Military-clad passenger tries to exit plane mid-flight

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Military-clad passenger tries to exit plane mid-flight

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:05 am

Passenger Disrupts Cross-Country Flight<br>By MATTHEW BARAKAT<br>Associated Press Writer<br><br>A man wearing military fatigues and throwing punches into the air tried to open the exit door of a jet during a cross-country flight on Tuesday night, airline officials and passengers said.<br><br>United Airlines Flight 890 from Los Angeles landed as scheduled at Washington Dulles International Airport at 8:35 p.m., said Amy Kudwa, a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman. No one was injured.<br><br>Ken Wolfenberger, of Whittier, Calif., who was on the flight, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that he helped subdue the unruly passenger.<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong> The man wore patches on his fatigues with special forces and jujitsu champion logos, Wolfenberger said.<br><br>The man had been acting strangely for about 20 minutes, then sat up, wrapped belts around his hands and threw punches into the air</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, Wolfenberger said.<br><br>Wolfenberger said he heard a flight attendant yell for help and tell the man, "Sir, get your hand off the handle."<br><br>"Any time you hear a flight attendant shout 'please help,' you worry that something pretty bad is going to happen," he said.<br><br>Wolfenberger said the man was held down and punched by other passengers as he grabbed the man's leg. Air marshals then came and took custody of the man.<br><br>The passenger became unruly about 3 1/2 hours into the flight, said United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy.<br><br>"After the passenger was restrained, the pilot decided to land at Dulles," McCarthy said. "It wasn't an emergency landing."<br><br>Airport police and FBI agents met the flight and were interviewing the passenger, said FBI spokeswoman Debbie Wierman.<br><br>There were 138 passengers and six crew members on board, McCarthy said.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amtonline.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=2744">www.amtonline.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Military-clad passenger tries to exit plane mid-flight

Postby streeb » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:24 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Wolfenberger said the man was held down and punched by other passengers as he grabbed the man's leg. Air marshals then came and took custody of the man.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Good thing the Air Marshals were on the ball. A man in fatigues is seen "acting strangely" for 20 minutes, and the passengers have to subdue him. Sheesh.<br><br>On edit: oh wait, the Air Marshals are on the ground, aren't they. I'll shut up now and drink this coffee. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=streeb>streeb</A> at: 9/13/06 12:25 pm<br></i>
streeb

Re: Military-clad passenger tries to exit plane mid-flight

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:07 am

Terra alert! <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Return to The "War on Terror"