The Invisibles

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Invisibles

Postby steve vegas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:59 pm

It seems that I need to read these comics. I see them listed on <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563892677/103-7120168-6358228?v=glance&n=283155">amazon</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> as 5 "books" for about 13 bucks each. Does anybody know if these are compilations of the individual issues? No information is provided about what's inside. Wikipedia and Grant Morrison's site show that there are tons of individual issues. I see in one comment on the amazon page that there are 7 volumes. Can anybody tell me what's going on with this. Also are these books as good as they look? A review on <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id94/pg1/">disinfo</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> makes them sound pretty damn great.<br> <br>From the disinfo review:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The series that he had always wanted to write--a fusion of every conspiracy theory, counter-culture rebellion and political plot ever...Part of Morrison's sheer genius was to take familiar conspiracy and disinformation culture memes - Philip K. Dick's Vast Active Living Intelligence (VALIS), Terence McKenna's 2012 Omega Point, the Rosicrucian Invisible College, the Rennes le Chateau mystery, Situationism: and re-shape them into radically new scenarios. The Invisibles series is full of encyclopedic cut-and-paste references to films, pop music icons, tabloid controversies, historical figures, fringe science theories and much more.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Any opinions? <p></p><i></i>
steve vegas

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Invisibles

Postby Uncle Scam » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:17 am

They can also be found via bit torrent, and you will need a reader to view them, however, I reconmend the real ink publication thing too.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Uncle Scam

Postby steve vegas » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:22 am

Bittorrent, of course, thanks. What sort of reader, something other than acrobat? <p></p><i></i>
steve vegas

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:25 am

A reader strongly recommended the Invisibles to me months ago and I'm very happy I took the advice. It's full of brilliant details on an enormous canvas.<br><br>There are seven books collecting all the three volumes of the comics:<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Say You Want a Revolution<br>Apocalipstick<br>Entropy in the UK<br>Bloody Hell in America<br>Counting to None<br>Kissing Mister Quimper<br>The Invisible Kingdom</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>If you don't mind reading spoilers, the <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisibles">wiki</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> on the Invisibles has pretty good summaries of each book's content.<br><br>If you get into the Invisibles, you may also want to check out this: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0971394229/sr=8-1/qid=1150772901/ref=sr_1_1/102-4657342-5268151?%5Fencoding=UTF8"><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Anarchy for the Masses</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->: The Disinformation Guide to The Invisibles. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Postby bkkexile » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 am

Cdisplay viewer. <p></p><i></i>
bkkexile

Postby steve vegas » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 am

Excellent! Thanks to all for the info. <p></p><i></i>
steve vegas

Postby biaothanatoi » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:24 am

I LOVE THE INVISIBLES! They were all I read for an entire year. They are the best thing ever written. Ever. <br><br>*watch swinging on a chain* Read the Invisibles ... Read the Invisibles ... Read the Invisibles ... <p></p><i></i>
biaothanatoi

Invisibles

Postby Quentin Quire » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:38 am

Yup -they are awesome and should be recommended to everyone you meet.<br><br>Do a search on the board, there's been a number of discussions on the comics which are quite interesting. <br><br>'The Filth', 'Animal Man' and 'Doom Patrol' are also excellent and contain a lot of high weirdness which RI readers will lap up. <p></p><i></i>
Quentin Quire

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:58 am

I'm a fan. I also really enjoy Jamie Delano's work.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=435">www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=435</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>LOST IN THE WAR-ZONE<br><br>Confessions of a minor writer fallen out of love with The Word.<br><br>I've had doubts about the relevance of writing comic books this last year or so. Doubts about the relevance of writing anything, if I'm honest. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but when it comes down to the fire and blood, a keyboard can't compete with a B52.<br> <br>In "Outlaw Nation" (DC Vertigo 2000 - 2002) -- my flawed and prematurely truncated attempt at a surreal satire on the cultural, economic and political imperialism of the "American Century" -- the lead character, Story Johnson, a long-time fiction writer, suffers a crisis of faith in the power of The Word to "make sense of the senseless", burns his magnum opus, abandons his phenomenological, writerly perspective, and seeks, though ultimately fails, to re-engage with the human reality of the world.<br><br>Maybe I saw it coming, my own arrogant Tower of Babel collapsing out of the blue; the Black Dog of war loping from the choking dust to clamp its jaws on my throat and render me incoherent. Or perhaps I'm just a middle-aged burned-out depressive, a "blocked" writer looking for an excuse, a cynic who's lost sight of the funny side as his long-feared "Dystopia" solidifies around him. Whatever the cause, the effect is a palpable "keyboard dread", a stuttering refusal of the mind to engage in the struggle to distil the madness into metaphor. Bad news when that struggle is your job. And when the need for the careful constraint of chaos through the employment in all media of the subtle power of language and communication has never seemed more pressing.<br><br>But to be even minutely effectual in resisting the vortex of "spin" a writer needs a stable platform from which to speak, a confidence in his insight into world events, the raw material which his instinct assesses and his imagination mills, reduces to dramatic fictions laced with a vein of truth. And in a post-democratic world embroiled in asymmetric war, that platform is elusive. The old dichotomies of left and right, liberal and reactionary, are redundant; past certainties crumble before the information storm. Now more than ever perhaps "nothing is true". Post September 11, 2001 -- although that miserable tragedy signifies to me not a "change in the world", but only a waypoint on a continuum of manipulated polarisation -- it seems imperative but increasingly difficult for a writer to straddle that bogus line drawn in the (quick)sand, keep his balance, eschewing propaganda and dogma to represent the non-allied interest of the planet's humane, rational human majority. At least it does for this one.<br><br>I can speak only for myself. Writing is a broad church, even within the comics medium. Others may be made of sterner stuff. Many will keep their hopes and fears to themselves, set out for work each morning to offer entertainment and distraction, satisfy escapist fantasies of honour and heroic sacrifice, etc., same as they ever did. Good for them: someone has to attend to the day to day. Others may have their political perspective clearly defined, their territories staked out, their backbones stiffened by the outrage of violence, war-cries springing easily to their lips: 'They hate us because we're free. Kill them'; 'It's all about oil. Bomb them with bread'; 'Allah Akbar'; 'God Bless America'. They have a right to express their cultural allegiance, their genetic loyalty, their intellectual commitment to a cause, of course. If I'm honest, I even envy them some of that ability for conviction, that combativeness, or fierce passivity, but I can't find it in me to share it just now.<br><br>With half the world, I watched the appalling collapse of those towers on TV, then four months later stood in the rain, staring speechless into the sorry hole in the ground where all those falling lives crashed down, while bombs fell on distant mountains and caged prisoners crouched in chains, and all I felt was cold and empty, devoid of inspiration. There was only one thing to talk about and nothing useful to be said, no virtue in the rehearsal of traditional arguments: morality versus expediency, the idealistic versus the pragmatic, good versus evil. That shit was too 20th Century, a dead debate.<br><br>We've had our chance to learn from history, and blown it. What the world needs now is new ideas - and it needs them fast. Religion has had its millennia, and proved worthless. The centuries have revealed political philosophy as intrinsically corrupt and divisive. Science has shown itself merely the whore of commerce and power. It must be time for art and culture to try and claim back the future again, reach into the "idea space" and drag out a little hope.<br><br>That's the job of a creative community. What use are writers, artists and musicians if we can't rupture the conventional mindset and force a little cultural evolution? Who else is going to do it?<br><br>Because we have to resist these shadow men, these alien soul-killers who currently stir the pot of our world; these Bushes and Bin Ladens who conspire to promote their agenda of hatred, fear and retribution, and set us at each others' throats, inflamed in self-righteous defence of fraudulent God or bogus ideology. They have to be disabled and disarmed, their grip on the world's imagination broken, their ugly visions made impotent - or else we're all doomed to live as the slaves of fear, or maybe not live at all.<br><br>Of course, it may be the revolution is already underway and I'm missing it, hunkered pathetic and silent in my bunker, overwhelmed by the banality of this conspiracy of terror, frustrated and unequal to the challenge of opposing it. Maybe others are more prepared for engagement, poised to birth a new spirit of creative resistance from the inevitable violent and bloody spasm that will soon end the claustrophobia of this year's phony war. <br><br>Or perhaps a clear fresh rain of enlightenment is already filtering among the grassroots, subversive rumours of peace and possibility virally propagating around the globe, from keyboard to screen to keyboard, from lip to ear, canvas to eye, and mind to heart. The young might sense it; mutant kids already riding a new wave clear of disaster, new music, new rhythms in their heads, new anger to pierce the ugly veil of lies - a strange new language to give the future voice. <br><br>I hope so: Because if not, then disillusioned old whisky priests like me will be forced to stop whining, pull our heads from our arseholes and face up to our responsibilities, risking our fragile sanity again to scavenge our reluctant keyboards for fresh ways to influence the story of the world with our shallow and insubstantial word and picture books. And it already feels like I've been pissing into the wind forever.<br><br>But I'm a writer. What the hell else am I good for? And as an old pal of mine has often tediously repeated: "You shouldn't join if you can't take a joke." <br><br>So see you in the funny books, I guess. <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Stuff

Postby biaothanatoi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:52 am

The problem with Morrison is that he's beyond bright ... but occultism is his basic philosophical foundation - and there are a heap of incredibly optimistic assumptions that underpin occultism - and, despite the complexity of Morrison's thinking, I don't think he's ever challenged that.<br><br>Occultism attacts people because it's basically the efficacy or primary of the individual - unlike religion, occultism has the *I* walk the path to the godhead, not the *we*. The "social" doesn't exist in occultism and it doesn't feature in Morrison's work - his "enlightened" individuals are transcendent, non-contingent, floating in a vacuum and capable of spontaneous and creative thinking/acting regardless of context or background.<br><br>That picture might be incandescent and inspiring ... but only up to a point. If it's the only way that you look at the world you are in for a big disappointment. The Invisibles was brilliant but frankly I thought The Filth was depressed, indulgent crap. If it's indicative of his general psychological trajectory ... well, he may well have to start applying his own adage - adapt or die. <p></p><i></i>
biaothanatoi

Re: Stuff

Postby Attack Ships on Fire » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:25 pm

Morrison's work in "Invisibles" is a big bag of fringe, paranormal and parapolitical ideas rolled into a superhero/spy motif. It's fun reading but on my personal list it's not his best work, but it's definitely worthwhile to check out.<br><br>In my opinion his best stuff came with "Doom Patrol" and "Animal Man", especially the run up to the reveal where AM met his own creator. I think this is Morrison's best because it deconstructs comics in an entirely new fashion. It also has a wonderful sense of atmosphere; for once a superhero's relationship with his family really shines through. If you're a member of the Justice League and working full time as a superhero, how do you support your family? How do you provide for their safety? I dig that sort of stuff. All of this was revolutionary in the late 1980s.<br><br>I agree with the above poster that Morrison's stuff is hit or miss; I too didn't enjoy "The Filth" but I greatly enjoyed "We3" (it's also a brilliant piece of experimental sequential storytelling by Frank Quietly). If you dug "Invisibles" check out his "Flex Mentallo" mini-series which touches on some of the same themes of what is reality; the trouble will be in trying to find some copies of that comic. A lawsuit launched and won by Atlas Industries has kept the comic from being reprinted. Also check out his stuff on "Doom Patrol" which was where Flex was first introduced.<br><br>Grant also claims to have had an alien abduction experience while high on something while in Katmandu. He doesn't understand what may have happened to him during the experience but he's not certain if it was by real entities, imaginary forces of perception or something in-between.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Attack Ships on Fire

Return to Media and Information Technology