Judge orders immediate halt to NSA eavesdropping/unconst.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Judge orders immediate halt to NSA eavesdropping/unconst.

Postby pugzleyca3 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:47 pm

<br>I was going to delete this because someone else posted and I didn't see it but I don't think I can. Anyway, here's CNN's:<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/17/domesticspying.lawsuit/index.html">www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>NSA eavesdropping program ruled unconstitutional<br>Judge orders immediate halt to program<br><br>Thursday, August 17, 2006; Posted: 12:57 p.m. EDT (16:57 GMT) <br><br> <br>Political Science Degree Online<br>Earn a political science degree. 100% online. Free info. Learn more.<br>www.apu.apus.edu Political Science Products<br>Get a great price on Political Science Products. Save time and money every time...<br>www.dealtime.com Political Science Products<br>Find, compare and buy Political Science Products. Read product reviews and...<br>www.shopping.com <br>More Useful Links <br>• Notebook Computers<br>• Online Shopping<br>• Discount Travel<br> <br>RELATED<br>• Judge's ruling (PDF) <br>YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS<br> <br> American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) <br> Justice and Rights <br> Civil Rights <br> National Security Agency (NSA) <br> or Create Your Own <br>Manage Alerts | What Is This? (CNN) -- A federal judge on Thursday ruled that the U.S. government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered it ended immediately.<br><br>In a 44-page memorandum and order, U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor, -- who is based in Detroit, Michigan --struck down the National Security Agency's program, which she said violates the rights to free speech and privacy.<br><br>Taylor's ruling stems from a case filed by the American Civil Liberties Union. According to The Associated Press, Taylor is the first judge to rule the eavesdropping program unconstitutional. (Read the complete ruling -- PDF)<br><br>The defendants "are permanently enjoined from directly or indirectly utilizing the Terrorist Surveillance Program (TSP) in any way, including, but not limited to, conducting warrantless wiretaps of telephone and Internet communications, in contravention of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and Title III," she wrote.<br><br>She further declared that the program "violates the separation of powers doctrine, the Administrative Procedures Act, the First and Fourth amendments to the United States Constitution, the FISA and Title III."<br><br>She went on to say that "The president of the United States ... has undisputedly violated the Fourth in failing to procure judicial orders."<br><br>The lawsuit, filed January 17 by civil rights organizations, lawyers, journalists and educators, "challenges the constitutionality of a secret government program to intercept vast quantities of the international telephone and Internet communications of innocent Americans without court approval." <br><br>The judge rejected the government's argument that the program is within the president's authority, according to the AP.<br><br>Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pugzleyca3>pugzleyca3</A> at: 8/17/06 12:49 pm<br></i>
pugzleyca3

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to The "War on Terror"