Video editing technology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Video editing technology

Postby NewKid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:21 am

From 2002:<br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Deleting people or objects from live video, or inserting prerecorded people or objects into live scenes, is only the beginning of the deceptions becoming possible. Pretty much any piece of video that has ever been recorded is becoming clip art that producers can digitally sculpt into the story they want to tell, according to Eric Haseltine, senior vice president for R&D at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, Calif. With additional video manipulation technologies, previously recorded actors can be made to say and do things they have never actually done or said. "You can have dead actors star again in entirely new movies," says Haseltine.<br><br>Contemporary shots featuring footage of dead performers have been around for several years. But the Hollywood illusion-craft that, for example, inserted John Wayne into a TV commercial required painstaking, frame-by-frame post-production work by skilled technicians. There's a big difference now, says Haseltine: "What used to take an hour [per video frame], now can be done in a sixtieth of a second." This dramatic speed-up means that manipulation can be done in real time, on the fly, as a camera records or broadcasts. Not only can John Wayne, Fred Astaire or Saddam Hussein be virtually inserted into pre-produced ads, they could be inserted into, say, a live broadcast of The Drew Carey Show. <br><br>The combination of real-time, virtual insertion with existing and emerging post-production techniques opens up a world of manipulative opportunity. Consider Video Rewrite technology, which its developers at the Interval Corp. and the University of California, Berkeley first demonstrated publicly three years ago. With just a few minutes of video of someone talking, their system captures and stores a set of video snapshots of the way that a person's mouth-area looks and moves when saying different sets of sounds. Drawing from the resulting library of "visemes" makes it possible to depict the person seeming to say anything the producers dream up-including utterances that the subject wouldn't be caught dead saying. <br><br><br>In one test application, computer scientist Christoph Bregler, now of Stanford University, and colleagues digitized two minutes of public-domain footage of President John F. Kennedy speaking during the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. Using the resulting viseme library, the researchers created "animations" of Kennedy's mouth saying things he never said, among them, "I never met Forrest Gump." With technology like this, near-future political activists conceivably will be able to orchestrate webcasts of their opponents saying things that might make Howard Stern sound like a mensch. <br><br>Haseltine believes video manipulation techniques will quickly be carried to their logical extreme: "I can predict with absolute certainty," he says, "that one person sitting at a computer will be able to write a script, design characters, do the lighting and wardrobe, do all of the acting and dialog, and post production, distribute it on a broadband network, do all of this on a laptop-and viewers won't know the difference." <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=12115&ch=infotech&sc=&pg=4" target="top">www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=12115&ch=infotech&sc=&pg=4</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Video editing technology

Postby OnoI812 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:27 am

gives one a whole new perspective to the movie "running man". <br><br><br>I have no doubt these techniques are in daily media use by now, and I'm sure every member of a congress committee chair has one of these vids of himself/herself placed in a compromizing position with an underage child, whether it was done via the old fashioned method or this new hi tech method.<br><br>As neat as these advancements are, my belief is that the real fun begins when they break out their holographic toys. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=onoi812>OnoI812</A> at: 10/5/06 4:29 am<br></i>
OnoI812

Postby 4911 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:45 am

"That wasnt an american airlines! That wasnt an american airliner!"<br> -woman by the hotdog stand<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=4911>4911</A> at: 10/5/06 5:46 am<br></i>

Postby postrchild » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 am

or what happens when they start "inventing" evidence against leftists.....like a doctored image of me planting an explosive that I never truly had anything to do with! Hell, with this tech, they could false flag something, arrest you on charges, even though you have no culpability, while interrogating record the "visemes" then produce a "jihad video" of me saying foul things about America, "pipeline" it to CNN and then I am the next American foe. Video has now become so compromised it cant be trusted anymore. <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Why do the 7.7 "martyr" videos come to mind? <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Funny that after movies like 'Wag the Dog' and 'Forrest Gump' that people would still send their children to Fallujah based on the 'latest bin Laden video of him burning the American flag while campaigning for Kerry.'<br><br>Funny that they'd watch the WTC explode up and out and believe 'collapse.'<br><br>Once people have been prepped to see something, they see it.<br>Magicians, hypnotists, and fortune-tellers know this.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby OnoI812 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:17 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>.like a doctored image of me planting an explosive that I never truly had anything to do with! Hell, with this tech, they could false flag something, arrest you on charges, even though you have no culpability<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Thus, my reference to the movie " The Running Man",<br>Schwarznegger's character is framed that way. In fact this is a running theme in many recent hollywood productions, "Minority Report" also comes to mind, although it is a slighly different twist.<br><br>The World(especially the western world) is currently a high tech prison, It's just that most inmates haven't realized it yet. But they're starting to wake up. The "rogue states" are those that haven't fully "signed on" with the program yet. They will be brought to heel soon. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=onoi812>OnoI812</A> at: 10/5/06 8:25 pm<br></i>
OnoI812

Return to Media and Information Technology