Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Postby American Dream » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:34 pm

CALL FOR A NEW BUDDHISM

by Christopher Calder

WHO AND WHAT IS A BUDDHIST?

Historians tell us that Siddhartha Gautama (563? to 483? BC) was the founder of the organized religion we call Buddhism. The fundamental meaning of the word 'Buddha' is 'Enlightened One.' We know that there were many enlightened ones, many Buddhas, before Siddhartha Gautama's birth and there have been many Buddhas after Siddhartha's death. The historic Buddha was born a Hindu and the evidence suggests Siddhartha wished to reform Hinduism rather than reject it completely. Siddhartha Gautama died a Hindu, not a Buddhist, just as Jesus died a Jew, not a Christian.

What we call Buddhism today is an amalgamation of the true teachings of Siddhartha combined with invented myths and large amounts of culture derived from the country in which the Buddhism is practiced. Tibetan Buddhism, for example, is as much Tibetanism as it is Buddhism. Buddha's words were handed down for several centuries through oral tradition before a committee was formed to commit the communal heritage, not memory, of Buddha's teaching to written scripture. No human being who actually met the Buddha wrote any of the famous Buddhist scriptures that present day followers take so literally and seriously.

Can we separate the essential teachings of the many enlightened ones, the many Buddhas, from mere tradition? Can we bring Buddhism up to date by keeping the essential tools of enlightenment while discarding the cultural biases that burden the path with unnecessary obstacles? I believe we can create a new Buddhism if we use our consciousness to analyze our situation as present day seekers of enlightenment. By this most fundamental definition of the word 'Buddhism,' anyone who seeks enlightenment can be called a Buddhist.

IS BUDDHISM PRO-FAMILY?

Our lives have changed dramatically since the days of the historic Buddha. Technological advances such as birth control have reshaped our most basic human behavior. In Siddhartha's time, if you had sex you were always potentially creating a new child. The strict sexual disciplines of Buddhism were born in a era when sex meant children and children meant no time to meditate. Surviving with primitive farming methods was difficult and raising a family under such severe conditions left little energy for introspection. Today many people are able to have a full life, a family, and still have the time and energy to meditate. The average adult American watches over four hours of television a day, so most of us can easily spare at least one hour a day for meditation. We do not have to give up all contact with the opposite sex in order to find our true existential identity.

A rich society brings with it the possibility of creating a more complete human being than Siddhartha's era could afford. Which is more important for society: sex, family, and wealth creation, or meditation, solitude, and detachment? Don't we have a need for all? If you live for seventy years you can easily spend a few years in solitude and then go on to have a rich family life. Will the added experience of wife and children make you a smaller person or a bigger person? By repressing our procreative desires we are not becoming more whole or holy but rather are simply building a firewall inside ourselves that divides our being into two. Cut into parts we will have less energy, not more energy. I believe it is more wholesome to become a fully functioning human being than to retreat into the misperceived safety of half a life.

Back in 1971, when I was twenty one years old, I had an experience I would never forget. I was walking around the large Baudhanath Stupa near Katmandu, Nepal. There was a large group of monks walking that day, spinning prayer wheels and chanting in the brilliant sunlight. A middle aged monk in his forties came up to me and asked: "What's it like to be with a woman?" I was shocked that a good looking and healthy man in his forties should have to ask a twenty one year old what sexual intercourse was like. I had decided years earlier never to become a celibate monk and that day engraved my feelings even deeper into my soul.

The Catholic Church has made sex a taboo for priests and the priesthood has been plagued with scandals of sexual perversion and pedophilia. Many famous gurus from the East have taught celibacy in public while seducing female disciples in private. I am not against teachers and students of meditation having normal and healthy sex. I am against all the lying and hypocrisy. Sex is as natural to humans as breathing, eating, and sleeping. How can such an essential activity for the survival of the human race be thought of as "unspiritual" and why make it a big secret?

EXTREME BUDDHISM AND SELF-DEFENSE

Some, but not all Buddhist circles have a politically correct insistence on absolute nonviolence. Tibet had no effective army to fight off the Chinese invasion of 1950. The less politically correct and more pragmatic Nepalese fought off the Chinese with ease. The Nepalese Gurkha fighters have a reputation for being among the bravest soldiers in the world. Tibet is enslaved and Nepal is free because Tibetan Buddhism went too far in the direction of extreme philosophical purity. Idealism is a form of mental opium. It may feel good for a short while but the long term effects can be disastrous. I do not call for war mongering or aggressive behavior toward one's neighbors. I do call for a strong sense that self-defense is normal, natural, and a basic necessity of life. Every animal on this planet has some form of defense mechanism and human beings should have many layers of defense to protect ourselves, our families, and our society. Having an army is not evil, it is just good common sense.

WHAT IS RELEVANT IN BUDDHISM?

Over the centuries Buddhism has collected a great deal of hocus pocus and excess baggage. Meditation is not a very complicated affair. It takes time, patience, and whole hearted commitment, but it is not intellectually difficult. Meditation is a gentle and loving step beyond the mind, not a complicated new philosophy that the mind must learn.

The cosmic consciousness we seek is the ultimate blank page. Nothing can be written on it and there is no dogma inside it. No individual can claim ownership of it and no country can pollute it with its customs and prejudices. Cosmic consciousness remains an eternally wild and pure phenomena because it is beyond all of our minds. Our methods may be organized but the thing itself is anarchic and beyond the realm of society and culture. Some Buddhist teachers give the false impression that superconsciousness is a mapped out empire that has been conquered and controlled by the great masters. This is simply not the case and is an absolute impossibility.

I have met people who think that by learning to speak Tibetan, Japanese, or Sanskrit they will somehow become more spiritual. The cosmic blank page does not care about your language. It is simply there and available to anyone who is open enough to perceive it. Frankly, Buddhism and all the other religions of the world have become in large part just nonsense. People are given the impression that if they become enlightened they will have spiritual thoughts and will be talking to deities and angels. A safer bet is that when you become enlightened you will become totally silent inside. You will be able to think or not think, turning the thinking part of your mind on and off like a radio at will.

One Taiwanese Buddhist group has constructed a Godzilla Buddha, a steel statue of a standing Siddhartha so grotesquely monstrous in proportions that I am not sure if it is meant to scare little children or just prove that my God is bigger than your God. Some Buddhist sects still preach that there is a "Western Paradise," where good Buddhist go to live after they die. Are they talking about Beverly Hills? Buddhism has its carnival of nonsense, just as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

DO BUDDHISTS HAVE SOULS?

Many Buddhists believe that Siddhartha Gautama denied the existence of the human soul. Others claim that he only meant to dispel the belief that soul is a magical entity existing beyond any dependence on natural cosmic forces. Another explanation is that Buddha was playing with words in order to keep his disciples from becoming attached and selfish. A denial of soul may be of less value in the industrialized, computerized 21st century than it was in ancient India. The background and lifestyle of humans living today differs greatly from Siddhartha Gautama's original Hindu disciples.

It is my belief that Siddhartha knew that souls exist just as trees in the forest exist, but he also knew that the cosmic void is our most fundamental being, not our physical body and not our soul body (subtle body). If Buddha denied soul he was fighting attachment but he was not telling an exact truth. Many enlightened men have played with words in order to push their disciples in one direction or another. George Gurdjieff said soul was something you had to earn through the meditation of self-observation. Ramana Maharshi said flatly that all human beings have souls. So which Buddha (Enlightened One) do we believe?

Many Buddhists, including the Dalai Lama, substitute the word 'mind' for the word 'soul' and claim that "the most subtle part of the mind survives death." They suggest that the mind is transferred from one birth to the next through reincarnation. 'Mind' is a word normally associated with the function of the brain and thinking, but the brain and the thought process do not survive our physical death. Others call soul a "bundle of desires" but that is not accurate either because the soul also contains positive human traits, not just desires and clinging.

Our souls contains the music, poetry, and personality of the individual and it is through this unique personal character that Tibetan lamas recognize the reincarnations of monks from one lifetime to the next. The subtle body also contains the kundalini passage and thus any progress one makes on the path of kundalini goes with you from one lifetime to the next. Kundalini has nothing to do with the brain or thought process so the use of the term 'mind' in place of the term 'soul' is highly misleading.

Note For simplicity sake I include the second, third, fourth, and fifth bodies in my larger definition of the word 'soul' (see The Seven Bodies). I dislike dividing people into parts, even philosophically, and I would prefer to call the entire subtle body the soul. It is possible that soul is a naturally evolved energy form on a subtle level of existence that science has not yet quantified. There is no need to believe in God to believe in soul. The most basic dictionary definition of the word soul is "the non-material aspect of a person."

If Buddhists say we must deny the existence of our soul because soul is impermanent, then why not also deny the existence of our physical bodies which are also impermanent? Why should you love your wife if she has no soul? Denial of soul is dehumanizing and disrespectful of man's true nature. Buddhists have played word games avoiding the fact of soul for centuries, confusing students and adding little, I believe, to the fundamental understanding of man's multidimensional nature. If you say you do not believe in the dog but you believe in the qualities of the dog, such as the snout, the tail, the legs, the ears, the belly, and the bark, then you are playing a word game.

I see nothing wrong in calling a soul a soul as long as students are advised that soul is not our essential being and that one must ultimately transcend the soul just as we must transcend attachment to our purely physical bodies. One could honestly ask that if the soul does not exist then what is it that becomes enlightened? The soul is the lens through which the universe becomes aware of itself on the grand and cosmic scale. To deny the lens of enlightenment is to be both ungrateful and inaccurate.

BUDDHA'S FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS

(1) Life is suffering. Is human life essentially painful from the moment of birth to the moment of death? Even ordinary life can be full of fun, adventure, friends, romance, good food, music and art. Buddhism has been in many ways an anti-life religion that appeals to those who always see the glass half empty rather than half full. Why should we deny the fact that life can be an enjoyable adventure and not just a pitiful veil of tears?

(2) All suffering is caused by ignorance. Much suffering is caused by poverty, accidents, disease, and countless other factors that can be addressed by the positive application of science. Even the fully enlightened suffer physically if they fall down and break a leg. We have modern pain killers for physical pain and psychological suffering can be burned up by meditation. Traditional Buddhist meditation techniques alone have proven inadequate for the Western mind. More relevant and powerful methods are available today. "When the locks (man) change the keys (meditation techniques) must also change." See Meditation Handbook.

(3) Suffering can be ended by overcoming ignorance and attachment. A positive spirit is also needed to overcome suffering and dwelling on the potential misery of life only amplifies that misery. Friendship, jokes, and high spirits alleviate suffering more quickly. Love, an experience rarely mentioned in Buddhist scriptures, is such a powerful force that suffering retreats in its presence. The loveless negativism of the extreme forms of Buddhism may lead to a sickly and unloving soul just as easily as an enlightened Anatman (no-soul).

(4) To suppress suffering Buddha recommended the Noble Eightfold Path, which consists of right views, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right-mindedness, and right contemplation. What are right views? Is a theocracy of Buddhist priests going to dictate to the sangha (monastic community) how to think and what to say? Intense meditation is needed by all but the difficulties of determining what is "right action" and "right speech" is fraught with dangers. Was it "right action" for Tibet to fail to develop an effective military with which to fight off an obvious Chinese threat? What brilliant monk dictated that "right action" to the sheep like sangha?

I am not saying that Siddhartha's Four Noble Truths are wrong, but rather that religious outlook is highly subjective and personal. A more positive path to enlightenment is possible that is every bit as valid as traditional Buddhism and perhaps more suited to the modern Western mind. I see this new Buddhism as an offshoot of traditional Buddhist and Hindu practice with both the old and new schools coexisting without conflict. This new path has been gradually evolving for decades in the West and this essay is simply meant to help codify and clarify that which is already being born.

Buddhism started in India but the countries to which it spread modified Buddhist teachings to fit their own temperament and culture. Tibetans now practice Tibetan Buddhism and the Japanese practice Japanese Buddhism. The original form of Indian Buddhism has become extinct. The West is far removed from Asian culture. It therefore seems obvious that a new Western Buddhism be quite different in philosophy and methodology, while retaining the ultimate goal of enlightenment.

Siddhartha left his life as a recluse in the forest to create an esoteric philosophy for the masses. The problem is there is no such thing as an esoteric philosophy because esoteric people do no need any philosophy. All doctrine is a product of the mind and the esoteric leap beyond the mind leaves all philosophies far behind. Therefore if you create a new religion it should be with the common man in mind. Religion should be life affirming, value honesty, family, democracy, and reasonable nonviolent behavior. Organized religion is useful to elevate the masses to the point where real religion begins. That point is beyond the mind and beyond any organization, scriptures, rules, or teaching.

IS TRADITIONAL BUDDHIST COMPASSION HOLLOW?

In traditional Buddhism you don't hear much talk about love, joy, and romance. That is because the essence of traditional Buddhism is to keep one's focus on suffering and death. This constant remembrance of the negative is supposed to help one become detached from life and thus attain the ultimate freedom of nirvana. The word "compassion" is used by traditional Buddhists repetitiously and unconsciously. Buddhist monks are sometimes taught to visualize sick and starving people and then feel "compassion" for their suffering. Christians are taught to feed the sick, cure the ill, and to love their spouses and children dearly. In this way Christianity is a superior religion to Buddhism because Christian compassion leads to helpful positive action and is not just a self-absorbed, self-centered pretense.

Unlike Christians, Buddhists are not known for doing great charity work because the Buddhist focus is always on the negative. Why develop a cure for a disease if nature is just going to come up with a new disease sooner or latter to take its place? Aging, decay, and death are always on the Buddhist's mind, so why bother fighting a futile battle against the inevitable physical collapse? If your religion makes suffering the centerpiece of your attention you will not nurture life to make it better because all your effort is invested in trying to escape life, not in trying to improve the art of living. If your attitude is defeatist at its core then why even bother to try? Thus Tibet was in a state of physical ruin when the Chinese army simply walked into Tibet in October of 1950. The Chinese took control with little effective resistance because Tibetans had not developed a strong and viable society.

IS ATTACHMENT TO GURU BETTER THAN ATTACHMENT TO MONEY, SEX, OR SOUL?

Another great problem for Buddhism has been the excessive worship of gurus, which is an irrational contradiction for a religion that puts such a great emphasis on detachment. Intense love can be very positive, but worship and idolization quickly degrade into enslavement. Just because a human being realizes his or her own true identity does not make that human being a deity. I have been with many teachers, some of whom were fully enlightened, but none of whom were perfect human beings. It is my understanding that all enlightened human beings remain human with weaknesses and the potential for corruption. Self-realization is not self-perfection in any total sense. It could more accurately be described as self-expansion. You become vast inside but not perfect and not all knowing. You can still be fooled by others and make blunders yourself.

Existential intelligence, the knowledge of one's self, does not automatically give you a higher IQ or a degree in science. The enlightened men I have know have all been pretty miserable at science, mathematics, and economics. They end up living in ivory towers, part created by themselves and part created by their own disciples. Spiritual teachers can even lose their basic common sense through lack of contact with the more ordinary world we live in. The last person you should go to for advice about politics or science is the guru on the mountain because he is divorced from the world that works, creates wealth, and continues the human race.

For Westerners the East represents an imagined source of pure spiritual inspiration. Unfortunately, for many poor Asian monks and teachers, the West has meant a source of income and a new livelihood. Many in the East have long felt that only Asians could comprehend the inner art of meditation and their focus in the West has been largely motivated by a desire to raise funds. If you are living in a hut in India or ramshackle monastery in Nepal, a journey to the West is an opportunity to increase your standard of living. Many Asians wrongly assume that they own meditation as if it were a proprietary cultural commodity. Westerners must beware that the East is no more innocent than the West and many Asian gurus are just as impure in motivation as our own homegrown variety of spiritual opportunist.

IS TRADITIONAL BUDDHISM PRO-FREEDOM?

The East has always had an imperial model for the teacher-student relationship. At worst it has degraded into a Stalinistic charade of spirituality. Tibetans still enthrone their high lamas in elaborate royal ceremonies. Are we in the West going to enthrone those Westerners among us who attain enlightenment in future years? The very idea is ridiculous and counter to our finest principles of equality and democracy. I have never met any human being who was so enlightened they did not occasionally come up with some truly bad ideas. Likewise it is rare to find an individual so low that on occasion they don't have a positive suggestion. The West must develop its own Jeffersonian Buddhism based on the West's most noble principles of dignity and respect for all.

A NEW PATH IS POSSIBLE

Buddha said that life exists as constant change, but many Buddhist leaders want Buddhism to remain fixed and dead like a rock. A new, more direct path to self-realization is possible that avoids trying to make Westerners look and act more like people from the East. If Westerners are to find their own self, they will have to look inside their own self and not merely imitate the persona of others. Americans and Europeans are not the same as Tibetans and Indians. Trying to think and act like a Tibetan will only make you a false Tibetan, never a real Tibetan, and never a real enlightened Western human being.

I love and respect many Buddhist teachers who are alive today. I just hope a newer breed of teacher will one day appear that will actively encourage students of meditation to become total human beings. We need a new living Buddhism that changes with the times and the condition of the seekers traveling the path. Westerners can afford the luxury of being lovers, parents, meditators, and creators of wealth all in the same lifetime. Buddha gave up his wealth because he thought that was the only way to achieve enlightenment. I am saying you can keep your wealth, your spouse, your home, and still make spiritual progress. Science can give us the added energy we need to have it all. It all is important and nothing of importance should be discarded in the name of spirituality.

Return to Table of Contents
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Integral Abuse: Andrew Cohen and the Culture of Evolutionary Enlightenment

Be Scofield
- Founder of God Bless the Whole World and Writer for Tikkun Magazine
April 27th, 2010

Andrew Cohen is a Rude Boy. He is not here to offer comfort; he is here to tear you into approximately a thousand pieces.
- Ken Wilber

Luna Tarlo spent over three years living with her guru Andrew Cohen (founder of What is Enlightenment? magazine now called EnlightenNext) in India and the United States. After she experienced extreme forms of public condemnation and humiliation she broke from him and wrote a book depicting Cohen as an “arrogant, power-hungry, dangerous figure who practices mind control over adherents.” She is, however, different than the hundreds of other disciples who followed him. Luna Tarlo is Andrew Cohen’s mother. In an interview with the Boston Globe in 1998 she stated, Cohen “requires total surrender to him. You have to obey everything he says and trust him 100 percent, and anybody who disagrees is subject to derision and verbal abuse.” In tragic fashion she ended what had previously been a healthy and loving relationship, “I know my life with him is over, and it’s very sad. I love him a lot.”

Twelve years after Tarlo’s “The Mother of God” (1997) was published, William Yenner a follower of Cohen’s for over 13 years and insider of his Foxhollow ashram has released a scathing book which chronicles the abuse that Cohen’s mother spoke of. “American Guru: A Story of Love, Betrayal and Healing – former students of Andrew Cohen speak out” (2009) is an insider’s look at how this self-proclaimed “rude boy” manipulated, abused, pressured and controlled his followers. The accounts given (an excerpt from the book is below) are very disturbing. After reading them I feel saddened, shocked and angry. And as I note below Cohen’s contemporaries have an ethical responsibility to speak out. Yenner was certainly in a position to know about these abuses as he was a central player in Cohen’s operation. He explains his role, “I was a member of the “inner circle” of Cohen’s students; in fact, I lived in his personal residence for several years, was a member of the EnlightenNext Board of Directors, and was the real estate scout who located and helped arrange the purchase of the 220 acre, nearly three-million-dollar, EnlightenNext “World Headquarters” at Foxhollow, as well as the EnlightenNext Centre in London.” And like many others in the group Yenner had “donated” a very large amount of money ($80,000) to Cohen. These large sums of money were part of Cohen’s plan. Yenner writes,

Andrew let it be understood that his good favor could also be had for a price, establishing a practice that was morally reprehensible, legally questionable and indicative of a degree of corruption that had warped his ideals and would eventually stain the fabric of his entire organization. It is a testament to the faith that so many of us had in Andrew that, despite the questionable nature of these new financial arrangements, we complied – some of us taking on enormous and ill-advised debt. Though it may be difficult for outsiders to comprehend, our desire to please our guru was so great that we were prepared to mortgage our futures in order to do so.

Survivors of Jonestown speak similarly about how once they gave their money, assets and signed over their homes to Jim Jones and the “church” it was the final step in the loss of their identities. I don't mean to suggest that Cohen is comparable to Jim Jones or that his followers are about to commit mass suicide. But rather I am merely highlighting the similarity in these actions to illustrate how the giving over of yourself includes money, property and belongings. And furthermore this loss of property is directly linked to the increasing loss of the ability to remain an autonomous agent within the group.

For years after his departure in 2001 Yenner remained silent. Like the others he was pressured under “extreme psychological distress and in an emotionally crushed state of mind” into giving his $80,000 and a few years after he finally broke with Cohen he wanted it back. Cohen agreed but made Yenner sign a five-year non-judicial but binding gag order to not speak about his experiences at Foxhollow or with Cohen. This enforced silence was, Yenner states, but yet another reminder to him that Cohen wasn’t ready to let him go. But the gag order expired in 2008 and now Yenner’s book is published.

Luna Tarlo and William Yenner’s books are not the only criticisms of Cohen to surface. Prior to the release of Yenner’s book some of Cohen’s former followers had set up a website, What Enlightenment?, in 2004 that chronicled his abusive and controlling methods with advice on cult recovery. Yenner’s book also contains the passages from other former Foxhollow members. In 2003 former What Is Enlightenment? editor Andre van der Braak published “Enlightenment Blues: My Years with an American Guru”. An eleven year disciple of Cohen’s, van der Braak chronicled the abuse and manipulation he witnessed and experienced as part of the Foxhollow community. He reports that one of the more mild but still disturbing elements of daily life in the community consisted of 600 daily prostrations while repeating the required mantra, “To know nothing, to have nothing, to be no one.” And Geoffry Falk in his “Stripping the Guru’s: Sex, Violence, Abuse and Enlightenment” dedicates an entire chapter ‘Sometimes I feel Like God’ to Cohen. It places Cohen in context of his guru Poonjaji and provides a short history of his life. (This is an excellent and important book with startling revelations about everyone from Krishnamurti and Osho to Trungpa, Sai Baba and Yogi Amrit Desai just to name a few. My endorsement of this book is not about its level of scholarship as I must humbly admit I am in no position to evaluate this. Rather I appreciate the book because it draws attention to the phenomenon of cults, gurus and spiritual abuse. The whole book is available free online. Here is a link to the chapter on Cohen).

What did Cohen do? This is an excerpt from American Guru.

Some years ago at Foxhollow, a student named Jeff, a very good writer, was having a great deal of trouble with a writing project he had been assigned to do. He was supposed to write an introduction to a book Andrew was publishing, but he was having no success. Feeling terrible guilt about this, he wrote in a desperate letter to Andrew, “If I don’t come through, I will cut my finger off.” Andrew seemed to like this idea. When Jeff still did not succeed at his writing, Andrew called for Mikaela, [who was a] physician, to come see him…. Andrew told Mikaela to go to see Jeff, and to bring her medical kit. She was instructed to tell Jeff that Andrew was taking him up on his offer to sacrifice a finger. She should take out her scalpel, her mask, her gloves, a sponge – everything she would need for such an operation – and lay them all out. She was told to carry through the charade up to the very last minute, and then stop. When Mikaela visited Jeff, he had barely slept in about a week. He was in a desperate state…. Mikaela [later] confirmed…that she had followed Andrew’s instructions precisely. Jeff was severely and obviously shaken by the incident. He left Andrew and Foxhollow a few weeks later.

Face slapping and name-calling, while they were uncalled for and may have been damaging, were mild in comparison to other questionable manifestations of “crazy wisdom” that occurred at Foxhollow. One such incident involved a student (Mikaela) who was responsible for the marketing of Andrew’s publications and who had fallen out of favor by reminding him that something he had criticized her for doing had been his idea in the first place. He decried her as evil and ordered that the walls, floor and ceiling of her office (which had been relocated to an unfinished basement room) be painted red to signify the spilled blood of her guru. She was ordered to spend hours there contemplating the implications of her transgression, with the additional aid of a large cartoon on the wall depicting her as a vampire and the word “traitor” written in large letters next to it.

Andrew often employed red paint in this fashion to create environments designed to induce shame and guilt in students that he felt had questioned his judgment or disobeyed him. Another female student who had displeased Andrew and, after leaving the community, had returned to help out on a weekend painting project, was summoned to another basement room. There she was met by four female students who, having guided her onto a plastic sheet on the floor, each poured a bucket of paint over her head as a “message of gratitude” from Andrew. She left the property traumatized and fell ill in subsequent days (during which she was harassed by phone calls from another student who, at Cohen’s instigation, repeatedly called her a “coward”) and never again returned to Foxhollow. “Crazy wisdom” is the most charitable possible explanation for these often traumatic and disturbing incidents, many of which have already been related on the whatenlightenment.net blog. Several of these student accounts of Andrew Cohen’s “acts of outrageous integrity,” employed to dubious or damaging effect, are reproduced below.

Read more disturbing details from American Guru.

Continues at: http://www.godblessthewholeworld.org/in ... nment.html
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Cross-posted to the Economic Aspects of "Love" thread but excerpted for more relevance here.

Capitalist Spirituality for the New World Order

So what type of spiritual education is provided by the Wisdom University? Well, according to their Web site:

The average student enrolled at Wisdom University is a professional, with an established career and one or more advanced degrees. They have come to the conclusion that they need deeper spiritual challenges in order to maintain momentum and meaning in their lives. Our students soon discover that they can continue to grow spiritually and professionally at Wisdom University, thus combining spiritual nourishment with enhanced professional qualifications.

It appears that Wisdom University provides spiritual guidance for corporate and political elites who have lost their way (and inner peace) in the harsh capitalist, individualistic, secular world that they promote as the panacea for the world's problems. This form of globalized corporate spirituality is an important phenomenon. Paul Heelas writes in his landmark book The New Age Movement (Blackwell Publishers, 1996) how: "A significant number of New Agers have in fact moved beyond counter-cultural antagonism to the capitalistic mainstream. Instead, they incorporate the creation of prosperity." (16) This is what Jeremy Carrette and Richard King refer to in their book Selling Spirituality: The Silent Takeover of Religion (Routledge, 2005) as "capitalist spirituality," which they argue is "utilised to 'smooth out' resistance to the growing power of corporate capitalism and consumerism." (17) They write:

The interiorisation of spirituality and its location within the bounds of the modern, individual self emerged with the development of psychology in the late nineteenth century. It became popularised, however, in the 1950s and 1960s with the rise of Humanistic Psychology (particularly the work of [Abraham] Maslow), professional counselling, and psychedelic culture. Having been cast as a private and psychological phenomenon, "spirituality" has gone through a second major shift in the 1980s. This is the point at which the first privatisation -- involving the creation of individual, consumer-oriented spiritualities -- begins to overlap with an increasing emphasis upon a second privatisation of religion -- that is, the tailoring of spiritual teachings to the demands of the economy and of individual self-expression to business success. This is no better illustrated than by the various self-improvement movements of the 1980s... (18)

Michael Parenti draws our attention to the activities of the arch-democracy-manipulator, Vaclav Havel, who "now promotes a sort of New Age spiritualism." Parenti points out how Havel has...

...called for a new breed of political leader, who would rely less on "rational, cognitive thinking," and show "humility in the face of the mysterious order of Being" and "trust in his own subjectivity as his principal link with the subjectivity of the world." We should have a "sense of transcendental responsibility, archetypal wisdom," and the ability "to get to the heart of reality through personal experience." Havel lists the ecological dangers facing the world but denounces the idea of rational, collective social efforts to solve them. He denounces democracy's "traditional mechanisms" for being linked to "the cult of objectivity and statistical average." He thinks he is being visionary when in fact he is putting forth an elitist subjectivism and antidemocratic obscurantism. (19)

As Steve Bruce noted in 2006, "New Age spirituality would seem to be a strong candidate for the future of religion because its individualistic consumeristic ethos fits well with the spirit of the age." (20)

Returning to Wisdom University, in order to provide spiritual comfort to their already well-educated students the University employs fourteen faculty chairs "who teach and conduct research and other programs at Wisdom University." For instance, Caroline Myss, a "pioneer in the field of energy medicine and human consciousness," is chair of Energy Medicine, while other chairs cover subjects as diverse as Sacred Dance and Interspecies Connections. Yet, the one chair that seems particularly relevant to the topic of this essay is Barbara Marx Hubbard's chair in Conscious Evolution. (21)

Marilyn Ferguson recounts some of Hubbard's achievements in the new age classic, The Aquarian Conspiracy: Personal and Social Transformation in the 1980s (Paladin Books, 1982):

In 1967, Barbara Marx Hubbard, a futurist moved by [Pierre] Teilhard's vision of evolving consciousness, invited a thousand people around the world, including [Abraham] Maslow's network, to form a "human front" of those who shared a belief in the possibility of transcendent consciousness. Hundreds responded, including Lewis Mumford and Thomas Merton. Out of this grew a newsletter and later a loose-knit organization, the [pro-space exploration group] Committee for the Future. (p.59)

Hubbard is well qualified to teach Conscious Evolution as she is the president of the Foundation for Conscious Evolution -- a group that has been "supported by major financial gifts from [the late] Laurance S. Rockefeller," amongst others. Furthermore, although not organized by Hubbard, Ferguson notes how in 1970 Lockheed Aircraft underwrote a meeting held at De Anza College in Cupertino, California, "that was the first group of scientists and physicians -- friends -- gathered in a public forum to assert their interest in spiritual realities and alternative approaches to health." She adds that within a few years similar meetings were taking place all over America, and the "Rockefeller, Ford, and Kellogg foundations funded programmes exploring the interface of mind and health." (22)

An important person working alongside Barbara Marx Hubbard at the Foundation for Conscious Evolution during the 1990s was Nancy Carroll, who served as the Foundation's executive director from 1993 to 1999. Like Hubbard, Carroll happens to be a founding board member of a group called Women of Vision and Action -- a group whose advisory board includes people like Maurice Strong's wife, Hanne Strong, and Alison Van Dyk (who is the chairman of the board and interim executive director at the Temple of Understanding at the United Nations).

Here it is interesting to return to the fact that one of Hubbard's most influential supporters at the Foundation for Conscious Evolution was David Rockefeller's brother, Laurance Rockefeller. This is noteworthy as Rockefeller dynasties activities have long provided fertile grounds for one world government conspiracy theorists (for example, in 1952 Emanuel Josephson published his book Rockefeller, 'Internationalist': The Man Who Misrules the World). Ironically Laurance Rockefeller is directly involved in funding research that advocates the legitimacy of some phenomena often categorised as conspiracy theories.

Writing in 2002, Leslie Kean, an investigative reporter and producer with Pacifica Radio, noted that "a study about to be published [on crop circles] by a team of scientists and funded by Laurance Rockefeller concludes 'it is possible that we are observing the effects of a new or as yet undiscovered energy source.'" This funding of what in many circles is considered to be non-academic research is not however an anomaly, as for instance Laurance Rockefeller has also supported the research of the late professor of psychiatry John Mack (formerly based at Harvard Medical School). (23) Indeed, John Mack, shortly before publishing his book, Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens (Charles Scribner, 1994), with funding provided by Laurance Rockefeller, founded the Program for Extraordinary Experience Research. Thus the very family that is considered to be at the heart of the one world government conspiracies (the Rockefellers) is involved in promoting research that encourages the public to believe in theories that more sceptical people consider to be conspiratorial. (24)

A significant observation is that Hubbard's spiritual work is complemented by her pro-space exploration activities, which saw her provide financial assistance to a group called the L5 Society, a group that was formed in 1975 and later merged (in 1987) with the National Space Institute to form the National Space Society. More recently, Hubbard provided the "inspiration" that (in 2005) helped launch the Council for the Future -- a joint project of three leading space advocacy groups: the Space Frontier Foundation, the National Space Society, and the Mars Society. According to their Web site:

The Council [for the Future] is shaping an Earth/Space/Human Development Agenda. The Council is also shaping a new social meme or world view that is consistent with that Agenda. As part of the meme, there is full agreement as to the imperative of extending human civilization into space, and that logical coherent steps must be taken in the very near term to facilitate that accomplishment.

Hubbard sits on the Council for the Future's board of directors alongside Rick Tumlinson. Tumlinson is linked to Walter Anderson, one of the world's leading capitalists who plans to colonize space and profit from an imperialist space agenda. Tumlinson is the executive director and cofounder of the ominously named Foundation for the International Nongovernmental Development of Space, a group that was launched with $5 million from Anderson. Anderson backed the Roton project that aimed to make space travel "affordable." In 1991 he funded the establishment of the Space Frontier Foundation. This foundation's advisory board includes a representative from the Center for Enterprise in Space, and a variety of popular authors including the late Arthur C. Clarke of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame. Like Hubbard, Clarke happened to be a member of the Club of Budapest, whose efforts to promote a form of spirituality that can overcome all geographic and cultural divides appears to be highly suited to the homogenizing practices of corporate-led globalization and the defeat of democracy.

Hubbard's direct affiliations to other liberal corporate globalizers are strong, and in 1966 she helped cofound the World Future Society -- current board members of this group include amongst others, Maurice Strong, and the former US secretary of defense and subsequent Ford Foundation president, Robert McNamara. In addition, until recently the well-known corporate futurists Alvin Toffler and his wife, Heidi Toffler, sat alongside the late Arthur C. Clarke on the World Future Society's global advisory council. Hubbard's ties to corporate-backed futurists does not bode well for her involvement in teaching any form of emancipatory lessons in higher consciousness at Wisdom University. As Murray Bookchin observed:

The radical thrust of utopian thinking, as exemplified by [Charles] Fourier, has been transmuted by academics, statisticians, and "game theorists" into a thoroughly technocratic, economistic, and aggressive series of futuramas that can be appropriately designated as "futurism." However widely at odds utopias were in their values, institutional conceptions, and visions (whether ascetic or hedonistic, authoritarian or libertarian, privatistic or communistic, utilitarian or ethical), they at least had come to mean a revolutionary change in the status quo and a radical critique of its abuses. Futurism, at its core, holds no such promise at all. In the writings of such people as Herman Kahn, Buckminster Fuller, Alvin Toffler, John O'Neill, and the various seers in Stanford University's "think tanks," futurism is essentially an extrapolation of the present into the century ahead, of "prophecy" denatured to mere projection. It does not challenge existing social relationships and institutions, but seeks to adapt them to seemingly new technological imperatives and possibilities -- thereby redeeming rather than critiquing them. The present does not disappear; it persists and acquires eternality at the expense of the future. Futurism, in effect, does not enlarge the future but annihilates it by absorbing it into the present. What makes this trend so insidious is that it also annihilates the imagination itself by constraining it to the present, thereby reducing our vision -- even our prophetic abilities -- to mere extrapolation.(25)

Like the aims of the Club of Budapest, Hubbard's work appears better geared towards constraining new thought to the stifling confines of capitalist prerogatives. This makes it especially ironic that Hubbard is a member of the Leadership Council of the Association for Global New Thought. The Association's executive director, Barbara Fields Berstein -- who also serves on the board of Hubbard's Foundation for Conscious Evolution -- is the former co-director of Harvard University's Global Negotiation Network's Abraham Path Initiative. This affiliation is significant because, as recounted in the article, "Alternative Dispute Resolution or Revolution," the activities promoted by the Global Negotiation Network's work are indicative of the type of strategies that the corporate and political elites zealously promote to boost global corporate equity, not human equality. Finally, it is interesting to point out that Berstein is a board member of EarthAction, another project that is linked to Harvard University's Alternative Dispute Resolution network through the head of their Global Negotiation Project, William Ury (who serves on the advisory board of EarthAction). Consequently, given its key role in attempting to catalyse the formation of a one world government, the following section will explore the background of this group.

The whole piece is available at: http://www.swans.com/library/art15/barker17.html
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm

http://csp.org/chrestomathy/extreme_prejudice.html

Religion and Psychoactive Sacraments: An Entheogen Chrestomathy

Thomas B. Roberts, Ph.D. and Paula Jo Hruby, Ed.D.

Extreme Prejudice, Excessive Force, Zero Tolerance: Cultural Political Economy of the U. S. Drug Wars, 1980-1996

White, Jonathan David. (1997)
Washington, DC: The George Washington University.

ISBN: none

Description: Doctoral dissertation. Vol. 1, vii + pages, 1-276 pages. Vol. 2, pages. 277-540.

Contents: Acknowledgments, abstract, 5 chapters, Appendix: A Chronology of Drug Wars Cinema, bibliography, discography, filmography.

Note: Theses and dissertations are available from UMI, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI., in several sizes and bindings.

Excerpt(s): ABSTRACT

This work investigates the representation in popular culture of the Drug Wars fought by the United States since the election of Ronald Reagan. The central thesis of my study of the cultural political economy of the Drug Wars is that the narcotic anarchy the Drug Wars State purports to suppress is in fact an ideological displacement of the real target, which is the organized and disciplined political agency of oppositional forces. In my first chapter, I outline the political economy of the Drug Wars in order to establish that the real target of U. S. counternarcotics operations is not illicit drug manufacturing and distribution, but leftist guerilla movements in Latin America, and an array of subalterns including poor women, recent immigrants, people of color, and queers within the territorial borders of the U.S. In my second chapter, I offer a critique of "the Addiction Narrative," a popular cultural form which depicts white, upper-middleclass subjects "falling" into desperate poverty and sex work. I trace the relationships this form. seen in films like Less Than Zero, constructs between class and sexuality. both for straight women and gay/bisexual men as addicts. In chapter three, I explore "Psychedelic Orientalism." another popular myth-structure, which articulates a correlation between Asian (especially Chinese/Chinese-American), Middle Eastern, and Native American identities and hallucinogenic drug states. I explore the racist and neocolonialist politics of this form by tracing its history from Thomas De Quincey to recent films like The Doors and Year of the Dragon. My fourth chapter explicates the mythology of "the Illegal Economy of the Border and the Street," a complex system that uses violent fictions purporting to realistically treat the transnational cocaine and heroin trades as a coded discourse on race, class. and nation. My fifth chapter relates these cinematic and literary productions to the theory that the Drug Wars are a form of low-intensity conflict, and argues that low-intensity conflict is ultimately a form of cultural struggle. (page v)

… This decisive aspect of early Psychedelic Orientalism, from its initial prefiguration in De Quincey's fearful enemy the Malay to the arrival of the always-fiendish Dr. Fu-Manchu, would play no role in the second stage of Psychedelic Orientalism. But it is always dangerous to speak prematurely of a powerful racist myth as being dead; it was in fact only sleeping, and would return in the Drug Wars of the 1980s and 90s.

Asian Religions, Native Americans. and the Trip--Racist Love (1955-1970)

The first historical stage of Psychedelic Orientalism, as I have argued, can be traced from the publication of the Confessions of An English Opium Eater to the Japanese imperialist occupation of "Manchukuo," from 1822 to 1938. It would be nearly two decades before Psychedelic Orientalism, in what appears at first to be a radically different form, would resurface in the literary and scientific culture of the West. There is a dialectical opposition between the first and second stages. Both construct the drugged mental state and the subjectivity of colonized peoples as mutual signifiers; however, the first stage articulates this relation in terms of what Frank Chin and Jeffrey Paul Chan call "racist hate," and the second, in terms of Chin and Chan's concept of "racist love." Whereas the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries confronted the Asianization or North Africanization of white drug-users as a terrible crisis, a miscegenatory threat to the West, or a nighnnare, the Psychedelic Orientalist writers of the 1950s and 1960s greeted the Orientalization of the Western subject as a form of enlightenment or liberation from false consciousness. It would not be an exaggeration to describe this new philosophy of cultural transmigration as one of the core literary and intellectual traditions of the 1960s, and certainly the most important theoretical modality of that particular account of the era as "the Psychedelic Sixties." To this tradition belong many of the most influential writers of the period, including Aldous Huxley, Alan W. Watts, Timothy Leary, William S. Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Gary Snyder, Carlos Castaneda, Paul Bowles, and Robert Anton Wilson. It is this historical moment which witnesses the coining of the term "psychedelic," meaning "mind-manifesting," as an alternative for terms like "psychotomimetic," "hallucinogenic," or "narcotic" and, in a conceptual move that would have enormous significance, the core drugs of this second wave of Psychedelic Orientalism are no longer opium and hashish, but LSD, peyote (and its derivative, mescaline), and teonanactl mushrooms (and their derivative, psilocybin).

It is possible to date the rebirth of Psychedelic Orientalism from the publication of Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception. In this first text of the second stage of the historical development of Psychedelic Orientalism, every major element of the resuscitated genre appears. First, the work avows that, through ingesting psychotropic drugs, the narrator acquires spontaneous, complete, penetrative insight into the deepest mystical truths of Asian religion. Second, Huxley utilizes Psychedelic Orientalism as a discourse about Native Americans as well as the traditional peoples of the "Orient." Third, the text portrays these transformations of white subjectivity not as nightmarish terror but as ecstasy.

In The Doors of Perception, Huxley's 1953 experiment with mescaline becomes the means of his understanding the inner workings of Buddhism.

The Beatific Vision, Sat Chit Ananda, Being-Awareness-Bliss, for the first time I understood, not on the verbal level, not by inchoate hints or at a distance, but precisely and completely what those prodigious syllables referred to.

The Zen parable of the hedge at the bottom of the garden (which is, the master tells the student, the "Dharma-Body of the Buddha") becomes "all clear as day, as evident as Euclid. Of course the Dharma-Body of the Buddha was the hedge at the bottom of the garden". Huxley's phrase "as evident as Euclid" is especially suggestive of his project of appropriating Buddhist philosophy for the West; Euclid, as Greek philosopher-mathematician, is indelibly associated with that imaginary history, "the Western Tradition."

In its first phase, Psychedelic Orientalism transformed whites into their own fantasies/nightmares of the colonized, but it did so in a very particular, carnal way (as is already implied by the earlier elaboration of the three axes of the hedonistic, the sadistic, and the passive); the Oriental minds into which they were translated had no real secrets to divulge, except the sensory thrills of their bodies. This initial phase of Psychedelic Orientalism is a part of the cultural political economic extension of control over the bodies of colonized peoples, as labor in imperialist capitalism. By contrast, the second phase of Psychedelic Orientalism (1950s/60s) demonstrates a new valiung (in both senses of the word) of the thoughts, ideas, and beliefs to be experienced "firsthand" by the white Americans changing into colonized others. But without a doubt, the greatest interest, indeed the single preoccupying interest of the 1950s and 1960s generation of Psychedelic Orientalists is religious experience. Tibetan Buddhism, Zen, Hinduism, Yaqul religion, Taoism, Andean Indian religions, and Sufism all suddenly render up all their secrets to their drug-using white interlocutors.

That The Doors of Percention's spontaneous insight into Asian religion occurs under the influence of mescaline, which Huxley describes as that "friend of immemorially long standing" to "primitive religion and the Indians of Mexico", helps to contextualize the theoretical problem of just how Psychedelic Orientalism, that scheme for representing Asian Americans, comes to bear on Native Americans as well during this period. One of the crucial transformations of the Psychedelic Orientalist tradition in its second historical stage is the extension of its logic to include Native North, South, and Central Americans. Orientalism is an elastic system, developed by Europeans (including Euro-Americans) to designate certain modes of otherness more, in many ways, than certain geopolitical categories. Its use is warranted, however, in discussions of Psychedelic Orientalism of the Sixties and after, because that discourse so completely, and repeatedly, confounds Asian and Native American cultures, using the traditional mechanisms of Orientalism (as historically elaborated to describe peoples in Asia and the Middle East). Of course, the culture and history of Yaqui Indians, for example, are radically dissimilar from those of the Chinese--but no more so than the Chinese from Algerians, Orientals of equally long standing. (pages 212-214)

Unlike the form of Psychedelic Orientalism that prevailed from before the Opium Wars to World War II, Huxley's The Doors of Percepetion does not construct the Orientalization of the white narrator as pathogenic or nightmarish; instead, the experience takes the form of ecstasy and illumination. In Aldous Huxley's work can be seen the transformation of values that 1950s-1960s Psychedelic Orientalism represented in the philosophical evaluation of drugs, and the underlying structures of anti-Asian racism that remained untouched throughout the upheaval. This may be imagined as a dialectic between Huxley's psychedelic dystopia, the soma-opiated planet of Brave New World (1932), and his psychedelic utopia, the moksha-illuminated society of Island (1962). "Soma" refers to the mysterious ecstatic drug of the Rig Veda, which Robert Gordon Wasson contended was the fly-agaric mushroom; the 1932 novel depicts the Fordist world-controllers using a drug whose very name bears the stamp of Asian religious mysticism to keep the populace passive and languorous--in other words, to psychedelically Orientalize (in the negative sense of the first historical phase of the genre) the entire world. By contrast, the mushroom in Huxley's last novel, by which the idealized nation of Pala is enlightened, is also associated with Asia, but instead of embodying the most despised aspects of that continent, it now represents the spiritual possibility of the Orient; the moksha mushroom is the Asian half of the longed-for "unproblematic" synthesis of East and West, the counterpoint to Europe's contributions--Pala's language, logic, and science.

After The Doors of Perception, Huxley published Heaven and Hell, which made clear that the De Quinceyan tradition of being "transported into Asian scenery" was not abolished in the new Psychedelic Orientalism, but merely transformed. What remains intact in this revaluation is the colonial epistemology of travel as "discovery," a near-total synonym in the history of Europe for conquest and domination. This procedure, according to Huxley's metaphorical structure, did not reside in history, but in the psyche:

A man consists of what I may call an Old World of personal consciousness and, beyond a dividing sea, a series of New Worlds--the not too distant Virginias and Carolinas of the personal subconscious and the vegetative soul; the Far West of the collective unconscious, with its flora of symbols, its tribes of aboriginal archetypes; and, across another, vaster ocean, at the antipodes of everyday consciousness, the world of Visionary Experience. (pages 216-217)

The metaphor of the colonial exploration and conquest for the psychedelic revolution did not end with Huxley. This language is picked up by the Harvard psychologist Timothy Leary, a writer who, while studying and emulating Huxley, consistently took Huxley's rhetorical innovations in Psychedelic Orientalism much farther than would be dared in Island, The Doors of Percention, or Heaven and Hell. The materials created by Aldous Huxley, Alan W. Watts, Robert Gordon Wasson, and Louis Lewin are transformed into Psychedelic Orientalism in its purest state in the crucible of Timothy Leary's theoretical work. Leary is undoubtedly the thinker of the 1960s least understood by contemporary scholarship. It is customary either to compose elegies to him, as Allen Ginsberg does, as "a hero of American consciousness" ("Foreword' xviii), or to dismiss him as a dated crank. In terms of his contemporary reception, Leary's writings are irrelevant; as a demigod like pioneer or as a joke, Leary is always a metonymic stand-in for the Sixties legacy itself on trial. Such programmatic responses have obscured serious analysis of his influential and sophisticated theoretical work, and the central position it occupies in Psychedelic Orientalism's power to elaborate and affirm racist and colonialist ideology while ostensibly discussing human consciousness. This is the key to Leary's work, and through it to all of Psychedelic Orientalism. (page 218)

Psychedelic Orientalism, applies to Leary's work as well; not only is drug experimentation metaphorically represented as colonial exploration. but actual sightseeing in the East is encoded as drug experience. "A trip to India is a full-blown LSD experience" (High Priest). One facet of the Learian representation of psychotropics use as travel, tourism, or colonial exploration is so commonplace now that it may escape many readers that Leary himself coined the term trip to describe the psychedelic experience.

In High Priest, Timothy Leary created the central document of the Psychedelic Orientalist boom of the 50s and 60s. As the title's double-entendre on "high" implies, the topic of High Priest is the proclamation (or usurpation) of religious authority through experiences of drug intoxication. Although, significantly, High Priest begins and ends with Mexican Indian religion, and although the entire psychoactive pharmacopeia with which Leary experiments is knowledge appropriated from Native North and South American religious and scientific knowledge, the main emphasis in High Priest is upon Buddhism and Hinduism. Leary emphatically asserts that LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline have not only opened to him the mysteries of these religions, but that in fact he, and not a traditionally-trained Asian religious leader, is the genuine informed repository of this knowledge. At the same time, Leary confidently reassures his readers that Hinduism and Buddhism both designate "the past".

Hinduism divulges all its inner meanings to Leary and to other whites, provided they are sufficiently exposed to psychedelics. Under the influence of LSD, a white woman becomes "pure advaita vedanta. She was Krishna, lecturing Arjuna" (High Priest). Similarly, while on a DMT trip, Leary reports "sudden understanding of the meaning of terms from Indian philosophy such as maya, maha-maya, lila" (274).76 In a description of a later LSD trip in an American Hindu temple, Leary continues his project of consuming Hindu religion:

I saw that day in the temple that we are all Hindus in our essence. We are all Hindu Gods and Goddesses. Laughing Krishna. Immutable Brahma. Yes and Asiatic-sensual Siva. Stem Kali with bloody hands. Undulent flowering Laxmi. Multi-armed Vishnu. Noble Rama. That day in the temple I discovered my Hindu-ness. (pages 220-221)

The lasting consequences of Leary's usurpation of Hindu religious authority are evident in the contemporary social construction, among many non-South Asian Americans, of the very meaning of the Hindu liturgical and philosophical vocabulary which Leary, through LSD, transparently knows and can teach. Rita Chaudhry Sethi writes, "Western appropriation of Hindu terms reflects the perception of religion as charlatanical; the words have been reshaped through their use in the English language with an edge of irreverence or disbelief'. As an example, Sethi cites "Nirvana," which in Hindi signifies "freedom from endless cycle of rebirth," but which in English usage designates "Psychedelic ecstasy; drug-induced high". Sethi also notes the contemporary use of the term "guru," a legitimately trained theological or philosophical instructor in Hindi but almost invariably a snide term for a self-important quack in English, a pejorative meaning which has been acquired in large part precisely because of Leary's use of the term, along with curandero, to describe himself. Through Allen Ginsberg's researches in Andean Indian ritual hallucinogen use, Leary studies the role of curanderos in functioning as guides to tripping subjects; immediately afterward he begins describing himself as a curandero. Both of these postures assumed by Leary, as guru and curandero, he links to his role guiding the experience of persons under the influence of psychedelics, and the whole question of the guide is a very important one in High Priest. The work is divided up into narratives, each called a trip, marked with its own hexagram from the I Ching (another mark of the appropriative impulse of Psychedelic Orientalism), and each such "trip" has Leary under the tutelage of a guide; William S. Burroughs, Robert Gordon Wasson, Aldous Huxley, Allen Ginsberg, Ralph Metzner, and Richard Alpert are among the guides in Leary's trips.

Besides Hinduism, Buddhism--and especially Tibetan Buddhism--is an Asian spiritual tradition over which Leary assents his personal knowledge and authority. According to Leary, Allen Ginsberg "discovered the Buddha nature of drugs with Jack Kerouac and Gary Snyder and Bill Burroughs" (High Priest). Leary describes drug trips as "satori," appropriating a term for a specific form of spontaneous enlightenment from Zen traditions (High Priest). (pages 220-221)

The diamond metaphor thus in fact designates precisely that "beauty"--an aestheticization of value--which is created by the scene of brutal exploitation that is already always invisible.

One of Leary's "guides" in High Priest is Alan W. Watts. Watts is the only professional scholar of Asian religion among the pantheon of Psychedelic Orientalist writers, and by the time his major contributions to the genre, the drug-experience narrative The Joyous Cosmology: Adventure In The Chemistry of Consciousness (1965) and the essay "Psychedelics and Religious Experience" (1968) appeared, he was already famous for having authored one of the most important popularizations of Zen Buddhism in English, The Meaning of Zen (1957). This professional background as a more traditional Orientalist provides a critical context for reading his writings on hallucinogens and East Asian spiritual traditions. In The Joyous Cosmology, Watts discusses mescaline, psilocybin, and LSD-25 as a shortcut to the truths of Taoism and Zen without these traditions' usual laborious study and discipline: (page 226)

Hallucinating A People: Native Americans and Psychedelic Orientalism in the Drug Wars

The renewed popularity of Castaneda, Leary, Burroughs, and Ginsberg in the 1980s and 1990s may in part be explained by the rise of the third historical phase of Psychedelic Orientalism. What is remarkable about this most advanced stage of the discourse is that it wields enormous power while, in effect, saying nothing new whatsoever. The Psychedelic Orientalism of the Drug Wars era is a complicated synthesis and pastiche of elements of the first two historical stages of this discursive tradition, "retooled" in Aglietta's language to meet the production needs of a new moment in U.S. cultural political economy. By "production needs" I refer specifically to the primary structural function and power of Psychedelic Orientalism in the Drug Wars: the production of more efficient systems for the exploitation and domination of Asian Americans and Native Americans. (page 235)

Peyote use by non-Indians participates both materially and ideologically in the dispossession of Native North Americans. The materiality of this process of expropriation, however, should be understood as both accelerated by and implicated in the conceptual aspect. One way we may begin to theorize this is to note the importance of the commodity-value of "Indian spirituality" to the commercial sale of peyote; at the same time that, as Mary Crow Dog points out, non-Indians consume the cactus "just like any other drug to get stoned on," they are also sold a product imbued by its ideological system of distribution with easily assimilable Indian magical secrets. But at the same time, the continuing legal prohibition on cultivation of peyote for religious purposes (only Indians' gathering of the increasingly rare wild cactus is permissible) involves the hermeneutic of condemnation as illicit drugs--a status the plant acquires through the law's preferential understanding of peyote as the hallucinogen consumed "just like any other drug to get stoned on" over, for example, peyote as a sacrament or peyote as a medical treatment for alcoholism. It should be understood, then, that non-Indian society's relation to peyote, in tandem with U.S. law's recognition of an exceptional relationship between Indians and peyote, contributes not to a sense of Indian ceremonial right, but to the Psychedelic Orientalist myth that peyote is a "hallucinogen" and Indians a "hallucinogenic" people. (page 239)
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 am

Cross-posted to the Economic Aspects of "Love" thread:

http://colonialinscriptions.wordpress.com/

Diane Bell, on ‘Desperately Seeking Redemption’

Diane Bell discusses Marlo Morgan and Lynn V. Andrews, with obvious implications for others, placing it within the context of American Indian Movement (AIM) who had ‘protested, picketed, and passed resolutions condemning those individuals and institutions that packaged Indian sweat lodges, vision quests, shamanic healing, and sun dances for the spiritually hungry’. On Morgan and Andrews, Bell writes:

Morgan’s and Andrews’s readers often tell me that these books offer a vision of a world in which all life forms coexist in physical and spiritual harmony; where one person’s journey can undo centuries of abuse; where women are wise; where, despite differences in language, history, geography, economic status, and personal skills, we are all one. Here is community, meaning, belonging–all the,connectedness for which the self-absorbed, postindustrial, fragmented individual yearns. I certainly agree that we should be open to wisdom from a range of sources, but must we suspend all critical faculties in the process? It matters that the beliefs and practices of Native Americans and Australian Aborigines have been put through a cultural blender. It matters that the stories of those engaged in ongoing struggles for their very lives are marginalized, and that these representations of indigenous peoples are romantic and ahistorical. Morgan and Andrews shroud their “native teachers” in mystery while telling us that they hold the keys to true and authentic ways of knowing.

Marketers of neo-shamanic books and workshops claim that indigenous wisdom is part of our common human heritage. By sharing such knowledge, the argument goes, together we can save the planet. But is this sharing or a further appropriation? There is a bitter irony in turning to indigenous peoples to solve problems of affluent urbanites. In the midst of the wealth of first-world nations, most native peoples endure appalling health problems, underemployment, and grinding poverty. A philosophy of reverence for the earth rings hollow in the reality of toxic waste dumps and nuclear testing on native lands. As Ines Talamantez, of the University of California, Santa Barbara, says: “If the impulse is for respect and sharing, then come stand with us in our struggles for religious freedoms and the return of skeletal remains and against hydroelectric dams and logging roads.”

Bell, Diane. “Desperately seeking redemption.” Natural History Mar. 1997

ConFest: A thesis in defence of…whatever.

Graham St John has a Ph.D. thesis published on the ConFest website entitled Alternative Cultural Heterotopia: ConFest as Australia’s Marginal Centre. In his apologia for appropriation at ConFest, he writes for his chapter on ‘Indigeneity and Appropriation’ about the goings on in the “marginal centre”:

A white male Toc III participant posed a curious sight. With his body covered in mud, didjeridu painted in a black, yellow and red pattern, and penis decorated in matching hues, he emblematised the sensuous simulation of, and experimentation with, primitivity discovered on site. Here, participants manipulate a repertoire of symbolism (paint, musical instruments, clothing, dance styles, architecture) assuming aspects of the valorised primitive, seeking indigeneity.11 While workshops like ‘Koori astronomy’ and ‘intercultural sharing’ – involving the construction of multi-totemic murals – appeared at Toc III (in Koori Culture), body decorations using ochre (hence the experience of getting ‘ochred’) and dot painting technique have become ephemeral recently. And, like primitive antennae seen on backpackers commuting to and from ConFest, the popularity of the didjeridu has escalated. Non-indigenous Australians (usually males but increasingly females also) desire to create the vibrating drone to which Aborigines have always attributed sacred significance, a trend that is underscored by the popularity of workshops on ‘how to play didjeridu’ and ‘didge healing’,12 and stalls like ‘Heartland Didgeridoo’ which, at Toc III, was signposted:

It’s time for Aboriginal spirit to rise in us all …The didge is the sound of Mother Earth and is bringing forth the heart spirit, from the depths of our land. The Didge Spirit will guide us if we put aside our ego and be humble … The vibrating sound of the didge is stirring for it reflects the wonderful sound of creation. Even the earth rotating as taped from outer space sounds like a didgeridoo … By using it in creative ritual in day to day life and going into meditative, reflective and feeling spaces it becomes our soul companion helping open and clear the doorway to our spirit.

In sympathy with such logic, the didjeridu, a chief ritual tool used in a fire walk at Toc IV, was played over the bare feet of prospective coal walkers with the purpose of guiding their journey. Such discourse and practice is consistent with essentialising patterns like those located in contemporary world music where the instrument is often perceived to resonate Mother Earth (Neuenfeldt 1994), and whose originators are imagined to be so ‘in-touch’ with their natural environment that they themselves are Nature. However, as a conduit between the sacred and profane (1994:93), the didjeridu’s specified use in nascent performances (‘didge healing’ and the Toc IV fire walk) delivers us upon fresher ground.

For the disenchanted of Euro-origin, the world’s aboriginal peoples have become the embodiment of the sacred. Indigenes are mobilised to serve varying purposes in different orbits. They are ‘fetishised’ at the global level (Beckett 1994); discursive mediators for the national imaginary (Lattas 1990; Hamilton 1990); and models for developing ‘indigenous selves’ (Mulcock 1997a).

[C.I. bold emphasis]

ConFest attendees wish to embody Aboriginal peoples, they wish to be a part of something that they perceive to be “primitive”, “primordial” and “down to earth”. They want to be “innocent”. They want body decorations, dot painting and “did healing” and fire walking. They want mud and meditation, “mother earth” and a “didj spirit”, ritual and resonance.

What they don’t want is beyond measure.

Go on, crank this one:

Andrea Smith on New Age movements and Survival

Some sanity from Andrea James:

These practices also promote the subordination of Indian women to white women. Many white “feminists” tell us how greedy we are when we don’t share our spirituality, and that we have to tell them everything they want to know because prophesies say we must. Apparently, it is our burden to service white women’s needs rather than to spend time organizing within our own communities.

The New Age movement completely trivializes the oppression that we, as Indian women face: that Indian women are forcibly sterilized and are tested with unsafe drugs such as Depo-Provera; that we have a life expectancy of forty seven years; that we generally live below poverty level and face a seventy-five percent unemployment rate. No, ignoring our realities, the New Age movement sees Indian women as cool and spiritual and therefore, available to teach white women to be cool and spiritual.

This trivialization of our oppression is compounded by the fact that, nowadays, anyone can be Indian if she wants to be. All that is required is that a white woman be Indian in a former life or that she take part in a sweat lodge or be mentored by a “medicine woman” or read a “how to” book.

Since, according to this theory, anyone can now be “Indian,” the term “Indian” no longer refers only to those groups of people who have survived five hundred years of colonization and genocide. This phenomenon furthers the goal of white supremists to abrogate treaty rights and to take away what little we have left by promoting the idea that some Indians need to have their land base protected, but even more Indians [those that are really white] have plenty of land. According to this logic, “Indians” as a whole do not need treaty rights. When everyone becomes “Indian” it is easy to lose sight of the specificity of oppression faced by those who are Indian in this life. It is no wonder we have such a difficult time getting non-Indians to support our struggles when the New Age movement has completely disguised our oppression.

A. Smith, ‘For All Those Who Were Indian in a former life’, in C. J. Adams (ed.), Ecofeminism and the sacred, New York, 1993
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 am

Cross-posted to the Economic Aspects of "Love" thread:

ASIAN POP

Exotic, Erotic Asia

The West's long fascination with sex from the East has evolved and stayed the same

by Vera H-C Chan, SF Gate

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... ernsex.DTL

The West has long been fascinated with Eastern sexuality. Throughout its encounters, it has struggled with these passions, from indulging them in secrecy and condemning them in public to embracing them openly.

Nowadays, sex appears to be everywhere, and much of it seems to be solicited from the East: The traveling exhibit "Geisha: Beyond the Painted Smile" wraps up its summer run Sept. 26 at the Asian Art Museum. An international dream team of actors, including Michelle Yeoh, Ken Watanabe and Zhang Ziyi, begins filming "Memoirs of a Geisha," seven years after the book camped out for nearly 50 weeks on The New York Times' best-seller list. The newly published "The Japanese Art of Sex: How to Tease, Seduce and Please the Samurai in Your Bedroom" made the independent booksellers' Book Sense pick list for September, and sent its author touring Borders Books & Music stores across America.

This manual, which recounts geisha and courtesan history and includes explicit tips such as collecting "female essence" in a sake cup, adds to a library of Eastern-oriented sex how-tos Americans have been building in the last decade: sexuality according to the Kama Sutra, Tibetan Buddhism, Chinese Taoism and Tantric philosophy (of which Sting has been a public proponent).

But as we've become more socially conscious and sexually open, we now demand sexual knowledge from authentic sources; we crave enlightenment with our titillation. More than wham-bam, we also want the spiritual package the East has seemingly been privy to for centuries.

Yet a Western history of intolerance and exoticization of the East has sometimes interfered with not only gathering the actual facts but also developing the cultural understanding needed for true sexual enlightenment. Asia, too, has been a complicit partner in feeding our fantasies by giving us sly peeks into its own practices and, when we don't understand but demand more, manufacturing new ones.

The shifting balance of power between West and East has helped strip away fantastic sexual visions and replace them with truer images. Still, even as we reach out, old perceptions pop up in new ways, from sexual stereotyping to sex-trade myths. A look at our intertwined pasts reveals how much our relationship has changed, and, simultaneously, how it's also stayed the same.

Asia versus the Orient

Twenty-five years ago, cultural historian Edward Said propounded a theory that the Orient is little more than a construct of what the West is not, what he described famously as the "Other." That mysterious, exotic world bundled together cultures as geographically distant and diverse as Turkey and Japan, but ancient glories made the Orient seem at once alluring and past its prime, especially compared to the rational virility of the New World.

In many ways, the East was perceived as the female counterpart to the masculine West, both an object to covet and a subject of conquest. Fantasy reflected itself in sumptuous erotic paintings such as John Singer Sargent's luscious harem-girl paintings, onstage with Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" and in ornate japonaiserie and chinoiserie in goods and architecture.

Yet, even back when Said laid out his argument, the West's perception of the East was evolving quickly. "Historically speaking, attitudes about Asian sexuality have changed quite a bit," says Amy Sueyoshi, an assistant professor of ethnic studies and human sexuality at San Francisco State University. "I think people are often short sighted, [viewing] stereotypes in the U.S. as being [the same] forever, which is not the case."

The Female East

In the West before World War II, the view of Asian women as beauties had been largely restricted to the Japanese -- likely a leftover from the 1700s, when Westerners visited Japan's government-regulated pleasure quarters. They depicted courtesans (prostitutes) and geisha ("persons of art" who provided musical and conversational entertainment) interchangeably in art, photographs and memoirs. Of course, some Japanese women contributed to the confusion, what with teahouse girls masquerading as geisha and real geisha having private affairs (often with married men, according to Liza Dalby, anthropologist and self-proclaimed first American geisha).

Fast forward to the 20th century: At home in the States, Chinese male immigrants, and, later, Japanese and Filipino ones, took on a "threatening sexuality" due to economic competition and overseas wars. At the same time, distant lifestyles once condemned as deviant became examples of diversity, an attitude change primed by anthropologists such as Margaret Mead. Her promotion of cultural relativism (all cultures, being equal, should be considered on their own merits) extended to detailing sexual freedoms in Samoa and New Guinea that shocked and beguiled 1930s America.

As Mead's ethnographies painted pictures of island girls engaging in premarital casual sex, foreign wars introduced everyday Americans to the Far East (and, later, Southeast Asia), and soldiers to hostesses, bar girls and prostitutes. This limited reality was echoed at home in films and books such as "South Pacific" (featuring island girls) and "The World of Suzie Wong" (focusing on a Hong Kong prostitute). Works like these also reflected the American missionary impulse to save these fallen women: Imagining them in need of rescue fit in nicely with the United States fashioning itself as a benevolent, racially diverse and nonimperialist nation.

As Washington, in its rush to becoming a world power, wooed noncommunist Asian nations as allies, "we can see that same logic operating in popular culture," says Christina Klein, author of "Cold War Orientalism: Asia in the Middlebrow Imagination, 1945-1961." Stories and images emphasized "this idea of integration," from nonfiction travel tales to media coverage on white Americans adopting Asian kids to creative works like James Michener's "Hawaii." American literature and cinema showed how the happy resolution of interracial romance -- overt in "South Pacific" and implied in "The King and I" -- depended on tolerance.

"The need to renounce racism ... becomes kind of a mainstream view in the 1940s and 1950s, which has foreign-policy implications," explains Klein, an assistant professor of literature at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. That notion peaked, pop-culture-wise, in the unprecedented all-Asian casting of "The Flower Drum Song," a tale of assimilation and romantic (and sexual) fulfillment: Besides rejecting yellowface, it displayed independent Asian women (albeit in the "How to Marry a Millionaire"/"Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" vein of the time).

Following wars in Korea and Vietnam and, later, financial competition with Japan, Hollywood returned to Asian villains ("Black Rain," "Rising Sun") and distressed damsels ("Red Corner," "Showdown in Little Tokyo"). At the same time, demographics and the cultural marketplace were changing. Ethnic studies and civil rights movements demanded that Asian Americans be taken seriously. The growing import of Asian culture offered a wider array of images -- sexual and otherwise -- from which to choose that catered to or confronted preconceptions.

Embracing the Geisha

Among the archetypes that have benefited in the United States is the misunderstood geisha. The witty conversationalist who once enjoyed near pop-star fame had a tarnished reputation in the New World. Notes the introduction to the program book for the Asian Art Museum's exhibit about geisha, "Their role as entertainers and artists has been largely misperceived through the lens of Western culture." Adds author Leslie Downer in one of the essays, "Westerners fantasized the geisha as everything their Western sisters were not: 'exotic,' seductive, soft, submissive and -- amazingly -- sexually available."

The geisha deserved -- and the times demanded -- a makeover. "It is a very current hot topic that has been looked at the last 15 or 20 years in terms of anthropology," says Emily Sano, executive director of the Asian Art Museum.

This time, instead of sneaking lascivious peeks, Americans tried out becoming geisha. Dalby dressed as novice geisha Ichiguku during her Stanford graduate studies in the 1970s. Arthur Golden ushered enthralled readers into the world of a 20th-century geisha in his 1997 best-seller "Memoirs of a Geisha." (He also prompted Mineko Iwasaki, his book's inspiration, to write a retaliatory autobiography after she accused him of introducing sex where it didn't belong.) Even Madonna, ever the arbiter of pop sex, had a geisha phase, in between mehndis and Kabbalah studies.

"Japanese Sex" author Jina Bacarr calls the allure "geisha power." Usually sold into the profession and dependent on patronage, geisha nevertheless enjoyed freedoms unavailable to other Japanese women.

The geisha, says Bacarr, "still was her own businesswoman. She had the power to choose lovers. Japanese women's power is not on the surface. Everything in Japan, it's very subtle."

The "Geisha" exhibit also probes that subtlety by emphasizing the training and artistry involved in the profession: American patrons who don't understand the complex interplay of sexuality can relate, at least, to the business side. All this complexity imbues the geisha with a sort of feminine power in our estimation. Moreover, by entering her world, we also get a glimmer of just what it feels like to be the object of Western attention.

Same Outlook, Different Century?

The willingness to try role reversals speaks to a better understanding between cultures. Still, old stereotypes do have a way of getting dolling up in new enlightenment. Packaging philosophy with sex became hot starting with the '60s counterculture, with ad hoc slogans of free love and investigations into Indian mysticism. What the West once judged to be loose, perverse and weak, the East now held to express ancient wisdom that would fill the void in their own lives: same fantasy, different angle.

"Personally, I think a lot of the New Age stuff is completely Orientalist," Christina Klein observes. The end result converted Westerners from conqueror to pupil, but it "valorizes the idea of the East as having all this great wisdom ... but it maintains that absolute difference between East and West."

Seeking out manuals and toys from other cultures is, says San Francisco sexologist Dr. Carol Queen, "an attempt for a culture who's hidebound but pretty fascinated by [sex]. It's a way to reinvigorate and make us think differently about the role of sexuality. What's problematic about that, a lot of the cultural context gets peeled away."

She cites "The Yin-Yang Butterfly: Ancient Chinese Sexual Secrets for Western Lovers," a 1993 book exploring how sex had long been an erotic science in China. It probed the relationship of passion, health and well being by observing the emperor at work and even figuring out the five separate depths of the vagina and the various sensations therein. Some Westerners get that sex in the East means more than copulation; other folks, though, pull out early in the culture talk and get details bizarrely wrong, to boot. Queen recalls a recent panel dealing with cultural and class issues of sex in which a Japanese American woman related how she had been asked whether Asian women have different genital configurations.

Queen blames a restrained American sex-education system for the demand on any sex book, whether focusing on the Japanese, ancient Romans or porn stars. Without repressive attitudes here and elsewhere in the world, she says, "we would have a real understanding, as opposed to this marketed understanding of what are the sexual differences and similarities between cultures. That lack of understanding really allows exoticization to flower."

Guilt for our past ignorance also drives some attempts to redress perceived wrongs, such as Southeast Asian sex trafficking. However, says Dr. David Feingold, who oversees trafficking projects for UNESCO's Bangkok office, "the reality of the industry is often quite different from what's written about, or people's fantasies."

His PBS 2003 documentary, "Trading Women," addresses the many myths that continue to prevail: that Thai prostitution resulted from the Vietnam War, when it had in fact existed as a state-controlled activity from the 1600s until recently; that heartless parents sell their girls into the sex trade (many go voluntarily to the big city to make money, and some get trafficked along the way); and that sex tourism thrives by serving foreigners, particularly Westerners, when, actually, the industry, which peaked in the '80s, is on the decline and trafficked girls don't normally solicit Westerners.

Feingold attributes Western willingness to take the blame partly from the "Suzie Wong fantasy": saving the bar girl with the heart of gold.

Though sexual trafficking is a serious problem, he says, the major forms of child abuse in Southeast Asian are forced begging, or working on fishing boats (where there's a high mortality rate). "There's much less interest in addressing those [other] issues," Feingold says. "People get more excited about sexual trafficking. It's much sexier."

The Next Generation

As irksome as some lingering perceptions might be, whether the East as the idealized fount of sexual wisdom or a place of enslavement, they're fading slowly. New possibilities, some direct from Asia, are pushing aside or revamping some old images.

In the Asian-male arena, Sueyoshi points out that the old-school genre of kung fu films featured an asexual martial arts master (such as the ascetic Shaolin monk). Now, however, Jackie Chan and Jet Li star in American films and get hooked up with leading ladies of all races. Even from the old school, the most potent international sexual image that persists is that of Bruce Lee. His iconic posture -- bare chested, muscular and indifferently bleeding -- cut across class and cultural lines and continues to dominate, Elvis-like, in everything from posters to museum exhibits.

And the next generation is taking it all in. "The kids of today don't have the baggage" of carrying the weight of stereotypes such as Charlie Chan or Suzie Wong, Jina Bacarr says. "Their conception of Japan [for instance] is more from manga and the Japanese pop image." In today's truly global world, American youth accept Yu-Gi-Oh and Sony PlayStations as their own and get pop culture from the source. They're absorbing different aspects of Asia -- its economic prowess and creative flow -- before sexual stereotypes can register.

"It's access to self-representation," Christina Klein says. "It's access to producing popular culture, rather than being a figure of popular culture. With technological changes, the diasporic aspects of globalization make it possible to see Asian stuff directly, rather than always see Asia through a constructed American lens."

And, if the West still resists, consider the shifts in power that pushed the release in America of Zhang Yimou's 2002 "Hero," which features potent and powerful images of stars Jet Li, Donnie Yen and Maggie Cheung. According to a New York Times story, Chinese officials reportedly pressured Miramax to give that country's box office record breaker a wide American release. The studio pleaded empty marketing coffers, but Disney, building a theme park in Hong Kong, coughed up the money. In its first weekend, the subtitled flick pulled in $18 million.

The biggest sign of an attitude shift, however, may be among Asian Americans. "The Flower Drum Song," embraced at the time of its premiere but condemned in the '70s for perceived derogatory images, enjoyed a revival: Besides David Henry Hwang's update, which just concluded its Bay Area premiere, the 2002 San Francisco International Asian Film Festival featured appearances by original cast members and a sing-along screening. Lucy Liu, accused of perpetuating the dragon-lady stereotype on "Ally McBeal," vamped alongside Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz in "Charlie's Angels" and drew no fire (except for contributing to a bad sequel). Recently, "The Guru," a sexually oriented coming-to-America comedy, did a wicked send-up of American fascination with Indian mystic sexuality, and, in another movie, two dudes named Harold and Kumar poked fun at images of Asian-male sexuality during a burger quest.

Whether these events signal growing comfort among Asians in their own images -- and sexuality -- in a West that's shedding its preconceptions remains up for debate. The good thing is, nowadays, we have more to talk about.

Vera H-C Chan traces her pop-culture fascination with Asian cinema
to her childhood weekends in Boston Chinatown theaters. A former
features reporter and events editor at The Contra Costa Times, she
covers pop culture, lifestyle, travel and business for various Bay
Area publications.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:55 am

Tryin' man, I'm tryin', lies and lies ain't buyin'
Where do I go, where do I go?
Tryin' yes, I'm strivin', lies and lies ain't buyin'
How does it go?

Walk to a time when minds was one
Came into creation as itself, mankind was born
Step into the eye of the storm, survive as pawn
Casualties of evil men, slidin' the blinders on

Lies will spawn, hey, are you conscious what side you're on?
Is the total story told or is it they hide you from?
Why are we, on the brink of murderin' more innocent?
Now we slide, we're patriotic and so militant

Get ya ride on, rise on, take a look
They done even takin' righteous laws, rewrote the books
To benefit the prize they got they eyes on
Minds run rampant, to be revealed when the proper time comes
Brain washers

How does it go?

Brain washers, it's when you think how they wanna think
Speak, how they wanna speak, livin' in defeat
When you don't wanna question what they teach, as the truth
With no proof, with the fear of burnin' in eternal heat

When your programmed not to be your own man, but a sheep
Bein' heard as they word it, so you think it ain't free
When you sleep in a deep sleep, standin' on your feet
When your beat makin' ends meat, raw, thin and they see

Now your labeled obsolete, workin' for relief
In the heat on bare feet, smile, showin' off your teeth
Good grief, it's a [Incomprehensible] how they work it
And they jerk it, while they surf, plus the surf keeps
The [Incomprehensible] underneath the brain washers

How does it go?

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm

THE FALSE MEMORY HOAX

by Alex Constantine

I. CIA Connections to the Mind Control Cults

Within hours, 27 other members of the Sovereign Order of the Solar Temple were found dead at chalets in Granges, Switzerland and Morin Heights, Quebec. Luc Jouret, the Temple's grand master, the London Times reported, "espoused a hybrid religion that owed more to Umberto Eco's novel Foucault's Pendulum than to any bible. His followers called themselves 'knights of Christ.' The crusading codes of the Knights Templar, the rose-and-cross symbolism of the medieval Rosicrucian Order, Nazi occultism and new age mysticism were joined together into a mumbo- jumbo mishmash that seemed more designed for extracting money from disciples than saving souls."

Jouret, born in the Belgian Congo in 1947, set out in youth as a mystic with communist leanings, but his politics apparently swung full circle. He has since been linked to a clutch of neo-Nazis responsible for a string of bombings in Canada. He told friends that he had once served with a unit of Belgium paratroopers.

French-Canadian journalist Pierre Tourangeau investigated the sect for two years. A few days after the mass murder, he reported that the sect was financed by the proceeds of gun-running to Europe and South America. Simultaneously, Radio Canada announced that Jouret's Templars earned hundreds of millions of dollars laundering the profits through the infamous Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI), closed by authorities worldwide in 1991. Montreal's La Presse observed: "each new piece of information only thickens the mystery" - but the combination of international arms smuggling and BCCI presented a familiar enough picture of CIA sedition. The Manhattan D.A. who closed the American branch announced that 16 witnesses had died in the course of investigating the bank's entanglements in covert operations of the CIA, arms smuggling to Iraq, money laundering and child prostitution.

The average coffee table would crumple under the weighty BCCI Book of the Dead. Journalist Danny Cassalaro and Vince Foster appear in it - grim antecedents to the Solar Temple killings. The cult's connection to BCCI (reported in Europe but filtered from American newspaper accounts) fed speculation among Canadian journalists that followers of Jouret were killed to bury public disclosures of gun-running and money laundering.

But the fraternizing of America's national security elite and the cults did not begin in Cheiry, Switzerland. Jouret's Order of the Solar Temple was but the latest incarnation of mind control operations organized and overseen by the CIA and Department of Defense.

In a sense, we are in the same ethical and moral dilemma as the physicists in the days prior to the Manhattan Project. Those of us who work in this field see a developing potential for a nearly total control of human emotional status.

- Dr. Wayne Evans
U.S. Army Institute of Environmental Medicine, 1978

Scientists in the CIA's mind control fraternity lead double lives. Many are highly respected, but if the truth were known they would be deafened by the public outcry and drummed out of their respective academic haunts.

Martin T. Orne, for example, a senior CIA/Navy researcher, is based at the University of Pennsylvania's Experimental Psychiatry Laboratory. He is also an original member of the False Memory Syndrome Foundation's advisory board, a tightly-drawn coterie of psychiatrists, many with backgrounds in CIA mind control experimentation in its myriad forms. The Foundation is dedicated to denying the existence of cult mind control and child abuse. It's primary pursuit is the castigation of survivors and therapists for fabricating accusations of ritual abuse.

Dismissing cult abuse as hysteria or false memory, a common defense strategy, may relieve parents of preschool children. In a small percentage of cult abuse cases it's possible that children may be led to believe they've been victimized.

But the CIA and its cover organizations have a vested interest in blowing smoke at the cult underground because the worlds of CIA mind control and many cults merge inextricably. The drum beat of "false accusations" from the media is taken up by paid operatives like Dr. Orne and the False Memory Syndrome Foundation to conceal the crimes of the Agency.

Orne's forays into hypno-programming were financed in the 1960s by the Human Ecology Fund, a CIA cover at Cornell University and the underwriter of many of the formative mind control experiments conducted in the U.S. and abroad, including the gruesome brainwashing and remote mind control experiments of D. Ewen Cameron at Montreal's Allen Memorial Institute. Research specialties of the CIA's black psychiatrists included electroshock lobotomies, drugging agents, incapacitants, hypnosis, sleep deprivation and radio control of the brain, among hundreds of sub- projects.

The secondary source of funding for Dr. Orne's work in hypnotic suggestion and dissolution of memory is eerie in the cult child abuse context. The voluminous files of John Marks in Washington, D.C. (139 boxes obtained under FOIA, to be exact, two-fifths of which document CIA interest in the occult) include an Agency report itemizing a $30,000 grant to Orne from Human Ecology, and another $30,000 from Boston's Scientific Engineering Institute (SEI) - another CIA funding cover, founded by Edwin Land of the Polaroid Corporation (and supervision of the U-2 spy plane escapades). This was the year that the CIA's Office of Research and Development (ORD) geared up a study of parapsychology and the occult. The investigation, dubbed Project OFTEN-CHICKWIT, gave rise to the establishment of a social "laboratory" by SEI scientists at the University of South Carolina - a college class in black witchcraft, demonology and voodoo.

Dr. Orne, with SEI funding, marked out his own mind control corner at the University of Pennsylvania in the early 1960s. He does not publicize his role as CIA psychiatrist. He denies it, very plausibly. In a letter to Dr. Orne, Marks once reminded him that he'd disavowed knowledge of his participation in one mind-wrecking experimental sub-project. Orne later recanted, admitting that he'd been aware of the true source of funding all along.

Among psychiatrists in the CIA's mind control fraternity, Orne ranks among the most venerable. He once boasted to Marks that he was routinely briefed on all significant CIA behavior modification experiments: "Why would they come to him," Martin Cannon muses in The Controllers, which links UFO abductions to secret military research veiled by screen memories of "alien" abduction, "unless Orne had a high security clearance and worked extensively with the intelligence services?"

To supplement his CIA income, the influential Dr. Orne has been the donee of grants from the Office of Naval Research and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research. "I should like to hear," Cannon says, "what innocent explanation, if any, the Air Force has to offer to explain their interest in post-hypnotic amnesia."

According to Army records, Orne's stomping grounds, Penn U., was a bee-hive of secret experiments in the Vietnam War period. The Pentagon and CIA - under the auspices of ORD's Steve Aldrich, a doyen of occult and parapsychological studies - conferred the Agency's most lucrative research award upon the University of Pennsylvania to study the effects of 16 newly- oncocted biochemical warfare agents on humans, including choking, blistering and vomiting agents, toxins, poison gas and incapacitating chemicals. The tests were abruptly halted in 1972 when the prison's medical lab burned to the ground.

Testimony before the 1977 Church Committee's probe of the CIA hinted that, as of 1963, the scientific squalor of the CIA's mind control regimen, code-named MKULTRA, had abandoned military and academic laboratories, fearing exposure, and mushroomed in cities across the country. Confirmation arrived in 1980 when Joseph Holsinger, an aide to late Congressman Leo Ryan (who was murdered by a death squad at Jonestown) exposed the formation of eccentric religious cults by the CIA. Holsinger made the allegation at a colloquium of psychologists in San Francisco on "Psychosocial Implications of the Jonestown Phenomenon." Holsinger maintained that a CIA rear- support base had been in collusion with Jones to perform medical and mind control experiments at People's Temple. The former Congressional aide cited an essay he'd received in the mail, "The Penal Colony," written by a Berkeley psychologist. The author had emphasized: Rather than terminating MKULTRA, the CIA shifted its programs from public institutions to private cult groups, including the People's Temple.

Jonestown had its grey eminence in Dr. Lawrence Laird Layton of the University of California at Berkeley, formerly a chemist for the Manhattan Project and head of the Army's chemical warfare research division in the early 1950s. (Larry Layton, his son, led the death squad that murdered Congressman Leo Ryan, who'd arrived at Guyana to investigate the cult.) Michael Meiers, author of Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment?, scavenged for information on the People's Temple for six years, concluding: "The Jonestown experiment was conceived by Dr. Layton, staffed by Dr. Layton and financed by Dr. Layton. It was as much his project as it was Jim Jones'. Though it was essential for him to remain in the background for security reasons, Dr. Layton maintained contact with and even control of the experiment through his wife and children." The African-American cult had at its core a Caucasian inner-council, composed of Dr. Layton's family and in-laws.

The press was blind to obvious CIA connections, but survivors of the carnage in Guyana followed the leads and maintained that Jim Jones was "an employee, servant, agent or operative of the Central Intelligence Agency" from 1963 - the year the Agency turned to cult cut-outs to conceal MKULTRA mind control activities - until 1978. In October 1981 the survivors of Jonestown filed a $63 million lawsuit against Secretary of State Cyrus Vance and Stansfield Turner, former director of the CIA, currently a teacher at the University of Maryland and a director of the Monsanto Corporation. The suit, filed in U.S. district court in San Francisco, accused Turner of conspiring with Agency operatives to "enhance the economic and political powers of James Warren Jones," and of conducting "mind control and drug experimentation" on the Temple flock.

The suit was dismissed four months later for "failure to prosecute timely." All requests for an appeal were denied.

Ligatures of the CIA clung to the cults. Much of the violence that has since exploded across the front pages was incited by CIA academics at leading universities.

Small wonder, then, that Ted Goertzel, director of the Forum for Policy Research at Rutgers, which maintains a symbiosis with the CIA despite media exposure, should write that the most susceptible victims of "cryptomnesia" (a synonym for false memories) believe "in conspiracies, including the JFK assassination, AIDS conspiracies, as well as the UFO cover-up." The problem, Goertzel says, "may have its origins in early childhood," and is accompanied by "feelings of anomie and anxiety that make the individual more likely to construct false memories out of information stored in the unconscious mind."

This side of gilded rationalizations, the CIA's links to the cults are no manifestation of "cryptomnesia."

Like Jonestown, the Symbionese Liberation Army was a mind control creation unleashed by the Agency. The late political researcher Mae Brussell, whose study of The Firm commenced in 1963 after the assassination of John Kennedy, wrote in 1974 that the rabid guerrilla band "consisted predominantly of CIA agents and police informers." This unsavory group was, Brussell insisted, "an extension of psychological experimentation projects, connected to Stanford Research Institute, Menlo Park." (She went on to lament that "many of the current rash of 'senseless killings,' 'massacres,' and 'zombie-type murders' are committed by individuals who have been in Army hospitals, mental hospitals or prison hospitals, where their heads have been literally taken over surgically to create terror in the community.")

Evidence that the CIA conceived and directed the SLA was obvious. The SLA leadership was trained by Colston Westbrook, a Pennsylvania native. Westbrook was a veteran of the CIA's murderous PHOENIX Program in South Vietnam, where he trained terrorist cadres and death squads. In 1969 he took a job as an administrator of Pacific Architects and Engineers, a CIA proprietary in Southern California. Three of Westbrook's foot soldiers, Emily and William Harris and Angela Atwood (a former police intelligence informer), had been students of the College of Foreign Affairs, a CIA cover at the University of Indiana. Even the SLA symbol, a seven-headed cobra, had been adopted by the OSS (America's wartime intelligence agency) and CIA to designate precepts of brainwashing.

When the smoke cleared at SLA headquarters in L.A., Dr. Martin Orne was called upon to examine Patricia Hearst in preparation for trial. The government charged that she had participated voluntarily in the SLA's gun-toting crime spree. Orne's was a foregone conclusion - he sided with the government. His opinion was shared by two other psychiatrists called to appraise Ms. Hearst's state of mind, Robert Jay Lifton and Louis Jolyon West. Dr. Lifton was a co-founder of the aforementioned Human Ecology Fund. The CIA contractor that showered Orne with research grants in the 1960s. Dr. West is one of the CIA's most notorious mind control specialists, currently director of UCLA's Neuropsychiatric Institute. It was West who brought a score of mind control psychiatrists of the ultra-right political stripe to the UCLA campus.

Drs. Orne, Lifton and West unanimously agreed that Patty Hearst had been "persuasively coerced" to join the SLA. She had been put through a grueling thought reform regimen. She'd been isolated and sensory deprived, raped, humiliated, badgered, politically indoctrinated with a surrealistic mutation of Third World Marxism. Ms. Hearst was only allowed human companionship when she exhibited signs of submission. Orne and his colleagues assured that attention was narrowed to their psychologizing, conveniently rendering evidence of CIA collusion extraneous to consideration by the jury.

Another psychiatrist called to testify at the trial of "Tania" surfaced with Dr. Orne in 1991 on the board of the False Memory Syndrome Foundation. (The FMSF board is almost exclusively composed of former CIA and military doctors currently employed by major universities. None have backgrounds in ritual abuse - their common interest is behavior modification. Dr. Margaret Singer, a retired Berkeley Ph.D., studied repatriated prisoners-of-war returning from the Korean War at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Maryland (1952-58).

Singer turned up in 1982 on the book jacket of Raven - the CIA's code-name for Jim Jones - by San Francisco Examiner reporters Tim Reiterman and John Jacobs, a thoroughly-researched account of the People's Temple that completely side-steps CIA involvement. Co-author John Jacobs was supposedly one of the country's leading authorities on CIA mind control, a subject he studied at length for a series published by the Washington Post. Reiterman had been the Examiner reporter on the Patricia Hearst beat. Yet both writers managed to avoid obvious intelligence connections. Dr. Singer commended the book as "the definitive psychohistory of Jim Jones." Raven, she opined, conveyed "the essence of psychological and social processes that Jim Jones, the ultimate manipulator, set in motion." The true "manipulators," of course, were operatives of the CIA, and the public disinformation gambit lauded by Dr. Singer was, according to Meiers, in tune with "a concerted attempt to suppress information, stifle investigations, censor writers and manipulate public information."

The CIA and Pentagon have quietly organized and influenced a long line of mind control cults, among them:

The Riverside Lodge of the Ordo Templis Orientis: Also known as The Solar Lodge of the OTO, which followed the teachings of cult messiah Aleister Crowley, whose fixed gaze on the astral equinox resulted in instructions from his deities to form a religious order. Crowley, high priest of the OTO and a British intelligence agent, gave Winifred T. Smith a charter to open an OTO lodge in Pasadena. The high priest of the lodge was Jack Parsons, a rocket expert and founder of the California Institute of Technology. Parsons, who took the oath of the anti-Christ in 1949, contributed to the design of the Pentagon under subsequent CIA director John J. McCloy. He was killed in a still unexplained laboratory explosion. There is a crater on the moon named after him.

The OTO's Solar Lodge in San Bernardino was presided over by Georgina "Jean" Brayton, the daughter of a ranking Air Force officer in the 1960s. The cult subscribed to a grim, apocalyptic view of the world, and like Charles Manson believed that race wars would precipitate the Big Cataclysm. In the Faustian Los Angeles underworld, the lodge was known for its indulgence in sadomasochism, drug dealing, blood drinking, child molestation and murder.

Candace Reos, a former member of the lodge, was deposed by Riverside police in 1969. Reos said that Brayton controlled the thinking of all cult members. One poor soul, she said, was ordered to curb his sexual urges by cutting his wrists every time he was aroused. Mrs. Reos told police, according to the report, that when she became pregnant, Georgina was angry and told her that she would have to condition herself to hate her child. Reos told police that children of the cult's 43 adult members were secluded from their parents and received "training" that took on "very severe tones."

"There was a lot of spanking involved," she said, "a lot of heavy criticism. There was a lot of enclosed in dark rooms." The teachers, she added. "left welts."

If so ordered, adult cultists would beat their children.

According to a Riverside County Sheriff's report, a six year-old child burned the group's school house to the ground. The boy was punished by solitary confinement in a locked shipping crate left in the desert, where the average temperature was 110 degrees, for two months. The boy was chained to a metal plate.

When police freed him, they were nauseated by the suffocating stench of excrement. The child was smothered in flies swarming from a tin-can toilet.

The Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh Movement: In 1985 the Portland Oregonian published a 36-part, book-length series linking the cult to opium trafficking, prostitution, money laundering, arson, slave labor, mass poisonings, illegal wiretaps and the stockpiling of guns and biochemical warfare weapons. The year-long Oregonian investigation revealed cult ties to CIA-trained mercenaries in El Salvador and the Far East. Domestically, Rajneesh's secret police force worked with Agency operatives.

Finders: On February 7, 1987 Customs agents raided a child-porn ring in Tallahasee, Florida. Eight suspects and six children were taken into custody. The children, according to a Customs Department memo, behaved "like animals in a public park," and "were not aware of the function and purpose of telephones, televisions and toilets."

The children told police that they were forced to live outdoors and were given food only as a reward. A check on the backgrounds of the adults turned up a police report, "specific in describing 'bloody rituals' and sex orgies involving children, and an as-yet unsolved murder."

Customs agents searched a cult safe house and discovered a computer room and documents recording "high-tech" bank transfers, explosives, and a set of instructions advising cult members on moving children through jurisdictions around the country. One photographic album found in the house featured the execution and disembowelment of goats, and snapshots, according to a Customs report, of "adults and children dressed in white sheets participating in a bloody ritual."

An American passport was found. The investigating agents contacted the State Department and were advised to "terminate further investigation."

They investigated anyway, reporting that "the CIA made contact and admitted to owning the Finders ... as a front for a domestic training organization, but that it had 'gone bad.'" The late wife of Marion David Pettie, the cult's leader, had worked for the Agency, and his son had been an employee of Air America, the heroin-riddled CIA proprietary. Yet Pettie denied to a reporter for U.S. News & World Report any connection to the Firm. Police in Washington refused to comment. Officials of the CIA dismissed as "hogwash" allegations of any connection to the Finders cult.

Continues at: http://www.american-buddha.com/falsememoryhoax.htm
American Dream

Postby undead » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey AD,

Really great thread - I wish I had time to read it all. I wanted to comment on the "Psychedelic Orientalism" paper. The colonial mindset is definitely huge in white psychedelic culture - just look at Daniel Pinchbeck. He is the best example of what the author is talking about. But the author is clearly in the dark about the reality of the psychedelic experience as well as the communities and overall movement of people who are involved in psychedelic substance.

Peyote use by non-Indians participates both materially and ideologically in the dispossession of Native North Americans.

This is a really counterproductive attitude that will undoubtedly surface in the minds of countless "progressives", academics, and leftists who are too conservative to understand the benefit (and necessity) of psychedelics. First, just as it is morally indefensible for pharmaceutical companies to patent these plants and chemicals, it is likewise indefensible to claim that they should be reserved for any one ethnic or cultural group. All human beings share a common bond with mind altering plants at some point in their ancestry, and there is no reason why white people in general should not partake.

The identification with colonized cultures comes from the fact that the psychedelic experience is more obfuscated and exterminated in western culture than it is in any other. White people have no reference point because the history of their ancestors' use of these substances has been erased, so they are forced to look to other cultures to explain and understand their experience. While it may seem arrogant for a white person to claim to see the truth of the Asian religions by using psychedelic substances, they could hardly do worse than the Buddhist theocracies or Hindu fundamentalists that oppress their respective populations.

Furthermore, there is ample evidence that all of these religions originated with the use of psychedelic plants. Granted that a genuine spiritual experience is by no means guaranteed for anyone taking a psychedelic, it is certainly possible. It still requires all of the traditional practices to attain, but the catalyst allows one to see the reality of the end goal, which is often lost to those who follow the religion out of blind faith. In this case I think that the authors simply dismiss the notion of plant-generated religions out of hand, which is a big mistake.

One particularly competent researcher of this subject is Jan Irving (gnosticmedia.com) who has taken it upon himself to revive the work of John Marco Allegro, the man who proposed and advocated the theory that Christianity was originally based on the ritual use of mushrooms after being allowed to examine the Dead Sea Scrolls when they were discovered. Allegro was the only person allowed to read them who was not an ordained Catholic priest. As a result of taking this position he was professionally ruined and died in obscurity. Jan Irving is an exceptional independent thinker, not employed by a university as far as I know, and when it comes to this subject (as with many other taboo subjects) mainstream academics are basically useless.

When it comes to the appropriation of native American cultures in a psychedelic setting, I agree that it is a huge problem, but that does not negate the benefit or necessity of psychedelic use in modern white society. The notion that white people should not take psychedelics prevents the formation of a coherent modern context for the experience and perpetuates all of the very negative phenomena associate with their use and abuse.

Yes psychedelics should not be abused, and white people should not appropriate native cultures. You will notice, however, that out of all of the fake new age appropriation that goes on very few of these instances actually involve ingestion of psychedelic substances. I have never experienced peyote myself, but I know many people who have, and it is my understanding that it is very easy for white people to participate in native peyote ceremonies as long as they approach it with the appropriate attitude, and know where to meet the right people.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby American Dream » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 pm

undead wrote:Hey AD,

Really great thread - I wish I had time to read it all. I wanted to comment on the "Psychedelic Orientalism" paper. The colonial mindset is definitely huge in white psychedelic culture - just look at Daniel Pinchbeck. He is the best example of what the author is talking about. But the author is clearly in the dark about the reality of the psychedelic experience as well as the communities and overall movement of people who are involved in psychedelic substance.

Peyote use by non-Indians participates both materially and ideologically in the dispossession of Native North Americans.

This is a really counterproductive attitude that will undoubtedly surface in the minds of countless "progressives", academics, and leftists who are too conservative to understand the benefit (and necessity) of psychedelics. First, just as it is morally indefensible for pharmaceutical companies to patent these plants and chemicals, it is likewise indefensible to claim that they should be reserved for any one ethnic or cultural group. All human beings share a common bond with mind altering plants at some point in their ancestry, and there is no reason why white people in general should not partake.

The identification with colonized cultures comes from the fact that the psychedelic experience is more obfuscated and exterminated in western culture than it is in any other. White people have no reference point because the history of their ancestors' use of these substances has been erased, so they are forced to look to other cultures to explain and understand their experience. While it may seem arrogant for a white person to claim to see the truth of the Asian religions by using psychedelic substances, they could hardly do worse than the Buddhist theocracies or Hindu fundamentalists that oppress their respective populations.

Furthermore, there is ample evidence that all of these religions originated with the use of psychedelic plants. Granted that a genuine spiritual experience is by no means guaranteed for anyone taking a psychedelic, it is certainly possible. It still requires all of the traditional practices to attain, but the catalyst allows one to see the reality of the end goal, which is often lost to those who follow the religion out of blind faith. In this case I think that the authors simply dismiss the notion of plant-generated religions out of hand, which is a big mistake.

One particularly competent researcher of this subject is Jan Irving (gnosticmedia.com) who has taken it upon himself to revive the work of John Marco Allegro, the man who proposed and advocated the theory that Christianity was originally based on the ritual use of mushrooms after being allowed to examine the Dead Sea Scrolls when they were discovered. Allegro was the only person allowed to read them who was not an ordained Catholic priest. As a result of taking this position he was professionally ruined and died in obscurity. Jan Irving is an exceptional independent thinker, not employed by a university as far as I know, and when it comes to this subject (as with many other taboo subjects) mainstream academics are basically useless.

When it comes to the appropriation of native American cultures in a psychedelic setting, I agree that it is a huge problem, but that does not negate the benefit or necessity of psychedelic use in modern white society. The notion that white people should not take psychedelics prevents the formation of a coherent modern context for the experience and perpetuates all of the very negative phenomena associate with their use and abuse.

Yes psychedelics should not be abused, and white people should not appropriate native cultures. You will notice, however, that out of all of the fake new age appropriation that goes on very few of these instances actually involve ingestion of psychedelic substances. I have never experienced peyote myself, but I know many people who have, and it is my understanding that it is very easy for white people to participate in native peyote ceremonies as long as they approach it with the appropriate attitude, and know where to meet the right people.

Hi, undead-

Your points are very well-taken.

Hordes of Anglos invading the desert to decimate the peyote fields is one thing- respectful involvement in native spirituality is another.

The author's broad, broad brush strokes really puzzled me here- I think he made a lot of other points that were much more on target...

Last edited by American Dream on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:30 am

September 22, 2003

INDIGO:THE COLOR OF MONEY

by Lorie Anderson

Many are excited about the upcoming New Age movie, "Indigo," written, produced, and directed by three renowned individuals who now live in Ashland - James Twyman, Neale Donald Walsch, and Stephen Simon. Appealing are the career opportunities, the camaraderie of movie-making, the promoting of spirituality and messages of peace and love. Promoters say it will stimulate the local economy and help our schools. But after examining the Indigo Child movement, and specifically the activities of co-writer/producer James Twyman, I see potential consequences for the community -- and for children.

INDIGO CHILDREN

The Indigo Child concept was first popularized by the book, "The Indigo Children," written by the husband and wife team Lee Carroll and Jan Tober. Carroll also portrays himself as a channeler for "Kryon," a spiritual entity who predicted the coming of the Indigo Children - will wonders never cease?

The authors say that "the Indigo Child is a boy or girl who displays a new and unusual set of psychological attributes, revealing a pattern of behavior generally undocumented before." For example, they act like royalty, have difficulty with absolute authority unless given choices or explanations, are easily frustrated (e.g. when waiting in line), are not shy, have difficulty with guilt-based discipline, are non-conformist, may seem antisocial and prefer to be with their own kind, and may have social difficulties in school. I, for one, see nothing new, unusual, or unheard-of here.

The Indigo Child concept may appeal especially to parents of children with mental health challenges, e.g. ADD, ADHD, autism, bi-polar disorder, conduct disorder, or a difficult temperament. Proponents target these label- and medication-wary parents. So, what is the harm in giving parents a positive spin on their children for a change -- like Indigo?

Besides parents possibly foregoing beneficial, if not life-saving, treatment for children with mental or neurological disorders, some proponents of the Indigo movement infuse children with a false sense of human superiority and a bizarre paranormal identity. Mutilating science while claiming scientific proof, children are led to believe by trusted adults that they were born members of a new breed of the human race, the next step in human evolution, that their genes were somehow altered -- perhaps as a result of divine or extraterrestrial intervention, or spontaneous genetic mutation accomplished by non other than the children themselves. Some children come to believe they are endowed with extraordinary powers such as clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, healing powers, pre-birth and previous life recall, etc. Tober and Carroll tell us that Indigo Children don’t fit in and feel uncomfortable when not with other Indigos. Small wonder!

Similar to the Indigo Child model, you may hear about The New Children, The Masters, Ascending Children, Star Children, Crystal or Chrystalline Children, Metagifted Children, Millennium Children, Children of the New Dream, Children of the New Times, Children of Aids (genetically altered child beings who are purportedly immune to all disease), and Super Psychic Children. Someone even wrote online about the "evil counterparts," the "End-Times Children." (I suspect it's just a matter of time before this logical progression of the ill-conceived supernatural child postulate takes on a life of its own.) James Twyman seems to prefer the terms Children of Oz or Psychic Children; and as of 10/2003, "The Mystic Children;" and as of around 1/2006, "The New Children."

NOT JUST ABOUT PEACE AND LOVE

Twyman, and other Indigo Child proponents, may try to shift our focus to the children’s message and mission of peace and love, but Twyman, for one, readily capitalizes on his own and children's purported paranormal abilities.

Twyman sells books and Internet course based on the Psychic Children. He holds pricey Psychic Children conferences, camps, and fairs, charging about $300 for adults for the main conference. He offers an Internet course on telekinetic spoon-bending. He purportedly conversed with Jesus ("Jeshua") who revealed to Twyman through a "Divine Partnership" the "secrets of Heaven and Earth," which Twyman turned into an Internet course for required donations -- with a suggested retail value of $150.

He purports to have frequently "conversed" telepathically from abroad with a Psychic Child he calls Thomas from Bulgaria, and other Psychic Children - providing more content for books and Internet courses. A "secret society" of spiritual masters called "emissaries of light" purportedly revealed themselves in the flesh to Twyman in Bosnia (before they disbanded) -- more content for courses and books.

He doesn't always make a distinction in his writings between his purported mystical interactions and actual, in-the-flesh interactions. When confronted with suspected and admitted misrepresentations, he conveys that he would rather we focus on the truth of his messages than the truth of his experiences - and this seems to satisfy many people, but for others honesty is a prerequisite for credibility.

In response to a question posed by a New Age organization, NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE) , for an investigative report on Twyman in 1999, Twyman wrote reassuringly: "…as I have been telling those who inquire, Emissary of Light is not an organization, and I am not a guru. I am not asking for donations, and I do not seek either fame or adoration. This is not about me. It is about peace."

Well, certainly Twyman has asked for and collected a wealth of donations (sometimes with a required minimum donation and collected using guilt-pressure) and fees. He says that his organization, The Beloved Community, is now a "registered church organization." He purchased 42 acres of property in the local area, (for which he solicited donations to buy), for psychic children retreats, to start a Emissary of Light type of monastery, and to house workshops for his new "Seminary of Spiritual Peacemaking." He recently announced a five-year goal of 50 churches worldwide. After graduating from the seminary, Twyman suggests graduates can work with the Indigo and Psychic Children.

I believe adults are responsible for deciding what to believe, but as paranormal claims are key to Twyman's growing popularity, and income, and as he targets minors around the world, I think we owe it to the Children of Oz to pull the curtain on the wizard by scrutinizing his claims.

MISLEADING REPORTS OF SCIENTIFIC PROOF

Twyman reports scientific proof of several spurious claims, including that children develop ESP at his fairs after Brain Respiration (BR) training. BR was created by Ilchi Lee, aka Seung Heun Lee, founder of Dahn Centers and many other organizations. (Lee and Walsch are also affiliated). Twyman and Lee have reported that the University of California at Irvine, specifically the Center for Aging and Dementia, has researched and "confirmed" the effects of BR. However, this department at UCI tells me they have not conducted any studies on Lee's BR program, per se -- let alone confirmed its paranormal claims.

OILY-SKINNED PSYCHIC CHILDREN

At Twyman's psychic fairs for children, kids are persuaded to believe that sticking a lightweight spoon to their forehead is a result of psychokinetic power. The fact is that everyone can stick a lightweight spoon to their forehead if they first rub the spoon on their skin, especially the forehead and chin, coating the spoon with slightly sticky sebum.

X-RAY VISION

At Twyman's psychic children's fairs, parents paid for their kids' ESP powers to be tested (charging subjects is almost unheard-of in scientific research) before and after participation in Ilchi Lee's Brain Respiration training. The children were asked to identify certain shapes, colors, or simple words while blindfolded. Lee shows a video at his website of blindfolded children reading books held close to the face. But, the blindfolds were provided and the tests conducted by the program's staff. Naturally, Twyman and Lee report amazing results.

Magicians and paranormal investigators have continually exposed "x-ray vision" as flimflammery, e.g. perhaps the blindfolded person can see through a space between the blindfold and the nose, a pinhole in the blindfold, cloth that appears opaque but is translucent when held close to the face, or verbal cues are provided by testers or shills. Sometimes it’s a matter of working with probabilities. For example, when asked to pick a number between one and ten, the number seven is picked most often.

Continues at: http://www.selectsmart.com/twyman.html
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 am

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm

More on the "Brain Respiration" cult referred in the Indigo Child article above:

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:47 am

http://www.stardrive.org/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=56

SARFATTI’S ILLUMINATI: IN THE THICK OF IT!
By Jack Sarfatti

Update from Jan. 29, 1996

Jim Garrison and Tom Jenkins from Gorbachev Foundation hosted a fun-filled birthday party for Nina Kucharev on this past Saturday night on the third floor of my office at 3220 Sacramento Street in San Francisco. Tom Jenkins is a former physicist who arranges much of the logistics for Jim Garrison, such as Boris Yeltsin's visit to the USA before he became President of Russia. Tom and I had an interesting conversation in which we both noted the amazing patterns of synchronicity linking physicists interested in consciousness, extra-terrestrial intelligence, remote-viewing and other fringe areas with the pivotal events that ended the Cold War. Danny Sheehan, who also visits our office, was co-founder with Garrison, of the now defunct Christic Institute, a casualty of the Iran-Contra operation. Sheehan, has had childhood "close encounter experiences" analogous to the one I reported in "The Parsifal Effect". Evidently, it might appear that Dan Sheehan, was also part of the "400" contactees mentioned to me on the phone in 1952 by the alleged "conscious computer" on the spacecraft from the future. Harvard Professor John Mack, influential in the Esalen-Soviet Exchange Program, and under fire from Harvard for his bold study of UFO abductees, is also, it might appear, part of the "400".

Curiously, my writings influenced, in a sort of Forrest Gump way, forces on the opposing side to Garrison and Sheehan. Now we are all partying together like Tim Leary and Gordon Liddy appearing on the same stage in their intellectual vaudeville act. It is as if Umberto Ecco's Foucault's Pendulum has passed from fiction to fact in this latest version of Balzac's Human Comedy orchestrated by John Lilly's "Cosmic Coincidence Control" from the future. This is more than the random "Butterfly Effect" of classical chaos theory. It suggests Fred Hoyle's idea that the initial quantum fluctuation amplified by classical chaos is intelligently manipulated and shaped by advanced starwaves from the future. Indeed, Tom's role with the Gorbachev-Yeltsin circles paralled mine with the Reagan Adiminstration via Lawry Chickering's Institute for Contemporary Studies and the second channel of influence opened by Cap Weinberger's son.

Michael and Dulce Murphy came to the party and I was impressed with Michael's description to me of Dulce's recent efforts to narrow the growing rift between Russian and US foreign policy by catalysing communication and dialogue between the future leaders of both countries. Michael is the author of The End To Ordinary History which covers some events similar to those described here. As Jim Garrison accurately said, stabilizing Russia today is not as "sexy" as it was a few years ago and, as Michael Murphy pointed out "Russia still has 20,000 nuclear warheads." The influence of former KGB in the new Russian Mafia is of course a major fact to be reckoned with.

Update from Sept 25, 1995 San Francisco Chronicle pp A 15-17.

By Edward Epstein

... Gorbachev Foundation USA has organized the "State of the World Forum" ... a five year process of consultation that will meet annually until the year 2000 ... About 500 people are expected to attend .... these will include ... Milton Friedman, ... David Packard and Ted Turner... Jane Fonda... Jane Goodall,... Carl Sagan ... princes from Saudi Arabia ... Deepak Chopra.... Gorbachev will be joined by ... George Bush .... Margaret Thatcher ... "Gorbachev believes we are giving birth to a new global civilization ," said Jim Garrison, executive director of the Gorbachev Foundation which occupies waterfront offices in San Francisco's Presidio.

Leaders of mainline Western religions or philosophies are mostly absent from the speaker's lineup, while unorthodox describes many on the list. These include ... Willis Harman, President of the Institute of Noetic Sciences ... he conducted experiments on the effects of psychedelic drugs on human creativity.... Jerry Mander, now an anti-technology author ....

It was the night before the first Birkbeck test of Uri Geller. Brendan was visibly nervous. He asked me to go with him to see the Soviet science fiction film Solaris. Brendan had mentioned that Olaf Stapeldon's science fiction story Star Maker, about a time traveling super-intelligence, was based upon real experiences that a high member of British Intelligence [1] had in the nineteen thirties. The big day arrived. Arthur C. Clarke [2] was there with a high official from Rolls Royce. Arthur Koestler [3] was also there along with John Hasted [4], David Bohm and a few others. These events have been described by Martin Gardner [5] and I will not discuss them here. What happened after the tests is more important. If I remember correctly, Brendan and I went with Uri to his hotel room where I met Andrija Puharich [6], Sir John Whitmore and, perhaps, Ira Einhorn [7]. I could be wrong about Einhorn [8]. I startled Uri by asking him if he could trigger a nuclear weapon by psychokinesis. I later found out from Ron Mc Rae [9] that some of our intelligence people were greatly concerned about that possibility. I may have initiated that concern because I had mentioned it several times to large groups of people at several meetings.

I was back in Paris several weeks later with Sharon. Fred Wolf said: "Jack, I'm going to introduce you to a man who will change your life." Fred took me and Sharon to the swank Ritz Hotel. We waited in the lobby and a guy who looked like Richard Gere [10] in a jump suit walks in with a woman. He says: "Hi, I'm Werner Erhard." I had never heard of the guy. I said, "What do you do?" Werner replied: "I make people happy." I thought, "Why am I wasting time with this yo yo?" and, hoping to make a quick exit, said in a sassy Damon Runyon manner, "Oh yeah, I think you must be some kind of an asshole!" Werner's face became positively radiant and he cracked a Mephistophelian [11] smile embraced me saying: "I will give you money when you come to San Francisco." I was taken aback by an unexpected offer I could not refuse. I was under contract with E.P. Dutton by then and was planning to go to Chicago to finish Space-Time and Beyond at Bob Toben's place. Werner then outlined his plan for me to set up a sort of Ghost Busters team of physicists to research psychic phenomena and in his words "the physics of consciousness". Werner said that he was very interested in physics and that he wanted me and Fred Wolf to tutor him and his "trainers".

We flew to New York. Sharon and I spent a few days with Uri Geller, Ira Einhorn, Bob Toben, Sir John Whitmore and Andrija Puharich at Puharich's large house in Ossining. Puharich gave me his book URI. I did not have time to read it but I gave it to my mother in Brooklyn a few days later. My mother was reading the book [12] when she suddenly exclaimed: "Jacky Jacky this is what happened to you!" "What happened to me? What are you talking about Ma?" "The computer in the flying saucer that called you on the telephone when you were a little boy. Don't you remember when you got all those phone calls?" An electric shock went through me - I only remember one phone call. "What do you mean phone calls? I only got one call." "No you didn't! Jacky what's the matter with you? You got three weeks of these crazy calls. You were on the phone for hours at a time walking around glassy-eyed. I got worried and grabbed the phone away from you. I said 'Who is this? Why are you calling my son?' I heard that voice. It said it was a computer. It wanted you to come back to the telephone. I said 'Don't you call back here again!' and hung up and that was that." Not even a super-technological conscious computer on board a flying saucer from the future can argue with an irate Jewish Mother!

Bob Toben drove Sharon and me down to Philadelphia. We stayed with my literary agent Ira Einhorn and his doomed girl friend Holly Maddux [13]. Ira introduced took us to the mainline mansion of Arthur Young. Young was the inventor of the Bell Helicopter and was a close friend of Charles Lindbergh. Young's wife was an heiress of the Forbes Steel fortune. Young financed the Institute for the Study of Consciousness in Berkeley California. He invited me to stay there. Einhorn told me he would introduce me to Stewart Brand , Michael Murphy [14] and George Leonard [15] when I got to San Francisco. He was very concerned about what he called "Soviet breakthroughs in psychotronic weapons of mind control at a distance using ELF and sound waves". He said he had support from the local telephone company and from the Bronfman [16] in Toronto to link up visionary scientists like myself. He also said he was working with Jacques Vallee [17] and Brendan O Regan on a UFO data base. Ira mentioned that he was working with Congressman Charlie Rose (D. North Carolina) of the House Select Committee on Intelligence [18]. Rose confirmed his connection to Einhorn in a telephone conversation with me.

Werner was as good as his word and promptly had his EST Foundation write me an initial $5,000 check (Autumn 1974). Einhorn did his job as my literary agent and arranged a meeting at Arthur Young's Institute in Berkeley that included Michael Murphy, Hazel Henderson [19] and another physicist Saul Paul Sirag [20], who was Barbara Honeggers [21] lover. Werner gave me free run of his organization which I found rather odd. The estoids all seemed to be glassy-eyed and very creepy [22]. One in particular, Raz Ingrasci, talked about Werner as if he were God-incarnate. One day Raz said he would jump out of a high window if Werner ordered him to. One day I noticed a table with a sign that said "Bulgarian Desk" [23]. There were a lot of pretty young women who were easily available since I was known as one of Werner's special friends - a Prince of the Court. Werner was always very warm with me and invited me to many dinners both at Franklin House and at expensive restaurants. He never carried any money or credit cards. We were always escorted (in a Mercedes) by a security team who also paid all the bills.

A former student of physicist John Wheeler [24], Robert Fuller was head of Werner's Foundation. Fuller had been President of Oberlin College but had suffered a mid-life crisis and had fallen under Werner's influence. Fuller now heads the World Watch Institute in Washington. Fuller [25] was jealous of Werner's fondness for me and that this was a factor precipitating my falling out with Werner. I was worried about the crypto-Nazi feel of the est-org, but I had hoped that Werner would get his intellectual act together and say something of genuine interest in terms of physics and philosophy. I was not at all subservient to Werner in his presence like most of the academics that surrounded and apparently adored him. Some of them called him the "new Heidegger" [26]. Professor Irwin Corey [27] made more sense. There was a lot of talk of Werner running for President one day. Werner said he would appoint me to be head of the National Science Foundation. Werner's brother Nathan Rosenberg was in the Navy as an aide to President Carter's Secretary of Defense Harold Brown. [28] Kevin Garvey [29] told me that Werner had fifteen of loyal estoids in the Carter White House. Werner was very active with trainings of government people in Washington D.C. Carter [30] had created Project Scanate [31] for remote-viewing of military targets by psychics. Werner used remote-viewing in his training and he also contributed money to SRI for that project.

Sidney was a close friend of the late Bishop Pike. Werner had me meet with several Stanford and U.C. Faculty before he set up the Physics Consciousness Research Group at Esalen with me and Michael Murphy as co-directors. Michael arranged all our activities in Big Sur. Saul Paul Sirag [32] was my chief assistant. Michael arranged for Jean Lanier to supply me with money. Jean, who resembled Shirley MacLaine [33] was the widow of the late Chairman of the Board of Stone-Webster Engineering. Her current husband was an Episcopal Priest Sidney Lanier. Sidney was a close friend of the late Bishop Pike. He was active in New York off-broadway theater. Sidney was also a close friend of Jose Ferrer who I resemble. Jean rented a five bedroom suite for us on top of Nob Hill [34]. She was a close friend of Laurance Rockefeller who would telephone the Nob Hill flat looking for her.

I attended the EST April Celebrity Training of 1975. The list of trainees included Ellie Coppola, Sterling Hayden [35], Michael Murphy, Buzz Aldrin [36], Ted Ashley [37],the late Jerry Rubin [38], Fred Wolf, Saul Paul Sirag and many others. Sterling Hayden quickly walked out calling Werner a "Nazi" as he pushed away some estoids who tried to block his passage. Michael Murphy was visibly upset and angry at his close friend Werner. I was sitting with Astronaut Buzz Aldrin who was having a severe kidney problem. Werner got all confused when he tried to talk about the new physics. He let me explain to the group in ordinary language what he was trying to say in his hypnotic estspeak.

The trick of est is to seduce your consciousness by subverting the English language with dominating psycho-babble. It was right out of George Orwell's 1984. The est-training did get every one high. It must have been how the SS officers felt after being indoctrinated as leaders of the Master Race.

I was introduced to Ellie Coppola during a break in the training. She had just read Space-Time and Beyond. Ellie invited Fred Wolf and me to her home at at 2800 Broadway at 2am after the training. We met her husband Francis Ford Coppola. The first thing Francis said to me was that he did not like Werner Erhard but that he would not tell his wife what to do. Francis has fine moral instincts. I was getting suspicious of Werner [39] especially after I heard the rumor that he said he changed his name from Jack Rosenberg to Werner Erhard to "give up Jewish weakness for German strength."

I started to spend a lot of time at the Coppola's house. I introduced them to Uri Geller and to Einhorn's friend, French UFO scientist Jacques Vallee [40]. I think Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were there as well that time but I am not sure. Vallee became technical consultant to Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a result of that introduction. Francois Trauffaut [41] played the role of Jacques Vallee in the Spielberg film. Ira Einhorn had introduced me to Vallee. Einhorn and Vallee were working together on a computer network project that anticipated the Internet. Einhorn orginally introduced me to Hazel Henderson, Arthur Young, Stewart Brand and Michael Murphy. Einhorn at Esalen is described by Willian Irwin Thompson in The Edge of History. Congressman Charlie Rose (D North Carolina) of the House Committtee on Intelligence confirmed to me by telephone that Ira was involved in National Security operations. Ira, like O.J. Simpson, always claimed he was framed by "the KGB". It is curious that he was never found. Ira spent weeks at Esalen after he was indicted for the murder of Holly Maddux. Senator Arlen Specter was his defence attornry and one of the Bronfmans from Toronto allegedly paid his legal fees.

I met Jack Nicholson [42], Michael Douglas, Milos Forman, Saul Zaentz and Hans Syberberg [43] at various parties at the Coppola's Broadway mansion and at Tomasso's Restaurant in North Beach where Francis would bake the pizza in the wood burning oven. Francis was running CITY Magazine. Ellie had Raisa Gustaitus do an article about our Esalen Group called "Faster than the speeding photon". I first met Stephen Schwartz [44] at CITY where he was assisting Warren Hinckle [45] I once walked into the Caffe Trieste with Francis when Steve Turner walked up to him and aggressively pushed him calling him a "dirty dog". Francis floored Turner with one punch. My meeting with Hans Syberberg at Francis's showing of Our Hitler is of particular importance because it involved a man named "Putzi".

I received a phone call from a man named George Koopman [46] during one of our Esalen seminars in 1976. He asked if he could come to Big Sur. I said yes. Koopman soon became a financial patron of my Ghost Busters [47] at Esalen. Koopman was a close friend of Dan Akroyd [48] and my group was the inspiration for the film Ghost Busters. He provided money through military contracts with the Air Force and the U.S. Army Tank Command funneled through his company Insgroup in Irvine, California.

Koopman was addicted to cocaine and would talk freely when high. He told us that he was related to Arthur Krock, the publisher of the New York Times. He said that he had blown the whistle on U. S. Army Intelligence domestic spying to the New York Times. Koopman said that he had worked on the "kook desk" for the Defense Intelligence Agency and that they were very interested in the kind of new physics we were working on. They were especially interested in machines that could tell the future [49] and in new kinds of aircraft propulsion systems. Koopman liked to show how he could open locked doors with his burglar tools that he always carried in his brief case. He showed me a letter from the military giving him permission to have the tools.

Koopman was very interested in Werner Erhard's tax structure. I took Koopman to meet Werner. Werner was in a room with a large blackboard. On the board were several references to "UFOs" and "extra-terrestrial contacts." Werner did not seem to trust Koopman.

I found out through one of my girlfriends [50] that Koopman succeeded in spying on the Arica organization. Koopman, Sirag and I had heard weird stories from Jan Brewer at Esalen that Arica was started in Chile by high ranking fugitives from the Third Reich who were masters of the occult. Many of the regulars at Esalen, including some of our group like Dr. John Lilly [51] and Claudio Naranjo [52] had been in the first Arica training in Chile. Timothy Leary was released from prison. Leary became part of my group at Esalen. Leary was a close friend of Michael Murphy. George Koopman arranged for Leary and me to lecture together at the Arthur Young's Institute in Berkeley. Koopman spent a lot of money hiring a professional T.V. crew to record us. Robert Anton Wilson, Nick Herbert and Saul Paul Sirag participated in this event. Koopman became Leary's business manager and publisher. Leary's message was SMI2LE (Space Migration Intelligence Increase Life Extension) which is also the message of this book.

Koopman sabotaged me at Esalen by suddenly breaking his contract and stopping the cash flow he had committed. The ostensible reason was that I had insulted the New Age seminarians at Esalen by calling them "idiots and morons" which I did. Werner would say much worse in his trainings. Koopman was very high when he confronted me with this supposed sin. Koopman would show up at the Caffe Trieste on several occasions years later. Koopman was apparently ordered by higher ups to cut me out of the Esalen picture because I was too much of a "loose cannon" that they could not control. They replaced me with my assistant Saul Paul Sirag and with Nick Herbert who continued to run the Esalen seminars. It may be that Koopman's death in 1989 was no accident. That's just a hunch. Chipman's death around the same time as Koopman's may also not have been from natural causes.

I walked into the Caffe Trieste one day in 1979. A young girl Maiti said she had written a poem about me. We soon started dating. She said her father was a "senior policy planner" in the government but she did not agree with his politics and had briefly been in the Weatherman. She showed me a photograph of her Grandfather who was a German General (Rudel) during World War Two. Her father had met her mother while on Army duty after the war. One day her father telephoned and said that he heard that the Philadelphia Incident [53] was really true. Maiti mentioned that her father had ET contacts as a child like I had. Her father was an Arabic-speaking expert in Middle-East affairs with high level contacts. He once sent me a manuscript on the qabala and the mystical union between Judaism, Christianity and Islam. One day Maiti showed me a copy of a letter that her father, Robert Dickson Crane [54], wrote of his friend Anthony Weiner at the Hudson Institute. The letter [55] says in part:

"Another individual, who may be just plain crazy but also has a slight chance, in my view of being another Einstein, is Jack Sarfatti, who is plugging his 'faster than light' quantum physics ... The reason I am interested in Sarfatti's ideas is that the full potential of negentropy in human thought can be realized only if Sarfatti is right. ... Assuming that Sarfatti is wrong ... the insights of Minsky and of your own cerebration offer about all that the state of the artificial intelligence art can handle for the next decade anyway. If Sarfatti should ever prove to be right, then our work on negentropy in human thought would have created the tools for tapping whatever potential there is in the 'new physics'."

I recently had breakfast with Maiti in the Haight-Ashbury. She said her father had recently converted to Islam and wanted to be the first US Army Islamic Chaplain. She also said that her father was a close friend of conservative Pat Buchanan. Herb Caen in the March 4, 1996 San Francisco Chronicle cites a wag on the GOP "First they gave us a guy who says 'Read my lips.", now they give us a guy who says "Read Mein Kampf".

Crane's remarks are not that different from Martin Gardner's [56] published statement,

"In recent years Sarfatti has been promoting an invention .... designed to transmit coded information faster than light. I know of no other physicist who thinks it will work. If it does, Sarfatti will become one of the greatest physicists of all time."

I now think that the actual designs I had for faster-than-light communication devices back in 1979 would not have worked. I was remote-viewing my future design with a low signal to noise ratio. Nick Herbert also published a design that would not have worked. I think that today in 1992 I do have a design that will work that I will explain later on. Only experiment will decide. The point here is that if my weird physics turns out to be right, then it is evidence for my being a contactee of either alien extra-terrestrials or advanced humans or artificial intelligences from our future. If my physics turns out to be wrong, then I am just plain nuts [57] and you wasted your money on rubbish - but perhaps you had fun on the way. I feel like Zorba the Greek in this matter - if you remember the last scene of the movie you'll get my meaning.

My adventures with two more women during this period are worth mentioning before moving on to the next Act. One named Crystal picked me up in the Caffe Trieste. She was a statuesque blonde in a low cut green evening dress. Crystal said she belonged to a Coven of Beautiful Witches [58] who wanted me to be their Warlock. This was not so crazy in Frisco back then. After we made love she introduced me to a real nut who called himself Damian Zarrow. He said he was from Esalen and that he was in contact with extra-terrestrials and that he was testifying before a Senate Committee. I later found out that Crystal knew another girl friend of mine from Esalen named Betty Andreason. I have since heard of a woman by that name who claims to have been abducted by UFOs. I don't know if its the same woman.

In view of the present-day Esalen-Erhard-Yeltsin-Gorbachev connections [59], the 1979 Esalen-UFO connection is significant. Even though I had split with Werner Erhard by late 1977, EST's Raz Ingrasci phoned me and asked me to meet with Jenny O Conner. Raz said that Jenny had been sent to Werner by Sir John Whitmore who had funded Andrija Puharich's collaborations with Uri Geller back in 1973. Jenny claimed to be channeling messages from "The Nine" - the same extra-terrestrials that Puharich wrote about. In view of my own contact in 1952 I should have been more diplomatic with Jenny when she came to my apartment at 2 Whiting Place - the apartment that Michael Murphy had given me. Jenny impressed me as total fraud and I practically kicked her out. I was verbally very rude. Jenny and The Nine [60] was promptly installed at Esalen for quite some time overlapping with visits by physicist the late Heinz Pagels, Congressman Charlie Rose, Ira Einhorn, and high ranking Russians from Georgy Arbatov's Moscow Institute of US and Canada which was influential during Gorbachev's watch.

Soviet Officials at Esalen in late 70's and early 80's

* Valentin M. Berezhkov [61]
* Yuri A. Zamoshkin [62]
* Andrey A. Kokoshin [63]
* Henrikas Jushkevitshus [64]
* Vladimir M. Kuznetsov
* Vlail P. Kaznacheyev
* Joseph Goldin [66]

This list is not complete. Vladimir Posner is an important fellow in all this according to Schwartz and Tinkerman. The fact remains, the iron post of observation that a bunch of apparently California New Age flakes into UFOs and psychic phenomena, including myself, had made their way into the highest levels of the American ruling class and the Soviet Union and today run the Gorbachev Foundation.

Did these influential Russian policy pundits get high in the hot tubs of Esalen as has been alleged by right-wing theorists? My current lady friend, who was living near Esalen at the time, and spent a lot of time there with Richard Feynman, says that drugs were not used in the Soviet-Esalen Exchange, if they got high it was the magic of Esalen and the meditative serenity of the incredible natural environment and spiritual stimulation that Michael Murphy has catalysed over the years.

Was Jan Brewer telling the truth about the Fourth Reich using Arica to influence the New Age? Brewer was part of the original Esalen group of forty that went to Chile for the first Arica training with Oscar Ichazo [67]. Arica was big at Esalen at the same time that the Soviets were soaking in the hot tubs. Was I pulled out of the operation by George Koopman because in his opinion I was unpredictable and uncontrollable? Or is the truth still even stranger than even I can imagine? Was Michael Murphy a brilliant Puppet Master or merely a lucky charming "useful idiot", a Forrest Gump character like me? Was Ira Einhorn framed? Was Jean Nadal murdered? Was Francois Trauffaut murdered? Was Harold Chipman [68] murdered? Was George Koopman murdered? Is this all my Walter Mitty paranoid exaggeration? What do you think?

Footnotes

[1]
It is curious that the quote from I. J. Good is about such an intelligence. Good worked with Alan Turing during W.W.II on MK ULTRA which broke the Nazi war codes with the Enigma machine. A curious exchange happened between Good and myself. I wrote another paper for Psychoenergetic Systems. Good sent me a copy of his paper on super- intelligence. The two papers were remarkably similar. So similar that Good suspected me of plagarism - though he did not go so far as to accuse me. In fact, I had not seen Good's paper until he sent me a copy of it. I take this as evidence for a close encounter with super-intelligence lending some credibility to my 1952 phone call from the computer.

[2]
Author of Childhood's End about the kind of super-intelligence I suggest actually exists and is in contact with us.

[3]
author of the classic Darkness at Noon. Koestler graciously invited Sharon and I to his home for drinks with his wife.

[4]
John Hasted, a jolly fellow, was head of the Physics Department at Birkbeck. Birkbeck, created by J.D. Bernal, had a reputation of being very left wing and sympathetic to the Soviet Union. I never encountered this aspect directly in the physics department. Bernal wrote a very important essay, "The World, The Flesh and the Devil" in the 1930's about super-intelligence in the far future.

[5]
Magic and Paraphysics in Science, Good, Bad and Bogus (Prometheus, 1981). Gardner was an editor for Scientific American.

[6]
Andrija Puharich M.D. worked for Army Intelligence in the early fifties and wrote one of the first studies on psychedelic drugs. Puharich was Geller's case officer in America with money provided by Sir John Whitmore. Ira Einhorn worked closely with Andrija Puharich as well as with Esalen's Michael Murphy and George Leonard.

[7]
Einhorn's biography is The Unicorn's Secret by Steve Levy. Einhorn is still at large as a fugitive from justice. He may be innocent of the murder of Holly Maddux. Opening up KGB files might tell the truth.

[8]
I recall meeting Einhorn and Puharich in London when I stayed with Brendan O Regan at Joyce Petchek's palatial mansion which had its own olympic-sized swimming pool in the basement. Joyce was a Jewish American Princess who "channeled" an ancient Egyptian Princess. I may have angered her when it became obvious I was more interested in her erotic body than her auric body during her private seance with me. I felt like Groucho Marx in Animal Crackers. Joyce, Brendan and I made a pilgrimage to Paris to see Carlo Suares in the spring of 1974.

[9]
A reporter for Jack Anderson who wrote MIND WARS (St. Martin's) which credits my help. Mc Rae spent a week with me in North Beach researching his book.

[10]
I was introduced to Richard Gere outside the Caffe Trieste by my old friend Marcus Demian who helped him get started in Hollywood.

[11]
One time, at Franklin House (the equivalent of Hitler's Brown House) Werner joked with me "I am the Devil!"

[12]
Sharon was a witness to this incident.

[13]
Blinded by the Light, The Einhorn-Maddux Murder Case, "... Ira Einhorn was the foremost exponent and most celebrated relic of the counterculture which Hair celebrated..."

-Albert Robbins, The Village Voice, July 30, 1979; Front Page

[14]
Michael Murphy told me that he and his brother were the models for the brothers in John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Steinbeck was a close friend of Michael's grandfather who owned the coastal land that Esalen is built on. Michael gave me his apartment on 2 Whiting Street on Telegraph Hill. Michael is very charming and appears to be very naive. He was most likely a "useful idiot" of the KGB in the "psychic war raging across the continents between the Soviet Union and your country" (as Dennis Bardens described it in the Blue Boar Inn) rather than a "Puppet Master". On the other hand, Michael is well aware of the PSI WAR and describes very well in his book The End to Ordinary History. I had dinner with him recently at the Pelican Inn in Marin at a party celebrating Lawry Chickering's marriage to Serena Mondavi. Michael said he wanted me to return to Esalen but he apparently is not a man of his word.

[15]
As editor of Look in the 60's Leonard wrote the article that launched the Haight Ashbury "Flower Children" as the advance wave of a coming "Transformation" of world consciousness. Leonard also wrote the first major article on alleged psychics in the Soviet Union. George was definitely fooled by the KGB because all of the Soviet psychic claims were transparent disinformation. It is interesting that the Soviets knew what was going to be in Space-Time and Beyond before it was published. Bill Whitehead of Dutton asked me to credit some Russian with the discovery of "bio-gravitation" which, in the Soviet formulation, was a bogus idea.

[16]
owners of Seagram's Liquor.

[17]
Vallee gives us a very important clue about the occult-Nazi connection to UFOs and Jenny and The Nine at Esalen on pp. 192 & 193 of Messengers of Deception: "contactee George Adamski had prewar connections with American fascist leader William Dudley Pelly, who died in 1965, was the leader of the Silver Shirts ... Dr. Laughhead, who ... launched Dr. Andrija Puharich on the tracks of the mythic SPECTRA, is also thought to have associated with this group." SPECTRA reappears as Jenny O Conner and THE NINE brought to Esalen by Werner Erhard and Puharich's patron Sir John Whitmore.

[18]
a) " Rose ... advocates launching a 'Manhattan Project type' effort to develop the [psychic] weapons. 'The Soviets are up to their ass in this stuff,' he told Mc Rae, 'and we shouldn't fall behind.'"
- Paranormal Pentagon, Discover, (March 1981, p.15 )

b) "The witnesses Rose would call include CIA officials who, Rose said, 'know this remote-viewing stuff works but who have been blocked by publicity-shy superiors.'"
-William K. Stuckey, PSI ON CAPITOL HILL, OMNI p.24

[19]
I met Hazel Henderson again when we were both speakers at the San Francisco Art Institute along with Angela Davis.

[20]
Sirag spent the first five years of his life in a Japanese prison camp on Borneo where his parents were Missionaries. He played Mr. Spock to my Captain Kirk in the Physics Consciousness Research Group until George Koopman torpedoed it. Sirag then lived with Barbara Honegger in a flat provided by Henry Dakin.

[21]
Honegger worked with Jim Hickman, Michael Murphy and Brendan O Regan. Barbara told me of a strange encounter with Brendan O Regan in which trance medium Ingo Swann spoke with a cold metallic voice and said that it was a computer from a hundred years into the future. She actually was doing some interesting work in synchronicity. Barbara sued Stanford Professor Karl Pribram in an assault case and won. She went to work for Martin Anderson at the Hoover Institute and followed Anderson to Reagan's white House in 1981. I warned Lawry Chickering that Barbara was a loose cannon. Sure enough she quit the White House saying that the Reaganites were unfair to women. She has accused the Reagan team of the "October Surprise". Barbara says that Bill Casey arranged that the American hostages in Iran not be released until Reagan was elected. Stephen Schwartz says Barbara is lying. Knowing Barbara I do not think she is consciously lying, but, perhaps has been misled. She is quite idealistic but naive.

[22]
In fact Phil Kaufmann's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers set in San Francisco imitates the behavior of the hard core estoids. I would not be surprised if some of them were androids off a flying saucer. :-)

[23]
I also met Bulgarians doing "psychic research"visiting Henry Dakin's laboratory where Michael Murphy and Jim Hickman were doing their psychic-Soviet project. An army friend, in a position to know, told me that all the Bulgarians in America at that time were KGB agents. Stephen Schwartz of the neo-conservative Institute for Contemporary Studies who is an expert on Soviet Communism confirmed my friend's statement. Werner and Michael Murphy have spent lots of time in the Soviet Union before and after it fell. In fact, Werner has appeared to run back to Moscow now that the IRS indicted him for multi-million dollar tax fraud. Will Werner become a political power in the New Russia?

[24]
Wheeler worked with Einstein and Bohr and was Richard Feynman's thesis advisor at Princeton. Wheeler is the Merlin of Physics and a lot of my ideas were inspired by his visionary writings. I suspect Wheeler is channeling messages from the future telepathically as are some other physicists like his former student Kip Thorne and also David Deutsch. Of course Wheeler and the others may have no idea that they may be caught in the Destiny Matrix!

[25]
Fuller arranged a series of expensive junkets for famous physicists as part of Werner's plan to gain respectability in his megalomaniacal drive for influence and world power. Rev. Moon does exactly the same thing. San Francisco Chronicle science reporter Charles Petit wrote on Wed. Jan 28, 1981 (p.32):

"An unusual closed-door meeting of more than a dozen of the world's foremost physicists , including at least three Nobel Prize winners, has been held under the sponsorship of est-founder Werner Erhard in San Francisco..."

The list of physicists included Murray Gell-Mann, Stephen Hawking, Leonard Susskind, and David Finkelstein. I had introduced Finkelstein to Werner when I brought Finkelstein to Esalen. Susskind (who is now a professor at Stanford), Jonathan Glogower and I had worked together in 1963 as students at Cornell on the problem of coherent phase in quantum mechanics. I had formulated the problem when I worked for Tech/Ops in 1963. In fact I mention my work with Susskind and Glogower in a paper I published in Il Nuovo Cimento (March, 1963). I had arranged for Glogower to get into Cornell as a graduate student through Phil Morrison even though Glogower never got a BA degree (Susskind also did not finish his BA degree). Glogower and I were friends since age eleven. He was a Westinghouse Science Finalist. I knew him when I received the UFO phone call in 1952. Glogower never did anything other than that one paper with me and Susskind. Susskind said that that paper is the only one he may be remembered for. It is extensively quoted. I went off to work at Ford Aeronutronics in California. In the meantime Susskind finished and published the work we had started together and never even gave me an acknowledgement as would have been proper but not expedient. Oddly enough, the phase paper appears in the same issue that published John Bell's paper on nonlocality which is the key idea of physics part of this book. Petit continues:

"The meeting chairman was theoretical physicist Leonard Susskind of Stanford University ...An est spokesman, Doug Bell, said Susskind wanted word passed that 'it's not like there is anything to hide here. Its just a few fellows having a meeting. But where its at for them is that it doesn't want or merit the kind of attention that you are going to give it.'"

[26]
Heidegger's passive collaboration with Hitler is well known.

[27]
Corey used to hang out at Enrico's Cafe where I spent a lot of time with Marshall Naify, Chairman of the Board of United Artist Theaters. Werner started est in offices above Enrico's.

[28]
he is now President of Cal Tech

[29]
Garvey, who lives in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, near the Army War College, has collected all kinds of data on Werner and other cult figures. Garvey came to see me in North Beach years ago. He was concerned about New Age penetration of the US Army.

[30]
Carter met Uri Geller on a State Visit to the President of Mexico. Geller fooled Carter like he fooled me, Bohm and Hasted. An intelligence friend of mine told me that Geller was having an affair with the wife of the President of Mexico at the time. I had been contacted by an American intelligence agent for an evaluation of Geller before Carter made the trip as part of the security for the trip.

[31]
Former Naval Intelligence Officer and Jack Anderson reporter Ron Mc Rae told me that the Navy had been fooled by phony data on remote-viewing of Soviet submarines because someone had leaked the actual data to the phony psychics. Mc Rae seems to have omitted this story from his book MIND WARS. Barbara Honegger said that policy decisions on the basing of MX missiles were made by the Reagan staff under the belief that remote-viewing worked. Harold Chipman believed that it worked and told me that he had used it successfully in his business. Indeed, he introduced me to a glamorous private detective, V, as one of his best performers in remote-viewing operations. V and I became lovers. She confirmed that she had participated in experiments with Chipman. V was like the Princess in Cocteau's Orfee "une espionne chargee de surveiller un homme et qui le suave en se perdant" in Cocteau's words.

[32]
Robert Anton Wilson, who was part of our Esalen Seminars, quotes Sirag extensively in his books.

[33]
Shirley MacLaine quotes me in her book Dancing in the Light. She got the title from Gary Zukav's Dancing Wu Li Masters. I always had a crush on Shirley. Shirley if you read this get in touch! I want Mel Brooks to do the screen play of my story with Gene Wilder playing me. :-)

[34]
1155 Jones St.

[35]
liberal movie actor.

[36]
NASA astronaut who was on moon trip.

[37]
CEO of Warner Brothers Studios.

[38]
famous yippy in Chicago 1968. Rubin, recently killed by a car, became a loyal estoid on Wall Street. I worked with his girl friend Estelle Resnick in forming the Peace and Freedom Party in San Diego in the late sixties.

[39]
I was in the position of the actor in the German film Mephisto. You will see later how this ties in with Rashi Zarfati's relation to Godfroi de Bouillon, Margherita Sarfatti's relation to Mussolini and Putzi Sedgwick-Hanfstaengl's relation to Hitler.

[40]
author of Messengers of Deception about UFOs and The Network Revolution. It describes est influence in Silicon Valley computer firms.

[41]
I met a friend of Trauffaut's at Esalen, a young French playwright named Jean Reisser Nadal. He was investigating the New Age movement for French National Radio. He stayed with me in San Francisco and told me he had discovered some disturbing political connections including a plan to assassinate Nelson Rockefeller. I took him to the airport. A few months later I received an invitation to his funeral at Pere La Chaise cemetery. I had Michel Roure speak to Jean's girl friend. She said that Jean kept saying "contact Jack Sarfatti" before he died. His death was do to a sudden onset of bone cancer. This is the way Harold Chipman also died. I am told that radioactive poisoning has been used for murder by intelligence organizations. Trauffaut is also dead. Nadal told me that he and Trauffaut were planning to write a screenplay or documentary based upon his research. I alerted a friend in American intelligence about the threat to Rockefeller and Nadal's death. Rockefeller did die soon after under odd circumstances.

[42]
I was told that John Updike used me as the model for Daryl Van Horne in Witches of Eastwick. Nicholson played this role in the movie. I had been dating Suky Sedgwick and Updike uses the name Suky in the book. Eastwick sounds like Sedgwick. Updike knows the story of the Sedgwicks and apparently knows about my work in the new physics since he alludes to it in both Eastwick and his book Roger's Version. If, on the other hand, Updike did not know about me and Suky then we have a remarkable meaningful coincidence suggesting a sense of humor in what John Lilly calls "Cosmic Coincidence Control".

[43]
Hans Syberberg has made two films, Our Hitler and Parsifal. Francis Coppola distributed Our Hitler in America. I watched this six hour film with Syberberg in Francis's private theater. Although I did not realize its significance then, Our Hitler has Putzi Sedgwick-Hanfstaengl as a central image. I met Putzi's grandson at around the same time.

[44]
Stephen Schwartz was a red diaper baby turned neoconservative. Edie Sedgwick's niece, Leila Minturn Dwight, introduced Stephen to A. Lawrence Chickering at the Caffe Trieste. Chickering's grandfather had worked with Leila's great grandfather, Henry De Forest, who had run the Southern Pacific Railroad at the turn of the century. Schwartz became a force at Chickering's Institute for Contemporary Studies. His most recent book is A Strange Silence about the rise of democracy in Nicaragua. Both Schwartz and Chickering write for the San Francisco Chronicle.

[45]
Hinckle took me drinking several times at a policeman's bar on Kearny Street in the Barbary Coast near Coppola's building. Coppola's office is designed to look like Captain Nemo's submarine in Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. In some ways Francis is a genius kid who never grew up. He likes to collect all kinds of toys. He has the power to make his fantasies real.

[46]
"George A. Koopman Dies in Car; Technologist for Space Was 44 ... an entrepreneur in space technology who founded the American Rocket Company lived in Malibu. ... Mr. Koopman's career included being an intelligence analyst in the Vietnam War, a maker of military training films for the Government and the coordinator of spectacular stunts in the 1980 movie The Blues Brothers.... the activity that gained Mr. Koopman the most attention was stunt coordinator for The Blues Brothers, which starred John Belushi and Dan Akroyd ..."

New York Times (OBITUARIES, Friday, July 21, 1989 p.A11)

[47]
a partial list of participants in the Esalen Physics-Consciousness Seminars while I was director includes: Werner Erhard, Timothy Leary, Ira Einhorn, Jacques Vallee, Fritjof Capra, Gary Zukav, Fred Wolf, Bob Toben, Jean Lanier, Michael Murphy, George Leonard, the late Richard Price, Dr. John Lilly, Dr. Stan Grof, Dr.Joan Halifax-Grof, Bob Toben, Saul Paul Sirag, Nick Herbert, David Finkelstein, Russell Targ, Henry Dakin, Robert Anton Wilson, Karl Pribram, Brian Josephson, David Finkelstein, Barbara Honegger, Jagdish Mann.

[48]
comedian from Saturday Night Live and star of Ghost Busters.

[49]
a)"Interest in the military potential of ESP... has grown in recent years. Some of it stems from the search for reliable and jamming-free modes of communication. A popular wave of interest in ESP stemmed from a boom in the occult and supernatural phenomena in the late 1960's and early 1970's, a time when ESP research in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union also attracted popular attention. Some scientists in the West have feared that the mounting fascination with ESP, in league with the resurgence in the occult and mysticism, threatens science itself ... The Russians have long recognized that if ESP were an actual effect and could be harnessed, it would have great strategic potential. In 1973, stories appeared describing CIA-sponsored probing of Soviet and Chinese secret installations by individuals with high psi ability. By the mid-1970s, Stanford Research Institute appeared to be carrying the ball. Evidence of interest and research, however, does not necessarily mean serious acceptance or commitment to programs ... nations involved in disarmament talks may interject 'jokers' or 'riders' into otherwise serious and rational proposals to make sure that their opponents will not accept them. Those thus maneuvered into the role of rejectors may seem in the eyes of technically unaware publics to be foes of peace. A corollary to this is the strategy of mounting shadow programs to draw an adversary's attention - and resources - into a dead end, the essence of Soviet efforts in the field of 'disinformation'. It is not clear at this point if both sides are really just playing with each other, or if there is something really developing in the realm of ESP..."

- Cnth?: On the Strategic Potential of ESP by Dr. Roger A. Beaumont (SIGNAL, Jan, 1982, pp. 39-45)

b) "It is generally believed that the Soviets and their allies are well in the lead in parapsychological research ... Telepathic behavior modification, which includes the ability to induce hypnotic states up to distances in excess of 1,000 kilometers, has been reported. ... The ability to mentally move objects has also been repeatedly demonstrated under scientifically controlled conditions. ... test subjects, targeted against strategic sites in both the USSR and the People's Republic of China, were able to penetrate secured areas to retrieve desired data via out-of-body travel ..."

- The New Mental Battlefield by Lt. Col. John B. Alexander, US Army (Military Review, The Professional Journal of the US Army, Dec. 1980, pp. 47-54)

c) "... the Navy has 34 psychics under contract to track Soviet submarines..."

d) Ch 2 of Howard Blum's OUT THERE describes a Project Scanate session of remote-viewing of Soviet submarines and Mikhail Gorbachev's country dacha as late as 1985 in the office of George Keyworth, President Reagan's Science Advisor. "...this new channel is employed by focusing on specific latitudinal and longitudinal information ... the demonstration centered on the possible use of psychic powers in antisubmarine warfare."

- Paranormal Pentagon, Discover, March, 1981 p.15

[50]
in 1979

[51]
Lilly has written an important book called The Scientist in which he describes his contacts with super-intelligences from the future while under the influence of ketamine. The kind of world Lilly describes is the world that I am arguing for in this book. Lilly was a close friend of the great physicist the late Richard Feynman. Lilly was at Esalen when high ranking Soviet officials were there. To what extent have the events leading to the fall of the Soviet state been caused by the Esalen drug experiences of Soviet leaders? Both Yeltsin and Gorbachev are closely tied to Esalen as is Werner Erhard. Even Lawry Chickering of ICS has mentioned the importance of Esalen in the neoconservative movement. This is the same Esalen that gave seminars by an alleged discarnate group of extra-terrestrials called "The Nine". Andrija Puharich writes about "The Nine" in URI. My ex-book agent Ira Einhorn spent six weeks at Esalen after he was indicted for the murder of Holly Maddux. Congressman Charlie Rose who believed the KGB disinformation on PSI WARS has also given seminars at Esalen - strange goings on for sure. Esalen's Jim Garrison? was also a co-founder of the Christic Institute. How did Dr. John Mack of Harvard Medical School get involved in this? Mack was tech advisor for CBS mini series on UFO abductions. Mack is a founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility and has a Pulitzer for a book on Lawrence of Arabia. Mack told me that he heard that Gorbachev has had a UFO contact experience.

[52]
Naranjo, Fred Wolf and I were in Brasil together in 1985 as keynote speakers at the First International Congress on the Mind/Matter Interaction paid for by IBM Brasil. I met many wealthy and powerful people in Brasil including Army Generals. They all think Uri Geller has real paranormal powers and none of them doubted the reality of UFOs. A retired general showed me elaborately twisted pieces of metal that he claimed he saw bent psychokinetically by local versions of Uri Geller. He also claimed to have seen UFO landings in the Amazon jungle.

[53]
A Navy ship in WWII allegedly went through what Kip Thorne calls a "traversable wormhole time machine".

[54]
a cousin of Congressman Phil Crane (R. Ill).

[55]
Crane's letter to Weiner is dated November 18, 1979.

[56]
p. 111, hard cover edition of SCIENCE, GOOD, BAD AND BOGUS (Prometheus, 1981)

[57]
The third alternative is that I am nuts and my physics is right. When I look at photos of myself back in the 70's and 80's, even I say: "That guy must be nuts!"

[58]
still another strange encounter in the mid-80's was with M B who claimed that she was in the international arms business with her "well-connected" dad from Texarcana.

[59]
it is odd that Esalen sponsored Yeltsin's visit and also runs the Gorbachev Foundation since Yeltsin and Gorbachev are not on the best of terms.

[60]
excerpts from "The Nine, channelled by Jenny O'Conner" at Henry Dakin's laboratory 3118 Washington St. San Francisco on Monday July 30, 1979. Jim Hickman, Saul Paul Sirag, Roger Macdonald, Steve Donovan, Trever Alston, Russell Rae and others participating:

Saul-Paul asks Jenny "Have you ever interacted with Jacques Vallee?" Jenny says, "We were supposed to. We met Hal Puthoff..I met your friend." Dakin's transcript reads "discussion of Jack Sarfatti, and Jenny's meeting with him" The Nine then intervene speaking through Jenny "Main facilities Houston, Texas." [transcript incomplete here] Someone asks, "Any other facilities?". The Nine respond: "A total of 85." Roger Macdonald asks, "Any other extremely large, not as large as the facilities in Houston?" Michael Murphy's partner, Jim Hickman says: "There is NASA, but NASA isn't supposed to be with the military." The Nine says, "Wilmington ... Byrom, Little Hampshire, [ piece of transcript missing] The Mars Project, 1944, 1945, 1948." Roger Macdonald asks "What Agency or department of the United States is the Mars Project?" The Nine, "NSS" Saul-Paul says "It could be some Navy thing." The Nine, "You called it National Security Service. They called it just the SS." Saul Paul says, "Secret Service?" Jim Hickman says, "I can believe that." Hickman asks, "You talked about Project Henry ..." The Nine, "All CIA involved." Hickman, "All?", The Nine, "Yes". later on in transcript Hickman says "... Solvitschg'otsk, which is north east of Moscow, where a great deal of secret military research is being done. The Nine, "This facility is highly armed and Soviet's most important work goes on there. Room B12." Jenny, like Barbarella, takes over her own mind and says, "Can I ask you about .... and hooking up with the brainwave machine?"

[61]
member of Institute U.S. & Canada(IUSC) and First Secretary, Soviet Embassy, Washington.

[62]
Chairman, Ideology & Politics, IUSC

[63]
Chairman, Internal Politics, IUSC

[64]
Vice-Chairman, State Committee TV& Radio, USSR Council of Ministers,

[65]

[66]

[67]
Oddly enough, a novel called Speed of Light was published in Berkeley in the late 70's by a woman. The plot was similar to the Brewer story and it involved a character resemblingWerner Erhard.

[68]
Chipman started funding my work in 1985. He said he had secretly funded part of the SRI work in remote viewing. He also introduced me to V. He was involved with a Texas Company TLC and a man named Joe Peeple's who was indicted for selling arms to Iran in the mid-80's.
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations