remember this? "'Talking fish' stuns New York"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

remember this? "'Talking fish' stuns New York"

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:07 am

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>'Talking fish' stuns New York</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>16 March, 2003 BBC<br><br>A fish heading for slaughter in a New York market shouted warnings about the end of the world before it was killed, two fish cutters have claimed. <br><br>Zalmen Rosen, from the Skver sect of Hasidic Jews, says co-worker Luis Nivelo, a Christian, was about to kill a carp to be made into gefilte fish in the city's New Square Fish Market in January when it began shouting in Hebrew. <br><br>"It said 'Tzaruch shemirah' and 'Hasof bah'," Mr Rosen later told the New York Times newspaper. <br><br>"[It] essentially means [in Hebrew] that everyone needs to account for themselves because the end is nigh." <br><br>Mr Nivelo told the paper he was so shocked he fell into a stack of slimy packing crates, before running in panic to the shop entrance and grabbing Mr Rosen, shouting: "The fish is talking!" <br><br>However his co-worker reacted with disbelief. <br><br>"I screamed 'It's the devil The devil is here!', but Zalman said to me 'You crazy, you a meshugeneh [mad man]!" Mr Nivelo said. <br><br>A disbelieving Mr Rosen then rushed to the back of the store, only to hear the fish identifying itself as the soul of a local Hasidic man who had died the previous year. <br><br>It instructed him to pray and study the Torah, but Mr Rosen admitted that in a state of panic he attempted to kill the fish, injuring himself in the process and ending up in hospital. <br><br>The fish was eventually killed by Mr Nivelo and sold. <br><br>Many members of the city's Jewish community are now certain that God, troubled by the prospect of war in Iraq, has revealed Himself in fish form. <br><br>"Two men do not dream the same dream," said Abraham Spitz, a resident who visited Mr Rosen's shop to observe the site of the miracle. <br><br>"It is very rare that God reminds people he exists in this modern world. But when he does, you cannot ignore it." <br><br>The incident also relates to the beliefs of some Hasidic Jews, who say that righteous people can be reincarnated as fish, the British Observer newspaper reported. <br><br>Others are more sceptical, with New York comedians already incorporating the story into their stand-up routines and one fish company even contemplating changing its slogan to "our fish speak for themselves". <br><br>Mr Rosen also seems to have become rather tired of being questioned about his incredible experience. <br><br>"Ah, enough already about the fish," Mr Rosen said. <br><br>"I wish I never said anything about it. I'm getting so many calls every day, I've stopped answering. Israel, London, Miami, Brooklyn... they all want to hear about the talking fish." <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2854189.stm" target="top">news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2854189.stm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p097.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rigorousintuition>Rigorous Intuition</A> at: 7/23/05 10:07 pm<br></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

I surely do.

Postby Jerky » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:47 am

I even wrote about it in the Dirt! And then... nothing.<br><br>I'm guessing the guy was cuckoo for cocoa puffs. <p></p><i></i>
Jerky

Re: remember this? "'Talking fish' stuns New York"

Postby RebelYell » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:56 am

Sure I remember.<br><br>I also remember thinking that a fish would be relevent. Modern religion developed during the Age of Pisces, the fish. Jesus feeding the multitude with fish. Jonah. Fish on Fridays during Lent. Etc.<br><br>A fish is a symbol of the faithful - <br><br><><<br><br> Mark 1:17: "Come after Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." <br> Matthew 12:40: "...Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." <br> Matthew 14:17: "And they said to Him, 'We have here only five loaves and two fish.'" <br> Luke 5:6: "And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking." <br> Luke 24:42: "So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb." <br> John 21:6: "And He said to them, 'Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.' So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish." <br> 1 Corinthians 15:39: "All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fish, and another of birds."<br><br>Some Christians believe that a second link between their religion and the fish symbol is seen in the Greek word for fish (ichthus, spelled: Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma). That is an acrostic for "Jesus Christ, of God, the Son, the Savior" [Iesous (Jesus) CHristos (Christ) THeou (of God) Uiou (the Son) Soter (the Savior)]. An acrostic is an "arrangement of words in which the first letter of each line ordinarily combines with others to form a word or words or the alphabet." <br><br>On the other hand, the fish has been around before modern religion, or so this author says....<br><br>The fish symbol has been used for millennia worldwide as a religious symbol associated with the Pagan Great Mother Goddess. It is the outline of her vulva. The fish symbol was often drawn by overlapping two very thin crescent moons. One represented the crescent shortly before the new moon; the other shortly after, when the moon is just visible. The Moon is the heavenly body that has long been associated with the Goddess, just as the sun is a symbol of the God. <br><br>In China, Great Mother Kwan-yin often portrayed in the shape of a fish <br> In India, the Goddess Kali was called the "fish-eyed one" <br> In Egypt, Isis was called the Great Fish of the Abyss <br> In Greece the Greek word "delphos" meant both fish and womb. The word is derived from the location of the ancient Oracle at Delphi who worshipped the original fish goddess, Themis. The later fish Goddess, Aphrodite Salacia, was worshipped by her followers on her sacred day, Friday. They ate fish and engaging in orgies. From her name comes the English word "salacious" which means lustful or obscene. Also from her name comes the name of our fourth month, April. In later centuries, the Christian church adsorbed this tradition by requiring the faithful to eat fish on Friday - a tradition that was only recently abandoned. <br> In ancient Rome Friday is called "dies veneris" or Day of Venus, the Pagan Goddess of Love. <br> Throughout the Mediterranean, mystery religions used fish, wine and bread for their sacramental meal. <br> In Scandinavia, the Great Goddess was named Freya; fish were eaten in her honor. The 6th day of the week was named "Friday" after her. <br> In the Middle East, the Great Goddess of Ephesus was portrayed as a woman with a fish amulet over her genitals. <br><br>The symbol itself, the eating of fish on Friday and the association of the symbol with deity were all taken over by the early Church from Pagan sources. Only the sexual component was deleted. <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_symb.htm" target="top">Link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
RebelYell

Re: remember this? "'Talking fish' stuns New York"

Postby wolf pauli » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:56 am

Gai feifen ahfen yam!<br> <p></p><i></i>
wolf pauli

fishy

Postby albion » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:31 am

I remember it well. It was just a couple weeks before "Operation Iraqi Freedom," so there was already a palpable sense of dread and foreboding in the air. <p></p><i></i>
albion

Re: what did they do?they killed the messenger!?!

Postby hmm » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:47 am

humans,i doubt i'll ever understand them..<br>you find a freaking fish that wants to communicate with you, its taken the trouble to learn your language,it has a important warning for you,and what do you do?<br>you kill it?!?! *sigh* <p></p><i></i>
hmm

Return to UFOs and High Weirdness