0 0 0

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

0 0 0

Postby AnnaLivia » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 am

0 0 0
Last edited by AnnaLivia on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaLivia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 90-seconds Maps of War

Postby AlicetheCurious » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:15 am

Yeah, a friend of mine emailed the link to me & I also considered posting it here. But frankly, something about it creeped me out. Maybe because it presents the "history of the Middle East" as a struggle between empires, with "the Middle East" as a sort of passive receptacle, almost like a victim of gang rape.<br><br>I haven't thought enough about it to be any clearer than that, but I really didn't like it. <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

Re: 90-seconds Maps of War

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:17 pm

I like it. But then I also like <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7XwnQwG4I">Geog Vlog: : The Uk Explained</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->. <p></p><i></i>
Seamus OBlimey

Postby radagast_the_brown » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 pm

Kind of cool Flash but the political agenda is questionable.

1. Early Israel Kgm. shown with large boundaries which afaik are traditional but not archaelogically verified.

2. Modern Israel doesn't show 1967 and post 1967 expansion

Another animated map on the same site even more questionable; Iraq in Pressure Cooker. Where is the "pressure" from US, UK, Israel? I haven't looked at all the maps.

But like I said, cool Flash.
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.
J.R.R. Tolkien
radagast_the_brown

Postby barracuda » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 pm

I kind of admire the fortitude required to erase 747 posts from the forum archives, which is my understanding of what AnnaLivia did here. It lends the discussions she participated in an aire of mystery and pathos. I'm afraid when my time comes, I just won't have that much ambition.

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 am

barracuda wrote:I kind of admire the fortitude required to erase 747 posts from the forum archives, which is my understanding of what AnnaLivia did here. It lends the discussions she participated in an aire of mystery and pathos. I'm afraid when my time comes, I just won't have that much ambition.

I erased just about every post in the blog comments I ever made before joining the board. I don't think it was anything like 747 posts, but probably not so far off that mark. I still have a few stray posts over there. Seems like ages ago.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby barracuda » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 am

Why, exactly (or vaguely), would you do that?
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:49 am

I've wondered that myself and I probably still don't have a complete answer. The catalyst was when another poster Abe did it. I really enjoyed Abe's thoughts and when he/she was finally done with being baited and run around in circles by the trolls I was pissed off. So the short answer is that I did it in a fit of anger, but I am so rarely content with the short answer. Somewhere in there is a juvenile desire to create drama and "an aire of mystery and pathos". One of the oddest bits of my experience on the forum is that I am scrupulously honest here, which goes a long way toward explaining my recent silence. You would think the relative anonymity of this context would be more productive of dishonesty, by which I mean adopting a persona not your own. My posts in the blog comments were not so scrupulously honest. I wanted that record erased before I started posting on the board.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Return to Other