once they chased terrorists, now they chase Spielberg

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

once they chased terrorists, now they chase Spielberg

Postby ir » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/24/wspiel24.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/24/ixworld.html">www.telegraph.co.uk/news/...world.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Today's Haaretz op-ed by Michael Herzog, laments the "moral mis-judgment" by Stephen Spielberg, following his up coming block buster about Mossad's assassinations of palestinians (the alleged cell responsible for the Munich Olympic games massacre).<br><br>Herzog, along with a large number of Israeli militares are conducting a full blown intelligence operation against this movie and Spielberg, at the expense of Israeli tax payers. Seeing it as a PERSONAL affront, the Mossad operatives have joined together to mount a struggle, using the State resources for their own little vendetta.<br><br>While I didn't watch the movie, as they have already done, I imagine it takes a more balanced and objective position on the "Myth" and the attempt to structure national identity/memory around the narrative of "never again". Namely, the rogue, simplistic "lesson" from the holocaust. However, this worldview, driving very limited lessons from the holocaust, failed drastically, and led to the now growing attack on Jews in the USA, as partners of BushCo in the scam-war in Iraq. <br><br>Spielberg might be able (though I am not sure, and If I were him I'd check my breaks in the car very often) to ward off the violent attack on freedom of art, speech and opinion within the Jewish nation , we the less rich and famous, are subject to an insidious form of oppression by same people. In order to defend their colossal mistakes, and their egos, these people wlil go to great length to silence opposing narratives and suggestions. In their opinion, the Spielbergs of the world are "self hating" Jews. But I am asking, who is actually self hating Jew ? maybe its those neocons, likkud, mossad thugs who hate the memory of their ancestors burning to ashes in Auschwitz, and wishing to wipe up their sacred memory, in order to feel "superior" ? So neurotic they are, that they have become obbssessed in tracing and eliminating 'weakling jews', much like those very enemies of the Jewish people to start with. <br>I propose to send those "muscle rightwingers" to therapy, and that they leave us alone. <br><br>I am writing a post on this issue, and going to emphasize the fact that public money is being wasted for a rather bizarre little war. In the seventies they chased terrorists and now they are chasing Spielberg. case closed. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
ir

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: once they chased terrorists, now they chase Spielberg

Postby dragon feathers Jack » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:44 am

hey, i thought he was making Indiana Jones 4, whats all this about some other movie?! <p></p><i></i>
dragon feathers Jack

Re: once they chased terrorists, now they chase Spielberg

Postby MinM » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Lucas And Spielberg Predict “Massive Implosion” Of Hollywood Caused By Tech Industry
George Lucas and Steven Spielberg aren’t so bullish on the future of the film industry. At a talk at USC, the pair agreed that it’s on track to have a “massive implosion”. At the core of their argument: there just isn’t enough time in the day for consumers to support all the films released in theaters. Films are competing with all the content and options that the Internet provides.

Studios in Hollywood are the equivalent of venture capital firms of Silicon Valley. They live and die on the homeruns. Each movie could be thought of as a startup. It all starts with an idea and grows into a team that creates and releases some piece of content out into the world where it’s loved or hated. When loved, you get Christopher Nolan’s Batman, and when it’s hated, you get any Ben Affleck movie from 2000 – 2010.

The summer is filled with the biggest bets. The cost to produce and market a single film these days can balloon to over $300 million. The studios need a film to pull in nearly a billion in box office revenue, the same on DVD and have a good, multi-year sale to television for it to be considered a success. Sprinkle in some airplane viewing rights and that’s a win for them.

Lucas and Spielberg don’t think that’s a sustainable model. Soon, a couple of those megabudget films are going to nosedive, and everything will change.

They suggest the marketplace will contract because there isn’t enough time in the week for us to go to the movies anymore. With Netflix producing top quality content, and video games cutting into weekends, it leaves little room for date night out at the cineplex. It’s getting so bad that Lucas complains about how hard it is even for him to get a film in a theater. This should probably make producers of films nervous.

The duo says that the studios will be forced to reevaluate how to distribute films. Perhaps a film like Lincoln will cost less to see than, say Iron Man? Or perhaps, we don’t even get movies like Lincoln in theaters anymore. They will come straight to our homes. And actually going to the theater? It’s going to change to a model where a movie will cost $50+, but it’ll become a more high end experience with movies staying in the theater for a year or more. Or, just don’t make shitty films.

For over a decade, the films that can’t find an audience in the theater have found their niche on the internet where they can be marketed and sold on iTunes to those who will love them. Companies like Netflix and Hulu are able to focus on these niches and program specifically for them, for much cheaper than the $300 million it cost to release a summer film.

That translates to these Internet companies being able to take bigger risks on content, similar to HBO’s model. And technology winning.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/13/lucas- ... -industry/

viewtopic.php?p=466736#p466736
Earth-704509
MinM

Return to Media and Information Technology