smoke quit is IMPOSSIBLY hard

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Any further suggestions mary ?

Postby thoughtographer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:02 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>HOw did i sell the others short ? I didn't mean to imply anything like that.I am coming from a culture where women are not encouraged to participate in public discussions.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Sorry. That was poor wording, as usual. I understand your point.<br><br>I'm not Mary, but, depending on how ambitious you are, there are several options.<br><br>The "American Spirit" products are produced and marketed by <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.reynoldsamerican.com/Who/mgmt_sfntc.asp">Reynolds American, Inc.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, so I don't trust them any further than I can spit. In spite of the fact that they're one of the only companies selling "organic" premade cigarettes and roll-you-own tobacco, they're essentially another part of the always offensive Reynolds marketing machine. That said, they are really the only convenient suppliers of (alleged) "organic" tobacco.<br><br>Here's another option, which is clearly more work, but arguably more rewarding in the long run:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.grandadtobacco.com/">Grandad's Tobacco</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>You don't have to go that far, but it defintely adds actual <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>work</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> to the ritual of tobacco use, and in my mind, that takes you a long way to a greater appreciation of what you're doing by smoking tobacco.<br><br>Also worth reading are the Lakota myth of <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Buffalo_Calf_Woman">The White Buffalo Calf Woman</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, and the history and rituals associated with <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catlinite">Catlinite (pipestone)</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thoughtographer>thoughtographer</A> at: 3/26/06 6:05 pm<br></i>
thoughtographer

Blog: View Blog (0)

WHYQUIT.COM

Postby steve vegas » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:29 pm

Forget about meds, you need to do it cold turkey, there is no other way. Get to whyquit.com immediately and begin reading Joel's library, it's all free. There is also an excellent discussion board/support group. Really, believe me cold turkey is the only way. I was a pack+ a day smoker forever, I quit cold turkey nearly 2 years ago. The longer you try to quit using mitigation or drugs the longer you put off the inevitable painful crash. The quit-smoking racket is a racket. You are in charge, and you can do it, but YOU have to do it. <p></p><i></i>
steve vegas

Re: WHYQUIT.COM

Postby thoughtographer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The quit-smoking racket is a racket.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>No doubt about that, but I get annoyed when people make statements like "THIS is the ONLY way" about anything. While I agree that forced withdrawl works for a lot of people, it doesn't do much but discourage those who have tried "cold turkey" before (often multiple times) and failed, often strengthening their resolve in thinking they're helpless to control or end their habit.<br><br>Most people don't jump right into the world of the tobacco demons at the full clip of a pack or more a day, so it stands to reason that the way out of the trap for some is to reverse the way they got into the trap in the first place, which means regulating dosage and <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>understanding</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> their habit as the way out. <p></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Postby steve vegas » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 am

Sorry to sound dogmatic, of course "forced withdrawal" may not be for everyone, but studies show that mitigation has a thoroughly pathetic success rate. I also tried quitting several times with varying levels of success both cold turkey and w/the patch, and gum. My previous best was for about 8 months. I was really just trying to encourage havanagilla, and everyone else for that matter, to go visit whyquit.com and read Joel's library. It is immensely helpful and educational. The education is what really helped me quit and stay quit, that was the crucial factor for me. In my numerous attempts to quit I never actually educated myself about what I was attempting to do and what I had been doing to myself for years through smoking. So there's my two cents. I wish you success in your effort havanagilla, it sounds like you've been off for a while now, eventually it gets much easier. <p></p><i></i>
steve vegas

Postby thoughtographer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:09 am

It's cool. I see your point, and respect your opinion. I'm a little sensitive to people's approach to giving advice on this sort of thing, because sometimes it makes all the difference in the world.<br><br>If someone chooses to use tobacco, I see nothing wrong with pointing them in a direction that will help them use it in a conscientious manner. If they choose to quit, being informed certainly helps, and what you're suggesting is a perfectly valid approach. <p></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Postby havanagilla » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:46 am

thanks, i'll check this website, i am sure this self-mc/hypnotizing is working to counteract the mind's rationalizations that reinforce the habit. <br>---<br>I tend to agree, regretfully, that normally only "cold turkey" works, but i have seen other cases where a gradual and a very supported quit (with chinese herbs and acupuntutre) worked great, without any pain. this is how a friend of mine who HAd to quit for medical reasons, did it.<br><br>What stopped me this time from cold turkeying was the memory of my previous cold turkey and successful quit, that led me to other dependencies, which were much more devastating (not drugs but a sort of religious addiction and sexual addiction). <br>---<br>I will try the rolled cigs for a while, will tell you if it makes my smoking more "conscious". <br>--<br>In my case, I think the Zyban was a good idea, as it turned out that antidepressants are something I might have needed to help me through this time, AND major plus, it reduces appetite BIG TIME.<br><br>I also noticed that whenever I reduced the tobacco considerably, I experienced emotions that were hard to contain. I think smoking quenches those emotions and this is primarily the reason I smoke. So, releasing those emotions is imperative, and this is what I remind myself, to pep myself in the process. There is a vast ocean of SORROW and ANGER beneath my smoking.<br>ANd I have no support here, no friend, and no nothing where I can pour my heart and even cry decently.<br> its been this way for years now, this isolation, and so cigs were definitely a companion I felt was "the only friend" always there for me and available. giving that crutch up is hard,<br>--<br>I hate this country! my family and all this unbearable life the threw me into, with the hope that I will perish, taking their dark sickening secrets into the grave. Sick and evil people !<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Previous

Return to Bush Family