Poor "W" had to sit through this...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Poor "W" had to sit through this...

Postby marykmusic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:05 pm

...at Coretta Scott King's funeral, 10,000 mostly Black people giving a two-minute ovation: <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Bush overshadowed, assailed at King rites <br><br>Helen Kennedy <br>New York Daily News <br>Feb. 8, 2006 12:00 AM <br><br>LITHONIA, Ga. - President Bush changed his schedule at the last minute to attend Coretta Scott King's funeral. It may have been a mistake.<br><br>Not only was he overshadowed by Bill and Hillary Clinton, but several speakers, including former President Carter, aimed sharply pointed darts at the commander in chief as he sat squirming on the dais.<br><br>"We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there. But Coretta knew, and we know, that there are weapons of misdirection right down here," chanted the Rev. Joseph Lowery, an 85-year-old King compatriot who drew the massive audience to its feet for a two-minute ovation. <br> <br>"For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" he added, to more cheers.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Of course, the Phoenix newspaper didn't make it a front-page item, but here it is: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0208king-bush0208.html" target="top">www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0208king-bush0208.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Poor "W" had to sit through this...

Postby albion » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 pm

I'm surprised he had the nerve to attend. I'm glad to see it was made clear to him that he wasn't exactly welcome, although I hope the politics didn't distract from the ceremony too much. <p></p><i></i>
albion

Re: Poor "W" had to sit through this...

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:06 am

I have a feeling MLK and Coretta inspired the just and right responses to the <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>politics</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> that had attended her funeral service. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Civil Right "moment" ?

Postby Gouda » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am

Has anyone heard anything about HW's speech at the ceremony? This is at the rumour stage, but I have heard, second-hand, that HW "slipped" by referring to the civil rights movement, as "civil rights <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>moment</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->". Ooops. <br><br>In quick googling, did not find transcript or mention of his speech. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Civil Right "moment" ?

Postby Col Quisp » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:35 pm

I'm sure we all remember his heartfelt sensivity to Mrs. Scott King as archived here: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00000807.htm">www.bradblog.com/archives/00000807.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/01/20020121-1.v.html">www.whitehouse.gov/news/r...1-1.v.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Above is a White House website video of a Martin Luther King portrait unveiling from January 21, 2002. <br>Here's the first few words from the transcript to listen out for:<br><br>THE PRESIDENT: Well, thank you all very much for coming. Mrs. King, thanks for this beautiful portrait. I can't wait to hang it. (Laughter.)<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Re: Civil Right "moment" ?

Postby sunny » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:40 pm

I just have to say, the funeral of Mrs. King was <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>the</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> most beautiful, joyous, heartfelt event I have ever witnessed.<br>Bush having to sit there and listen to some truth made it even better. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Bush Family