In which I talk on Science Friday

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

In which I talk on Science Friday

Postby bvonahsen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 pm

I was on <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sciencefriday.com/">Science Friday</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> today on the segment on String Theory. So I thought I would toot my own horn a little<br><br>Guests:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Lee Smolin<br>Author, "The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, The Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next" (Houghton Mifflin, 2006)<br>Faculty Member, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics<br>Toronto, Ontario, Canada<br><br>Brain Greene<br>Author, "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" (WW Norton and Co., 2003); "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality" (Knopf, 2004)<br>Professor of Mathematics and Physics<br>Columbia University<br>New York, New York <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The Problem:<br><br>String theory just doesn't seem to be working out and is failing to produce verifiable and testable ideas that can be put to the experimental physists to prove or disprove. That is how it usually works; the theorists propose and the experimentalists try to shoot 'em down. That's the Idea anyway, thing is, it hasn't been working so well. This comming from one of string theories' major proponents, Lee Smolin.<br><br>I could have put my own ideas forward. Namely that perhaps by hoarding information as the secret parts of our government (the powers that be, the shadow government, the millitary/industrial complex, the nine) are wont to do, perhaps by removing certain things from public knowledge they have crippled scientific advances. If the scientific community doesn't have all the information available to it, it is hardly surprising they are getting nowhere of late.<br><br>But if I had said that, they would have politely nodded and not heard a thing I said. So I put it very generally:<br><br>(paraphrasing here, I don't remember it all exactly, but this is close)<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"You guys need a bigger box, you need someone to really think outside of the box, and then think oputside of <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>that</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> box. Maybe there is something in how you think, in the scientific community as a whole, that is introducing a bias somewhere."<br><br>"You need to go way back in the descision tree and... maybe what you think is a root is really just another branch."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>And they kind of hemmed and hawwed and were a little defensive, these are bright guys and I think they had an idea of what I was getting at, but I got heard. Which was all I wanted in the first place. It just might sink in later on, you never know. You see, I kind of think of myself as a cell in the body politic. My task is to take in information and then express a meme, just like a cells' task is to take in proteins and express a gene. This forum is a social organ that supports many cells performing simular functions. <br><br>This meme needed to get passed on to the larger body, so to speak, but I couldn't use the words we use here. So I wrapped it up in a little sugar and sent it on it's way. Someone somewhere will pick it up. Of that I am sure.<br><br>Yeah yeah, sounds kind of goofy, but that is how I think sometimes. The audio isn't available at this writing, later I suppose. And you get to hear my ugly voice... I'm Brenda from Minneapolis. I guess I could worry about being too open about my identity. (although trust me, I havn't disclosed <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>that</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> much.) But I try not to worry about it too much. There is less anonymity on the internet than you think anyways. I could, I suppose, get PGP and use Tor to surf with or any of a number of things. But I'm basically lazy and I don't think I'm that big of a fish (to mix metaphors) for anyone to worry about. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Re: In which I talk on Science Friday

Postby dude h homeslice ix » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:29 pm

hey you know what, thanks for being courageous enough to share that. we have all become so paranoid, its nice to see someone be real like that.<br><br>good for you! <p></p><i></i>
dude h homeslice ix

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby StarmanSkye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Bvonahsen sed:<br><br>"... perhaps by hoarding information as the secret parts of our government (the powers that be, the shadow government, the millitary/industrial complex, the nine) are wont to do, perhaps by removing certain things from public knowledge they have crippled scientific advances. If the scientific community doesn't have all the information available to it, it is hardly surprising they are getting nowhere of late."<br><br>*****<br>That's a very astute, intriguing suggestion/comment -- Thanks for making it. It sure DOES make one wonder. The intimately Academic-related MIC sure would have a vested interest in deliberate sabotage of groundbreaking physics in order to retain a commanding lead in and control over critical information crucial to one's military and technological superiority. Somehow, I seem to have become distracted and absent-minded, failing to consider the implications for the Pentagon's and transnational MIC scientific/technological superiority c/o America's superpower status re: affirming false experimental results and seeding error-prone theories. Considering the economic, military and political stakes given the winner-takes-all zero-sum-game 'rules' inherant in corporate-capitalism under a corrupt power-mad oligarchy, AND given the history of how the ruling elite play to 'win', including provoking wars and committing warcrimes, supporting despots and trafficing in drugs, arms, loot and humans, I don't doubt there's some serious duplicity, intimidation, blackmail, fraud, career-wrecking, backstabbing and such goings-on to keep certain scientific cooperation and communication from happening -- and to keep key knowledge proprietary.<br><br>Indeed, the way much contemporary History of Science has happened strongly suggests that much of the snobbery, elitism, arrogance, discreditting and blacklisting was the result of organized special interests muddying the waters to keep key knowledge 'safe'.<br><br>It's a dirty, dirty, dirty dirty world alright.<br><br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby yesferatu » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Cool...maybe that comment will set the gears in motion in the brain of some future visionary who will revolutionize science.<br><br>Hey, y'never know. <p></p><i></i>
yesferatu

Postby Dreams End » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:17 am

I actually had a set of solutions that allowed string theory to work perfectly and there was an easy experimental design associated to boot. Unfortunately, I left the notes in my pants pocket and my wife washed them. <br><br>I know it had something to do with the number 7.....<br><br><br>nope....<br><br>just not coming to me.<br><br>Sorry. I probably should be more careful. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Dreams End » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 am

Oh, god, I'm REALLY embarrassed. It wasn't an elegant solution to string theory issues that was in my pants pocket, it was a grocery list. <br><br>I was supposed to pick up some string CHEESE!<br><br>Sorry for the mixup. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Return to Other