Commandos storm British embassy

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Commandos storm British embassy

Postby Sweejak » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:31 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Embassy spokeswoman Karen Kaufman said: "As far as the embassy is concerned, the event is over."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Mr Injaz is said to have feared he may have been killed by Palestinian militants, and that Israeli authorities refused to help him.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Seems the Israelis want to help him now.<br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Commandos storm Tel Aviv embassy<br> <br>Mr Injaz wanted asylum in the UK<br>Israeli police commandos have stormed a British embassy compound in Tel Aviv to capture a man who broke in and demanded asylum in the UK.<br>Nadim Injaz, 28, from Ramallah in the West Bank, had threatened to kill himself on live television if he did not get asylum.<br><br>Mr Injaz is a Palestinian and is reported to have been an informant.<br><br>He was chased down an alleyway by officers, held and taken off the compound, the BBC's Paul Adams said.<br><br>Our correpsondent said there were no shots fired and no injuries. He said it was believe food given to Mr Injaz may have contained a sedative to slow down his reactions.<br><br> <br> Someone should come and help me. No one wants to help me <br>Nadim Injaz<br><br>Mr Injaz was reported to have been armed with a pistol, but this was later found to have been a toy gun, police told Israel's Channel 10 TV, news agency Reuters reported.<br><br>The man, who entered the compound several hours earlier, had reportedly told another Israeli broadcaster, Channel 2: "Someone should come and help me. No one wants to help me."<br><br>Mr Injaz is said to have feared he may have been killed by Palestinian militants, and that Israeli authorities refused to help him.<br><br>It is thought he scaled a fence to enter the compound.<br><br>Embassy spokeswoman Karen Kaufman said: "As far as the embassy is concerned, the event is over."<br><br>BBC Jerusalem correspondent Nick Thorpe said the British embassy is a secure modern building near the seafront in Tel Aviv, with a high metal fence and security barriers.<br><br>Visitors to the embassy are normally screened by guards at the gate.<br><br>Our correspondent said incidents of this nature were very rare despite the large number of Israeli citizens who carry firearms.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5302298.stm?ls">news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_ne...298.stm?ls</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to The "War on Terror"