Bruce Robinson and the making of Withnail and I

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bruce Robinson and the making of Withnail and I

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 am

A brilliant interview, twenty years on. He's very honest, very witty and very likable.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bruce Robinson and the making of Withnail and I

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Interviews with umpteen people, including the actors Paul McGann, Richard E. Grant, and Ralph Brown (Danny), who has now lost all his cosmic-ray antennae. Sadly, the great Richard Griffiths (Uncle Monty) is missing, for some reason. Robinson himself and his former flatmates tell tales of Vivian McKerrill, the real-life inspiration for Withnail.

Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:54 pm

9 Jul 01

Withnail and I
By Bruce Robinson

This is almost certainly the last time I’ll ever write anything about Withnail and I. Just in case it doesn’t come out too good I’ll get to the point immediately. I want to dedicate this new edition to my friend Vivian.

From 1966 to about 1976, I kept a diary, and page after page of this is about Vivian and I. I met him in 1964 in our first year in drama school. He wore a blue suit and shades and looked like Marlon Brando. Everyone thought he was going to be a star. Within ten minutes I was his closest friend, and so was everyone else. Everyone loved Viv. He wasn’t a bad actor (though when we left Central School he hardly ever got a job). Wasn’t a bad writer either (although I don’t ever remember him writing anything). The reality is that, if he had acted, or had written, he wouldn’t have excelled at either because the interest wasn’t there. What Vivian was brilliant at was being Vivian. That was his genius, and everyone who ever met him was overwhelmed by it. His nicknames were “the spine” and “crime.” I don’t know where the first came from, but the latter predicated on his ability to spend all day in the pub, and always with discretion navigate his turn to buy a drink. “Crime doesn’t pay.” But none of us cared because his company was worth the price. Viv was into literature, Keats and Baudelaire, and turned me on to both these poets. Plus the funniest book I’ve ever read, the great À Rebours, is one of two novels Marwood shoves into his suitcase at the end of the film.

There isn’t a line of Viv’s in Withnail and I, but his horrible wine-stained tongue may as well have spoken every word. Without Viv, this story could never have been written. And all I’ve got to do is look back through this old diary with its daisies stuck under yellowing Sellotape, to realize why. Vivian and I lived Withnail and I for a long time before that weird thing happened in my head, and I had to sit at the kitchen table and try and write it down.

April 16, 1975. Hadn’t seen V. for two years. He’s lost his looks but not his habit. Scotch before breakfast. He doesn’t eat breakfast. Vivian is drinking himself to death. He said, “If there’s a God, why are arses at the perfect height for kicking?” and I said, “I’ve got to agree with you.”Going backwards now and plunging deep into the hangovers. I can’t believe the amount of hangovers.

November 16, 1969. In bed for two days. I can hear Viv groaning in the other room.

I can’t believe this one. It’s almost biblical.

I simply can’t believe the amount of drinking. Practically every entry starts with a description of a hangover, and they are all different, like Eskimos have twenty different ways of describing snow. This one was gin and retsina and lasted four and a half days. It gets about a page and a half, adjectives all over it, as I looked for different ways to describe pain. Vivian was of the opinion that the only way to deal with a hangover was to drink your way around it. Jesus, I remember you drinking them out. I remember you drinking the lighter fuel in the middle of a blistering argument. But I’d forgotten that I was a member of the Conservative Party.

January 16, 1970. V. came back and said we should join the Conservative Party. “What for?” I said. “Because they give you sherry.” (Apparently he’d met some accountant called Bill Twococks who told him this was the case.) That night we got on our suits and walked over to Primrose Hill. The Conservative Party was in a basement and consisted of about six women and a photo of Macmillan on the wall. A tall twot with a ludicrous accent and a second-hand Saab wanted us to “canvass.” We said we would, but didn’t get any sherry, so we threw their fucking leaflets over a hedge.

April 30, 1969. Vivian and I get on our suits and go down for wine-tasting at Sotheby’s. This time we didn’t get in. Some bloke with ears and a green hat prevented our entry. “We’ve come to taste the wine,” we said. “You two cunts can hop it,” he said. He obviously remembered us from previous tastings and this expulsion left us depressed. Sotheby’s was one of the best shows in town to drink brilliant wine and arsehole yourself absolutely free.

That night we go into Regent’s Park and look at the wolves. I can’t count the number of times we went into the park and looked at the wolves. And I can’t believe Vivian is dead. He got cancer of the throat and they tore his voice out. And the fellow I’d always thought of as being the biggest coward I’d ever met materialized into the bravest bastard I’d ever known. It’s got to be hard to laugh when you’re dying, but I’ll always remember you laughing. That sad, brilliant, bitter face of yours laughing. Good-bye my darling friend. This is for you forever. And I know if there’s a pub in heaven, you’ll be in it. And Keats will be buying the drinks.

—From the introduction to “Withnail and I”: The Screenplay 10th Anniversary Edition. Copyright ©1985 Bruce Robinson. Published in the U.S. by The Overlook Press. Used by permission of the author and of the publisher.

Withnail and I

Bruce Robinson

1986 108 min. Color 1.85:1

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/122

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Withnail & I: Britain's best film?

It might not have seemed likely on its first release 20 years ago, but 'Withnail & I' has stood the test of time and emerged as a classic piece of British cinema. Kevin Jackson examines the making of a masterpiece.

Independent, Sunday, 8 October 2006

Twenty years? For those of mature years who love Withnail & I, the real surprise of that anniversary figure is that it has only been two decades since Bruce Robinson's raffish masterpiece was first released on our screens. Was it really as recently as the early 1980s that we lived in innocence of Withnail's eloquent spleen and hauteur, Marwood's (that is, "I"s) timidity and homophobic panic, Uncle Monty's suave and fruity libidinousness? That we had no idea what a Camberwell Carrot might be? That someone could say "we want the finest wines available to humanity" or "get in the back of the van" without provoking a knowing, complicitous laugh from the initiated? Surely we have known all these things as long as we've known, say, Falstaff or Oliver Twist or Daffy Duck?

Adore it or deride it - and there are, to be sure, still plenty of people who simply don't see the point, and think that the movie is no more than a tiresome confection of drug jokes and poor slapstick - Withnail & I obviously casts a very unusual spell over its devotees. It is perhaps the truest of all so-called cult movies, not only because it seizes the imaginations of the faithful with unparalleled force, but because its status is almost wholly the product of enduring audience loyalty, not of clever marketing strategies. On its first release, when it was reviewed with intelligent sympathy (The Independent and The Financial Times were the only dissenters), no one could reasonably have predicted that it would mature quite so triumphantly. In the 21st century, though, Withnail has already begun to migrate from the lists of "Top Cult Films" to those of "Best British Films". Tomorrow, the world?

It is a curious fate for a movie which, to the disenchanted eye, looks about as action-packed and fun as a wet Saturday afternoon at Samuel Beckett's gaff. The nararative runs something like this. Act One: our two heroes, unemployed and possibly unemployable actors, while away their empty days and nights in a once-grand Camden flat with such intoxicants as they can afford. Menaced by drunken thugs and a drugged-up dealer called Danny, they decide to borrow a country cottage from Withnail's rich, eccentric, gay uncle Monty.

Act Two: they head for the Lake Distict, replacing urban squalor with rural squalor, and are now menaced by a bull and a belligerent, possibly murderous poacher. Monty arrives unexpectedly, tries and fails to seduce Marwood.

Act Three: they come back to London. Withnail is arrested for drunk driving. Marwood lands a good job. They part, their friendship obviously over. The End.

Try pitching that one to Dreamworks and see how far you get. (In fact, as Bruce Robinson pointed out, the structure is that of the classic three-acter as outlined by Ring Lardner. Act One: Send a man up a tree. Act Two: Throw rocks at him. Act Three: Bring him down.) It is evidently not pulse-pounding excitment which has earned Withnail its place in the cinematic pantheon, so what are the sources of its appeal?

Let's start with the booze. It was James Brown, the editor of Loaded magazine, who first put on public record the fact that Withnail had encouraged all manner of riotous behaviour among "lads", and above all the famous drinking game in which participants have to line up a prodigious row of tipples, run the video or DVD and match Withnail's on-screen guzzling drink for drink - including, for the real hard core, his swig of lighter fluid. (Has anyone ever lashed out on a bottle of Margaux '53 to join Withnail in his valedictory swigs? Letters, please.) The sheer, liver-blitzing quantities of Withnail's alcohol consumption - "I demand to have some booze!" - and the film's uncensorious attitude to piss-artistry automatically win the film affection among the drinking classes. Especially younger members of the drinking classes.

Which leads to a slightly more sober point. Withnail & I is the ne plus ultra of student films, both in that students adore it (you can bet your last farthing that this very weekend, British undergraduates who were either unborn or gurgling at their mother's teat when it opened in the West End will be roaring along to it for the first time) and that it is by far the best representation of student life in British cinema; maybe in world cinema.

True, neither of our heroes is a student any more - indeed, they are both rapidly approaching 30. But the authetic texture of student life at its most horrible - the manky digs, the uncertain friendships, the wilful neglect of hygiene and health, the binges, the cold and damp, the free-floating anxiety and directionlessness - none of these has ever been caught with such dismaying yet hilarious precision. The cinema bulges with movies about college japes - especially American college japes - but it took a low-budget English film about washed-up actors to capture for good and all the dark side of that protracted adolescence which is the ambiguous privilege of young people in rich countries.

To dwell unduly on the aspects of the film which most appeal to the lager and varsity gangs, though, is to slight its many other virtues. When I wrote an essay on Withnail for the BFI Modern Classics series a few years ago, I took the opportunity to experiment, and show the film to as many different types of audience as possible. Again, not everyone was seduced - particularly American viewers, who often found the accents impenetrable. (One charming couple from Massachussetts, in their early 50s, strained their ears throughout: they pronounced it a very moving tragedy, and had barely noticed any comic effects.)

Most succumbed willingly: the teenage kid with Asperger's Syndrome, who played air guitar to the Jimi Hendrix songs on the soundtrack, and summed up the film as "good"; the retired Oxford Kantian who carefully explained to me that Margaux '53, though indeed very fine, was not, as Withnail contends, the finest of the century; the dying homme de lettres who considered it all perfectly delightful, and asked wistfully if there were any other films in the same vein?

Alas, no. But my little sampling, unscientific as it was, did confirm what I had long suspected: that the raucous, booze-along Saturday night favourite of the Loaded crowd was also quite suitable for reflective Sunday viewing, too. The New England couple who read the film as profoundly sad were not altogether wide of the mark: strip it of its wonderful linguistic richness and you have a film about, inter alia, the threat and reality of failure; lovelessness (there are no romantic possiblities for our boys, and poor Uncle Monty's lust remains unslaked); not-so-genteel poverty; the loss of idealism and youthful hope; the decay of friendship. In an early draft of the screenplay, Robinson had Withnail commit suicide with a shotgun, then rightly had second thoughts: when Withnail bows to the wolves and walks away, we know all too well that he is walking away from life.

Nor is the melancholy reserved for the film's final scenes: it suffuses the whole thing. Robinson said that he knew he had the emotional key to his story when he heard King Curtis playing his lyrical, jazzy interpretation of "A Whiter Shade of Pale". This is the music we hear at the start of the film, as we watch "I" suffering an amphetamine-induced anxiety attack. It was recorded live at the Fillmore West concert hall, and later that evening the musician was stabbed to death in the car park. Curtis didn't know it, but he had been performing an elegy for himself. The elegaic tone persists through all the rough comedy, since this is a film about all manner of endings: the end of the 1960s (as Danny the Dealer laments), the end of youth and promise, and, implicitly, the end of a life. Withnail snorts derisively about Russian dramas after being offered an understudy role in The Seagull - "Always full of women staring out of windows, whining about ducks going to Moscow"; he cannot know, as we do, that he is a Chekhovian anti-hero.

If the comparison of Withnail with Chekhov seems excessive... Well, let it. (It has sometimes been suggested that Chekhov can be a lot funnier in Russian than in English. Much of Withnail's comedy - though it has relatively few traditional jokes - derives from the artful precision of the writing. As Robinson has pointed out, a line such as "We've come on holiday by mistake" has a faint oddity to it which is only apparent to native speakers. One of the earliest test-screenings for the film was for an audience of German students with only a fair grasp of English. It was a disaster.) Whatever else may be said about it, Withnail & I is, line by line, a superbly well-written drama, with each character speaking his own instantly recognisable, utterly memorable idiolect.

Consider Withnail's trademark ranting, hot with injured dignity: "How dare you? How dare you? How dare you call me inhumane?" Marwood's glum prose-poetry: "We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell..." Uncle Monty's florid self-pity: "It is the most shattering experience of a young man's life, when one morning he awakes, and quite reasonably says to himself, I will never play the Dane..." Danny's brain-damaged chop-logic: "Why trust one drug and not the other? That's politics, isn't it?" Jake's peasant menace: "If I hear more wordsa you, I'll put one of these here black pods on yer." (The "black pod" in question being an eel.) Or even the policeman who has just one line, which sounds like just one word: "Gettinthebackofthevan!!!"

As all the actors who worked with him on the film attested, Robinson was a stickler for verbal precision. Not only did he frown on improvisation, he had a diamond-hard notion of the rhythms his actors needed to find: "Out of the car. Please. Sir." Each full stop to be noted. In the matter of dramatic punctuation, Robinson's ear is as sharp as Harold Pinter's. Such ferocious adherence to the script might sound like a recipe for cramped, mechanical performances; the reality is anything but pinched. The minor characters - splendidly played by Ralph Brown, the late Michael Elphick, Richard Griffith - are meaty Dickensian caricatures; the two leads, Paul McGann as "I" and Richard E Grant as Withnail - are magnificent close-up portraits.

Is there no point on which the film can be faulted? A few minor ones, perhaps: as a first-time director, who threw himself on the mercy of his crew, Robinson does not always equal his verbal mastery with elaborate visual flourishes. His comic timing, on the other hand, is close to flawless. There seems no reason why a shot of a wrecking ball smashing into the side of a terrace, to the strains of "All Along the Watchtower" should provoke whoops of laughter. It always does, though. The film as a whole is much more thoughtfully directed than even its fans tend to allow. Maybe one of those first-year undergraduates who is new to the whole thing might like to write a paper about the influence of Chaplin's The Gold Rush on Robinson's comic technique?

These are a few of the proposals that can be made to those sceptics who persist in maintaining that the film is a silly, scruffy, negligible scrap of self-indulgence. As I summed up the film in the BFI book: "It is an outstandingly touching yet witheringly unsentimental drama of male friendship (friendship in all its full horror, one might say), a bleak up-ending of the English pastoral dream, a piece of ferocious verbal inventiveness in which unabashedly recondite literary allusions sparkle in the knockabout farce like emeralds in the mud... To pronounce oneself immune to the charms of Withnail & I is to declare oneself a philistine, a Puritan and a snob." Pass the lighter fluid.

* A 20th anniversary three-disc DVD of 'Withnail & I' has just been released.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 19228.html

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Return to Data & Research Compilations