'Aumakua - Mano/Shark Spirit Guides Question

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

'Aumakua - Mano/Shark Spirit Guides Question

Postby AmyRose » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 am

I'm looking for more information on 'aumakua (specifically: mano - shark) guardian spirits and their history. The reason for this interest is that years ago I had a friend and spiritual guide from the Big Island. She told me about a half man/half shark protector that was exclusive to her family's lineage. I recall only bits and pieces about her story. But this wasn't just an old folktale passed down from generation to generation. She actually saw it once and she also mentioned that a family member was saved by it. There is a special call to the mano (that only her family knows the name of) if you are in danger at sea and the half man/half shark will appear and assist you back to the shore.

Here's some pieces I've found so far:

Excerpts from:http://www.moolelo.com/shark-respected.html

The shark in Hawai'i is more than just a ferocious ocean predator or ominous threat to surfers and swimmers. Here, the shark, or mano, is woven in the fabric of Native Hawaiian culture and history.

Some early Hawaiians worshiped, cared for and protected sharks as 'aumakua, or family gods, while many others viewed sharks an important source of food and tools.

And a mano kanaka was a shark thought to be born of a human mother and sired by a shark god, or by a deified person whose spirit possesses a shark or turns into a shark, according to Pukui. (?? Maybe I should look in this direction? ~Amy)

Those who had the shark as their 'aumakua wouldn't hunt them or eat them, either. After all, it was believed that a departed ancestor took the form of a shark after death and appeared in dreams to living relatives. These Hawaiians would feed and pet a special shark whom they believed to be a relative. In turn, the shark would protect the family.

"Our people conveyed spiritual importance to animal deities that were created to protect them and their life style," Maxwell said." The most important is the shark, which is still held in reverence by our people today. From all the animal deities, the shark is the greatest 'aumakua."

While Maxwell, a Christian, doesn't worship the shark, he does respect and honor the creature. As cultural consultant to the Maui Ocean Center, he blesses each shark that enters or leaves the Ma'alaea marine park.

Excerpts from: Wiki

The appearance of an animal one regarded as an 'aumakua was often believed to be an omen (of good or ill). There are also many stories of 'aumakua (in animal form) intervening to save their descendants from harm. It was extremely bad luck to harm a manifested 'aumakua.

A symbiotic relationship exists between person and 'aumakua, the personal guardians of each individual and their family and the ancient source gods from whom Hawaiians were descended.

'Aumakua can manifest in nature. The form varies family to family. Whatever its form, the 'aumakua is one specific shark, owl, etc. However, all members of the species are treated with respect of family members.

"'Aumakua are intimate members of the human family, spiritual relationships with them are especially close and their presence is sought for feast and festivity, as well as in time of crisis. They act as healers and advisors, counteracting troubles and punishing faults." -J. Gutmanis

More on the half man/half shark God:

The Demi-God Maui, The Shark God

Eons ago, there was born the Demigod Maui. His father was the holder of the heavens and his mother was the guardian of the path to the Netherworld. Maui was the only one of the children who possessed the powers of magic and miracles. Although Maui is considered one of the lesser gods of Hawai`i, he is one of the most revered and loved of all the gods for many reasons. It is said that when Maui was born, he was half man, half shark. Jaws like his shark-father were said to be seen on his back. Of course, Maui visited his father daily when he swam or surfed the waves. He also helped the local fishermen by asking his father to cooperate in not scaring all the fish away or tearing into their nets. This is one reason why many Hawaiian fishermen choose to wear Maui's fish hook as their talisman. There are several major feats attributed to Maui which endeared him to the people.

More at: Gods and Goddesses of Hawai'i

I would love for the wise owls of RI to assist if they have any more information on this. I wish I could go into more details about it. But we had so many stories of otherworldly encounters that I only remember a little bit on this one.

(Sidenote: It also deepens my love and respect for the many species of sharks that are sadly disappearing from the world's oceans. They are the protectors of the sea and protectors of many human families also.)

Thanks!
AmyRose

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to UFOs and High Weirdness