Stingray Leaps Into Boat, Stabs Man in Chest

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Stingray Leaps Into Boat, Stabs Man in Chest

Postby sunny » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:36 am

Geez, don't those pesky creatures know they are already in enough trouble over Steve Irwin?<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/stingray-leaps-into-boat-stabs-man-in/20061019043009990003?cid=2194">articles.news.aol.com/new...3?cid=2194</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Florida (Oct. 19) - A stingray jumped into the boat of an 81-year-old Florida man and stabbed him in the chest, leaving its long barb stuck in him, authorities said.<br><br>James Bertakis was in critical condition Thursday morning. The man was boating with his grown granddaughter and her friend Wednesday afternoon when the rare attack occurred. The women were able to steer the boat back to Bertakis' home in Lighthouse Point where they called authorities.<br><br>"It was a freak accident," said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. "It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it."<br><br>Bertakis was conscious when paramedics arrived. Surgeons were able to remove some of the barb, but were not able to locate the rest and feared it may have migrated. Bertakis suffered a closed chest wound, collapsed lung and may have to undergo open-heart surgery, rescue officials said.<br><br> <br>The roughly 5-foot wide, 30-pound stingray died on the boat, firefighters said. They kept it in a plastic bag and on ice until Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officers picked it up, Sullivan said.<br><br>Ellen Pikitch, a professor of marine biology and fisheries at the University of Miami, who has been studying stingrays for decades, said the fish are generally docile creatures.<br><br>"Something like this is really, really extraordinarily rare," she said. "I've never heard any reports of a stingray attacking a person. Even when they are under duress, they don't usually attack."<br><br>"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, 44, died Sept. 4 when a stingray's barb pierced his chest while he was filming a TV show on the Great Barrier Reef.<br><br><br>10/19/06 04:22 EDT<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Stingray Leaps Into Boat, Stabs Man in Chest

Postby Gouda » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:41 am

Tit for tat. Oddly mirroring of our own global situation. This ray was getting revenge for the moronic revenge killings of stingrays that ensued after Irwin's death. Where will this spiral of violence end? <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Stingray Leaps Into Boat, Stabs Man in Chest

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Na, gouda the thread that was up here when irwin died ...<br><br>It was on the money, Stingrays work for Al Quaeda. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Death To The Stingrays

Postby Pissed Off Cabbie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:11 am

So, when do stingrays get classified as terrorists? Lord knows, everybody else is.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://pissedoffcabbie.blogspot.com/2006/10/are-we-terrorists-yet.html">pissedoffcabbie.blogspot....s-yet.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Pissed Off Cabbie

Re: Death To The Stingrays

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:37 am

Today I heard something interesting.<br><br>For those that remember, Irwin was supposed to have pulled the barb out of chest, and the old fella in Florida didn't.<br><br>Apoparantly has been drips under pressure reckon Irwin would have lived, or at least had more chance of living if he hadn't pulled the barb out. That was gossip at the local drinking spot tho. dunno how accurate it is.<br><br>(Edited to add an m) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=joehillshoist>Joe Hillshoist</A> at: 10/20/06 5:56 am<br></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Stingray and elephants - so far...

Postby rrapt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 pm

This story reminds me of the recent news of elephants becoming more violent, killing each other and humans too. The long article on elephants seemed to conclude that a tipping point has been reached in which management by men of herds and families has screwed up their social structure; the young elephants aren't being raised right.<br><br>It is more than plausible to me that the tipping point is bigger and more worldwide than that; meaning that humankind in its blind materialist hunger has pushed many species, even the whole biosphere, out of its natural rhythm. If you refer back to the American Indian tribes, which I like to do, you see balance in the way they lived. Until the European conquerers came.<br><br>A bit too simple I know. If I were a stingray I'd be in a retaliatory mood too. <p></p><i></i>
rrapt

Return to Other