers filmed as they went carried the victims on the stretchers, occasionally flipping up the blankets so that cameras could show the faces and bodies of the dead.<br><br> But Israelis steeled to scenes of carnage from Palestinian suicide bombings and Hezbollah rocket attack could not help but notice that these victims did not look like our victims. Their faces were ashen gray. Their limbs appeared to have stiffened, from rigor mortis. Neither were effects that would have resulted from an Israeli attack hours before. These were bodies that looked like they had been dead for days.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Did Hezbollah collect bodies from morgues to stage this? It is coming clear why Israel gave a short reprieve to their attacks. They are banking on journalists to do their jobs and not be caught up in their emotional biases. I doubt it will work. The headlines all day screamed about children dying in their beds without any thought of what happened.<br><br>The fact is a normal, legal military DEFENSIVE act is to follow rocket trails back to their launchers and bomb the sites. The IDF reminds the world that any nation would do this in response to attack. The fact is Hezbollah is commiting war crimes by staging their weapons near civilians and enticing defensive attacks by using those weapons.<br><br>The world, but specifically the leftwing biased news media, demonstrated their true biases yesterday. The war between Hezbollah and Israel was started by Hezbollah. And Hezbollah has targetted citizens and killed children:<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em> The British tie-wearing commentator set at the studio, wearing an expression of well made-up revulsion, while displaying the screaming newspaper headlines. All of Europe is united today, so it seems, in the opinion that all of us – all Israelis – are guilty over what is characterized as “the second Qana massacre.”<br><br> …<br><br> Sorry precious child, you will forever remain seven-years-old. The small body left in the arms of grandma Yehudit at the community of Meron, which nobody in the world remembers. In fact, nobody really reported it.<br><br> Sorry, Omer, sorry we did not drag all news agencies crews and foreign correspondents and al-Jazeera to the site and turned to the United Nations Security Council and organized around-the-clock protest rallies and screamed, the second that cursed rocket fell on your home and killed you and grandma.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>The international media has behaved disgustingly during this event. They jumped to conclusions and did something for Hezbollah they never did for Israel, the wept for their dead children. But it seems those dead children died days before hand. No matter to the liberal news media and their completely slanted reporting. For they do no wrong. Ever.<br><br>Addendum: Here is an interesting perspective (H/T: RCP) from an Israeli mother whose son is fighting in Lebanon and passed onto her some insights on how Hezbollah ‘fights’.<br><br>Major Update: [Graphic Warning - photos of carnage] While the staging of the site is still in doubt, Richard at EU Referendum has photographic evidence of staged camera shots. If you notice the time line of photos and the ubiquitous “rescue worker” (i.e., Hezbollah PR man) you can see dead bodies were removed from ambulances or some other place and then placed in the rubble for pictures to be taken. Staged? At least some of it was.<br><br>Major Update: [Graphic Warning - photos of carnage] This Reuters photo is actually of the same dead baby from the previous links. But now the poor child has been adorned with a nice clean pacifier to accent the propaganda value of this child’s corpse. Where are the Geneva Convention thought police when a child’s body is being used for propaganda by these terrorists? Where are the human rights organizations? Terrorists and photographers are gaining from the craven abuse of this child’s body!<br><br>Addendum: Folks, I noticed now that the EU Referendum photos show that very same, clean pacifier. What stunned me in the Yahoo-Reuters photo was its prominence. Reader Merlin also noted it in the EU photos while I was posting the update. But it is still a crime against humanity, if not these dead children, to use them as props for cameras and adorn their corpses with emotion-enhancing items.<br><br>Posted by AJStrata on Monday, July 31st, 2006 at 8:35 am.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nomo@rigorousintuition>nomo</A> at: 7/31/06 2:06 pm<br></i>
nomo

Re: Qana Staged?

Postby sunny » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:28 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Isreali Insider<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Sounds like an attempt to keep the wingnuts on their side; after this horror, even <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>they</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> might start to turn. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby havanagilla » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 pm

most likely this was just what it was, but since this is a war, everything IS possible.<br><br>after seeing what my people are capable of in order to score points against the enemy, i am perfectly willing to accept the wildest possibility of deception by any side.<br><br>In that respect, I am quite sure the hizbullah have a few rabbits up their sleeves to use against the superior power of the IDF. And if they weren't able to come up with this atrocity called "inside job" on their own, came Bush and Mossad and taught them how to be ruthless to their own, in order to "WIN".<br><br>I know that our officers certainly "learnt" some dirty tricks from Hizbullah, such as saying " we don't care how many israelis die...we will do this and that"...and I have written about it here a lot. the problem with war, is, that everyone loses and the parties improve their brutality by exchanging notes. the losers are US, the people.<br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby havanagilla » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:02 am

NO.<br>IDF finally releases official responsibility of the bombing in qana. The mystery of the time gap, turns out to be a bomb that was dropped at night, but blew up a few hours later, at dawn. Therefore, the herd received an order to stop the propaganda attempts to swing the blame to the enemy...<br>---<br>Interesting acrobatics appear in the blogs, the attempts to spin the IDF crimes and events. wish i could illustrate but that's too much translating to do. <br><br>However, there is no ceasefire and no end to war, so far. Ulmert promises "blood sweat and tears"...more to come.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Re: Qana Staged? War Criminals Add Insult to Injury

Postby AlicetheCurious » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 am

The kind of thinking behind the accusation that Qana was staged, makes me so furious I could spit.<br><br>When I woke up late a couple of days ago, it was to a horror beyond words. Remember, I'm here in Egypt, so we're a few hours ahead. I follow 3 or 4 Arabic satellite tv stations, and the BBC and CNN. Initial reports from all the stations said that the building had been hit at 1:00 am by Israeli rocketfire and shelling and that more than 80 shells or rockets had either directly hit the building or the area immediately surrounding it.<br><br>Only in mid-morning were rescue workers able to get to the area. Israel was immediately on the defensive, saying that the building had been shelled because there were katyushas being launched from right next to it. Ben Wedeman, the CNN reporter, said that he had been in the area and neither he nor any other witnesses he had spoken to, had seen or heard ANY such thing. <br><br>Then, the Israelis changed their story: they said that they had hit the building only three times, at 7:30 am, and that it had exploded because it had been a depot for Hizbullah explosives.<br><br>Then, the Israelis changed their story again: they said that they had shelled the building at 1:00 am, but it had only collapsed at 7:30, proving that it had been full of explosives. And besides, those corpses of children already had some rigor mortis, so they must have been brought in by the evil Hizbullah as props, since between 7:30 (later changed to 8:00) and mid-morning when they were removed from the rubble, there wouldn't have been time for rigor mortis to have started.<br><br>Meanwhile, the Lebanese government has demanded an independent international investigation of the massacre at Qana, as have voices across the Arab world. In response, Israel has generously offered to investigate its own war crimes.<br><br>If Israel wants to back its claim that Hizbulla is responsible for the massacre at Qana, then why is it refusing to even contemplate an independent investigation?<br><br>If the Hizbullah is responsible for the war crime, why is it calling for an independent investigation?<br><br>Frankly, I am amazed at how gamely the CNN and BBC reporters look as they've struggled to repeat the constantly revised Israeli press releases as though they have any relation to the truth. Although some of them are developing a glazed look in their eyes.<br><br>Die-hard zionists will believe anything, even the stupidest, most transparent lies, as long as they dehumanize Arabs. <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

Postby xsic bastardx » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:42 am

<br> Here, Here! <p></p><i></i>
xsic bastardx

Postby havanagilla » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:51 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>as they've struggled to repeat the constantly revised Israeli press releases as though they have any relation to the truth. Although some of them are developing a glazed look in their eyes.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>it is becoming a bit difficult to know what is going on, and one tends to cling to anything that promises to provide some certainty.<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>any suggestion for a good, updated, blog/website/ news service ?</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby AlicetheCurious » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 am

I find the IPS (Inter Press Service) to be a good alternative news source: <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.ipsnews.net/">www.ipsnews.net/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>A good source of analysis is the Information Clearing House, which I'm sure you already know:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/">www.informationclearinghouse.info/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>I'm sure others will be able to provide good links as well. <br><br>By the way, I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3-week holiday with my husband and kids, whom I've been almost completely ignoring lately, between the net and the tv. I don't know what I'll do without my daily RI fix, but at least I'll reestablish contact with my immediate family...<br><br>I will miss you, hava, and all the others. Take care, and keep contributing to RI -- I've been surfing a lot lately, which has made me appreciate even more the quality of information, thinking and analysis of Jeff's blog and all the contributions by you regulars.<br><br>I look forward to catching up when I get back. <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

News Agencies Stand by Lebanon Photos

Postby nomo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:39 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Mideast-Photos.html">www.nytimes.com/aponline/...hotos.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>News Agencies Stand by Lebanon Photos<br><br>Published: August 1, 2006<br><br>Filed at 5:17 p.m. ET<br><br>NEW YORK (AP) -- Three news agencies on Tuesday rejected challenges to the veracity of photographs of bodies taken in the aftermath of an Israeli airstrike in Lebanon, strongly denying that the images were staged.<br><br>Photographers from The Associated Press, Reuters and Agence France-Presse all covered rescue operations Sunday in Qana, where 56 Lebanese were killed. Many of their photos depicted rescue workers carrying dead children.<br><br>A British Web site, the EU Referendum blog, built an argument that chicanery may have been involved by citing time stamps that went with captions of the photographs.<br><br>For example, the Web site draws attention to a photo by AP's Lefteris Pitarakis time stamped 7:21 a.m., showing a dead girl in an ambulance. Another picture, stamped 10:25 a.m. and taken by AP's Mohammed Zaatari, shows the same girl being loaded onto the ambulance. In a third, by AP photographer Nasser Nasser and stamped 10:44 a.m., a rescue worker carries the girl with no ambulance nearby.<br><br>The site suggests these events were staged for effect, a criticism echoed by talk show host Rush Limbaugh when he directed listeners to the blog on Monday.<br><br>''These photographers are obviously willing to participate in propaganda,'' Limbaugh said. ''They know exactly what's being done, all these photos, bringing the bodies out of the rubble, posing them for the cameras, it's all staged. Every bit of it is staged and the still photographers know it.''<br><br>The AP said information from its photo editors showed the events were not staged, and that the time stamps could be misleading for several reasons, including that web sites can use such stamps to show when pictures are posted, not taken. An AFP executive said he was stunned to be questioned about it. Reuters, in a statement, said it categorically rejects any such suggestion.<br><br>''It's hard to imagine how someone sitting in an air-conditioned office or broadcast studio many thousands of miles from the scene can decide what occurred on the ground with any degree of accuracy,'' said Kathleen Carroll, AP's senior vice president and executive editor.<br><br>Carroll said in addition to personally speaking with photo editors, ''I also know from 30 years of experience in this business that you can't get competitive journalists to participate in the kind of (staging) experience that is being described.''<br><br>Photographers are experienced in recognizing when someone is trying to stage something for their benefit, she said.<br><br>''Do you really think these people would risk their lives under Israeli shelling to set up a digging ceremony for dead Lebanese kids?'' asked Patrick Baz, Mideast photo director for AFP. ''I'm totally stunned by first the question, and I can't imagine that somebody would think something like that would have happened.''<br><br>The AP had three different photographers there who weren't always aware of what the others were doing, and filed their images to editors separately, said Santiago Lyon, director of photography.<br><br>There are also several reasons not to draw conclusions from time stamps, Lyon said. Following a news event like this, the AP does not distribute pictures sequentially; photos are moved based on news value and how quickly they are available for an editor to transmit.<br><br>The AP indicates to its members when they are sent on the wire, and member Web sites sometimes use a different time stamp to show when they are posted. <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Return to Middle East