Beware of the Popobawa!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Beware of the Popobawa!

Postby zhivkov » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:00 am

If someone has already posted about this subject let me know and I will delete the post or the administrators can.
I do not know if this is still going on -the following comes from a report from the mid 90s in a book I have on Fortean subjects.
The popobawa is described as a small creature with a cyclops eye, bat wings and talons. Reports of the creature apparently first surfaced on the island of Pemba-the smaller of Zanzibar's 2 main islands around the time the country's president was assassinated in 1972. The name is derived from the swahili words bat and wing.

The popobawa is famous for swooping into houses and raping men. The worst part of the ordeal the men have to go through after the attack is that they are instructed by the popobawa that if they do not tell others of the ordeal the popobawa will be back. The phases of the creature have come and gone in a similar fashion to UFO flaps. The island has gone through uproars with many men announcing that they have been sodomized. There is no known protection against the popobawa, whole families have taken to sleeping arm in arm and men have gone to bed wearing women's clothing trying to fool the creature.
Some said the popobawa took human form during the day which led to a mentally ill man being hacked to death after he inexplicably claimed to be the popobawa.

Even skeptics who have looked into the case have said that whatever is happening is very real to the victims. Some have claimed the creature returns during times of political tension. One year the chief minister blamed the oppostion party for bringing the popobawa to life; while his opponents suggested that he himself might be the popobawa.

I just wanted to share this case because out of all the fortean literature I have read this is in my top ten maybe top five strangest cases. On the surface it kind of reminded me of hypnagogic hallucinations or sleep paralysis maybe even a variation of the "old hag" phenomenon. Thinking this because the attacks took place during the night and often the victims were sleeping and woke up during the attacks. But as I looked at the case more closely (I have read it from several different sources) I thought it deserved a category of its own whether true or a mass hallucination or mass hysteria.
"you gave me in secret one thing to perceive, the tall blue starry strangeness of being here at all"-Franz Wright
zhivkov

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to UFOs and High Weirdness