Now where have I seen this before?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Now where have I seen this before?

Postby nopui » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:09 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0375424172/ref=dp_image_0/102-5395643-3643368?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books">"The Female Thing"</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
nopui

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Now where have I seen this before?

Postby kermujin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:57 pm

holy creepers! did you pm jeff with that one?!<br>what a drag. <p></p><i></i>
kermujin

Postby nopui » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:46 pm

No, I didn't, but did consider it. I know none of my author friends would appreciate it...but then again, is it a stock photo of sorts? I don't know. <p></p><i></i>
nopui

Postby kermujin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:27 pm

It must be stock. I'm the managing editor of a publishing house, and the thought of this happening with one of our books is ... nerve-wracking, to say the least. <p></p><i></i>
kermujin

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:45 am

Yeah, I hated seeing that. Same image, different colour, cold comfort.<br><br>Has to have been a stock image that the designers bought. Won't be as if my book is rivaling it, though, since mine was published five years ago and was hardly distributed in the States. <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

now where have I seen that before?

Postby pepsified thinker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:52 am

Could it be bcahj? (book cover art high jacking?) <p></p><i></i>
pepsified thinker

"BCAH" - book cover art hijacking

Postby HughManateeWins » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

I've found a number of books that seem to be generated to hijack (inspired? plagiarized?) a concept, keyword, or other intellectual infrastructure. Walking through Borders with a digital voice recorder one day I noted atleast a few dozen. I'll dig out the list so perhaps others can see the hijack patterns. (Remember, CIA runs lots of publishing companies who then pay to feature their books on front-of-the-store displays.)

Jules Archer's 1973 history about the fascist coup attempted against FDR titled 'The Plot to Seize the White House' is shadowed by Phillip Roth's fiction about a Nazi Charles Lindburgh US government titled 'The Plot Against America.'

I heard a lengthy NPR interview with Roth that included no actual history of how Wall Street financed Hitler. Just celebrity fiction author blather.

Archer's history is in RI's own Data Dump forum under 'PDF files; online books' -
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=8577&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Archer's book is online at -
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13906.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Plot-Against-America-Novel/dp/0618509283

During his long career, Roth has shown himself a master at creating fictional doppelgängers. In this stunning novel, he creates a mesmerizing alternate world as well, in which Charles A. Lindbergh defeats FDR in the 1940 presidential election, and Philip, his parents and his brother weather the storm in Newark, N.J. Incorporating Lindbergh's actual radio address in which he accused the British and the Jews of trying to force America into a foreign war, Roth builds an eerily logical narrative that shows how isolationists in and out of government, emboldened by Lindbergh's blatant anti-Semitism (he invites von Ribbentrop to the White House, etc.), enact new laws and create an atmosphere of religious hatred that culminates in nationwide pogroms.
HughManateeWins

Postby PeterofLoneTree » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:00 pm

This all reminds me of one of the first socio-political books I ever read: "The Hidden Persuaders" by Vance Packard.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Packard
"His million-selling book The Hidden Persuaders, about media manipulation of the populace in the 1950s was a forerunner of pop sociology: science-based thinking without the weight of detail or eloquence, geared for sale to the mass market.

"In The Hidden Persuaders,
first published in 1957 (emph. PoLT), Packard explores the use of consumer motivational research and other psychological techniques, including depth psychology and subliminal tactics, by advertisers to manipulate expectations and induce desire for products, particularly in the American postwar era. It also explores the manipulative techniques of promoting politicians to the electorate. The book questions the morality of using these techniques."
PeterofLoneTree

Apologies...

Postby HughManateeWins » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:00 pm

...for that jpg stretching the page out too far...but it shows the evidence quite well. :idea:
HughManateeWins

Return to Other