Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Postby American Dream » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am

undead wrote:
American Dream wrote:The biggest concern I can think of is that "sting operations" (i.e. entrapment) may be much more common and on a much higher level than commonly understood.

The implications of this are incredibly important.
[/size]

Well this is basically the MO for all of the War on Terror as well as the narco-conflict in the Americas, right? Flood everywhere with drugs (using the products of pharmaceutical and chemical companies), keep track of everything, and use that information to take out potential threats. Same thing with guns, as in the Fast and Furious momentary exposure incident. Except for the guns its more just letting the various players wipe themselves out. Like selling weapons to Iraq and Iran simultaneously. Or supporting Moktada Sadr one year against "sunni extremists" or "Baathists", and then the next year calling him the king terrorist after he gains too much power.

There is a conspiracy to control the world with drugs that is dictated from the highest levels of the government and beyond. But this is evident from a lot of other incidents, and this is just another point on that list. Except this has to do with hallucinogens, which makes it different and suggests that MKULTRA / ARTICHOKE is still active. I agree that people need to know this. It's too bad that most people just can't conceive of it, or at least the details. It's easy to conceive of a centralized conspiracy to control everything - I think a lot of people are having that thought now with the economic crisis. But how deep it really goes - most people just can't understand, or if they can they don't want to know.

So the Pickard case suggests that high-level set-ups in the psychedelic underground may be much more common than generally known. This is important because the compelling power of these substances can imbue people with not only a sense of blissful oneness and divine purpose but also of invulnerability. So real cautions are in order, including within the upper reaches of the psychedelic community.

I'm certainly not suggesting that everyone who knew Pickard was dirty by any means but I will point out that his ties included not just people in MAPS, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, but also the Heffter Research Institute (another pro-Entheogenic group), Dennis McKenna, Brotherhood of Eternal Love chemist Tim Scully, and the psychedelic illuminati who attended John Weir Perry's Psychonaut gatherings in Marin County, California.

Foremost among those psychedelic illuminati, at least for my purposes here, is Alexander "Sasha Shulgin", inventor of many, many novel psychedelic compounds, as well as quite a few not-so-novel compounds. Mr. Shulgin- who enjoyed a long professional relationship with the US Drug Enforcement Agency and had a sanction from them to run his own drug labs making illegal drugs (for the DEA's investigational purposes only)- seems to have invented STP whilst working at Dow Chemical in the 60's. Shulgin seems to have had some sort of underground relationship with the chemists of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love and by 1967, Owsley had the full synthesis and was field testing the drug on the youth of California- with very problematic results!

Sasha Shulgin also chose to get in close with the ruling elite by joining up with Bohemian Grove- as did Bob Weir and Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead, for whatever that's worth. There can be no doubt that Shulgin sees real value in psychedelic drugs and personally enjoys them. However, just as is the case for Pickard and for Skinner, actually using, liking manufacturing and/or distributing psychedelic drugs is no guarantee that one is therefore completely apart from the dangerous and confusing world of deep power politics and elite conspiracy...
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for the thread AD

AD, sorry but I find a disconnect between your depth of knowledge and the conclusions that you seem to derive from that knowledge. Perhaps I am being nit picky, but if what you really want to say is more along the lines of; ‘actually manufacturing and distributing psychedelic drugs is pretty much a guarantee that one is a part of the dangerous and confusing world of deep power and elite conspiracy’, it would be a more defensible and clear assertion.

I am with you here AD and am only suggesting that you dispense with PC sensitivities because that kind of thing can make for some real klunky sentences.

However, just as is the case for Pickard and for Skinner, actually using, liking manufacturing and distributing psychedelic drugs is no guarantee that one is therefore completely apart from the dangerous and confusing world of deep power and elite conspiracy...

Quite the opposite one might more likely think. Remember the opium wars, hell civilization is built on drugs, of course the governors of ment ality are all over the case on this issue. Who would suggest otherwise?

Feeling a bit pedantic myself now, oh well, it’s written so it will get posted. (It could be that I react badly to hidden double negatives.)
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby American Dream » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Sounder wrote:Thanks for the thread AD

AD, sorry but I find a disconnect between your depth of knowledge and the conclusions that you seem to derive from that knowledge. Perhaps I am being nit picky, but if what you really want to say is more along the lines of; ‘actually manufacturing and distributing psychedelic drugs is pretty much a guarantee that one is a part of the dangerous and confusing world of deep power and elite conspiracy’, it would be a more defensible and clear assertion.

I am with you here AD and am only suggesting that you dispense with PC sensitivities because that kind of thing can make for some real klunky sentences.

However, just as is the case for Pickard and for Skinner, actually using, liking manufacturing and distributing psychedelic drugs is no guarantee that one is therefore completely apart from the dangerous and confusing world of deep power and elite conspiracy...

Quite the opposite one might more likely think. Remember the opium wars, hell civilization is built on drugs, of course the governors of ment ality are all over the case on this issue. Who would suggest otherwise?

Feeling a bit pedantic myself now, oh well, it’s written so it will get posted. (It could be that I react badly to hidden double negatives.)

If my conclusions seem a bit vague- that's because they are. I can't really say who got busted 20 years ago and then got on board with deep power vs. who informed but then tried to run their own game in the shadows. Can't say if and when certain elements of the Cryptocracy were all about social engineering vs. if and when they came over to other agenda such as secret bank accounts, the War on Drugs, individual profiteering, or even starry-eyed hippiedom.

Speaking of starry-eyed hippiedom, I can't say how much this may influence any of the individuals mentioned upthread, even if they pursue relationships with various alphabet soup agencies.

So rather than speculate too much beyond the data- or even worse, present that speculation as fact- I'll present the data, let it be known that I think something stinks here but also let it be known that there's a lot that's uncertain too....
American Dream

Postby undead » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm

American Dream wrote:However, just as is the case for Pickard and for Skinner, actually using, liking manufacturing and/or distributing psychedelic drugs is no guarantee that one is therefore completely apart from the dangerous and confusing world of deep power politics and elite conspiracy...

Nobody is completely separate from the dangerous and confusing world of elite conspiracy. It touches everyone on the planet. Anyone who works in industry or as a scientist is part of it. So to manufacture that much LSD you would necessarily need those kind of connections. So one question to ask is: should that much LSD even be manufactured, in whose interest, and why? We could have done without this operation. There would still be LSD, just going to different people, not as fucked up as the burning man crowd, which was their main market.

Have often wondered about Shulgin because his various chemicals are responsible for a lot of bullshit, and there are some highly dangerous and damaging amphetamine-like compounds derived from his work that are very often misrepresented as being LSD by very ignorant / malicious people.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby slomo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm

This may be somewhat off-topic, but earlier in this thread I announced that I believe in game theory as the underlying principle in this universe:

I reject both Buddhism and Marx, in favor of game theory: “This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games.” (William S. Burroughs).

If you believe that all matter has consciousness (as do I), then it follows that all matter engages in a game of one sort or another (lowering your energy state by trading electrons with your neighbors, getting enough high-energy organic matter from which to extract energy and thereby duplicate your genetic code, or fattening your asset portfolio so that you can maintain your posh lifestyle). It turns out that "love" and "forgiveness", as well as the formation of coalitions (molecules, colonies, packs, tribes, nation-states, whatever) are generally good strategies for "winning" whatever game you happen to be playing.

I have now just posted an news article about a recently published scientific paper that illuminates this idea in an interesting way.
slomo

Postby American Dream » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 pm

undead wrote:
Have often wondered about Shulgin because his various chemicals are responsible for a lot of bullshit, and there are some highly dangerous and damaging amphetamine-like compounds derived from his work that are very often misrepresented as being LSD by very ignorant / malicious people.

Yeah, some of these amphetamine-like compounds may evoke an experience that feels like a superficial or false revelation, like being trapped in a science fiction future where people escape their alienation and oppression by taking some sort of Soma-like substances (which do not enlighten them but do provide a momentary escape) as supplied from a mysterious lab run by who knows what interests but probably involving the Government...
Last edited by American Dream on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
American Dream

Postby Sounder » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 pm

It might be suggested that the greater the inherent or potential within a given aspect of reality, then the greater will be the effort spent in co-opting and re-branding that potential toward the interests of institutions.

As some jaded activist said; 'they are playing three-D chess while we are playing marbles'.

You are right about power slomo. Our analysis of power is crude and plays a role in our inability to 'figure out how to form the right strategies and coalitions to effectively manifest the desired change'.
Sounder

Postby Gnomad » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm

One should remember that anyone dealing with large amounts of banned, therefore hugely valuable, commodities, even when they are "entheogens", should be treated with suspicion and the supposition that they are in it for the money. Doing anything else is just plain stupid and asking for personal trouble. Anyone playing at those levels in the drugs game must have some proclivities for the criminal enterprise, and really nice people are probably quite rare.

Someone who grows mushrooms in their basement, or grows pot in the attic and sells to people they know is a whole other matter entirely. Those people too need to watch out for the more organized criminal types, people who would gladly break into their homes and steal all they have, and the cops.

Re: misrepresented acid, it seems to be all the rage these days. I pity the first timers who get something completely different, potentially dangerous or even deadly, from blithely unaware or unscrupulous dealers. There are several compounds that can fit on a blotter too, so its good to remember the old adage "if its bitter, its a spitter". Any bitter taste means it is not LSD, but some DOx compound (psychedelic amphetamines) or bromo-dragonfly (even worse - larger doses can cause gangrene and extreme blood vessel contraction in the extremities, and the effects can last for several days in the worst cases). Bromo-dfly is also one of the most potent compounds ever invented, active in sub-100 microgram doses, but stays active far longer than LSD. Not invented by Shulgin, this one.

Prohibiton is of course mostly to blame, since there is always a market for new stuff they haven't just yet banned, so they can be sold with less fear of punishment from the drug warriors for the time it takes to ban them completely. This makes people the test subjects, as there is of course scant information on any new substance.

slomo wrote:This may be somewhat off-topic, but earlier in this thread I announced that I believe in game theory as the underlying principle in this universe:

Sounds reasonable to me.
la nuit de tous approche
Gnomad

Postby Simulist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:05 am

slomo wrote:This may be somewhat off-topic, but earlier in this thread I announced that I believe in game theory as the underlying principle in this universe:

I reject both Buddhism and Marx, in favor of game theory: “This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games.” (William S. Burroughs).

If you believe that all matter has consciousness (as do I), then it follows that all matter engages in a game of one sort or another (lowering your energy state by trading electrons with your neighbors, getting enough high-energy organic matter from which to extract energy and thereby duplicate your genetic code, or fattening your asset portfolio so that you can maintain your posh lifestyle). It turns out that "love" and "forgiveness", as well as the formation of coalitions (molecules, colonies, packs, tribes, nation-states, whatever) are generally good strategies for "winning" whatever game you happen to be playing.

I have now just posted an news article about a recently published scientific paper that illuminates this idea in an interesting way.

This looks reasonable to me in addition to seeming likely, too.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby American Dream » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 pm

From an article by someone who lived with Owsley just as he was beginning to get involved with the acid business, and later joined him in some aspects of that business:

http://chanceofrain.com/wp-content/uplo ... %C2%A0.htm

Just how fortunate, we realized in January, 1964, when somebody moved out and all sorts of pensioners and bag ladies started answering the room for rent sign. Suddenly it looked as if our mellow scene was doomed, so when this guy in his late twenties checked out the room and started talking drugs within three minutes, we begged him to move in.

Forty-five minutes later, when he hadn’t stopped talking about drugs, we weren’t so sure he was cool. Not really tall, he had a sort of hulking manner anyhow, and a wary look, as if constantly planning an end run. We gathered that he was descended from an illustrious southern family – his full name, which he disliked and would legally shorten to “Owsley Stanley” in 1967, was Augustus Owsley Stanley III – and that he’d decided to go back to school after the breakup of his second marriage (and a subsequent legal scrape when he vengefully stole some credit cards from his ex-wife’s new boyfriend). But he had a more exotic perspective on himself. Sometimes he claimed to be a throwback to the carnivorous ape. Sometimes he boasted that, as a kid, he’d been at the same insane asylum as Ezra Pound.] [i.e St. Elizabeth's Hospital.]
[i.e St. Elizabeth's.]

From Russ Baker:

http://whowhatwhy.com/2011/12/13/the-mi ... -to-obama/
Now back to Dr. Torrey, the psychiatrist who told The Times that the recent White House shooter was likely schizophrenic. The following is from a Wikipedia entry on him:

He has been criticized by a range of people, including federal researchers and others for some of his attacks on de-institutionalization and his support for forced medication as a method of treatment. He has also been described as having a black-and-white view of mental illness and as beingiconoclastic, dogmatic, single-minded and a renegade.

It’s worth taking a look at St Elizabeth’s where Dr. Torrey once worked, and where [President Reagan shooter] Hinckley is being treated. It came under criticism in an investigation by the Justice Department for a wide variety of practices.

St Elizabeth’s is especially interesting for its strong connections to the military, intelligence agencies, and historical association with mind control experiments. Its director in the 1940s, Winfred Overholser, headed a “Truth Drug Committee” and oversaw extensive testing of mind-altering substances in association with the intelligence services. One goal was to see if false personalities could be imposed on victims to make them susceptible to commands. Such cooperation between St. Elizabeths and the government continued over the years. Currently, the Department of Homeland Security is converting much of St Elizabeth’s “campus”— which is only now partially used by the hospital—as its new headquarters. (For more on St. Elizabeths and its role in mind control and “personality profiling,” see the book Search for the Manchurian Candidate, by John Marks.)

And Back to the Owsley article:
It was the summer of 1967. I had quit my animal-caretaking job to devote all my time to playing oboe with the Tampai Gyentsen (Banner of the Faith) Tibetan Liturgical Orchestra. Owsley was changing his personal style every couple of weeks: sailorish garb, the Prince Valiant and so on. LSD had been illegal since October, 1966, and the raw materials were getting scarce. One day Owsley had showed me a letter from the Cyclo Chemical Company, which apologized that it wouldn’t be able to sell him any more raw lysergic acid. I remember laughing when I saw the name of the CEO who signed the letter: Dr. Milan Panic. Curiously, this was the same Milan Panic who would return to his home country of Serbia in the 1990s and become its president under prime minister Slobodan Milosevic.
[emphasis added]
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 am

It occurs to me that the article excerpted above should be posted in its entirety:

http://chanceofrain.com/wp-content/uplo ... %C2%A0.htm

Owsley and Me

By Charles Perry (Rolling Stone, Nov. 25, 1982)

In 1967, he was world-famous, as famous as you can get while refusing all contact with the news media. The Grateful Dead wrote a song about him. People who’d never met him talked about what a beautiful cat he was and wore buttons with his name on them.

It was a name to conjure with: Owsley. Owsley, the psychedelic guerrilla the narcs couldn’t catch, the heroic chemist whose LSD was the world standard of quality; Owsley, the Acid Millionaire. The newspapers called him “Mr. LSD.” Timothy Leary wrote of him as “the Alchemist.” Between 1965 and 1967 he made several million doses of LSD.

He was an astonishing phenomenon of the times, and nobody was more astonished than I was, because I’d known him long before he was a chemist. In fact, his career sort of started at my commune. It was while he was living with us in 1964 that he first took acid.

When I say “commune,” I’m calling it that in retrospect, because in 1964 nobody was using the word. It was just a crummy Berkeley rooming house where everybody turned out to be very simpatico and we started eating all our dinners together. But it actually did turn into a commune that fall, because I introduced everybody to LSD and it got too hard to keep track of who was chipping in on dinner and who wasn’t.

Dopers were a tiny minority in those days, even in college towns where drugs were becoming a sneaky fashion. Dope was hard to get – we were still buying grass by the half or even the quarter ounce, and psychedelics were in very short supply – so it was a paranoid, conspiratorial scene. Acidheads were nervous about walking around in public stoned, which didn’t make much sense, since LSD was still legal. Most dopers wasted a lot of energy worrying about whether their neighbors were suspicious of them, but we were fortunate to live in a house where everybody turned on.

Just how fortunate, we realized in January, 1964, when somebody moved out and all sorts of pensioners and bag ladies started answering the room for rent sign. Suddenly it looked as if our mellow scene was doomed, so when this guy in his late twenties checked out the room and started talking drugs within three minutes, we begged him to move in.

Forty-five minutes later, when he hadn’t stopped talking about drugs, we weren’t so sure he was cool. Not really tall, he had a sort of hulking manner anyhow, and a wary look, as if constantly planning an end run. We gathered that he was descended from an illustrious southern family – his full name, which he disliked and would legally shorten to “Owsley Stanley” in 1967, was Augustus Owsley Stanley III – and that he’d decided to go back to school after the breakup of his second marriage (and a subsequent legal scrape when he vengefully stole some credit cards from his ex-wife’s new boyfriend). But he had a more exotic perspective on himself. Sometimes he claimed to be a throwback to the carnivorous ape. Sometimes he boasted that, as a kid, he’d been at the same insane asylum as Ezra Pound.

Sometimes, in fact, our new roommate could be a little hard to take. His conversation was like a series of lectures: on the radar electronics he’d learned in the Air Force, the Russian grammar he’d studied when he was thinking of becoming a Russian Orthodox monk, the automotive technology he’d mastered while redesigning the engine of his MG. There were other obsessions too. When he moved into his room, he brought whole boxes full of weird stuff: ballet shoes, a complete beekeeper’s outfit, a painting in progress showing the arm of Christ on the cross, portrayed more or less from the Christ’s-eye viewpoint.

And he had all his theories to explain. Owsley was like the character in Naked Lunch who has “a theory on everything, like what kind of underwear is healthy.” He never ate dinner with us because he was an anti-vegetarian. He argued that since the human race is descended from carnivorous apes, our digestive system is designed for meat alone, and vegetables are slow poison. (He’d come to this theory after a vegetarian period, during which he’d started to lose his hair; it came back when he started staying away from veg.) Once, when he and I had smoked some hashish and developed a case of the blind munchies, all I had in my refrigerator was apple pie, and he accused me of trying to poison him. “I haven’t had any plant food in my system for years,” he groused between mouthfuls. “My digestion will be fucked up for a month.” (When you are in perfect health, he once explained, you pass “one firm, odorless stool every ten days.”)

Soap bubbles on the rooftop . . . events leading up to the powwow circle . . . eviction’s ugly face

The most surprising thing about Owsley was that this flagrant advocate for drugs had only been smoking grass for a couple of weeks when he moved in. He was making up for lost time, though. If you walked through the University of California campus with him, he’d be grabbing leaves and flowers and confiding in a paranoid hiss, “Horse chestnut leaves – they’ll get you high. Mullein leaves – get you high.” He had a huge stash of Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds, which contain an organic form of LSD along with some other organic stuff that gives you a million-year stomach ache. It ranked as a treasure trove, because the authorities had just gotten hip to the possibility of getting stoned on Heavenly Blues, and the seeds currently available in garden stores had all been denatured with something that made you even sicker. One of the first things Owsley did on moving into the commune was to order a rubber stamp reading “250 morning glory seeds . . . enough . . . $1,” and giving my phone number, because I was the only one in the commune with a phone. By the time he gleefully showed me this boss robber stamp he’d had made, he’d already stamped that message on every bulletin board on the Cal campus. Nobody ever called, though.

We were all novice acidheads, just entering the phase where you go questing for that world of vast, timeless reality-energy-bliss that LSD suggests is . . . well, here and now, actually, only at the same time it’s just around some indescribable corner. So we were listening to sitar records and reading about Zen and blowing soap bubbles on the rooftop and in general keeping an eye peeled for indescribable corners.

Owsley was furiously trying every mind-affecting drug he could find mentioned in the chemical literature. He tried LSD along the line, of course. We didn’t happen to have any, so he scored some through a crazy little waif we knew as the Speed Freak Heiress. But though he was enthusiastic about LSD, his reaction was curiously mild in light of what was to come.

One day he asked me, “Charlie, what do you think about spikes?”

I had to think for a second to recall that a spike was a hypodermic needle. “Uh, they’re wrong,” I said. “If God had meant you to take that drug, he’d have given you an orifice for it.”

“Thanks,” said Owsley. “I’m glad I could talk with you about it. I was wondering because I saw some people shooting methedrine today.”

Uh-oh, I thought, he’s still hanging out with the Speed Freak Heiress. Legend had it that her parents had once given her a mink coat in an attempt to reawaken her true sense of values, but she’d proceeded to wear it inside out so she could feel the fur against her skin. That was the squalid sort of life I associated with methedrine use, and I was glad I’d steered Owsley away from it.

The next day he had some more ideas about methedrine. He’d observed that meth freaks, whether out of greed or foolhardiness, seemed to make a point of keeping the needle in their veins until the last possible drop of geeze was punched in, even though that meant a repeated risk of embolism, that very dangerous situation of having a bubble of air in your bloodstream. Owsley’s theory was that speed freaks were probably giving themselves embolisms all the time – tiny ones, not big enough to cause heart failure, but big enough to make for little spots of brain damage.

And that’s why speed freaks had such spotty memories. That was why they were so freaky. Speed itself wasn’t at fault. No! Speed was . . . a tool!

So now, on top of all the other difficulties of having Owsley for a roommate, we had to put up with Owsley the amphetamine enthusiast, running around the commune at all hours, racing downstairs to ride his motorcycle at 3:30 a.m. Wherever you turned, there he’d be, trying to cajole you into a taste of dimethyl amphetamine or his favorite cocktail of dimeth and methedrine.

It got so bad we held secret meetings to consider how to get rid of him. After all, we had a groovy little scene here. Lots of people wanted to room with us, particularly this math student we knew. Somehow Owsley got wind of the plans and came tearfully pleading with us to let him stay and making out the other guy to be a bigger speed dealer than himself (which turned out to be true). We were kind of ashamed of ourselves and dropped the plans.

But there was still a lot of disapproval in the air, so to heal the philosophical breach with his friends, inside the commune and out, Owsley proposed that everybody give methedrine an honest trial. So one day a big powwow circle of 15 or 20 people gathered in his room and geezed up in a spirit of fair play.

It so happened that our landlord was a lonely Chinese bachelor who used to wander upstairs from time to time and make painful attempts at conversation. He chose this particular afternoon to stand in Owsley’s doorway and try one of his great conversational gambits – “Ah, nice weather we been having, ah?” was the one, I believe – on the powwow circle, which instantly turned into a huddle of teeth-grinding paranoids with eyes pingponging back and forth between the landlord and the damning pile of hypodermic needles in the middle of the floor.

After nobody would even agree that the weather had been nice, the landlord awkwardly excused himself and went back downstairs. Now the powwow circle was really paranoid, but Owsley was on top of things. “No,” he said, the light of inspiration in his eyes. “No, he’s not calling the police. He just realized we had something . . . beautiful here . . . and he was too shy to ask in! I’ll go offer to turn him on!” So we didn’t have to get rid of Owsley after all. The landlord evicted him on the spot.

By this time, Owsley had already dropped out of college and taken a job as a technician at KGO-TV in San Francisco. His conversational obsessions had narrowed to chemistry and particularly the synthesis of alkaloids. He’d also picked up a new girlfriend, a better class of chick in my opinion than he’d been getting with his motorcycle stud routine. She was a chemistry grad student named Melissa Cargill, a cute little honeybee with tender intellectual eyes whom he’d met one day while doing some unauthorized messing around in the Cal chem labs. In three days flat he pried her away from a boyfriend who smoked a pipe and wore tweed jackets with leather elbow patches and changed her mind about going on in grad school.

Bear Research Group founded . . . Owsley sues the state of California . . .

first LSD and freakout

I didn’t see Owsley for a couple of weeks after he moved out. I graduated from Cal and moved out of the commune myself. When I next ran into him, he showed me some stationery he’d had printed up for a fictitious Bear Research Group, through which he was going to order chemicals from the supply houses. It turned out I was part of his plan, because I’d just taken a job tending rats in the Psychology Department’s animal labs. In case some chemical company decided to inspect the Bear Research Group, where this research on “the effect of methedrine on the cortisone metabolism of rats” was supposedly going on, he wanted me to bring a dozen rat cages over to his place and stand around in my white lab coat.

Frankly, I hoped he’d never test our palship by calling on that favor. I didn’t want anything to do with his current scene, which consisted of hanging around with some truly sordid speed freaks, such as a guy who’d stand around all evening jerkily leafing through nudist magazines – front to back, back to front, front to back again – muttering, “Process. It’s all process,” while the other speed freaks in the room argued about who was alerting the police they imagined to be watching their every move by casting a shadow on the window shade.

I did drop by once in a while, though. I liked Owsley. He could be overbearing, sure, but it wasn’t ill-inspired – he wasn’t a bully. There was always something disinterested and nobly intentioned in his relentless enthusiasms.

And his ideas were never boring. For instance: Einstein’s theories imply that gravity is a function of matter, right? And it has been proposed, on a principle of symmetry, that there is an antiuniverse parallel to our own, made up of antimatter, right? What would happen if you transported some antimatter to this universe – and instantly sent it back, of course, before there was a cataclysmic explosion – many times a second? Why, gravity would be annulled in the area! Who knows what kind of machine could do this transporting of antimatter to our universe and back? Who knows, indeed, what strange circuits are locked away in the 90% of the human brain that is ordinarily unused?

And what could be the key to this antigravity machine in our minds? Might it be something as simple as the mandala-like pattern in a Persian rug . . . or flying carpet?

Owsley and Melissa were practically neighbors of mine at this time. I was living about three blocks from the “Green Factory,” the sprawling green house at Virginia and McGee streets where he said he was making methedrine. One night a friend of Owsley’s who’d been crashing there knocked at my door. On his way home from a folk music coffee house, he’d noticed that something looked wrong about the Green Factory. He thought it might have been busted.

We walked by the place. No sign of Billy, the guy who was supposed to be minding the place for Owsley while he was out of town. We picked up another of Owsley’s friends and debated what to do. As the only respectably employed member of the group, I was elected to call the police and find out whether Billy had been arrested – a dimwit ordeal of the time which involved asking the cops whether they’d arrested somebody while strenuously trying to give the impression that the very idea was unthinkable. Yes indeed, Billy was in jail, and the Green Factory had been raided.

We got hold of Melissa, who reflected for about a minute and a half before pouring a pound or so of methedrine down a Berkeley storm drain with the cheerful resignation she could always summon in a pinch. Owsley, however, would not prove resigned at all. When he got back to town, he had to face charges of operating a drug laboratory, but he was openly defiant during the trial. And once he got the case thrown out – though it was clearly a meth lab, couldn’t be described as anything else, in fact, the cops hadn’t found any actual methedrine there – he sued the state of California for the return of his lab equipment. It was his, and he meant to use it.

Owsley was through fooling around, by God. He and Melissa disappeared to Los Angeles for a few weeks to set up a new lab. It was not another meth lab. As a matter of fact, speed was becoming a matter of boredom and irritation with Owsley, and he was to become a vocal disparager of amphetamines. No, when he came back to Berkeley in April, 1965, what he claimed to have made was, to everybody’s surprise, LSD. I was skeptical. But what the hell – in those days, we’d take any damn pill; once I dropped three tabs I later found out were penicillin. Sure, I said, I’d try the “LSD”-dosed vitamin pill he handed me with one of his conspiratorial dope smiles.

I casually dropped it the next Sunday, and godalmighty it was LSD. In about 40 minutes I was two-dimensional, fading into the wall of the World Womb, which turned into the wall of an Egyptian tomb, and I was a painting of an ancient Egyptian on a tomb wall with hieroglyphics sprouting from my elbows and knees and disappearing down the wall too fast for my two-dimensional eyes to read. Now I had to face the basic question of the Sixties: “OK, I’m high – is it fun?” On some trips, that could be a tough call, but this time . . . no, it was clearly not fun. It was panicky. I walked a mile and a half to find a friend from the old commune to talk me down.

The next day I told Owsley I’d turned into a wall painting. “Oh, that’s right,” he said. “You had one of those first ones. Hey, they were too heavy. You should have only taken half.”

Owsley’s Valley Forge . . . the Sun King of Berkeley . . . Owsley as Obi-Wan

There was already a lot of psychedelic or proto-psychedelic ferment in the San Francisco area. Folk musicians, who were soon to prove so adept at writing music of, by and for acidheads, were following Bob Dylan’s lead in abandoning the acoustic guitar for the electric. The first local folk-rock band made its debut at a kind of hippie nightclub in Virginia City, Nevada; Owsley’s acid was there on opening night. His LSD showed up in all the Bay Area coffeehouses and all of San Francisco’s hip neighborhoods, where the coolest dudes were walking around in three-piece Edwardian suits from the secondhand stores, wearing rimless glasses with yellow-tinted lenses the size of quarters. They started having rock dances at the Fillmore Auditorium and the Avalon Ballroom; Owsley was there, too. The novelist Ken Kesey started putting on public LSD parties called Acid Tests – LSD was still legal – and Owsley got himself instated as official donor of acid.

He started flying back to New York for strategy sessions with Timothy Leary at Leary’s home in Millbrook. “Leary may be the king in this little chess game,” he confided to me one day, “but what nobody realizes is that I’m the rogue queen.” His personal style – maverick, purist, aggressive – started having an impact on the psychedelic scene. LSD chemists had always been cautious, small-thinking men content to make a little acid and stay out of sight. Owsley, by contrast, had big plans: to make the strongest LSD and to make it in unprecedented quantities. By the summer of 1965 he already had the raw materials to make 1.5 million doses. When his strong, consistent LSD flooded the market, it had the effect of a munitions factory opening at Valley Forge. Not only did it get a lot of people high, it encouraged the idea of big projects. It gave a big shot in the arm to the boldness, the public outrageousness, that distinguished San Francisco acidheads from the yoga-studying, indoor-tripping acids in other parts of the country.

Owsley had a personal campaign to turn on musicians, whom he considered the key element of the psychedelic revolution. He was always backstage at the Fillmore and the Avalon trying to get them on his psychedelic wavelength. I even heard about a time when he chatted with Earl Scruggs, the bluegrass banjoist, using his best good-old-boy Southern manner, and then startled Scruggs by offering him LSD. On another occasion he returned from New York crowing that he’d met “Bobby Dylan,” and that Dylan hadn’t gotten upset “until I mentioned acid.” Somebody who was there at the time later told me how it went: He introduced himself by saying, “Hi, Bob, I’m Owsley. Want some acid?” and Dylan responded, “Who is this freak? Get him out of here!”

Characteristically, he got involved in rock and roll on the technical level. He gave $10,000 worth of electronic equipment to the Acid Test house band, which had just taken the name Grateful Dead. It was an unheard-of thing to do at the time, treating that low-class rock music as if it deserved hi-fi speakers and amps. He also started recording every Grateful Dead performance using inscrutable techniques of his own, such as mixing the sound with the aid of an oscilloscope.

For some months in 1965 and early 1966, Owsley was shuttling back and forth between his L.A. lab (where the Grateful Dead lived for a while) and Berkeley. As for me, after my near freak-out on Owsley’s first acid I’d decided I didn’t want to live alone anymore, so I started to room with some friends from the old Berkeley Way commune, including the chick who’d talked me down. When we moved out of her barn-like cottage on Berkeley Way, Owsley – who’d crashed there off and on himself – rented the cottage and settled there.

It was then that I started getting and idea of how much money he was making. Every afternoon, after he had arisen and taken an hour-long shower, a regular retinue of petitioners would present themselves like serfs pleading for boons from the king. I can still see Owsley there, listening warily but regally to their requests, enthroned in the nude on a huge fur-covered chair, drying his hair with the royal hairdryer.

One of his favorite pastimes was to take his indigent old friends out to dinner – to places, of course, that wouldn’t clutter up his plate with poisonous vegetables – and pay with the roll of $20 and $100 bills he kept in his boot. His favorite restaurant was Original Joe’s in San Francisco, where the steak was so good Owsley was convinced the chef had to be an acidhead. If Joe’s was closed, he’d take everybody to a Doggie Diner stand, order a double burger, extract the meat patties and eat them. Then he’d crumple up the bun, drop it on the table with a dull thud and announce to the world at large, “That’s what you’ve just put in you stomachs.”

Or he’d take us to a fancy seafood place in Berkeley. Once he assembled such a weird group there – I remember a huge black guy who ran with the Hell’s Angels and a hyper-intense guitarist who was showing everybody how his fingertips were bleeding after eight hours of sitar practice – that a lady came over to get our autographs for her daughter, convinced that we had to be a rock band, she couldn’t think of our name but her daughter would kill her if she didn’t get the autographs.

One time, it happened that I was the only one going along with Owsley to dinner. We couldn’t get into his regular seafood place, so we went to a marginally less fancy one up the block. When his order of oysters came, though, Owsley declared them inedible --the “gizzards” had been sliced into when they’d been opened. He lectured the waiter on the correct way to open an oyster and the general disregard for quality in our age. The waiter got the maitre d’, and they brought out the chef. The owner even came out, and all four of them stood in a row to be lectured. The problem, Owsley told them, was that they evidently didn’t have the right kind of oyster knife. “My business often takes me to New York,” he said (I momentarily blanched, since LSD had just become illegal), “and I’d be glad to get you a proper knife.”

A new plate of oysters was brought out, but Owsley declared that the gizzards had again been cut. Again he returned it, repeating his lecture to the waiter, and a third plate was brought. Again the gizzards had been cut. When a fourth plate of oysters was sent to the table, he pronounced that only a few of the gizzards had been cut this time, and he would eat the oysters lest he be thought a troublesome customer. There was also a problem with the pot of tea, something having to do with Owsley’s instruction that it be served “Russian style.”

A year later, Owsley and I happened to go for dinner again and wound up in the same place. “Mister Stanley,” said the maitre d’, his eyes narrowing as he smiled. “I remember you.” Owsley again ordered oysters and again sent them back.

One thing about Owsley: He was never afraid to be conspicuous. He had already adopted the turquoise-belt finery that border patrolmen would later call “the dealer look.” His theory was that cops don’t register outrageousness, only the furtive attempt to be inconspicuous, so if you don’t give paranoia an inch, you’ll never get busted. Of course, it helps to have nerves of steel, which Owsley certainly had. More than once I saw him hypnotize a suspicious Highway Patrolman with his absolute confidence that the officer couldn’t possibly be looking for him. It was like the scene in Star Wars where Obi-Wan Kenobi bollixes an Imperial Stormtrooper. (“These aren’t the acidheads you want. They can go.”)

Manufacturing and marketing practices of the Bear Research Group . . .

Troll House days

One day he told me, with justifiable pride, “My name is a household word in London and New York.” It was true. LSD was all over the avant-garde circuit by late 1966, and Owsley’s acid was the undisputed standard of the industry. For a while, he ran around with two little vials of crystalline LSD, one a pale straw color and the other, as he put it, “pure fluffy white”; guess which LSD was made by the Sandoz chemical company and which came from the Bear Research Group. Early on, rival dealers were claiming to sell “genuine Owsley,” and Owsley took some interesting steps to deal with this.

In the beginning, he had sold acid in powdered form, ready for packing in gelatin capsules or, if you preferred, already capped. He also sold it in liquid form suitable for dosing sugar cubes with an eyedropper. The liquid form was tinted pale blue, the exact shade of Wisk laundry detergent, so you could keep it in a carefully cleaned out Wisk bottle. If you were a prudent acid dealer, you always had a duffel bag full of dirty laundry in your back seat to legitimize your Wisk bottle containing 4000 hits of acid. (“Yes, officer, have you tried new, improved Wisk?”)

In 1966, Owsley stole a march on his competition by buying a pill press and making the first illicitly manufactured LSD tablets in history. That first press made irregular-looking pills that were sort of like the tubes of paper that build up in a paper punch (they were nicknamed “barrels”), but then he got a professional pill press that made pharmaceutical-style pills with a hairline crack so you could split them in half.

And finally, to keep the counterfeiters off his trail for good, he began injecting each new batch with food coloring. I distinctly remember pink, green, purple, orange and brown as well as white tabs (the famous White Lightnings that were handed out by the thousands at the Human Be-In celebration in January, 1967). At one point, when he was on the outs with the Grateful Dead, he started hanging around with a band called Blue Cheer and helped publicize them by putting out a line of blue-tinted LSD.

Some writers have described LSD tablets with Batman or Marvel Comics characters on him, but I never saw any, and frankly, considering Owsley’s equipment, I can’t imagine how he could have made them; I suspect some hippies were just having a little fun with the reporters. I would not put the idea of Spider-Man acid beyond Owsley, though. He was heavily into Marvel Comics and insisted that we call his hulking old red truck “the Dreaded Dormammu,” after the megalomaniacal villain of Dr. Strange comics.

I never worked in any of Owsley’s labs. I didn’t have the time, because I was still holding down my animal caretaking job, and working in an acid lab could take a week or ten days out of your life. LSD is an incredibly powerful substance. A single gram of the pure drug can supply 4000 trips, and a little white speck you could barely see is enough to kill you. Once the LSD is synthesized, the most important job is to grind it exceedingly fine and then disperse it evenly in an inert medium such as dextrose. (Fortunately – or naturally, as it seemed to us -- LSD fluoresces under ultra-violet light, making even dispersal easy). After it’s dispersed, you can put it in capsules or make it into tablets.

The problem with all these jobs – grinding, dispersing, capping and tabbing – is that LSD would always get on your skin and into your lungs, and inevitably you’d be stoned. Nothing seemed to prevent it, not even scuba suits. Eventually, the people who worked in the labs decided not to bother with any precautions and just worked until they couldn’t concentrate any longer. Then they’d go wait out the eight or ten hours of the acid trip in a “cooling-off chamber,” get some sleep and go to work again. After a week or so of working on and off around the clock, half-gooned most of the time, the job would be done and Owsley would pay each worker with a couple of hundred tabs of acid apiece.

He once outlined his distribution plans to me. He would have one principal dealer in every market, who would only sell the acid to street dealers on the condition that they would resell it at no more than $2 per hit. Eventually he planned to make LSD available at 25 cents a hit. I don’t know how this marketing plan worked out in practice, but at least in rough outline it did seem to work that way in California and some East Coast cities. In Los Angeles, he had two dealers. One was for the Hollywood-Beverly Hills-Sunset Strip crowd. According to rumor, the other dealer – a black guy who was living with a Unitarian minister’s daughter – was chosen because Owsley hoped he would get LSD into the black community. Actually, I don’t think he ever dealt to anybody but Pasadena hippies, but he was a heck of a nice guy.

I’ve heard it said that Owsley was a master at calculating when the market could use more product and, conversely, that he would have had a lot more acid on the market if his manufacturing or distribution had been better organized. For what it’s worth, Owsley has told me that he released a new batch of acid whenever he was curious about what the result would be, as one might water a strange plant at different intervals to see how it grows: “I would sit back and wait, and sure enough, ten days or two weeks after a batch went out, there would be a whole rash of new developments in the Haight-Ashbury.”

He ascribed this reaction to the psychic effect of LSD, which I don’t doubt, but there was an economic effect as well. Acid was now big business. Owsley demanded to be paid in $100 bills, nothing larger or smaller. Sometimes when a new batch came out, there wouldn’t be a $100 bill to be found in any bank within 60 miles of San Francisco. When a new batch arrived, the dealers would have lots of money, and since everybody figured the money would keep rolling in like this forever, they were throwing some of their profit into shops, theaters, rock bands, publications and so on. Owsley himself contributed money or quantities of acid to Haight-Ashbury institutions such as the psychedelic newspaper The Oracle, the anarchist theater group known as the Diggers (who were famous for giving out free food in Golden Gate Park) and the free publishing company called the Communication Company, which placed its mimeographs at the disposal of anybody who wanted to print something and pass it out on Haight Street.

Sometime in the spring of 1967, Owsley moved into an ultra-quaint cottage on Valley Street in Berkeley and filled it with Persian rugs, hi-fi equipment, Indian fabrics, Tibetan wall hangings, pillows, hash pipes, musical instruments made by his personal guitar maker and all sorts of electronic toys, such as ultraviolet lamps and strobe lights. He’d decided that Melissa’s totem animal was the owl, so he got her a pet owl that was always escaping from its cage. My supposed professional skills as an animal caretaker were often called on to lure the bird back to its cage.

The Troll House, as some people called it, was a regular stopover for the transcontinental psychedelic elite, from Richard Alpert (later known as Baba Ram Dass) to out-of-town rock musicians. There was usually somebody trying to sleep on the pillow-strewn floor while the 24-hour-a-day party lurched along. I dropped by every week or so to see the latest wrinkle: ether-extracted THC, the advance copy of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band or whatever.

A whole raft of new psychedelics

and several trips up Butterscotch Creek without a mind

It was the summer of 1967. I had quit my animal-caretaking job to devote all my time to playing oboe with the Tampai Gyentsen (Banner of the Faith) Tibetan Liturgical Orchestra. Owsley was changing his personal style every couple of weeks: sailorish garb, the Prince Valiant and so on. LSD had been illegal since October, 1966, and the raw materials were getting scarce. One day Owsley had showed me a letter from the Cyclo Chemical Company, which apologized that it wouldn’t be able to sell him any more raw lysergic acid. I remember laughing when I saw the name of the CEO who signed the letter: Dr. Milan Panic. Curiously, this was the same Milan Panic who would return to his home country of Serbia in the 1990s and become its president under prime minister Slobodan Milosevic.

But Owsley confided to me that the new laws against LSD wouldn’t make any difference. “We’ve got a whole raft of new psychedelics,” he crowed in his peculiarly cagey way, “and they’re gonna have to make each one illegal separately. We’re gonna keep ’em running for years, and by that time, everybody will have been turned on!” Once everybody had been turned on, as all acidheads knew, history would be a whole new ball game.

These new drugs were chemically related to both methedrine and mescaline, the psychedelic found in peyote cactus. The first one Owsley marketed was 2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine, which picked up the nickname STP. I took an STP tab one Saturday and got so stoned that for three days it made no difference whether my eyes were opened or closed, I was seeing the same things. In fact, there was no difference between anything and anything else, except that sounds were like wood shavings curling in freeze-frame motion, while smells were more like subtly different levels of vibration with smoke coming out of them.

I told Owsley that this stuff had turned the world into a river of butterscotch for three days running. “Oh, that’s right,” he said, in almost the same words I’d heard after guinea-pigging his first LSD. “You had one of those pink ones. Hey, they were too heavy. You should have only taken half.”

STP flopped in the market. Not many people, it seemed, had three days at a time to spend in the butterscotch dimension, and there were a lot of freak-outs. Alas, it never got publicized that Owsley had a second purpose in mind for STP. In the Haight-Ashbury, by then a teeming Calcutta of hippie dopers, methedrine was making a resurgence to the detriment of the psychedelic mood. As a reformed speeder who had totally turned against amphetamines, Owsley hoped STP would wean speeders toward a more spiritual trip. His theory was that if you took only 1/16 of a tab, you would get something like an amphetamine lift without the ugly speediness.

I tried it once when I needed to stay awake driving back from Los Angeles to Berkeley. Around Gorman, about an hour out of L.A., I started feeling funny and stopped off at a gas station. When I looked in the bathroom mirror, I saw that my right pupil was huge and my left one was tiny; then the right pupil contracted and the left pupil dilated. They were alternating size like that every five or ten seconds.

Owsley falls at last . . . How to cope with prison . . . Of stereo & a vexed mix

Owsley had somehow managed to avoid the police since the Green Factory bust. They seemed to realize that here was no ordinary dope chemist. In fact, when I got busted for grass with an old friend of his, I discovered that Owsley had the vice-mayor of Berkeley on retainer as his attorney. In the late spring of 1967, Owsley had gotten busted while driving away from Leary’s place in Millbrook, but that was just a blunder-bust, a case of some New York highway cops stumbling onto a trunk full of dope, and the charge didn’t stick.

But there was no denying that the narcs were on his trail. One day a bunch of us dropped by the workshop of Owsley’s favorite glass blower, who was about to retire and literally sail around the world on the money Owsley was paying him for some highly specialized lab equipment, and the guy casually remarked, “Oh, Owsley, some federal agents were by here the other day showing me photos of you and asking whether I’d ever seen this person. They were rather good likenesses. You were in them too,” he added, nodding toward one of my roommates.

Finally, in December of 1967, with the Haight-Ashbury experiment collapsed into a monstrous stew of methedrine, heroin and strong-arm crime, the narcs finally got Owsley. The guy I’d gotten busted for grass with was living with a chick from the old commune who was dancing topless in a San Francisco bar. Convention seemed to decree that a topless dancer’s boyfriend should be a dealer; he got a job in Owsley’s lab and started dealing the LSD he got paid in.

Unfortunately, he dealt to one of the narcs who’d had Owsley under surveillance for the preceding 14 months. On December 21, 1967, federal narcotics agents entered Owsley’s current lab and arrested him along with Melissa, this hapless dealer and two other friends of mine. Owsley was in a spitting rage. He was making all his drugs to FDA standards of purity, he protested; why weren’t the cops out arresting criminals? The San Francisco Chronicle ran a fine dramatic photo of the police leading Owsley away in handcuffs, defiant and resentful.

Everything had started to change. My Tibetan orchestra had fallen apart. The psychedelic revolution wasn’t panning out. I gravitated toward a pitifully small but energetic newspaper called Rolling Stone, which occupied an unused corner of a San Francisco printer’s loft. After a couple of months, I realized, to my surprise, that I was now a journalist.

Owsley was just beginning a five-year legal ordeal. While his LSD lab case was dragging through the courts, he got busted for marijuana a couple of times, once in New Orleans with the Grateful Dead and once in Oakland when a landlord finked on him while he was sluggishly vacating an apartment he’d been evicted from. Eventually, he was sent to prison for two years, serving part of his sentence at Terminal Island Federal Correctional Institution in Los Angeles and part at Lompoc Federal Penitentiary near Santa Barbara.

Lompoc isn’t so bad, as prisons go. It’s a white-collar jail; some of the Watergate conspirators served time there. It reminded me of my high school campus, except that you couldn’t go home after sixth period.

The first time I visited Owsley there, I had to wait almost to the end of the visitors’ hour. The guards weren’t surprised; they were accustomed to inmate Stanley’s peculiarities. Finally he arrived, out of breath, with a belt buckle he’d started making for me when my name was announced over the loudspeakers. It was quite striking: a lion’s head (since I’m a Leo, I’m told) boldly composed of drops of molten brass.

Owsley not only had a jewelry lab in prison but all sorts of hi-fi and electronic equipment as well. The prison authorities were too damnably narrow-minded to provide such things, so he had been obliged to have them all smuggled in – out on the visitors’ lawn for the smaller things and under a pew in the chapel for big stuff like tape decks. The joke around Lompoc was that when Owsley was released, he’d have to leave in a Bekins van.

The second time I visited him, I actually brought him some little piece of electronic equipment he needed, I forget what it was. But this time my visit was business. Rolling Stone wanted an interview with Owsley. Owsley, however, had always fought shy of reporters, and the proposal needed a lot of discussing.

It seemed that while Owsley was in jail, Janis Joplin had died and a memorial album of her live performances had been put together, including three tracks recorded by Owsley. He had been paid – no complaint on that score. But he had recorded Janis according to his own theories about stereo (voices in one channel, instruments in the other), and Columbia Records had remixed the three tracks into conventional stereo for the Joplin in Concert album. He wasn’t after more money, he emphasized. He simply wanted the record company to recall the albums and reissue them with his original mix of the three tracks. Columbia, however, was ignoring all his letters.

So before Owsley could consider granting Rolling Stone an interview, the paper would have to show its bona fides by planting a news item suggesting that “word was out on the street” that there was “something funny” about the stereo separation on some tracks of Joplin in Concert. We found a DJ who was willing to say there was something funny about anything that exists, and I put together an item that fit the bill. But after I had thus sullied my journalistic karma, Owsley reneged – he charged that we were only interested in his drug career and any interview would caricature him as a mere chemist and has-been. Under the circumstances, he said, the best he could do for us would be to write an essay on Marshall McLuhan. Which he would sign “Publius.”

Well, so much for that.

Some men are not born to be components

It was toward the beginning of 1973 that I next saw Owsley. He was out of jail, and I ran across him at the Grateful Dead’s recording studio in San Francisco. There was a wild light in his eye. “Have you seen Joplin in Concert on the charts lately?” he asked. The album had been on the best-seller charts for the better part of a year at that point. “It’s slipping,” he said significantly. “Sales are down.”

Uh-oh. He actually believed “word had gotten out” about the funny stereo mix on three tracks of Joplin in Concert and people were swearing off buying extra copies of it.

Owsley’s life had changed a lot since 1967. He couldn’t afford his old flamboyance after the LSD factory bust; the money wasn’t coming in any longer. In 1974 he told a federal judge he had lost most of his savings in bad investments, to say nothing of legal fees, gifts and toys and a solid diet of flank steak. Of course, there was no question of returning to his old business, not the way he has been watched since 1966. His once-consuming interest in drugs had dwindled anyway, gone along with motorcycles and beekeeping into the conflagration of burned bridges he leaves behind him.

Even before going to prison, Owsley had been working for the Grateful Dead, which is a huge extended family and always manages to find a place for everybody. For the most part, he worked their sound equipment and consulted with their hi-fi lab and recording studio – all perfectly logical, since the Dead’s hi-fi interests are something Owsley infected them with in the first place. He continued doing this sort of thing for the Dead off and on after leaving prison, and he also worked with other San Francisco bands, even road-managing some tours.

He engineered a number of recording sessions and even produced some albums. On rare occasion, he did ultra-low-profile promo work for advanced studio sound equipment that met his obsessive standards. It seems his approval has some weight in hi-fi circles.

The jewelry shop he put together in jail also opened up a new range of activity for him. He became a sometime artist, turning out jewelry and small sculptures that combine a sort of blunt occult humor with minimalist refinements of technique. It’s led him to new quests, such as the perfect bell metal, with the aim of making bells that would ring for minutes on end when struck.

In the early ’80s, he had moved to a rustic home up the coast from San Francisco. He was living a very private life, but apart from no longer being a drug manufacturer, he was living as he always has. Surrounded by audio equipment, oriental rugs, occult books, African masks and welding tools, he continued to puzzle out the mysteries of the universe. He’d pace around the living room, drawing unexpected parallels: A biochemistry text illustrates the same philosophical principle made in his latest sculpture, which in turn bears out his theory on the historical ramifications of the development of ultra hi-fi.

Strangely, he wouldn’t talk much about the old days or what it all meant. He’s never been much of a reminiscer; he’s always engrossed in current projects. Sometimes he’d speak of what he’d done as a chemist as a humble attempt to “raise the level of bossness,” but he’d quickly lose interest in the subject.

Back in the ’60s, I always had the impression that he was not committed to any particular theory of what was going on but only riding this dragon to see where it led. Certainly he used to entertain theories about it that nobody else was willing to contemplate. For instance, it was a commonplace in 1967 that LSD was causing a sort of accelerated evolution of the human race, but only Owsley came up with this twist: “What if LSD was not discovered by Albert Hoffman in the 1940s, but revealed to him by beings from another planet who want us to evolve because they can use evolved intelligences as components in some immense, inconceivable machine of theirs? And when we’ve taken enough LSD, when we’re ripe, they’ll . . . harvest us?”

Actually, I think about that theory sometimes when I come across somebody I haven’t seen since 1968 or so. Some of them look distinctly harvested.

Not Owsley, though. In fact, if I were to give advice to any alien intelligences, it would be this: “Nix. Don’t try to harvest this one. You don’t know what you’re in for.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:09 pm

http://www.mdma.net/alexander-shulgin/professor-x.html

Professor X

Alexander Shulgin made millions for Dow Chemical. Then he synthesized MDMA, realized his best test subject was himself, and became the godfather of Generation Ecstasy.

Now he’s back inside his private lab, running a new batch of psychedelic compounds through his chromatograph.

By Ethan Brown

JUST AFTER sunset on a cool California evening last fall, Alexander Shulgin prepared to test the effects of the cactus Pachycereus pringlei on himself, his wife, and 10 other subjects. The group, which included two chemists and an anthropologist, gathered in the living room of a redwood house deep in the woods to help Shulgin with his research into psychedelic cacti. A few months earlier, the anthropologist had told Shulgin that this particular variety was worth looking into - a cave painting in Mexico suggested it might have psychoactive properties. Through chromatography, Shulgin determined that P. pringlei probably was a mild psychedelic, but "the establishment of its human pharmacology requires that it be consumed by man." So Shulgin dissolved the extract of the cactus into fruit juice, then poured a 4-ounce cup for each person. But his experiment went awry. "At about the two-hour point, my visual experiences became totally swamped by an overwhelming fear of moving," recalls Shulgin, the 77-year-old chemist who introduced ecstasy to the world. His wife, Ann, had an even more severe reaction. Out on the deck, she remembers, "I could see the full moon shining down on me with what felt like chilling contempt, and I thought, What an awful, stupid way to die." With her pulse racing, she went inside to check on her husband, who was upstairs in one of the bedrooms, lying still in the dark. "He said he was OK as long as he didn't move." Early the next morning, Shulgin assembled his test group, still in pajamas, to assess the effects of the cactus extract. All 12 of them had taken the same compound, but half had become violently ill, while the other six had the kind of pleasant but unremarkable experience Shulgin expected. The results, he decided, were inconclusive. Such unorthodox experiments are common for Shulgin, who might be described as practicing hard science with a blurry edge. With his gray beard, shock of white hair, and wrinkled tribal-patterned shirts, he certainly looks the part of a counterculture icon. But unlike Timothy Leary or Terence McKenna, Shulgin doesn't proselytize for psychedelic drugs. Instead, he invents new compounds, runs experiments to determine their pharmacological effects, and publishes his recipes. His 1976 synthesis of MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine), aka ecstasy, is the best-known result of his work. But he's also created dozens of other psychoactive compounds, including DOM (2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine), more commonly known as the potent '60s psychedelic STP, and 2C-T-7 (2,5-dimethoxy-4-(n)-propylthiophenethylamine), now sold on the street as "tripstasy"and suspected in the overdose death of a Tennessee teenager last year. Together with Ann, Shulgin has written two books that have become cult classics: PIHKAL: A Chemical Love Story (short for "Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved") and TIHKAL: The Continuation (about tryptamines). They have long tested his compounds on themselves, in the tradition of scientists a century ago, then written about them in a style that mixes dispassionate technical detail ("A suspension of 9.5 g LAH in 750 ml well stirred and hydrous Et20 was held at reflux under an inert atmosphere") with wide-eyed psychedelic utopianism ("I saw the cloud toward the west. THE CLOUDS!!! No visual experience has ever been like this."). His approach inspired the so-called psychonauts, a small group of scientifically sophisticated young explorers who post chemical syntheses, experimental results, and "Train Wrecks and Trip Disasters" at Erowid.org. "Shulgin has given the scientific approach a role model," says one psychonaut who, under the pseudonym Murple, self-publishes studies on next-generation psychedelics like 2C-T-7.

Shulgin's experiment with P. pringlei is part of his most ambitious project yet - to classify the psychoactive compounds that occur naturally in cacti. Hundreds of plants have such properties, but many have never been tested, and Shulgin's search to identify the effects of each have drawn him to botany guides, anthropology books, and ancient religious texts. He plans to publish his results in 2004, and the anticipation is such that online sites catering to the psychonaut scene have begun to sell the plants he's working with.

"I really appreciated what morphine did. It depersonalized the pain."

To these psychedelic adventurers, Shulgin is a postmodern Prometheus bearing the gift of chemical enlightenment. Even some scientists who speak out against drugs see value in his work: "There are merits to what Shulgin is doing, as the government does not allow real, unbiased studies with psychedelic drugs," says Jonathan Porteus, a psychologist at Cal State Sacramento who works with clients experiencing memory and mood problems as a result of ecstasy use. But to antidrug crusaders, Shulgin is a Frankenstein who has loosed frightening pharmacological monsters on the youth of the world. When Shulgin was invited to speak at a conference on drug policy in England, the head of an antidrug group said it was like "going to an asylum and asking the inmates about mental health."

THE SHULGINS live in the hills of Lafayette, California, on a 20-acre ranch at the end of a winding dirt driveway that's been called Shulgin Road since the chemist's parents purchased the land in the '30s. It's a sunny summer day, and Ann sets out a plate of hummus and fruit on the patio. Then she thrusts out a story about Shulgin from Britain's Daily Mail headlined "HAS THIS MAN KILLED 100 BRITISH TEENAGERS?" "We're not sure if we want this interview to happen," she says coolly, gesturing at the article like it's a piece of evidence. "What kind of knowledge of psychedelics do you have?" She means personal experience. Finally, she allows, I can start asking questions, "but I'll put up a red a flag if you're inappropriate."

In the Shulgins' kitchen, a homey room decorated with a lifetime's worth of counterculture souvenirs - art by a peyote-worshiping tribe, a photo of Shulgin with New Age nutrition guru Andrew Weil - I ask the obvious question: How does he feel now that ecstasy has become an international phenomenon - and, to some, an international scourge? "It's pretty heavy-duty," Shulgin says solemnly. "I don't think it's being used the way it should." He disapproves of the potentially dangerous doses clubbers often take, and he worries that recreational use of his drugs will overshadow their higher purpose. Psychedelics are a means for adults to gain insight into themselves, Shulgin says. "The best words I can use are research tools."

Speak for yourself, Sasha," Ann interjects, using her husband's nickname. "I like to turn on and observe the universe. Scientists try to explain that these drugs aren't for fun as if there's something wrong with fun." The divide between the Shulgins reflects the schism between those who see psychedelics as a way to expand the senses and those who see them as a method to unlock the mind. While ravers gobble pills with abandon, psychonauts carefully measure out their desired dose.

Shulgin says ecstasy is particularly good for breaking down personal barriers, which is why some therapists used it before it was made illegal. "You don't have that sense of psychic territory to keep a psychiatrist out of," he says.

To Shulgin, a self-proclaimed libertarian, publishing synthesis instructions is "totally responsible": "If you're going to make a drug and use a drug, you want accurate information." A regular reader of the Federal Register, Shulgin even has a legal argument. "If you look at the Constitution, the 10th Amendment says anything that isn't handled in the Constitution or mentioned in the previous nine amendments should be reverted to the people or the states." In any case, he says, the government has no business making laws about personal behavior.

What about driving under the influence, Ann asks. Bad driving itself should be illegal, Shulgin replies - whatever its cause.

In the study that adjoins the kitchen, Ann's 36-year-old daughter, Wendy, is helping Shulgin research adrenochrome, an oxidized version of adrenaline briefly in vogue in the early '70s thanks to a mention in Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Medical studies have linked an excess of adrenochrome to brain dysfunction, and Shulgin believes the chemical could help scientists understand schizophrenia. "I've found a book on Amazon, but it's $75," Wendy shouts. "I need your credit card." Shulgin rises from his chair. "Take two," he says to her, pulling out his wallet, "$50 on one and $25 on the other."

The Shulgins can come across like a psychedelic version of the Osbournes - an ambling, eccentric paterfamilias, a kid who's caught up in the family business, and a savvier, more aggressive wife who protects them from the outside world. "Sasha made a decision a long time ago that he would never sell any drug," Ann says forcefully. Indeed, Shulgin has never played a role in getting any of the chemicals he's created onto the street. "As far as I know," he says at Ann's prompting, "I'm not doing anything illegal."

In fact, Shulgin has some establishment leanings. He belongs to the elite, all-male Bohemian Club (Dick Cheney and George Shultz are members), and in 1988 he published Controlled Substances: A Chemical and Legal Guide to the Federal Drug Laws. In one of the more ironic moments of the war on drugs, he and Ann were married on their ranch on July 4, 1981, by the administrator of a DEA lab he was friendly with. Exactly one year later, the man held his wedding in the same spot. Shulgin never had a problem with the law until 1994, when the drug agency raided the lab behind his house. He wasn't charged with anything, but he surrendered the DEA-approved analytical license that allowed him to study certain scheduled drugs. (A spokesperson for the agency's San Francisco office would not comment on the raid.) "The issue is closed, and I have the freedom of doing whatever lab work I choose," Shulgin says. Nevertheless, "the separation between me and my friends at the DEA is now quite severe."

BORN IN BERKELEY to two public-school teachers, Shulgin was raised in an intellectual atmosphere, and he was just 7 when he first wandered into the local chemical supply store. "It was a 15-minute bicycle ride from my house," he remembers, "and I'd go there and say, 'I'd like to get some sodium bicarbonate or some magnesium sulfate.' They'd take a glassine bag and put some chemicals in it and there was no charge. Today there would be regulations against that."

An apt student who mastered two foreign languages (Russian and French) and three instruments (violin, viola, and piano), Shulgin entered Harvard on a full scholarship in 1942. "It was a total, total disaster," he recalls. "The people around me were sons and daughters of important people, with money and property, position and stature. I was not, and there was no social blending at all." In the middle of his sophomore year, he dropped out to join the Navy.

Shulgin was stationed on a destroyer escort in the North Atlantic during World War II, and he remembers being shocked by all the death he saw around him. He was never hurt badly, but the treatment he received for a painful infection introduced him to a lifelong fascination. "I really appreciated what morphine did," he recalls. "It doesn't quiet the pain - it makes you indifferent to it. It depersonalizes the pain."

Shulgin got an honorable discharge in 1946 and enrolled at UC Berkeley to study chemistry. He received his PhD in biochemistry in 1954, and the spirit of intellectual openness was an important influence. He wrote a letter to the head of the chemistry department at the University of Pennsylvania suggesting a more efficient way to synthesize morphine. "I got an answer," he remembers. "He said, 'Neat idea - it's never been tried.' Even if he didn't say much, he acknowledged the letter. To me, that was a great treasure."

Ever since, Shulgin has endeavored to answer all his mail, and he runs an Internet forum called "Ask Dr. Shulgin," in which he fields questions on such esoteric topics as the interaction of peyote with antidepressants. Murple recalls sending Shulgin an entire unsolicited manuscript of a book he was working on and receiving a detailed response.

After graduating from Berkeley, Shulgin took a job with a clinical diagnostics company, but he quickly jumped to Dow Chemical, where he invented Zectran, the first biodegradable insecticide. Still fascinated by mind-altering substances, he tried mescaline in 1960 and was moved to begin researching psychoactive drugs. "It was given to me by a psychiatrist friend, and it was the turning point that dictated the direction of my research for the rest of my life," he says. "I was confronted with the reality that the drug wasn't doing anything - it was just the catalyst. How much else was in there that I had no access to?"

Shulgin spent the next few years tinkering with the molecular structure of mescaline, inventing DOM and a few other compounds that, through the actions of others, ended up in the Haight-Ashbury and, soon after, in the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. Dow wasn't happy with this research, but since Zectran had proven profitable, he was granted time to work on his pet projects - from home. "Dow said, 'Do as you wish,'" Shulgin recalls. "I did as I wished. I did psychedelics."

ECSTASY was first synthesized in 1912 by the pharmaceutical company Merck, which used it as a chemical intermediary. It wasn't administered as a psychoactive substance until 1953, when the US government tested it on animals as a possible chemical warfare agent. Shulgin created a new synthesis for MDMA on September 12, 1976, according to his journal, and he told Wired he was tipped off to its possible effects by an undergrad in a medicinal chemistry group he advised at San Francisco State University. At the time, MDA (3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine), dubbed "Mellow Drug of America," was popular on the psychedelic scene, and the student mentioned having heard something about its methylated version.

Shulgin first tried 16 milligrams of MDMA to no noticeable effect (the average dose in a pill is 75 to 150 milligrams), then upped the amount incrementally every week. At 81 milligrams, he had his eureka moment. "First awareness at 35 minutes smooth, and it was very nice," Shulgin wrote in his journal. "Forty-five minutes still developing, but I can easily assimilate it as it comes under excellent control. Fifty minutes getting quite deep, but I am keeping a pace."

"MDMA didn't have the tremendous effect on him that it did on other people," Ann says. For her, the compound is "an extraordinary opener. There's no other drug that gives you such consistent insight." Ann began administering MDMA to people as a sort of lay-therapist. Shulgin introduced the drug to Leo Zeff, an Oakland psychologist who guided dozens of his patients through sessions on various drugs. (Zeff himself viewed psychedelics as a path to enlightenment and wrote about dancing with a Torah while tripping on LSD.) Zeff was so enthusiastic about the compound that he postponed his retirement to travel across the country introducing MDMA to hundreds of his fellow therapists. Along the way, he gave the drug its first street name, Adam, because he believed it stripped away neuroses and put users in a primordial state.

Thanks to Zeff's advocacy, MDMA was widely known as an experimental therapy by the mid-'80s; Phil Donahue devoted an entire show to its medical potential in February 1985. But in Dallas, a very different use of the compound was emerging. Renamed "ecstasy" by a former drug dealer who sensed its commercial potential, MDMA was sold at nightclubs like the Starck right alongside Jack Daniel's and Bud. Months after Donahue's program aired, the DEA estimated that Dallas residents were consuming nearly 30,000 hits of ecstasy per month. Though it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint the specific cause of an overdose death in someone who has ingested multiple substances, the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office estimated that in the early and mid-'80s, misuse of the drug had killed five people.

Among those in the psychiatric community who believed in the potential of ecstasy, some argued that therapists should administer it quietly. Others, including Shulgin, urged them to publish their results. In April 1985, MDMA was classified as an emergency Schedule 1, a drug with "high potential for abuse" and "no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States." (Permanent Schedule 1 status followed a year later.) Not a single therapist had published on the drug's therapeutic benefits - mostly, Shulgin says, out of fear they'd be seen as endorsing what was called the "yuppie psychedelic."

Even with his creation outlawed, Shulgin continued to make a case for its use. At a 1992 National Institute on Drug Abuse technical review on hallucinogens, Shulgin admitted testing psychoactive compounds on himself. "Sasha found a way, with DEA people in attendance, to present the results of human studies on psychedelics," says Rick Doblin, founder and president of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. "It was one of the more heroic, in-the-lion's den moments I've ever seen." Two years later, the national body issued a report stating, among other things, "there is an urgent need for human testing." This fall, Doblin will begin testing MDMA as a treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder, the first FDA-approved psychotherapy research into the drug since it was criminalized.

AFTER A LUNCH of homemade pepperoni pizza, Shulgin leads me down to his lab on a hay-strewn path flanked by Salvia divinorum, an herb used by shamanic healers in Oaxaca, Mexico. On the door, a heavy, printed sign reads THIS IS A KNOWN AND APPROVED RESEARCH FACILITY; a smaller placard displays the international symbol for radioactive material, and a third lists a local contact number for the DEA. A harsh chemical odor wafts out when he opens the door. On one wall, there's a torn, browning copy of the periodic table; against another, shelves hold beakers containing bits of dissected cacti.

HE POINTS TO THE GRAPH: "BINGO! WE’VE GOT ACTIVITY."

"How does one know if a certain cactus is active?" Shulgin asks. There's often anthropological evidence that a plant is psychoactive, but many species have several names, while even experts have a hard time distinguishing between various types of cacti. Several that contain psychoactive material, including Trichocereus pachanoi, more commonly known as San Pedro, are sold at garden centers.

When questions of taxonomy arise, Shulgin isolates and identifies specific compounds through chromatography. "Here I'm totally caught up in the Western tools of science," he says, as classical music blares from a transistor radio hanging from a ceiling beam. "Get a bit of plant into the test tube, shove the wet residue into the chromatographic monster, and you discover 20 new things in the plant." He shows me a small notebook with pages displaying the peaks and valleys of printed-out chromatography. "Bingo!" he says, pointing to an upward shift. "We've got activity."

That's where the standard scientific method ends. Shulgin will sample an extremely low dose with Ann, then bring the substance to the group with whom he tried P. pringlei. Sometimes his psychedelic adventures scare him, Shulgin says, "but how else are you going to learn?" In case the worst does happen, "I always keep an anti-convulsant on hand."

These days, though, the group doesn't meet as much anymore. "We're getting too old," he says.

SHULGIN RARELY travels, but he's come to MIT for an American Chemical Society symposium on "The Chemistry and Pharmacology of Hallucinogens." During a wine and cheese reception before dinner, he's mobbed by chemistry students, who thrust out dog-eared copies of PIHKAL for him to sign. One tells Shulgin that he took a bus all the way from Indiana just to meet him. A Goth couple persuades him to pose with them for a few Polaroids.

In a crisp white shirt and blue-striped tie, Shulgin looks like an overwhelmed teenager forced to dress for some family function. During the presentations, several lecturers mention his work, and a researcher from the National Institute on Drug Abuse refers to a few psychedelics as "Shulgin analogs."

"Where are my dirty pictures?" Shulgin asks Ann in a panic. He means the transparencies he's made of the chemical structures of his compounds. Moments later he finds them in the knapsack he left by the bar and enlists me to keep track of his materials.

Shulgin is more at ease when the conference breaks for dinner, riffing on palindromes (his favorite is Soros), his views on drug laws (to prove a point, he pulls out a wallet-sized copy of the Constitution), and the asparagus ("Everyone check their urine later and let me know if it smells").

After dinner, as the sun sets over the Charles River, Shulgin steps behind the podium and explains some of his syntheses at such dizzying speeds that he has to stop a few times to catch his breath. As his creations are projected behind him, he talks about the hand-drawn diagrams of MDMA, MMDA, and 2C-T-7 the way anyone else might talk about photos of their vacation or wedding.

"It's the excitement of discovering something totally unknown," he tells me later.

"I feel an incredible tingle when I look at a white solid I've just synthesized that I know has never existed anywhere in the universe before this moment." He stops himself. "Oh, maybe someone on a planet around some sun way out there may have looked at it, but this is its first existence on Earth. And I'll be the first to know what it does."
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 pm

The final section of:

Cults, Gangs, Dope and Intelligence

http://visupview.blogspot.com/2010/10/c ... gence.html

According to Acid Dreams it all began with 'Farmer' John Griggs, a dubious LSD messiah along the lines of Captain Al 'Trips' Hubbard. Griggs was introduced to acid shortly after holding up a Hollywood producer and robbing him of his stash LSD in the process. A week later Griggs and other members of his motorcycle gang dropped the acid at Joshua Tree Nation Park and apparently had a life changing experience. Griggs was so blown away by the experience that he actually traveled across the entire country, to New York state, to discuss this experience with none other than Timothy Leary himself. Leary was impressed with the ex-hood and suggested he should start his own church. Griggs took this advice to heart and in October of 1966 the Brotherhood of Eternal Love incorporated.

The decision to start dealing drugs seems to have been made very early -the Brotherhood had big mystical ideas, so they needed big bucks to carry them out. Initially they began smuggling marijuana, first from across the border with Mexico, then by importing hashish from Afghanistan, a seemingly insignificant region of the world that pops up over and over again in the various histories. If this wasn't enough, by late '67 Leary himself made the scene along with his patron, William Mellon Hitchcock, a heir from the infamous Mellon banking dynasty. Soon Hitchcock himself would become something of a financer for the Brotherhood. The Mellon banking dynasty had a cozy relationship with the American intelligence community, notably David Bruce, son-in-law to former US Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon, and head of the OSS' London offices during WWII. Hitchcock would go on to launder much of the Brotherhood's fund through a Caribbean CIA front, the Castle Bank, which would go onto to become one of those most notorious criminal-associated banks in our nation's history.

After the arrest of LSD chemist Owsley Stanley in 1967 a void had opened in the LSD market. It was to be filled by two chemist, one Tim Scully, a man seemingly with genuine idealist intentions; and another, Nick Sand, a follower of Gurdjieff and associate of the Hell's Angels and other fringe types who had been involved in Leary's New York operations and had followed Hitchcock out to California. These two chemists would step into Owsley's role with Hitchcock handling the financial end and the Brotherhood picking up the distribution end. By the time Scully and Sand closed down their laboratory in 1969 they had produced over 10 million hits of the legendary orange sunshine acid. Leary even got in on the act, recommending orange sunshine above all other acid. Orange sunshine would go on to pop up in all 50 states and numerous foreign countries. It was even the most popular brand of acid for US soldiers fighting in Viet Nam.

Just as the Brotherhood seemed to have made it things began to unravel. It started with Hitchcock running afoul of the law and wanting to distance himself from the drug trade. Maters were further complicated with the death of Farmer John Griggs himself, who overdosed on PCP. Finally, Leary was imprisoned in early 1970. This led to more unsavory elements, such as Sands, assuming command positions. Eventually this enabled the figure of Ronald Stark to move in and eventually take over the Brotherhood.

Stark was an individual that at various times was described as Palestinian, Israeli, and/or Italian. He spoke ten languages fluently, including Chinese, French, German, Arabic, and Italian. In 1967 he had a mere $3,000 in his bank account. By 1968 he was a millionaire. Besides the Brotherhood he ran multiple other drug rings across the world. When he first met the Brotherhood he posed as a representative for a French LSD ring, a kilo of pure LSD in hand, which was more than the Brotherhood had ever seen in one place at a time. He was bisexual and used both sex and drugs to manipulate people. Stark quickly took over the banker functions of Hitchcock, but became much more personally involved in the running of the organization.
Not only did Stark turn the Brotherhood into one of the largest drug smuggling wings in the world, he made them militant. In The Family Ed Sanders strongly implies the Brotherhood was the initial financial backer of the Weathermen Underground as a kind of military wing:

"...the underground Weatherpeople, funded by a group of psychedelic dealers called the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, were plotting to free Timothy Leary..." (The Family, pg. 369)

The extent to which the Brotherhood was involved with the Weathermen will probably never be known but it is wildly acknowledged now that they put up the $25,000 reward that led the Weathermen to spring Leary from prison. The Brotherhood would go on to smuggle Leary into Europe and eventually Afghanistan, which turned out to be a major tactical mistake on Leary's part. At the time it was swarming with US narcotics agents looking to break up the Brotherhood's international ring and they pulled enough strings with Kabul to get Leary sent back to the US in early 1973.

There's even a possibility that the Brotherhood were involved in the Tate murders carried out by the Manson family. Many have long suspected that the Tate residency was targeted in part as retaliation for a massive drug burn. Wojciech Frykowski, a friend of Roman Polanski and wife Sharon Tate, had become a major player in the LA LSD and MDA markets. Frykowski was dating Abigail Folger, heiress of the Folger coffee dynasty and financial patron of Frykowski's endeavor. Frykowski had burned his suppliers of at least $11,000 all the while working toward setting up his own wholesale distribution ring with Folger's financial backing. Some researchers believe that Frykowski and Folger were the Family's intended targets that fateful night on August 9th, 1969, and that Tate was not even supposed to be at the residency along Cielo Drive that night.

Journalist Maury Terry writes in The Ultimate Evil:

"According to police reports, friends of Frykowski and our own sources, Fryowski became involved in LSD dealing and also was offered a wholesale distributorship of the amphetamine MDA -which was found in both his and Folger's systems the night they died.

"Fryowski, a recent immigrant to the United States, didn't have the money to make wholesale drug purchases, he was unemployed. This was a subtlety the police apparently missed. But his girlfriend had the funds. Coffee heiress Abigail Folger had the cash to support Frykowski's endeavor and our sources say she did just that." (pg.486)

"A Los Angeles source who was knowledgeable about the Manson set in 1969 said: 'Frykowski was the motive. He had stung his own suppliers for a fair amount of money and that didn't go down well at all with the people at the top of the drug scene here. And to make it worse, he was upsetting the structure of the LSD marketplace by dealing independently, outside the established chain of supply. He was a renegade." (pg. 489)

Terry goes on to breakdown the LA drug scene at the time and the players involved in the Fryowski hit:

"The Los Angeles drug scene in 1969 could be likened to a field of pyramids which roughly divided the marketplace into various specialized segments. Near the top of one pyramid, the chemical dope edifice, was a man connected to Jetz [a pseudonym Terry uses for mid-level dealer -Recluse] ; a superior, so to speak. This man was said to have been a former Israeli who had strong links to the international intelligence community. He wasn't employed by U.S. or Israeli intelligence, at least not at the time of the murders. Rather, he was regarded as a rogue who, in addition to his elevated narcotics ranking, was suspected by some of being an operative for the Soviet Union; perhaps free-lance." (pg.490)

Ronald Stark claimed at various times to be an Israeli and connected to the CIA. In Acid Dreams Lee and Shlain write:

"His modus operandi was not unlike that of an intelligence operative. He often claimed to know exactly how things worked in the espionage community. He said he knew lots of spies, and to some friends he even boasted of working for the CIA." (pg. 250)

Both Manson researchers Maury Terry and Ed Sanders believed Manson was in part carrying out a contract for a hippie cult deeply involved in the LA drug scene that had been burned by Fryowski. They presumed this cult was an organization known as the Process Church of Final Judgment, which will be examined in much greater length in a later installment. However, I will note Sanders and Terry both began to suspect the Process was a front for some kind of U.S. intelligence group:

"This information, which I unearthed in 1986, apparently explained something Ed Sanders earlier told me: 'There were so many investigations going on out there after the murders that I began to wonder if the Process was a front for some intelligence operation.'" (The Ultimate Evil, pg. 490)

However, it seems that they were wrong about the intelligence-backed cult the Manson Family was working for. While there are a lot of compelling reasons for the Process, even Terry acknowledges they were never more than bit players in the drug trade. The Brotherhood was firmly at the top of the LA LSD market in the late 1960s. If Fryowski was upsetting the LSD distribution pyramid in LA all the way to the top, then it most certainly would have involved the Brotherhood. Further, Terry's description of the LA head of the drug pyramid fits Ronald Stark to a T. Then there's the fact that Stark continued dealing virtually unabated well after the Brotherhood was taken down in the early 70s. Eventually, when Stark was taken down in the late 70s in Europe he was ultimately released by an Italian court on the basis that he had been employed by the CIA since the early 60s:

"True to form, Stark dropped out of sight shortly after he was released from prison in April 1979 on orders from Judge Giorgio Flordia in Bologna. The judge's decision was extraordinary: he released Stark because of 'an impressive series of scrupulously enumerated proofs' that Stark was actually a CIA agent. 'Many circumstances suggest that from 1960 onwards Stark belonged to the American secret services,' Floridia stated." (Acid Dreams, Lee and Shlain, pg. 281)

Stark would go on to die under mysterious circumstances shortly thereafter, a fitting final chapter to the Brotherhood. To recap: They were a motorcycle gang that became a cult who sold marijuana for funding then, after coming into association with major gurus (Leary) and financiers (Hitchcock), morphed into an international drug cartel and eventual CIA front. It's entirely possible that they were always a CIA front. As previously noted, Hitchcock came from the intelligence linked Mellon banking family, while Leary got his start in Harvard, a Mecca for the Military-Industrial Complex and MKULTRA testing specifically during Leary's era. Leary himself was probably not an actual intelligence asset, but was likely considered useful as a kind of shock troop. Regardless, the Brotherhood would go on to associate, and even fund, countless militant factions that permanently derailed the counterculture -the Weathermen Underground, the Hell's Angels (who took over street level distribution of LSD in LA and other cities after Nick Sand rose to prominence within the Brotherhood) and quite likely the Manson Family. They were essentially a one cult wrecking crew for any illumination that entheogens could have brought upon the masses. Rather than illumination, countless young people became enslaved to various parasitical cults in which a charismatic leader used various entheogens to manipulate their followers into performing numerous acts of terror and debauchery that brought about loud, deafening cries from the masses for a police state. Again I will briefly note the remarkable similarities between some of the modern day hippie cults and the Hashshashins.

Our political leaders were all to happy to step in and pretend to solve the problem that they had helped create through their networks of cults and gangs, under the direction of a vast, Byzantine intelligence community. The public was given a simple explanation: entheogens were the culprit, tearing down the fabric of traditional morality. And in the hands of men like Captain Trips, Farmer John Griggs, Timothy Leary, and others entheogens were reduced to such villainy. But as always, the public was never given the full truth -that the drug epidemic and emerging counterculture was one that was largely designed and directed by the CIA; and that the entheogens, if people were made to understand their nature, need not be tools of mind control.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:12 pm

TRIGGER WARNING

Concerning a notorious young PCP/LSD abusing Satanist from Long Island, New York:

img]http://truelegends.info/amityville/kasso_hair.jpg[/img]

Ricky Kasso: Satanic Ritual Murder

[
Ricky Kasso was locked up in the Amityville nuthouse. By this time the Amityville Asylum was renamed to South Oaks Hospital. Kasso even had a demonic ceremony in front of the famous Amityville horror house to celebrate the Walpurgisnacht witch ceremony. After being treated in Amityville, Kasso went on to kill.

Former Director of Research at the Asylum was LSD Researcher for the CIA. Patient under his care jumped out of New York City window while on LSD that the doctor gave him!{sic: Abramson is not the one who dosed Frank Olson!]

Dr. Harold Abramson created quite a stir years ago when he experimented with fish when he gave them LSD. In the 1970s he became an even bigger international sensation when it was discovered he was doing mind control experiments for the CIA using LSD in a program called MKULTRA. According to the New York Times, "In 1959, Dr. Abramson told a scientific meeting on LSD that at the outset many of his colleagues opposed his work with the drug, regarding him as 'a sort of psychiatric Dracula.'" The director of the asylum was looked upon as a "Mad Scientist" by his peers. In 1953 Dr. Abramson's patient Frank Olson threw himself out a window and died at the Statler Hotel in New York City. In 1975 it was revealed it was from LSD that was given to him as part of a CIA funded research project of Dr. Abramson. Dr. Abramson was giving patients LSD without telling them.

The mental institution held a conference on LSD at the asylum on May 8th to 10th, 1965 in Amityville. According to Betty Grover Eisner "The last important conference for those of us who had worked with LSD was 'The Second International Conference on the Use of LSD in Psychotherapy and Alcoholism', held at the South Oaks Hospital in Amityville, New York. Dr. Harold Abramson was South Oaks Research Director." and "There were fifty-five of us gathered at Amityville, New York, almost every single therapist who had used LSD." (http://www.maps.org/books/remembrances.html Remembrances of LSD therapy past Betty Grover Eisner, Ph.D.August 7, 2002)

A book written by
Amityville's Dr. Abramson
to promote the use of LSD.

http://truelegends.info/amityville/asylum.htm
American Dream

Postby undead » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:27 am

Hey AD -

Happy Solstice, and thanks for the great articles. This is the illest shit I have heard in a while:

Currently, the Department of Homeland Security is converting much of St Elizabeth’s “campus”— which is only now partially used by the hospital—as its new headquarters.

It's the Ministry of Love. I wouldn't want to be indefinitely detained there.

Have a safe and police-free holiday!
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations