Reciprocality.org - Distorted reality view of humans

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Reciprocality.org - Distorted reality view of humans

Postby Penguin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:45 am

Link to site:
http://www.datamodel.co.uk/Reciprocality/www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/index.html

Link to whole site as single pdf:
http://www.datamodel.co.uk/Reciprocality/www.reciprocality.org/pdf/reciprocality.pdf

Some excerpts:

"This project began as a bit of practical industrial psychology, and ended up unfolding into an understanding of how most people in most human societies have a consistently distorted view of everything. Not everyone is caught in the confusion, and as the picture emerged, an alternative model of relationships between observable phenomena that seems to be experienced by creative programmers in software engineering, star diagnosticians in medicine, great physicists and mathematicians, so-called ADHD children, people who "Know Quality" in industry, poets, painters, sculptors and mystics became describable - but only in its own terms. The alternative picture is wholly rational, but not reductionistic. Best of all, it is scientifically grounded and experimentally testable. If the experiments fail we can junk it. If they work, we've learned something important.

By watching creative software engineers I learned how to teach the necessary state of mind to people who thought they couldn't do it. Then the similarity between creative engineers and children diagnosed as ADHD led to a remarkable idea. Important features of our culture put most people into a state where their brain chemistry is out of balance by age six, and this actually turns part of their awareness off. Get a whole society in this state, and they create a powerful logical blindspot that stops anyone seeing what is happening. The two effects protect each other and cause an awful lot of trouble."

"Artificial Discipline: Neurochemistry

M0 is a previously unsuspected public health problem. It is ancient and vast, and only fragments of information regarding its origins and the psychological state of humans prior to its instantiation have passed down to us. It consists of a neurochemical effect induced by boring social conditions that people get addicted to like some athletes get addicted to their own adrenaline and end up B. A. S. E. jumping.

People so hooked on their own boredom products lose access to a whole layer of cognitive abilities based on the use of precisely tuned feedback loops in the brain. The trouble is, they don't even notice anything is wrong, firstly because they can't see what they can no longer see, and secondly because they experience an artificial sense of well-being and see repetitive behaviour as an inherent good. They are also distressed by novelty, because it induces a physiological withdrawal. There is a cultural distortion produced by having a majority of people in this state, which makes it difficult to ask the questions that would expose it. There is natural immunity, and natural immunes have their own interesting strengths (and weaknesses, in the circumstances). It's why some people are more "with it" than others. They just aren't sick in this sense, and so they can perceive and then dynamically replan to include, the implicit.

Ritual junkies don't know they are junkies and so have no opportunity to exercise their will in the face of addictive behaviour. They get nasty when deprived of ritual or subjected to novelty. It's why programming, which should always be about solving new problems every time, degrades into ritualised bullying to "follow procedures" with empty outcomes in commercial settings. The ritual is more important than the result, and most people don't have the cognitive capacity to be fluent with problem domains and understand programs holistically, as non-trivial systems must be understood."
Last edited by Penguin on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Penguin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 am

Bump :D

(yeah wasnt bout anything specific...was just thinkin about this in the morning and reading some of the site)
Last edited by Penguin on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin

Postby OP ED » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:37 am

i have the pdf from the last time you gave it to me.
OP ED

Postby nathan28 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 pm

links are broken
nathan28

Postby Penguin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm

nathan28 wrote:links are broken

Thanks, Ill either find the new address or put the pdf up...I have it.

Edit: Thanks nathan28 - Fixed now, they had just changed their address..
Penguin

Fascinating.

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:37 am

...but I'm still trying to find what "M0" stands for.
I hate it when people don't define their acronyms.

"I tested the blindspot idea by applying it to some profound mysteries in current physics, and answers came rolling out!
Then things got very Indiana Jones."

haw! Talk about blind spots...
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Penguin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:56 am

Yeah, well, theyre computer coders mostly = nerds, you gotta cut em some slack vs Star Trek and Indiana Jones ;=) And theyre all ADD/ADHD types, so if you cant at once grab what theyre after, give em a little slack :) Unless youre one too - I know Im not, except when escaping the babilon... ;)

Basically their thesis is in big part that most of humanity is addicted on their own dopamine system. Meaning - people have become adapted to being bored, doing repetitive tasks without thinking much. Dopamine makes this possible (is their theory) - and unlike the other great apes, we can do menial tasks for a long time. ADD/ADHD people have a dopamine system that is more like that in hunter/gatherer societies, and they cant take being bored. Their minds jump all the time from novelty to novelty, and piece together the world somewhat differently. Thats why these people are medicated now with manufactured dopamine replacements - they arent good material for the producer society otherwise...

As most people are dopamine junkies, they react badly to being bothered with something that is new or needs their conscious effort to work out, since that takes a lot more effort and requires activation of all those cybernetic feedback systems in the brains. Hence, the "hacker mentality" - I want to see how it ticks, just because I can, or how many ways can one misuse a piece of code or hardware...
Penguin

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:38 am

Penguin wrote:.....
As most people are dopamine junkies, they react badly to being bothered with something that is new or needs their conscious effort to work out, since that takes a lot more effort and requires activation of all those cybernetic feedback systems in the brains. Hence, the "hacker mentality" - I want to see how it ticks, just because I can, or how many ways can one misuse a piece of code or hardware...

I agree with that and that seems to be the meatiest conclusion I could find on the site.

Our brains evolved over eons in a literal face-value physical environment where things were what they seemed and we didn't need multiple definitions and metaphor and layers of meaning.

*Don't fall out of your tree.
*An apple is an apple and a snake isn't. (Reminds me of a story...)

I think this is why many brains don't want to know more than how to not fall out their tree and how to find an apple. Cognitive dissonance = threat.

This excerpt describes too many people I care for-

"People so hooked on their own boredom products lose access to a whole layer of cognitive abilities based on the use of precisely tuned feedback loops in the brain. The trouble is, they don't even notice anything is wrong, firstly because they can't see what they can no longer see, and secondly because they experience an artificial sense of well-being and see repetitive behaviour as an inherent good. They are also distressed by novelty, because it induces a physiological withdrawal. There is a cultural distortion produced by having a majority of people in this state, which makes it difficult to ask the questions that would expose it. There is natural immunity, and natural immunes have their own interesting strengths (and weaknesses, in the circumstances). It's why some people are more "with it" than others. They just aren't sick in this sense, and so they can perceive and then dynamically replan to include, the implicit.

Ritual junkies don't know they are junkies and so have no opportunity to exercise their will in the face of addictive behaviour. They get nasty when deprived of ritual or subjected to novelty. It's why programming, which should always be about solving new problems every time, degrades into ritualised bullying to "follow procedures" with empty outcomes in commercial settings. The ritual is more important than the result, and most people don't have the cognitive capacity to be fluent with problem domains and understand programs holistically, as non-trivial systems must be understood."
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby tazmic » Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 am

...but I'm still trying to find what "M0" stands for.

A Note on Terminology

The existence of the phenomenon eventually described in this paper as M0 was originally recognised by two independent workers. Carter referred to it as the "Stupidity Virus", some sort of socially induced cognition damaging state of mind that he had successfully broken while studying how to teach software engineering. Allsopp called it "The Monster", a bizarre emergent social phenomenon that he had recognised through several inexplicable common characteristics that prevented him getting people to look at his remarkable results working on the education of so-called ADHD children, which his evidence showed was a genetically related "condition".

Since Allsopp's term was better it was adopted by Carter as the investigation continued, they merged their data to reveal a genetic immunity to a socially conditioned disorder, and "The Monster" became a concrete thing rather than a conceptual bucket for an inexplicable phenomenon. As he was preparing to write this paper, Carter's feedback exploiting cognition popped the naturally immune science fiction author Robert Anson Heinlein up to point out that what the species has been ravaged by is a Monster - it probably has a big family. Since we have spent the last 6,000 years cavorting about in a mind-numbing feedback loop and nearly trashed our planet in the process thanks to this one, we will be very keen to go hunting other Monsters before they see us. We must give the fully conscious workers that will spot them every bit of help we can, and full consciousness uses aesthetics in all sorts of ways. We will need to distinguish between Monsters that we find, and will probably want to use lots of lovely group theory to describe their ways, so Carter selected M0 (em-zero) to look good on paper, since group theory was all great runes and a few squiggles last time he looked, and his word processor doesn't do squiggles.
tazmic

Postby Penguin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:36 am

Funny, some buddhist folks seem to use the same term in a similar way ;)

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/min ... lish_3.php

MEDITATION: WHY BOTHER?

Meditation is not easy. It takes time and it takes energy. It also takes grit, determination and discipline. It requires a host of personal qualities which we normally regard as unpleasant and which we like to avoid whenever possible. We can sum it all up in the American word 'gumption'. Meditation takes 'gumption'. It is certainly a great deal easier just to kick back and watch television. So why bother? Why waste all that time and energy when you could be out enjoying yourself? Why bother? Simple. Because you are human. And just because of the simple fact that you are human, you find yourself heir to an inherent unsatisfactoriness in life which simply will not go away. You can suppress it from your awareness for a time. You can distract yourself for hours on end, but it always comes back--usually when you least expect it. All of a sudden, seemingly out of the blue, you sit up, take stock, and realize your actual situation in life.

There you are, and you suddenly realize that you are spending your whole life just barely getting by. You keep up a good front. You manage to make ends meet somehow and look OK from the outside. But those periods of desperation, those times when you feel everything caving in on you, you keep those to yourself. You are a mess. And you know it. But you hide it beautifully. Meanwhile, way down under all that you just know there has got be some other way to live, some better way to look at the world, some way to touch life more fully. You click into it by chance now and then. You get a good job. You fall in love. You win the game. and for a while, things are different. Life takes on a richness and clarity that makes all the bad times and humdrum fade away. The whole texture of your experience changes and you say to yourself, "OK, now I've made it; now I will be happy". But then that fades, too, like smoke in the wind. You are left with just a memory. That and a vague awareness that something is wrong.

But there is really another whole realm of depth and sensitivity available in life, somehow, you are just not seeing it. You wind up feeling cut off. You feel insulated from the sweetness of experience by some sort of sensory cotton. You are not really touching life. You are not making it again. And then even that vague awareness fades away, and you are back to the same old reality. The world looks like the usual foul place, which is boring at best. It is an emotional roller coaster, and you spend a lot of your time down at the bottom of the ramp, yearning for the heights.

So what is wrong with you? Are you a freak? No. You are just human. And you suffer from the same malady that infects every human being. It is a monster in side all of us, and it has many arms: Chronic tension, lack of genuine compassion for others, including the people closest to you, feelings being blocked up, and emotional deadness. Many, many arms. None of us is entirely free from it. We may deny it. We try to suppress it. We build a whole culture around hiding from it, pretending it is not there, and distracting ourselves from it with goals and projects and status. But it never goes away. It is a constant undercurrent in every thought and every perception; a little wordless voice at the back of the head saying, "Not good enough yet. Got to have more. Got to make it better. Got to be better." It is a monster, a monster that manifests everywhere in subtle forms.

Go to a party. Listen to the laughter, that brittle-tongued voice that says fun on the surface and fear underneath. Feel the tension, feel the pressure. Nobody really relaxes. They are faking it. Go to a ball game. Watch the fan in the stand. Watch the irrational fit of anger. Watch the uncontrolled frustration bubbling forth from people that masquerades under the guise of enthusiasm, or team spirit. Booing, cat-calls and unbridled egotism in the name of team loyalty. Drunkenness, fights in the stands. These are the people trying desperately to release tension from within. These are not people who are at peace with themselves. Watch the news on TV. Listen to the lyrics in popular songs. You find the same theme repeated over and over in variations. Jealousy, suffering, discontent and stress.

Life seems to be a perpetual struggle, some enormous effort against staggering odds. And what is our solution to all this dissatisfaction? We get stuck in the ' If only' syndrome. If only I had more money, then I would be happy. If only I can find somebody who really loves me, if only I can lose 20 pounds, if only I had a color TV, Jacuzzi, and curly hair, and on and on forever. So where does all this junk come from and more important, what can we do about it? It comes from the conditions of our own minds. It is deep, subtle and pervasive set of mental habits, a Gordian knot which we have built up bit by bit and we can unravel just the same way, one piece at a time. We can tune up our awareness, dredge up each separate piece and bring it out into the light. We can make the unconscious conscious, slowly, one piece at a time.

The essence of our experience is change. Change is incessant. Moment by moment life flows by and it is never the same. Perpetual alteration is the essence of the perceptual universe. A thought springs up in your head and half a second later, it is gone. In comes another one, and that is gone too. A sound strikes your ears and then silence. Open your eyes and the world pours in, blink and it is gone. People come into your life and they leave again. Friends go, relatives die. Your fortunes go up and they go down. Sometimes you win and just as often you lose. It is incessant: change, change, change. No two moments ever the same.

There is not a thing wrong with this. It is the nature of the universe. But human culture has taught us some odd responses to this endless flowing. We categorize experiences. We try to stick each perception, every mental change in this endless flow into one of three mental pigeon holes. It is good, or it is bad, or it is neutral. Then, according to which box we stick it in, we perceive with a set of fixed habitual mental responses. If a particular perception has been labeled 'good', then we try to freeze time right there. We grab onto that particular thought, we fondle it, we hold it, we try to keep it from escaping. When that does not work, we go all-out in an effort to repeat the experience which caused that thought. Let us call this mental habit 'grasping'.

Over on the other side of the mind lies the box labeled 'bad'. When we perceive something 'bad', we try to push it away. We try to deny it, reject it, get rid of it any way we can. We fight against our own experience. We run from pieces of ourselves. Let us call this mental habit 'rejecting'. Between these two reactions lies the neutral box. Here we place the experiences which are neither good nor bad. They are tepid, neutral, uninteresting and boring. We pack experience away in the neutral box so that we can ignore it and thus return our attention to where the action is, namely our endless round of desire and aversion. This category of experience gets robbed of its fair share of our attention. Let us call this mental habit 'ignoring'. The direct result of all this lunacy is a perpetual treadmill race to nowhere, endlessly pounding after pleasure, endlessly fleeing from pain, endlessly ignoring 90 percent of our experience. Then wondering why life tastes so flat. In the final analysis, it's a system that does not work.

No matter how hard you pursue pleasure and success, there are times when you fail. No matter how fast you flee, there are times when pain catches up with you. And in between those times, life is so boring you could scream. Our minds are full of opinions and criticisms. We have built walls all around ourselves and we are trapped with the prison of our own lies and dislikes. We suffer. Suffering is a big word in Buddhist thought. It is a key term and it should be thoroughly understood. The Pali word is 'dukkha', and it does not just mean the agony of the body. It means the deep, subtle sense of unsatisfactoriness which is a part of every mental treadmill. The essence of life is suffering, said the Buddha. At first glance this seems exceedingly morbid and pessimistic. It even seems untrue. After all, there are plenty of times when we are happy. Aren't there? No, there are not. It just seems that way. Take any moment when you feel really fulfilled and examine it closely. Down under the joy, you will find that subtle, all-pervasive undercurrent of tension, that no matter how great the moment is, it is going to end. No matter how much you just gained, you are either going to lose some of it or spend the rest of your days guarding what you have got and scheming how to get more. And in the end, you are going to die. In the end, you lose everything. It is all transitory.

Sounds pretty bleak, doesn't it? Luckily it's not; not at all. It only sounds bleak when you view it from the level of ordinary mental perspective, the very level at which the treadmill mechanism operates. Down under that level lies another whole perspective, a completely different way to look at the universe. It is a level of functioning where the mind does not try to freeze time, where we do not grasp onto our experience as it flows by, where we do not try to block things out and ignore them. It is a level of experience beyond good and bad, beyond pleasure and pain. It is a lovely way to perceive the world, and it is a learnable skill. It is not easy, but is learnable.

Happiness and peace. Those are really the prime issues in human existence. That is what all of us are seeking. This often is a bit hard to see because we cover up those basic goals with layers of surface objectives. We want food, we want money, we want sex, possessions and respect. We even say to ourselves that the idea of 'happiness' is too abstract: "Look, I am practical. Just give me enough money and I will buy all the happiness I need". Unfortunately, this is an attitude that does not work. Examine each of these goals and you will find they are superficial. You want food. Why? Because I am hungry. So you are hungry, so what? Well if I eat, I won't be hungry and then I'll feel good. Ah ha! Feel good! Now there is a real item. What we really seek is not the surface goals. They are just means to an end. What we are really after is the feeling of relief that comes when the drive is satisfied. Relief, relaxation and an end to the tension. Peace, happiness, no more yearning.

So what is this happiness? For most of us, the perfect happiness would mean getting everything we wanted, being in control of everything, playing Caesar, making the whole world dance a jig according to our every whim. Once again, it does not work that way. Take a look at the people in history who have actually held this ultimate power. These were not happy people. Most assuredly they were not men at peace with themselves. Why? Because they were driven to control the world totally and absolutely and they could not. They wanted to control all men and there remained men who refused to be controlled. They could not control the stars. They still got sick. They still had to die.

You can't ever get everything you want. It is impossible. Luckily, there is another option. You can learn to control your mind, to step outside of this endless cycle of desire and aversion. You can learn to not want what you want, to recognize desires but not be controlled by them. This does not mean that you lie down on the road and invite everybody to walk all over you . It means that you continue to live a very normal-looking life, but live from a whole new viewpoint. You do the things that a person must do, but you are free from that obsessive, compulsive drivenness of your own desires. You want something, but you don't need to chase after it. You fear something, but you don't need to stand there quaking in your boots. This sort of mental culture is very difficult. It takes years. But trying to control everything is impossible, and the difficult is preferable to the impossible.

Wait a minute, though. Peace and happiness! Isn't that what civilization is all about? We build skyscrapers and freeways. We have paid vacations, TV sets. We provide free hospitals and sick leaves, Social Security and welfare benefits. All of that is aimed at providing some measure of peace and happiness. Yet the rate of mental illness climbs steadily, and the crime rates rise faster. The streets are crawling with delinquents and unstable individuals. Stick your arms outside the safety of your own door and somebody is very likely to steal your watch! Something is not working. A happy man does not feel driven to kill. We like to think that our society is exploiting every area of human knowledge in order to achieve peace and happiness. We are just beginning to realize that we have overdeveloped the material aspect of existence at the expense of the deeper emotional and spiritual aspect, and we are paying the price for that error. It is one thing to talk about degeneration of moral and spiritual fiber in America today, and another thing to do something about it. The place to start is within ourselves. Look carefully inside, truly and objectively, and each of us will see moments when "I am the punk" and "I am the crazy". We will learn to see those moments, see them clearly, cleanly and without condemnation, and we will be on our way up and out of being so.

You can't make radical changes in the pattern of your life until you begin to see yourself exactly as you are now. As soon as you do that, changes flow naturally. You don't have to force or struggle or obey rules dictated to you by some authority. You just change. It is automatic. But arriving at the initial insight is quite a task. You've got to see who you are and how you are, without illusion, judgement or resistance of any kind. You've got to see your own place in society and your function as a social being. You've got to see your duties and obligations to your fellow human beings, and above all, your responsibility to yourself as an individual living with other individuals. And you've got to see all of that clearly and as a unit, a single gestalt of interrelationship. It sounds complex, but it often occurs in a single instant. Mental culture through meditation is without rival in helping you achieve this sort of understanding and serene happiness.

The Dhammapada is an ancient Buddhist text which anticipated Freud by thousands of years. It says: "What you are now is the result of what you were. What you will be tomorrow will be the result of what you are now. The consequences of an evil mind will follow you like the cart follows the ox that pulls it. The consequences of a purified mind will follow you like your own shadow. No one can do more for you than your own purified mind-- no parent, no relative, no friend, no one. A well-disciplined mind brings happiness".

Meditation is intended to purify the mind. It cleanses the thought process of what can be called psychic irritants, things like greed, hatred and jealousy, things that keep you snarled up in emotional bondage. It brings the mind to a state of tranquility and awareness, a state of concentration and insight.

In our society, we are great believers in education. We believe that knowledge makes a cultured person civilized. Civilization, however, polishes the person superficially. Subject our noble and sophisticated gentleman to stresses of war or economic collapse, and see what happens. It is one thing to obey the law because you know the penalties and fear the consequences. It is something else entirely to obey the law because you have cleansed yourself from the greed that would make you steal and the hatred that would make you kill. Throw a stone into a stream. The running water would smooth the surface, but the inner part remains unchanged. Take that same stone and place it in the intense fires of a forge, and the whole stone changes inside and outside. It all melts. Civilization changes man on the outside. Meditation softens him within, through and through.

Meditation is called the Great Teacher. It is the cleansing crucible fire that works slowly through understanding. The greater your understanding, the more flexible and tolerant you can be. The greater your understanding, the more compassionate you can be. You become like a perfect parent or an ideal teacher. You are ready to forgive and forget. You feel love towards others because you understand them. And you understand others because you have understood yourself. You have looked deeply inside and seen self illusion and your own human failings. You have seen your own humanity and learned to forgive and to love. When you have learned compassion for yourself, compassion for others is automatic. An accomplished meditator has achieved a profound understanding of life, and he inevitably relates to the world with a deep and uncritical love.

Meditation is a lot like cultivating a new land. To make a field out of a forest, first you have to clear the trees and pull out the stumps. Then you till the soil and you fertilize it. Then you sow your seed and you harvest your crops. To cultivate your mind, first you have to clear out the various irritants that are in the way, pull them right out by the root so that they won't grow back. Then you fertilize. You pump energy and discipline in the mental soil. Then you sow the seed and you harvest your crops of faith, morality , mindfulness and wisdom.

Faith and morality, by the way, have a special meaning in this context. Buddhism does not advocate faith in the sense of believing something because it is written in a book or attributed to a prophet or taught to you by some authority figure. The meaning here is closer to confidence. It is knowing that something is true because you have seen it work, because you have observed that very thing within yourself. In the same way, morality is not a ritualistic obedience to some exterior, imposed code of behavior. The purpose of meditation is personal transformation. The you that goes in one side of the meditation experience is not the same you that comes out the other side. It changes your character by a process of sensitization, by making you deeply aware of your own thoughts, word, and deeds. Your arrogance evaporated and your antagonism dries up. Your mind becomes still and calm. And your life smoothes out. Thus meditation properly performed prepares you to meet the ups and down of existence. It reduces your tension, your fear, and your worry. Restlessness recedes and passion moderates. Things begin to fall into place and your life becomes a glide instead of a struggle. All of this happens through understanding.

Meditation sharpens your concentration and your thinking power. Then, piece by piece, your own subconscious motives and mechanics become clear to you. Your intuition sharpens. The precision of your thought increases and gradually you come to a direct knowledge of things as they really are, without prejudice and without illusion. So is this reason enough to bother? Scarcely. These are just promises on paper. There is only one way you will ever know if meditation is worth the effort. Learn to do it right, and do it. See for yourself.
Penguin

Postby tazmic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 am

Not wanting to through the baby out with the bath water, but it's worth being careful....

"In the same way, the island of Ibiza where I spent 18 months working through Reciprocality is stuffed full of ex-patriates - particularly English and Germans - who I'd identify as natural immunes that are trapped in the Ghost Not. They don't suffer from the neurochemical component of M0, so the incessant whining and mutual micropolicing that jams coherent thought is missing, but they suffer from the logical component and so have their entire logical field inverted."

"These dippy New Age tossers (spot the value judgement) have retreated from the highly ritual addicted societies they were born into because they aren't members of the dopamine economy and so do not see ritual fixing as an inherent good, and yes they can exploit feedback in cognition so they have some intuitive awareness, but when it comes down to it they say that they are "spirtual" while in fact they are anti-rational!"
tazmic

Postby Penguin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:06 pm

tazmic wrote:Not wanting to through the baby out with the bath water, but it's worth being careful....

"In the same way, the island of Ibiza where I spent 18 months working through Reciprocality is stuffed full of ex-patriates - particularly English and Germans - who I'd identify as natural immunes that are trapped in the Ghost Not. They don't suffer from the neurochemical component of M0, so the incessant whining and mutual micropolicing that jams coherent thought is missing, but they suffer from the logical component and so have their entire logical field inverted."

"These dippy New Age tossers (spot the value judgement) have retreated from the highly ritual addicted societies they were born into because they aren't members of the dopamine economy and so do not see ritual fixing as an inherent good, and yes they can exploit feedback in cognition so they have some intuitive awareness, but when it comes down to it they say that they are "spirtual" while in fact they are anti-rational!"

Always.

I dont dislike many things as much as anti-"spiritual" "rationalists" who actually just think too small to really appreciate the panorama. On the other hand, same may go for dippy new age funk as well ;)

Originally posted this because at the time I had been looking into what ADHD really is, and alternate treatments for it, and found the programmer POV interesting. And the hacker mentality - some of the most interesting people Ive had the luck of meeting have been eccentric radio amateurs or hackers... And incidentally, many of the programmers I know have diagnosed ADHD or ADD. Piqued my interest.
Penguin

Re: Fascinating.

Postby Penguin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:"I tested the blindspot idea by applying it to some profound mysteries in current physics, and answers came rolling out!
Then things got very Indiana Jones."

haw! Talk about blind spots...

Well put.
Penguin

Postby Penguin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:49 am

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewt ... 841#267841
Penguin wrote:
By the way and way, how about the story of Cain and Abel? One giving fruits of the floral kingdom, other making an animal sacrifice..Then a human one?

God wanted blood...

http://leftinthedark.org.uk/

Modern science (or more accurately the brains and minds of modern scientists) continues to interpret a wealth of data from a number of disciplines on the basis of the untested presumption that our neural system is fully functional and at the pinnacle of its evolution.

Such a presumption or untested belief is according to scientific protocol ‘bad science’. Even if there were no hint of dysfunction in the human condition it would be prudent to eliminate the remotest possibility of a flaw in our perception in what is effectively our only tool of investigation.

Furthermore, if our brain and its associated perception, psychology and the behaviour and culture it manifests really are a reflection of its advanced ability then surely it would be hard to convince anyone at all that it may be seriously impaired.

That an increasing number of leading scholars and academics who have studied human behaviour and evolution are supporting such a scenario is in its self a major paradox.

An investigation into the evolution of the human brain.
A journey to the edge of the human mind.

The human brain, over a period of perhaps a million years, expanded at an increasingly rapid rate then, some 200,000 years ago, this expansion suddenly stopped. There is, to date, no plausible scientific explanation for either of these linked events.

Religious and mythic traditions of paradise inform us that we once lived in a benign state of perpetual wonder and joy but from this we regressed. The reasons for this are obscure. Do these apparently unrelated perspectives have something in common?

The new theory presented here and in the Left In The Dark book suggests the extraordinary evolution of our brain was influenced by changes in the activity of our own hormones. Such a seemingly innocuous idea has dramatic ramifications. It not only explains a number of recently uncovered anomalies within the human mind, but also makes sense of the stories of human degeneration that are preserved in virtually all cultural myths and religions from around the world Both perspectives tell the same unexpected and shocking story – Humanity is suffering from a progressive neurological condition that has distorted our perception and altered our sense of self. This seemingly dire situation however has a positive side – we still have unimaginable potential just waiting to be unlocked. There is a very real possibility of regaining our lost perceptual heritage.

Book Description

Left in the Dark expounds the most radical reinterpretation of existing evidence from the disciplines of evolution, ecology, neurology, psychology, anthropology and other academic fields, whilst also placing the ancient ‘Ages of Mankind’ mythology and related traditions within a scientific context. These universal traditions were once the only version of history we had, they describe the onset and progression of a neurodegenerative condition that really has left us in the dark. Often considered no more than the imaginings of a primitive mind and easy to dismiss as mere myths, they are in fact a more accurate natural history of humankind than modern science has thus far recognised. The book outlines the origin and nature of a condition that eventually left us virtually blind to its existence. Evidence is cited that supports such a scenario. A means of definitively testing its validity is proposed and most importantly what can be done to treat the condition and prevent its occurrence. While this may seem a challenging prospect it promises amongst other things the restoration of phenomenal abilities, exceptional immune function and most importantly a greatly enhanced state of mind and well being only rarely glimpsed by a tiny minority.

The revised 2nd edition of 'Left in the Dark' with a foreword by Dr Dennis McKenna is now available.

A neurodegenerative theory, such as the one outlined in Left in the Dark, which proposes that the development of our brain has become seriously retarded would accurately predict a number of major psychological symptoms.

For example making sense of who or what we are or recognising the insanity of our day to day behaviour would be virtually impossible.

Furthermore such a theory would predict that even if there were overwhelming evidence to support such a scenario we would be slow to understand the context, specific nature and severity of our predicament, even if it were pointed out in laypersons language…

Review by Dennis McKenna

One the great puzzles of primate evolution has been the explosive evolution of the anomalous human brain. Another aspect of evolution usually ignored or overlooked by evolutionary biologists has been the certain impact of bioactive plant secondary metabolites, abundant in the omnivorous diet of foraging primates, on the evolution of human cognition, as well as physiological and neurological adaptations. The authors of Left in the Dark have proposed a stunningly innovative and challenging theory that neatly ties together these issues and provides plausible, rational, and scientifically insightful explanations for many of the most persistent mysteries surrounding the evolution of the human brain, cognitive and cultural evolution, and human brain anomalies. The authors also show how human interactions and adaptations to plant secondary compounds continue to profoundly influence individual human development, human behavior, and contemporary societal evolution. The authors have made an ambitious and well-crafted argument, and have done so in an engaging manner that will be comprehensible to any intelligent layman, and will also be of interest to anthropologists, evolutionary biologists, cognitive psychologists, neurophysiologists, ethnobotanists, and virtually anyone else who has ever wondered how humans evolved to be the way we are.

Im gonna track that down for reading...
Seems interesting.

Also to be considered in relation to http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=20432 - Alien Invasion: Diagnosis Serious

agitprop wrote:
Aeolus Kephas wrote:Hi all

Been busy podcast building the last few weeks, and felt in need of a little feedback back, so RI seemed the place to come.

On a recent podcast, discussing aliens with Lucinda Horan, the notion arose of a possible correspondence between "alien" or "daimonic" entities and viral organisms - i.e., as above so below, two parallel manifestations of a single intelligence, one observed by science, the other only by paranoid awareness and occultism? This seems to relate to the ideas of William Burroughs, David Cronenberg, etc, but so far as I know it has not yet really intersected with Ufology or parapolitics (e.g., microchip and nanotechnology).

So I am curious if anyone out there has received similar impressions or hatched any similar ideas - or am i simply off my rocker?

Have to say that lot of this stuff comes out my mouth before i am even sure what i am talking about

Podcast is http://kephas.podomatic.com/

I was just reading over this thread and remembered a book I'd heard about called Parasite Rex, by Carl Zimmer. Parasitism has not been given the attention it deserves by the scientific community, until recently. There has been a clear preference for exploring the prey, predator, categories. The bias seems to have limited our understanding of the social, political realm as well.

The essence of viruses is that they lack reproductive capacity and use host cells to replicate for them. In this respect, though not a virus, this animal shares similar qualities. (From Zimmer's book)

Critique of Parasite Rex:

"In a sense it was comforting to read that we are not the most savage, efficient predators on Earth. Witness the parasite Sacculina that turns crabs into zombies--the slug-like female enters the crab through a convenient leg joint and gradually fills its whole body cavity, even wrapping roots around its host's eyestalks. The crab continues its shadow-crab life, sidling through the surf, eating mussels and clams. However, it stops moulting and growing as these activities would funnel energy away from Sacculina. If the parasite becomes pregnant, it doesn't matter whether the crab started out as male or female--it will brood and hatch the next generation of Sacculina as if the tiny larvae were its own children.

Sacculina's life-style is rather hard on the crab, but it is only one of the amazingly efficient (and bizarre) parasites described in this book. Other parasites have adopted Sacculina's method of eliminating their host's unnecessary functions such as reproduction (unnecessary to the parasite, that is) while leaving the host enough brain, nervous system, and digestive tract to go on feeding.

I imagine if there were a Sacculina-type parasite for humans, we would soon lose our urge to play football or go swimming. We would lie in front of the TV all day long, stuffing ourselves with---wait a minute, here! Is it possible...?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though the last paragraph of this critique is meant in fun...it's worth considering. As we sit at computers creating a noosphere that links us all are we inadvertantly creating the mental appendage through which a silicone based entity will embed and evolve? Is this what we have been all along, the necessary organic colonizers that preceed a silicone take over?
http://www.amazon.ca/Parasite-Rex-Bizar ... 074320011X
Penguin

Re: Reciprocality.org - Distorted reality view of humans

Postby tazmic » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:38 am

There Are No Sith Lords (but maybe some Jedis...)

Hi All,

Some thoughts on the evidence recently posted that appalling
conspiracies are currently in play, including powerful circumstantial
evidence that (elements of) the current US administration at least
colluded in the 9/11 atrocity, and are currently planning Mad Max
megadeath horror.

I don't deny that these things are happening. They've always been
happening. Thomas Jefferson said, "When men of the same profession
gather together, they do so to conspire against the general public."
After all, we have the open statement from before the 2000 election by
the so-called American Century group of which Dubya & Co are members,
that a "major incident" would be very beneficial for their agenda. What
I do argue is that these things do not require us to suppose that
persons of special knowledge or abilities are involved. It's just what
normal sub-human consciousness does, given the opportunity. That's
frightening enough on it's own (Gurdjieff wrote of "The Terror of the
Situation") - but it's a monster we have already met. The goings on in
any firm or local council writ large. There are no worse monsters. I've
certainly seen nothing in the behaviour of Dubya, Blair, etc.
indicating that any more than normal scheming, reality denying
self-aggrandizers are involved, or that their objectives are any more
than power crazed, personal material enrichment for their cronies, or
the willingness to kill vast numbers in the pursuit of wasting even more
resources for a brief while longer. I'm even willing to acknowledge that
Dubya is a screwed up mapper (a macker). After all, he is an alcoholic.
So despite his manifest cowardice ("I do not have anthrax. I do not have
anthrax. I do not have anthrax."), low thinking centre intelligence and
ignorance, he might be a quite inventive little toad, and hence all the
more dangerous. I've never suggested that an active inductive mind
*automatically* ensures goodness or wisdom if the person is emotionally
damaged, as often occurs in current social conditions.

Instead I'd like to look at two other situations which at first look
like sith might be involved, and demonstrate that we do not need to
assume the existence of sith. The first situation has more than one
thread to it, so please bear with me. I shall not pretend objectivity,
since the whole business still annoys me.

In the late 1970s an artist called John Berger became concerned with
what he saw as a growing retreat into delusional meeting room reality,
and a consequent loss of all values. He believed that a return to basic
physical reality was needed to reacquire our grounding. He moved to a
village in rural France, and set forth his views in a novel called "Pig
Earth". Berger is an able artist. First a photographer, his TV series
"Ways of Seeing" was a landmark in making the arts accessible to a wider
audience, and 30 years on his book which accompanied the series is still
in print. On page one of the novel he wanted to engage the reader's
attention before presenting his thesis, and did this by presenting a
graphical visual image of a pair of elderly peasants making a complete
mess of attempting to slaughter a cow. Berger can produce a strong
visual image even when his medium is prose, and his description of the
layers of bone, muscle and blood vessels revealed in the cow's shoulder
as the peasants attempt to kill it is certainly strong. But it's just an
attention getter. The point - which is all about the base reality
revealed in the first page - comes in the rest of the book. "Pig Earth"
was first published in New York in 1980, but didn't do well. It was
republished in London in 1984 and did much better because it was
marketed very aggressively by a close friend, which is why I know all
the details of this aspect of the tale. My friend made sure "Pig Earth"
was in some chains and every independent and arts bookshop in the land.

At the same time a Turkish embezzler called Asil Nadir was exploiting
the growing retreat into self-delusion, enriching himself with a junk
bond scam called Polly Peck. Nadir currently resides in the largely
unrecognised state of Turkish Cyprus, where he is free from extradition
and arrest. As an embezzler, Nadir would benefit from a more relaxed
financial regulatory environment, and culturally impoverishing the
population, since both would make them easier to swindle. Accordingly,
he supplied a great deal of money to the then opposition Conservative
Party (elected to power in 1979), via it's bagman Jeffrey Archer, later
Lord Archer, who later went to prison for perjury. The Conservatives
received so much money from Nadir that their finances have never
recovered from it's loss, after it was revealed that they were
bankrolled by a foriegn criminal. Much of the money then went to the
advertising firm of Saatchi and Saatchi, which ran their propaganda
campaign. One Charles Saatchi , now Lord Saatchi, who has never been to
prison, is the candidate for a neuroarchaic sith lord in this story.

Now in every land, in every era, there is always found hanging around
real artists a group of elderly degenerates who call themselves "the art
world". Although they are utterly talentless, they find they can conceal
their natures more easily in the vicinity of people who behave in more
varied ways than is usual in society. Colleges of art therefore end up
serving two functions. Talented students attend to learn the technical
skills they need to express their inspirations, talentless students
attend because they wish to meet the "art world". They are the sort of
people who are willing to do absolutely anything, for small material
rewards, so long as it does not take effort on their part. As these
students age, they turn into the next generation of elderly degenerates,
and so the cycle of corruption continues. To maintain the fiction that
they are artists, each of them must as Gurdjieff put it, "manifest
themselves absurdly" at least once. One of the least talented - but
loudly self-advertising - students at the Royal College of Art in 1985
was one Damien Hirst. When it was time for him to manifest himself
absurdly, he was completely stuck for ideas. Fortunately, there were
plenty of copies of "Pig Earth" around, and he set out to re-create
Berger's page one prose image, without the content of the book, in a
literal, physical fashion. At least he had the grace to change the
animal. The result was a shark, cut in half with a chainsaw and pickled.
(When Marcel Duchamps did this kind of thing it was novel and
challenging. Now it is purely formulaic.) Needless to say, this blatant
act of empty plagerism caused considerable mirth amongst everyone who
was even slightly aware of real contemporary arts at the time.

And there it would have ended, were it not for Saatchi, who very
publicly handed Hirst a huge amount of Nadir's dirty money, and loudly
announced, "He is a genius!" Of course, the ignorant, the gullible, the
greedy and the easily led became hypnotised by the sight of the money,
wished to follow fashion, and repeated the cry, "He is a genius!" In
this way the talentless er... friend... of the "art world" Damien Hirst
became the centrepiece of a group of similar creatures, entirely created
by Saatchi, called BritArt. It was an evil scheme. A subtle tactic which
removed all the value of real arts by replacing it with rubbish, and so
impoverishing the population - although to be fair, the British working
class never fell for it. Just the people with more money than sense,
whom Saatchi wished to impoverish on behalf of his master, Nadir.
Indeed, it was sufficiently subtle that people who didn't appreciate the
importance of the cultural context doubted that Saatchi had done
anything malign at all when it was pointed out to them. It is this that
makes Saatchi a candidate for the honourific "Darth".

Except he is not so entitled! He's even less original than Hirst, and no
special knowledge was required. The entire strategy, and the thinking
behind it, was laid out in detail by Ayn Rand, in the 1943 novel, "The
Fountainhead", which loudly proclaims on the cover of the 1983 printing
I have before me, that 5,000,000 copies have been sold. I quote:

"Kill man's sense of values. Kill his capacity to recognize greatness or
to achieve it. Great men can't be ruled. We don't want any great men.
Don't deny the conception of greatness. Destroy it from within. The
great is the rare, the difficult, the exceptional. Set up standards of
achievement open to all, to the least, to the most inept - and you stop
the impetus to effort in all men, great or small. You stop all incentive
to improvement, to excellence, to perfection. Laugh at Roark and hold
Peter Keating as a great architect. You've destroyed architecture. Build
up Lois Cook and you've destroyed literature. Hail Ike and you've
destroyed the theatre. Glorify Lancelot Clokey and you've destroyed the
press. Don't set out to raze all shrines - you'll frighten men. Enshrine
mediocrity - and the shrines are razed. Then there's another way. Kill
by laughter. Laughter is an instrument of human joy. Learn to use it as
a weapon of destruction. Turn it into a sneer. It's simple. Tell them to
laugh at everything. Tell them that a sense of humour is an unlimited
virtue. Don't let anything remain sacred in a man's soul - and his soul
won't be sacred to him. Kill reverence and you've killed the hero in
man. One doesn't reverence with a giggle. He'll obey and he'll set no
limits to his obedience - anything goes - nothing is too serious....
Nature allows no vacuum. Empty man's soul and the space is yours to fill."

BritArt is to the Council of American Artists in Rand's novel, as
Hirst's pickled animal parts are to the cow in Berger's novel. And in
case there's any doubt, the final artistic wonder in Hirst's repititions
of his plagerism, each heralded as a greater work of genius than the
last, was indeed a cow cut in half. Here's Rand's 1943 description of
Saatchi's wretched, sneering, 1980s assembly:

"The Council of American Artists had as chairman a cadaverous youth who
painted what he saw in his nightly dreams. There was a boy who used no
canvas, but did something with bird-cages and metronomes, and another
who discovered a new technique of painting: he blackened a sheet of
paper and then painted with a rubber eraser. There was a stout
middle-aged lady who drew sub-consciously, claiming that she never
looked at her hand and had no idea of what the hand was doing; her hand,
she said, was guided by the spirit of the departed lover whom she had
never met on earth. Here they did not talk so much about the
proletariat, but merely rebelled against the tyranny of reality and of
the objective."

So while Charles Saatchi did something malevolent and destructive, we
might almost say clever, a Sith Lord he is not. He simply implemented an
exploit documented in Rand's 1943 advisory. The only thing that was not
in Rand's book was the smell. Rand never mentioned personal hygene
problems amongst the members of the Council of American Artists. Thus
was Berger's artistic cry for values stolen and perverted by Saatchi
into destruction of values. Afterword: Nadir himself had part of his
ill-gotten gains squirreled away in a huge collection of exquisite
watercolours. I know this because the curator he engaged was an artist
and restorer of considerable talent and technical ability. He was
fascinated by the concept of computer networking, and filled his house
with CP/M machines connected by twisted pairs. As a young hacker I
helped set up some of his curious network.

The second situation I'd like to mention, corny though it may be, is
that of Adolf Hitler. There's no doubt he was a macker, and a master
manipulator of a group of humans close to a marching point. Few today
appreciate the significance of his funny little mustache, for example.
What's interesting about him is the rallies. He stands there, making his
curious, foppish little hand gestures, and shrieking things like, "You
must give in to the compulsion to obey!" Now every generation thinks
itself so much more worldly that it's predecessors, but if that we're
true, we'd all be very wise now - and we're not. So why didn't the
grandparents of today's Germans burst out laughing? I think we may be
looking at an example of the use of microsynch, the study and perfomance
of body language regimented by mass boredom addiction. The effect which
(in reverse) can make people like bank clerks go mad wirth demented rage
if an immune so much as walks up to them. The effect demonstrated by
Gurdjieff, documented by Ouspensky and quoted in V2.0 chapter 2. I have
twice heard a person describe another as "godlike". One was a minor
civil servant who had reported to me that another civil servant had once
more buggered up the paperwork, and prevented us receiving the supplies
we needed. "Christ!", I exclaimed. "Who does that guy think he's working
for? Slobodan?" The reporter's response was extraordinary. His demented
rant of defence of his imcompetent and feckless colleauge included the
word "godlike". Both, as I would currently express it, were very boredom
addicted, with the screecher less boredom addicted because of his
occasional contact with teams I was keeping productive. The other case
was an eldery man (a doctor, not a rabid fascist, not a member of the
SS, just a regular German who after WWII moved to the UK), who described
meeting Hitler. Over 40 years later his knuckles were white as he
grasped the arms of his chair, and he used the same word, "godlike".
Something very odd was going on here. Also add the determination to wipe
out all members of groups who I conjecture have an unusually large
minority immune to boredom addiction.

The thing about Hitler, if he did learn this stuff from members of an
authentic school, is that he only got *partial* truths. Not all immunes
are Jews and Poles, and not all Jews and Poles are natural immunes.
Exterminating all Jews and Poles does not leave a population entirely
vulnerable to mass hypnotism in this way. Indeed, the only effect of his
evil work in these terms, was to *enrich* the proportion of immunes in
those populations. According to all understanding of military history,
what happened in Israel in 1973, where Moshe Dyan had to completely
reconstruct his entire national defence plan with the enemy in country
and moving fast, and all his armour gone, simply can't happen. The
mostly mapper Linux community could do it though, with the power of
distributed, creative problem solving loosely structured by the overall
guidance of one person. If someone told me that Hitler was wound up and
set on his way by an authentic school, for the purpose of accellerating
change (which he certainly did), then I would have no trouble believing
it. But his effectiveness was constrained by partial truths. I find the
idea uncomfortable that authentic schools would be willing to resort to
such methods, but an implication of V2.0 chapter 6 is that people with
advanced consciousness *are* willing to break eggs to make omlettes. A
2000+ year strategy to break boredom addiction, with little things like
the Spanish Inquisition along the way.

But Hitler would not count as a sith, just a wind-up toy. Neither would
the informants who limited his effectiveness so that he achieved the
reverse of what he wanted. If the informants are serving a long term
self-org objective of bringing the local planetary mind to awareness,
then their objectives, however dubious their methods might seem to us,
would be good. They are not nihilists.

And this brings me to my final point. There's really only one thing
going on - the reconstruction of the universe and growth of
consciousness. I suppose a person might attend an authentic school, such
as the Sarmoung described by Gurdjieff or the mysterious teachers of
Steiner, which we have intimations of existing, and somehow fail in
their development. Then we might have a person with an exterior
perspective, who could see M0 for what it was, and manipulate it. He or
she might have astonishing powers of precognition, the ability to
translocate, and the ability to "kill a yak by the power of thought at a
distance of several miles" (Gurdjieff). Yet for all this, the person of
distorted development might be interested in serving only their own
material greed, like a crack SAS soldier equipped with night vision
goggles, flashbangs and so on, who breaks into the nursery and steals
all the toys. But why would the authentic schools, who are populated by
people of full development, permit such an individual to do harm? They'd
take him or her out of commission rather than let them damage the
programme. Indeed, I see no evidence that any such persons are active in
the world. As William of Occam said, let us not multiply hypotheses
without necessity.

None of this removes the terrible danger posed by the zombie packers and
screwed up mappers. It seems like a miracle will be needed to solve the
problem, either in some "fail safe" predicted by the authentic schools
that I believe engineered the present situation in order to take M0 out
of it's stable envelope and break it, or something... else. Since my
integrated deductive and inductive mind is convinced of the self-org
imperative of our making it, with our deductive mind culture intact
including the Internet, I am therefore anticipating a miracle.

Film at 11... :-)

Alan

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/progstone/message/8453
"It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out." - Heraclitus

"There aren't enough small numbers to meet the many demands made of them." - Strong Law of Small Numbers
tazmic

Next

Return to Data & Research Compilations