THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 am

fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How is this bodyguard thing working out for you?

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am

a liberal is someone who walks out of the room when an argument
turns into a fight
a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged

http://www.photographyisntacrime.com/

If I remember correctly, and this is always suspect,
I picked this quote up from Andrew Vachss as he was training
a group of us on how to use the organization tactics of Saul Alinsky
as detailed in Alinsky's book RULES FOR RADICALS
Vachss had been trained by Saul Alinsky at the Industrial Areas Foundation
see
http://www.vachss.com/vachss/credentials.html
Professional Fellowships

John Hay Whitney Foundation Fellow, 1976-1977
Industrial Areas Foundation Training Institute Fellow, 1970-1971
United States Public Health Service Interviewing School, 1965
fruhmenschen

Postby compared2what? » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 am

fruhmenschen wrote:a liberal is someone who walks out of the room when an argument
turns into a fight

http://www.photographyisntacrime.com/

If I remember correctly, and this is always suspect,
I picked this quote up from Andrew Vachss as he was training
a group of us on how to use the organization tactics of Saul Alinsky
as detailed in Alinsky's book RULES FOR RADICALS
Vachss had been trained by Saul Alinsky at the Industrial Areas Foundation
see
http://www.vachss.com/vachss/credentials.html
Professional Fellowships

John Hay Whitney Foundation Fellow, 1976-1977
Industrial Areas Foundation Training Institute Fellow, 1970-1971
United States Public Health Service Interviewing School, 1965

I've read Rules for Radicals. That's definitely not where it comes from. But I'm pretty sure it can't have originated with Vacchs, either.

Again, I really don't know. I get that the implication is supposed to be that conservatives have been schooled in hard knocks. But honestly, at best, it just says "Bernhard Goetz" to me. And seriously. No matter what wikipedia says about it now, he was not, in fact, an admirable figure to the many New Yorkers for whom he spoke by responding to a request for five dollars by shooting four people on a crowded subway car in a safe and busy neighborhood in the middle of the day.

The kids were just so unsympathetic that even being shot and paralyzed for life after backing away and sitting down wasn't enough to sway many hearts. And he was just such a pathetic figure that he could have shot every unarmed youth on the IRT without alienating many. There was some speculation about what his psycho-sexual motives might have been, initially. But that's about as much serious consideration as I can recall anyone ever giving the matter, on a personal level. He was mostly just a convenient proxy for various then-current competing causes and interests.

And that was lucky for him, I guess. According to wiki, he does squirrel rescue now. But I don't know how reliable that is.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

As far as I can tell, that was originally part of the wit and wisdom of Frank Rizzo.

Yikes.

Well. It certainly could be worse.

Francis Lazarro "Frank" Rizzo, Sr. (October 23, 1920 – July 16, 1991) was an American police officer and politician. He served two terms as mayor of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from January 1972 to January 1980; he was Police Commissioner for four years prior to that.

Police Commissioner

Rizzo joined the Philadelphia Police Department in the 1940s, rising through the ranks to become police commissioner in 1967. He served in that role during the turbulent years of 1967 to 1971, garnering a reputation as a tough, hands-on commissioner.

One of the most well-known actions taken by Rizzo's police officers were the raids on the Philadelphia offices of the Black Panther Party on August 31, 1970. The raids took place just after the Black Panthers had declared war on police officers nationwide,and one week before the Panthers planned to convene a "People's Revolutionary Convention" at Temple University. The officers performed a strip search on the arrested Black Panther members in front of the news cameras after a Fairmount Park Police Officer was just brutally murdered. The picture ran on the front page of the Philadelphia Daily News, and was seen around the world.Rizzo did not order the raids, as he was home asleep at the time. He did defend the officers afterwards, as it was his custom to give officers the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry. But what a phrase. "It was his custom to give officers the benefit of the doubt." It makes him sound so gracious.

ImageImage

It's really not funny, I know.

In many respects, Rizzo was not a typical commissioner. He sometimes quarreled with the city's mayor, James H. J. Tate. He was boisterous and brooding, particularly to media. A biography of Rizzo, with an introduction written by future police commissioner John Timoney, recounted: "Of one group of anti-police demonstrators, he is reported to have said, 'When I'm finished with them, I'll make Attila the Hun look like a fag.'" A female reporter who covered the Rizzo years, Andrea Mitchell (now of NBC News), recounted routine brutish behavior as part of a broad pattern of bravado.

Rizzo resigned in 1971 to run for mayor.

Relationship with African Americans and Police Riots

Rizzo's relationship with Philadelphia's African-American community was volatile, with the PPD under Rizzo often having a bad reputation in the city's African-American community. During his tenure as a division captain and as commissioner, critics often charged him with racially motivated targeting of activities in African-American neighborhoods.

And so on. See link for full entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Rizzo

I always think of Mumia Abu-Jamal as a part of his legacy, loosely speaking. And that's probably fair enough. But the shoot-out didn't actually happen until about a year after his second term had ended.

Luther Blisset must know much more about all of it than I do, though.

ON EDIT: In case it needs saying, I'm sure that most people who use that phrase don't intend it to mean the same thing that it did when Rizzo said it. The connotation is there. But it's not very noticeable. So, you know. No personal implications attach.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby The Consul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 pm

I got scars on my forehead, my face, my cheek and eye and a bad MCL from knowingly walking into a jump with 5 guys out of their minds on blotter. I got scars on my knuckles, too. I imagine some shitbirds would call me a liberal and other fuckers would call me a conservative. Fuck that, I'm a poet, I used to say, but mostly in an aging polite society nobody talks about anything but gastric bypasses and the Lexus. Last time I got in a fight was with a real self professed liberal over Obama. I just didn't understand what was taking so long, you know? By the time we both agreed to take off our progressive bifocal glasses we had already amped down to shoving, grabbing and pawing at each other like a gay couple who lost control but had no interest in hurting each other. We ended up in a bear hug and he introduced me to cinnamon infused whiskey shortly thereafter which only goes to show there is always hope even if you think it is bullshit. I have been thrown entirely across streets. I have been hit in the back of the head during a donnybrook so freaking hard I didn't know who I was for almost 3 days. I am too old for such shit now though I can't say I have completely outgrown it, hard to say since my neighbors are all such chickenshits. Came by it honestly I suppose. I once saw my old man take on five guys in a restaraunt for putting his Crowsley up on the side walk. After knocking out the first four he went up to the last one in full pants piss mode and said get the hell out of here, take them with you and put my car back on the street! He then sat down and looked at me and my slack jawed brothers and said "Eat your chicken". Mom had kept eating quitely the whole time like dad just got up to find an extra place setting. By today's standards he would have been a liberal, for sure. Though he preferred to refer to himself as a working man, Local #1. Anyway, anyone who says everyone within a certain stereotypical group is all this or all that or stupid, ingenious, god fearing, devil worshipping whatever is full of shit and just trying to trade on half assed aphorisms meant to appeal to would be visionaries who think everyone is the same but them, kinda an outgrowth of the everybody's going to die but me syndrome. Liberals, convervatives, whatever. Turtles are at least as interesting as people, anyway, and they will fight for hours.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

^^^thanky0o0u^^^ :basicsmile
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby compared2what? » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am

Seconded.

_________

It was kind of interesting to think about Bernhard Goetz after all these years, though.

I don't think I've ever before fully appreciated the extent to which all New Yorkers -- rich, poor, black, white, young, and old -- daily honor each other year in and year out by observing the clause in the social contract that states:

Absolutely nobody even fucking thinks about just pulling out a gun and shooting people on the subway.

Because seriously. That so totally never happens that I can't actually think of a single additional instance of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Goetz's was literally the only such case in the last thirty years.

Oh, well. Vigilantes. .
compared2what?

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 am

see link for how taxpayer funded FBI agents protected dirty politicians and corporations

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/11/29 ... story.html
Kevin White’s FBI files released

November 29, 2012

It was 1971, and trash companies were angling for a lucrative prize: a new round of contracts with Boston. A representative from one outfit, eager to bolster its chances, spoke with a friend of Mayor Kevin White, who suggested that a contribution to White’s upcoming campaign would “be a good move.” The contract, the friend added, did not have to go to the lowest bidder.

When the individual met with White in his City Hall office, according to allegations detailed in the former mayor’s newly released FBI file, he allegedly gave White an envelope with $5,000 cash and a promise of $5,000 more.

White took the money, the individual told FBI investigators, and noted that other contractors had not done the “right thing.” Calling them “sons of bitches,” White vowed that he would “fix them.”

White was never charged with wrongdoing. But the allegations, which spurred a 1975 FBI inquiry into alleged bid-rigging by the White administration, emerged in new detail Wednesday after MuckRock, a website devoted to open records, posted White’s FBI file.

The group, which is independent but works in The Boston Globe’s media lab, received the 500-page file after lodging a public records request in February. White, who served as mayor from 1968 to 1984 and is credited with leading the city through the school busing crisis, died in January at age 82.

White’s administration was the target of a wide-ranging federal corruption investigation, and the FBI file details ­inquiries on several fronts.

The FBI also looked into claims that White pressured the John Hancock life insurance company into donating more than $4 million to Boston University in exchange for changing a development agreement with the city, and that he misused his office in a dispute with the City Council. Several lesser claims were also explored.
The documents are often heavily redacted, and most names are blocked out. They feature source testimony, internal memos, handwritten notes, and copies of newspaper stories. They span more than a ­decade, from the launch of the bid-rigging inquiry in 1975 to the conclusion of the Hancock investigation in 1987, when the US attorney’s office declined to prosecute “due to a lack of evidence to substantiate and prove a federal violation.”
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 pm

the backstory here is the taxpayer winds up paying for the lawsuit not the perps.
If the DEA was a business it would have been forced out of business a long time ago.
Yea, the DEA is a workfare program for sociopaths populated by returning serial killers from Irag and Afghanistan, eh?

see link for full story
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/28/52610.htm

Lawsuit: DEA Agents Bust into Wrong House, Injuring the Homeowners

During a raid, DEA agents in Texas knocked the homeowner unconscious, sent his wife into an epileptic fit and seized the children at gunpoint.

There’s one small problem: It was the wrong house.

That’s according to a recent lawsuit filed by Guillermo and Alejandra Ramirez, which are seeking $3 million in damages for false imprisonment, assault, negligent investigation and negligent surveillance, reports the Courthouse News.
fruhmenschen

Postby compared2what? » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:26 pm

fruhmenschen wrote:the backstory here is the taxpayer winds up paying for the lawsuit not the perps.

It seems more like a human rights violation than an imposition on taxpayers to me.
compared2what?

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm

see link for full story
http://sfbayview.com/2012/justice-4-ala ... akland-pd/

Justice 4 Alan Blueford – JAB – power punching the Oakland PD
November 29, 2012
On Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m., join Angela Davis and Alan’s parents for ‘Honoring Alan Blueford’ on what should be his 19th birthday: Laney College Theater, 900 Fallon, Oakland

by Malaika H Kambon

“This is the Justice 4 Alan Blueford Coalition, or JAB. And we’re going to JAB the City of Oakland Police Department in the ass until they do what they’re supposed to do.” – Jeralyn Blueford, Nov. 10, 2012, on the steps of Oakland Police Department headquarters

The Justice 4 Alan Blueford Committee (JAB) didn’t stop all business in downtown Oakland on Nov. 10. They did, however, stop business as usual.

In an extremely orderly, peaceful and well-planned demonstration and march led by JAB, approximately 400 community members and organizations spoke out against the racial profiling and murder of young Black and Brown children. They then marched from downtown Oakland to the Seventh and Broadway OPD building, proceeded through West Oakland and then back to downtown, 14th and Broadway outside of Oakland City Hall.

Gathering people along the way, the march always spanned three or four lanes of traffic. Passersby stopped and asked questions. People came out of their homes as the march passed through West Oakland. Motorists honked their horns in solidarity and waited patiently as row upon row of people crossed in front of them.
The Justice 4 Alan Blueford Committee (JAB) didn’t stop all business in downtown Oakland on Nov. 10. They did, however, stop business as usual.

Traffic was monitored and detoured by people rather than by police. And many of the people in attendance for the entire march and demonstration were new rank and file community people, who came with their children and were not members of any organization.

They came to learn, and learn they did. They learned of the people’s history, from community members and families of slain loved ones who had experienced it first hand. Among other things, they learned that:

On Nov. 5, 2010, an on-duty police officer was sentenced for an on-duty shooting in the state of California for the first time.
On Nov. 7, 2010, Derrick Jones was killed by OPD Officers Perez-Angeles and Dara-Quiroz, two days after the sentencing of Johannes Mehserle, murderer of Oscar Grant III. According to OPD and Alameda County District Attorney records, Angeles and Quiroz had both been involved in the shooting death of Leslie Allen on July 19, 2008.
On New Year’s Eve, 2007, OPD Officer Hector Jimenez shot and killed unarmed Andrew Moppin, one year before Johannes Mehserle murdered Oscar Grant III. Still free seven months later, Jimenez murdered unarmed Jody Woodfox III in July 2008. Jimenez again received paid leave until fired for the killing of Woodfox. Jimenez was the first officer ever fired for the officer-instigated murder of a civilian.
On Sept. 20, 2007, repeat offender OPD Sgt. Patrick Gonzalez murdered 20-year-old Gary King Jr. by shooting him in the back; shot and paralyzed 17-year-old Ameir Rollins in 2006; and murdered for the first time in 2002 by shooting and killing 19-year-old Joshua Russell. Gonzalez remains free to kill again, even after being wounded in the events of March 21, 2009, which left Lovelle Mixon and four Oakland police officers dead. Gonzalez has not ever been charged by the Alameda County DA’s Office nor has he ever been disciplined by OPD internal affairs.
In 2007, NYPD Officer Miguel Masso transferred to the OPD. According to a 2007 civil rights lawsuit, Masso and three other officers were accused of beating, macing, and tasering Rafael Santiago in a 52nd precinct station house in the central Bronx. On May 6, 2012, OPD officer Miguel Masso shot and killed Alan Dwayne Blueford, then shot himself in the foot. Masso was immediately transported to the hospital. Alan Blueford was left where he lie where he fell, to bleed out for four hours. Alan died of his injuries.

The OPD lies and conflicting reports protect these officers. The Policeman’s Bill of Rights shelters them from accountability, and the nationwide, systemic use of extrajudicial murder allows and encourages police departments to perpetuate a culture of racist violence.
On Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m., join Angela Davis and Alan’s parents for ‘Honoring Alan Blueford’ on what should be his 19th birthday: Laney College Theater, 900 Fallon, Oakland

On Dec. 18, 2012, Angela Davis and family members of victims of police brutality will come together from across the country to strengthen the growing movement against racial profiling, police brutality and what Michelle Alexander has characterized as “The New Jim Crow” in her book of the same name. Grieving families from Oakland to Anaheim to New York City will unite on what would have been Alan Blueford’s 19th birthday to demand justice in the wake of an epidemic of racist police murders.

This kind of grassroots organizing will continue to occur. Awareness will continue to grow. For as long as the sons and daughters of AFRIKA, Asia and Latin America, Indigenous people and other communities of the global people of color majority continue to be murdered because of the melanin in our skins, the fight for liberation will continue.
Adam Blueford, father of Alan Blueford, leads the Nov. 10 march for justice for the unarmed 18-year-old murdered by Oakland PD for no reason on May 6, 2012, just before his high school graduation. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
This is part of the message sworn to by nearly 400 people in the streets of Oakland fighting to end the racial profiling that is decimating the ranks of Black and Brown children across the U.S.

Quoting Fannie Lou Hamer’s message that poor people are “sick and tired of being sick and tired,” of having to behold the tears of families crying as we bury our youth and our futures, speaker after speaker testified from the pulpit of the church in the streets – which is also a blood drenched battlefield in this corner of California called Oakland.

Black and Brown families from Oakland to South Africa swore to the world that Oakland is tired of its streets being drowned in the savage murders of our youth. In 2012 alone, 12 or more Black and Brown children have been murdered by the Oakland Police Department.

That is at least one child per month, buried before his or her time.

This is neither random, nor accidental, nor the work of so called rogue cops. This is standard operating procedure in the U.S., according to “Every 36 Hours: Report on the Extrajudicial Killing of 120 Black People,” compiled by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement.

The use of deadly, extrajudicial force against Black people is woven into the very fabric of U.S. society. This is unacceptable.
Black and Brown families from Oakland to South Africa swore to the world that Oakland is tired of its streets being drowned in the savage murders of our youth. In 2012 alone, 12 or more Black and Brown children have been murdered by the Oakland Police Department.

Yet on Nov. 15, 2012, Oakland city officials rejected a motion filed by prominent civil rights attorneys John Burris and Jim Chanin asking federal District Judge Thelton Henderson to place the OPD under federal receivership. The rejection came in spite of the fact that the OPD has not complied with the 51 reforms set forth in a negotiated settlement agreement (NSA) reached after Oakland agreed to pay $10.9 million in damages and attorneys’ fees in a settlement between the city and 119 plaintiffs in the infamous Riders case.
South African activist Mazibuko Jara spoke to the crowd. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The Riders case came about when Oakland Police Department Officers Clarence Mabanag, Jude Siapno and Matthew Hornung were arrested, fired, charged and/or convicted of kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, planting false evidence and filing false police reports. A fourth officer, Frank Vazquez, fled to Mexico and has been sought by the FBI since the year 2000.

Coincidentally, Mabanag’s attorney in the case was Michael Rains, the same Rains who got Johannes Mehserle’s murder charge reduced to involuntary manslaughter in the killing of Oscar Grant III on New Year’s Eve 2009.

Federal receivership – or not – of the OPD will be decided in a Dec. 13, 2012, hearing.

But wouldn’t the federal takeover of the OPD be a mere red herring to give credence to the department’s actions as being “out of control,” when in actuality Oakland’s chief of police, backed by the mayor’s office, is very definitely directing what its police force does?

The Oakland Rider case was settled in 2003. Yet in the intervening years from 2003 to 2012, instances of Oakland Police Department misconduct and murder have escalated.

And extrajudicial killing, as illustrated by the Rider case, is always determined, governed, sanctioned and controlled. The puppeteer always pulls the strings of the puppet.
The march route led from downtown Oakland to OPD headquarters at Seventh and Broadway, through West Oakland and back to 14th and Broadway. On 14th Street, people cheered, threw up a fist, took photos on their cell phones, joined in and came out of their shops to watch. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
So why would anyone think that the appropriate remedy to the problem of a racist, extrajudicial, killer police department is the federal government stepping in and placing said department into receivership? To what avail? Information would be gathered. But to what avail would such information gathering be used? Would the information gathered be secret? Would it be made public? What actions would be taken? When would the federal government leave?

And most importantly, who would monitor the “monitors of the monitors”?

These are critical questions because no one knows what forms federal receivership of the Oakland Police Department would take. There are no guidelines because there are no precedents.

According to Wikipedia’s definition, federal receivership is “a remedy of last resort in litigation involving the conduct of executive agencies that fail to comply with constitutional or statutory basic human rights.”

Remedy?
These are critical questions because no one knows what forms federal receivership of the Oakland Police Department would take. There are no guidelines because there are no precedents.

But the federal government – FBI – is also author of the infamous, domestic surveillance and counterintelligence program known as COINTELPRO. COINTELPRO was based specifically upon the principles of disruption, disunity and divisiveness. It was designed to monitor and “neutralize” domestic groups deemed to be a “danger to national security.” People monitored included anti-war, civil and human rights groups, self-defense organizations and individuals. This meant everyone from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to the Weather Underground to Professor Ward Churchill; from the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee to El Hajj Malik el Shabazz to the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense to the American Indian Movement (AIM) to grand jury resisters to environmental groups saving trees – from Judi Bari to Jesse Jackson.

In earlier years, the FBI “monitored” to “neutralize” both Marcus Mosiah Garvey and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Tim Killings of the Laney College Black Student Union brought his fire to the rally. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The FBI monitored everything, including telephone conversations, public speeches, travel, apartment purchases, work places, public meetings, yacht cruises, even the trash you put in your garbage can.

Yet none of the above is an illegal act.

Dr. Huey P. Newton’s book, “War Against the Panthers: A Study of Repression in America,” states: “Of the 295 documented actions taken by COINTELPRO alone to disrupt Black groups, 233 – or 79 percent – were specifically directed toward destruction of the [Black Panther] Party. Over $100 million of taxpayers’ money was expended for COINTELPRO; over $7 million of it allocated for 1967 alone to pay off informants and provocateurs, twice the amount allocated in the same period by the FBI to pay organized crime informants” (pages 53-54).

The book goes on to state, “The vast arsenal of techniques employed by the bureau against the BPP were tried and tested over the years in foreign espionage,” and quotes William C. Sullivan, former assistant to J. Edgar Hoover as saying that the same techniques that were used against Soviet agents were “brought home against any organization against which we were targeted. We did not differentiate. This is a rough, tough business” (page 54).

The FBI engaged in or encouraged a variety of actions intended to cause – and in fact causing – deaths of BPP members, loss of membership and community support, draining of revenues from the party, false arrests of members and supporters, and defamatory discrediting of constructive party programs and leaders” (page 54). In conjunction with the CIA, military “counterinsurgency experts” and the newly formed DEA (in 1973), the FBI had the authority to “request wiretaps and no-knock warrants … and to enter residences surreptitiously, distribute misleading information, plant phony evidence, and conduct even more extreme clandestine assignments” (page 49).
The next generation of freedom fighters inspired the crowd at the rally. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
Media “assets” – the SF Examiner’s Ed Montgomery for example – manufactured lies out of whole cloth and posted articles written by FBI officers in major mainstream newspapers in order to target and discredit key people, such as Huey P. Newton, for arrest, conviction and imprisonment (page 61-62). An FBI memorandum to its SF headquarters described Examiner article(s) as part of its “counter-intelligence activities.”

If so, how is this a remedy to the communities being victimized by extrajudicial, racially motivated killings?

The federal government is alleged to be investigating the 2009 murder of Oscar Grant III. The U.S. Department of Justice investigation was to be conducted by its Civil Rights Division, the U.S. Attorney’s office in San Francisco and the FBI. Yet no results have been produced since the investigation began in July of 2010.
So how are the Oakland police to be monitored? Will there be an FBI agent in every car?

So if the U.S. Department of Justice takes over the Oakland Police Department as receiver, the city of Oakland could become even more an occupied territory. As in Haiti, the leadership of the Ton Ton Macoutes, Ti Machete death squads and the Haitian National Police are backed up, “monitored” and trained variously by everyone from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to the so-called peacekeeping U.N. MINUSTAH forces and by the U.S. CIA.

This has brought nothing to Haiti but an escalation of paramilitarism and violence directed against the grassroots poor, an assault against the democratic process begun with the 1991 election of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and epidemics of cholera, murder, rape and death spread by the U.N. MINUSTAH troops who have been an occupying force in Haiti since the 2004 coup d’etat orchestrated by the U.S. against Aristide’s first and second democratically elected terms in office.
The multi-racial crowd united to demand that OPD Officer Masso be held accountable for murder. Masso, hired by Oakland despite accusations of brutality as an NYPD officer, shot himself in the foot after shooting Alan and was taken to the hospital immediately while Alan was left for four hours to bleed to death where he fell. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The very same tactics are being used against Black people here. On Nov. 11, 2012, Ben Hartman of the Jerusalem Post reported in his article, “Israeli police chiefs to meet with LAPD,” that 14 Israeli police commanders landed in Los Angeles on Nov. 10, 2012, to “meet with their counterparts in Los Angeles and Washington and discuss the complicated issues of policing in minority communities.” This delegation is in the U.S. as part of a “joint Israel police-Abraham Fund Initiative.”

The most blatant example of this kind of escalation in paramilitary activity in U.S. cities was the decimation of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense in the ‘60s, ‘70s and early ‘80s. What was the alleged “criminal activity” of the Panthers? Their alleged crime was the development of a Ten Point Program to determine the destiny and the empowerment of the African community.

After which, in 1969, then head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation J. Edgar Hoover declared, “The Black Panther Party, without question, represents the greatest threat to internal security of the country,” and pledged that 1969 would be the last year of the party’s existence. Hoover was particularly incensed about the Free Children’s Breakfast Program, which fed children in the African community and simultaneously taught children their true African history.

Interesting words from someone who was known to be such a virulent racist partially because of his hatred of his own genealogical relationship to enslaved Africans and whites on the plantation in Pike County, Mississippi, owned by a branch of the Hoover family. This history is recorded in three books by African author Millie McGhee – “Secrets Uncovered,” “What’s Done in the Dark” and “Drifted Back in Time: Deep Secrets Revealed” – and a documentary film, “What’s Done in the Dark.” Her grandfather was J. Edgar Hoover’s second cousin.

So, even as the BPP Ten Point Program point 7 dealt specifically with putting “an immediate end to police brutality and murder of Black people,” the fight today is against the same police brutality and extrajudicial killings in communities of color that the Black Panther Party fought against for three decades.
Alan’s mother, Jeralyn Blueford, led the closing prayer. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The remedy proposed by the BPP for Self-Defense was profoundly different from that now being proposed by either the City of Oakland – an oversight committee consisting of a compliance director and an assistant chief of constitutional policing to focus solely on OPD compliance with the 2003 NSA mandated reforms – or the law offices of John Burris: federal receivership.

Point 7 of the Black Panther Ten Point Program reads: “WE BELIEVE we can end police brutality in our Black community by organizing Black self-defense groups that are dedicated to defending our Black community from racist oppression and brutality. The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States gives a right to bear arms. We therefore believe that all Black people should arm themselves for self-defense.”

As the Ten Point Program also points out, quoting the Declaration of Independence: “(W)hen a long train of abuses and usurpations pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is (the people’s) right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.”

The City of Oakland does not seem interested in democratic solutions, however. The proposed introduction into an already bad situation of an “oversight committee” chosen from the present city government that has a history of misconduct against Black and other peoples of color seems to indicate this.

A federal receivership does not seem to be a much better option. Yet one of the two options will prevail. A people’s option – community self-defense – is not even on the City’s radar.
Point 7 of the Black Panther Ten Point Program reads: “WE BELIEVE we can end police brutality in our Black community by organizing Black self-defense groups that are dedicated to defending our Black community from racist oppression and brutality.

More police beget more police, and this is how it starts. The use of extrajudicial force and violence begets the use of more extrajudicial force and violence. And the unstable government in Oakland under Mayor Jean Quan continues.

Amid two re-call bids, approximately $58 million paid out in settlement monies to victims of police violence and misconduct, it appears that Jean Quan’s Oakland seeks to grow its own army.

For the purposes of “detecting or preventing terrorist activities,” the FBI is authorized to “visit any place and attend any event that is open to the public.” Somehow, the prospect of an FBI agent walking into a meeting of people struggling to be free and announcing him/herself as an FBI agent is illogical.

Thus, they will be undercover.

And in 2003, Oakland’s then Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan proved himself willing to violate both California Penal Section 407 and a federal consent decree in his use of plain-clothed undercover cops in a violent confrontation with anti-war Port of Oakland and Occupy Oakland protestors on Oct. 26, 2011.

As such, won’t both the city of Oakland and the federal government consider the families protesting the racial profiling of their dead children subversive? How many freedom fighters will the OPD entrap while monitoring, protecting and serving on dark city streets and/or in cyberspace?

The Black Panther Party for Self-Defense proposed that communities monitor communities, rather than going to the enemy police. This is what we should be working toward, not blindly acquiescing to the imposition of a higher level of police to monitor themselves.

Down that road lies madness.

For more information and updates, go to Justice 4 Alan Blueford. Malaika H Kambon is a freelance photojournalist and the 2011 winner of the Bay Area Black Journalists Association Luci S. Williams Houston Scholarship in Photojournalism. She also won the AAU state and national championship in Tae Kwon Do from 2007-2010. She can be reached at kambonrb@pacbell.net.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 pm

see link for full story
http://sfbayview.com/2012/justice-4-ala ... akland-pd/

Justice 4 Alan Blueford – JAB – power punching the Oakland PD
November 29, 2012

by Malaika H Kambon

“This is the Justice 4 Alan Blueford Coalition, or JAB. And we’re going to JAB the City of Oakland Police Department in the ass until they do what they’re supposed to do.” – Jeralyn Blueford, Nov. 10, 2012, on the steps of Oakland Police Department headquarters

In an extremely orderly, peaceful and well-planned demonstration and march led by JAB, approximately 400 community members and organizations spoke out against the racial profiling and murder of young Black and Brown children. They then marched from downtown Oakland to the Seventh and Broadway OPD building, proceeded through West Oakland and then back to downtown, 14th and Broadway outside of Oakland City Hall.

Gathering people along the way, the march always spanned three or four lanes of traffic. Passersby stopped and asked questions. People came out of their homes as the march passed through West Oakland. Motorists honked their horns in solidarity and waited patiently as row upon row of people crossed in front of them.

Traffic was monitored and detoured by people rather than by police. And many of the people in attendance for the entire march and demonstration were new rank and file community people, who came with their children and were not members of any organization.

They came to learn, and learn they did. They learned of the people’s history, from community members and families of slain loved ones who had experienced it first hand. Among other things, they learned that:

On Nov. 5, 2010, an on-duty police officer was sentenced for an on-duty shooting in the state of California for the first time.
On Nov. 7, 2010, Derrick Jones was killed by OPD Officers Perez-Angeles and Dara-Quiroz, two days after the sentencing of Johannes Mehserle, murderer of Oscar Grant III. According to OPD and Alameda County District Attorney records, Angeles and Quiroz had both been involved in the shooting death of Leslie Allen on July 19, 2008.
On New Year’s Eve, 2007, OPD Officer Hector Jimenez shot and killed unarmed Andrew Moppin, one year before Johannes Mehserle murdered Oscar Grant III. Still free seven months later, Jimenez murdered unarmed Jody Woodfox III in July 2008. Jimenez again received paid leave until fired for the killing of Woodfox. Jimenez was the first officer ever fired for the officer-instigated murder of a civilian.
On Sept. 20, 2007, repeat offender OPD Sgt. Patrick Gonzalez murdered 20-year-old Gary King Jr. by shooting him in the back; shot and paralyzed 17-year-old Ameir Rollins in 2006; and murdered for the first time in 2002 by shooting and killing 19-year-old Joshua Russell. Gonzalez remains free to kill again, even after being wounded in the events of March 21, 2009, which left Lovelle Mixon and four Oakland police officers dead. Gonzalez has not ever been charged by the Alameda County DA’s Office nor has he ever been disciplined by OPD internal affairs.
In 2007, NYPD Officer Miguel Masso transferred to the OPD. According to a 2007 civil rights lawsuit, Masso and three other officers were accused of beating, macing, and tasering Rafael Santiago in a 52nd precinct station house in the central Bronx. On May 6, 2012, OPD officer Miguel Masso shot and killed Alan Dwayne Blueford, then shot himself in the foot. Masso was immediately transported to the hospital. Alan Blueford was left where he lie where he fell, to bleed out for four hours. Alan died of his injuries.

The OPD lies and conflicting reports protect these officers. The Policeman’s Bill of Rights shelters them from accountability, and the nationwide, systemic use of extrajudicial murder allows and encourages police departments to perpetuate a culture of racist violence.

On Dec. 18, 2012, Angela Davis and family members of victims of police brutality will come together from across the country to strengthen the growing movement against racial profiling, police brutality and what Michelle Alexander has characterized as “The New Jim Crow” in her book of the same name. Grieving families from Oakland to Anaheim to New York City will unite on what would have been Alan Blueford’s 19th birthday to demand justice in the wake of an epidemic of racist police murders.

This kind of grassroots organizing will continue to occur. Awareness will continue to grow. For as long as the sons and daughters of AFRIKA, Asia and Latin America, Indigenous people and other communities of the global people of color majority continue to be murdered because of the melanin in our skins, the fight for liberation will continue.
Adam Blueford, father of Alan Blueford, leads the Nov. 10 march for justice for the unarmed 18-year-old murdered by Oakland PD for no reason on May 6, 2012, just before his high school graduation. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
This is part of the message sworn to by nearly 400 people in the streets of Oakland fighting to end the racial profiling that is decimating the ranks of Black and Brown children across the U.S.

Quoting Fannie Lou Hamer’s message that poor people are “sick and tired of being sick and tired,” of having to behold the tears of families crying as we bury our youth and our futures, speaker after speaker testified from the pulpit of the church in the streets – which is also a blood drenched battlefield in this corner of California called Oakland.

That is at least one child per month, buried before his or her time.

This is neither random, nor accidental, nor the work of so called rogue cops. This is standard operating procedure in the U.S., according to “Every 36 Hours: Report on the Extrajudicial Killing of 120 Black People,” compiled by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement.

The use of deadly, extrajudicial force against Black people is woven into the very fabric of U.S. society. This is unacceptable.

Yet on Nov. 15, 2012, Oakland city officials rejected a motion filed by prominent civil rights attorneys John Burris and Jim Chanin asking federal District Judge Thelton Henderson to place the OPD under federal receivership. The rejection came in spite of the fact that the OPD has not complied with the 51 reforms set forth in a negotiated settlement agreement (NSA) reached after Oakland agreed to pay $10.9 million in damages and attorneys’ fees in a settlement between the city and 119 plaintiffs in the infamous Riders case.
South African activist Mazibuko Jara spoke to the crowd. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The Riders case came about when Oakland Police Department Officers Clarence Mabanag, Jude Siapno and Matthew Hornung were arrested, fired, charged and/or convicted of kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, planting false evidence and filing false police reports. A fourth officer, Frank Vazquez, fled to Mexico and has been sought by the FBI since the year 2000.

Coincidentally, Mabanag’s attorney in the case was Michael Rains, the same Rains who got Johannes Mehserle’s murder charge reduced to involuntary manslaughter in the killing of Oscar Grant III on New Year’s Eve 2009.

Federal receivership – or not – of the OPD will be decided in a Dec. 13, 2012, hearing.

But wouldn’t the federal takeover of the OPD be a mere red herring to give credence to the department’s actions as being “out of control,” when in actuality Oakland’s chief of police, backed by the mayor’s office, is very definitely directing what its police force does?

The Oakland Rider case was settled in 2003. Yet in the intervening years from 2003 to 2012, instances of Oakland Police Department misconduct and murder have escalated.

And extrajudicial killing, as illustrated by the Rider case, is always determined, governed, sanctioned and controlled. The puppeteer always pulls the strings of the puppet.
The march route led from downtown Oakland to OPD headquarters at Seventh and Broadway, through West Oakland and back to 14th and Broadway. On 14th Street, people cheered, threw up a fist, took photos on their cell phones, joined in and came out of their shops to watch. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
So why would anyone think that the appropriate remedy to the problem of a racist, extrajudicial, killer police department is the federal government stepping in and placing said department into receivership? To what avail? Information would be gathered. But to what avail would such information gathering be used? Would the information gathered be secret? Would it be made public? What actions would be taken? When would the federal government leave?

And most importantly, who would monitor the “monitors of the monitors”?

According to Wikipedia’s definition, federal receivership is “a remedy of last resort in litigation involving the conduct of executive agencies that fail to comply with constitutional or statutory basic human rights.”

Remedy?

But the federal government – FBI – is also author of the infamous, domestic surveillance and counterintelligence program known as COINTELPRO. COINTELPRO was based specifically upon the principles of disruption, disunity and divisiveness. It was designed to monitor and “neutralize” domestic groups deemed to be a “danger to national security.” People monitored included anti-war, civil and human rights groups, self-defense organizations and individuals. This meant everyone from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to the Weather Underground to Professor Ward Churchill; from the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee to El Hajj Malik el Shabazz to the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense to the American Indian Movement (AIM) to grand jury resisters to environmental groups saving trees – from Judi Bari to Jesse Jackson.

In earlier years, the FBI “monitored” to “neutralize” both Marcus Mosiah Garvey and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Tim Killings of the Laney College Black Student Union brought his fire to the rally. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The FBI monitored everything, including telephone conversations, public speeches, travel, apartment purchases, work places, public meetings, yacht cruises, even the trash you put in your garbage can.

Yet none of the above is an illegal act.

Dr. Huey P. Newton’s book, “War Against the Panthers: A Study of Repression in America,” states: “Of the 295 documented actions taken by COINTELPRO alone to disrupt Black groups, 233 – or 79 percent – were specifically directed toward destruction of the [Black Panther] Party. Over $100 million of taxpayers’ money was expended for COINTELPRO; over $7 million of it allocated for 1967 alone to pay off informants and provocateurs, twice the amount allocated in the same period by the FBI to pay organized crime informants” (pages 53-54).

The book goes on to state, “The vast arsenal of techniques employed by the bureau against the BPP were tried and tested over the years in foreign espionage,” and quotes William C. Sullivan, former assistant to J. Edgar Hoover as saying that the same techniques that were used against Soviet agents were “brought home against any organization against which we were targeted. We did not differentiate. This is a rough, tough business” (page 54).

The FBI engaged in or encouraged a variety of actions intended to cause – and in fact causing – deaths of BPP members, loss of membership and community support, draining of revenues from the party, false arrests of members and supporters, and defamatory discrediting of constructive party programs and leaders” (page 54). In conjunction with the CIA, military “counterinsurgency experts” and the newly formed DEA (in 1973), the FBI had the authority to “request wiretaps and no-knock warrants … and to enter residences surreptitiously, distribute misleading information, plant phony evidence, and conduct even more extreme clandestine assignments” (page 49).
The next generation of freedom fighters inspired the crowd at the rally. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
Media “assets” – the SF Examiner’s Ed Montgomery for example – manufactured lies out of whole cloth and posted articles written by FBI officers in major mainstream newspapers in order to target and discredit key people, such as Huey P. Newton, for arrest, conviction and imprisonment (page 61-62). An FBI memorandum to its SF headquarters described Examiner article(s) as part of its “counter-intelligence activities.”

If so, how is this a remedy to the communities being victimized by extrajudicial, racially motivated killings?

The federal government is alleged to be investigating the 2009 murder of Oscar Grant III. The U.S. Department of Justice investigation was to be conducted by its Civil Rights Division, the U.S. Attorney’s office in San Francisco and the FBI. Yet no results have been produced since the investigation began in July of 2010.
So how are the Oakland police to be monitored? Will there be an FBI agent in every car?

So if the U.S. Department of Justice takes over the Oakland Police Department as receiver, the city of Oakland could become even more an occupied territory. As in Haiti, the leadership of the Ton Ton Macoutes, Ti Machete death squads and the Haitian National Police are backed up, “monitored” and trained variously by everyone from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to the so-called peacekeeping U.N. MINUSTAH forces and by the U.S. CIA.

This has brought nothing to Haiti but an escalation of paramilitarism and violence directed against the grassroots poor, an assault against the democratic process begun with the 1991 election of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and epidemics of cholera, murder, rape and death spread by the U.N. MINUSTAH troops who have been an occupying force in Haiti since the 2004 coup d’etat orchestrated by the U.S. against Aristide’s first and second democratically elected terms in office.
The multi-racial crowd united to demand that OPD Officer Masso be held accountable for murder. Masso, hired by Oakland despite accusations of brutality as an NYPD officer, shot himself in the foot after shooting Alan and was taken to the hospital immediately while Alan was left for four hours to bleed to death where he fell. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The very same tactics are being used against Black people here. On Nov. 11, 2012, Ben Hartman of the Jerusalem Post reported in his article, “Israeli police chiefs to meet with LAPD,” that 14 Israeli police commanders landed in Los Angeles on Nov. 10, 2012, to “meet with their counterparts in Los Angeles and Washington and discuss the complicated issues of policing in minority communities.” This delegation is in the U.S. as part of a “joint Israel police-Abraham Fund Initiative.”

The most blatant example of this kind of escalation in paramilitary activity in U.S. cities was the decimation of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense in the ‘60s, ‘70s and early ‘80s. What was the alleged “criminal activity” of the Panthers? Their alleged crime was the development of a Ten Point Program to determine the destiny and the empowerment of the African community.

After which, in 1969, then head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation J. Edgar Hoover declared, “The Black Panther Party, without question, represents the greatest threat to internal security of the country,” and pledged that 1969 would be the last year of the party’s existence. Hoover was particularly incensed about the Free Children’s Breakfast Program, which fed children in the African community and simultaneously taught children their true African history.

Interesting words from someone who was known to be such a virulent racist partially because of his hatred of his own genealogical relationship to enslaved Africans and whites on the plantation in Pike County, Mississippi, owned by a branch of the Hoover family. This history is recorded in three books by African author Millie McGhee – “Secrets Uncovered,” “What’s Done in the Dark” and “Drifted Back in Time: Deep Secrets Revealed” – and a documentary film, “What’s Done in the Dark.” Her grandfather was J. Edgar Hoover’s second cousin.

So, even as the BPP Ten Point Program point 7 dealt specifically with putting “an immediate end to police brutality and murder of Black people,” the fight today is against the same police brutality and extrajudicial killings in communities of color that the Black Panther Party fought against for three decades.
Alan’s mother, Jeralyn Blueford, led the closing prayer. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The remedy proposed by the BPP for Self-Defense was profoundly different from that now being proposed by either the City of Oakland – an oversight committee consisting of a compliance director and an assistant chief of constitutional policing to focus solely on OPD compliance with the 2003 NSA mandated reforms – or the law offices of John Burris: federal receivership.

Point 7 of the Black Panther Ten Point Program reads: “WE BELIEVE we can end police brutality in our Black community by organizing Black self-defense groups that are dedicated to defending our Black community from racist oppression and brutality. The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States gives a right to bear arms. We therefore believe that all Black people should arm themselves for self-defense.”

As the Ten Point Program also points out, quoting the Declaration of Independence: “(W)hen a long train of abuses and usurpations pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is (the people’s) right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.”

The City of Oakland does not seem interested in democratic solutions, however. The proposed introduction into an already bad situation of an “oversight committee” chosen from the present city government that has a history of misconduct against Black and other peoples of color seems to indicate this.

A federal receivership does not seem to be a much better option. Yet one of the two options will prevail. A people’s option – community self-defense – is not even on the City’s radar.
Point 7 of the Black Panther Ten Point Program reads: “WE BELIEVE we can end police brutality in our Black community by organizing Black self-defense groups that are dedicated to defending our Black community from racist oppression and brutality.

More police beget more police, and this is how it starts. The use of extrajudicial force and violence begets the use of more extrajudicial force and violence. And the unstable government in Oakland under Mayor Jean Quan continues.

Amid two re-call bids, approximately $58 million paid out in settlement monies to victims of police violence and misconduct, it appears that Jean Quan’s Oakland seeks to grow its own army.

For the purposes of “detecting or preventing terrorist activities,” the FBI is authorized to “visit any place and attend any event that is open to the public.” Somehow, the prospect of an FBI agent walking into a meeting of people struggling to be free and announcing him/herself as an FBI agent is illogical.

Thus, they will be undercover.

And in 2003, Oakland’s then Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan proved himself willing to violate both California Penal Section 407 and a federal consent decree in his use of plain-clothed undercover cops in a violent confrontation with anti-war Port of Oakland and Occupy Oakland protestors on Oct. 26, 2011.

As such, won’t both the city of Oakland and the federal government consider the families protesting the racial profiling of their dead children subversive? How many freedom fighters will the OPD entrap while monitoring, protecting and serving on dark city streets and/or in cyberspace?

The Black Panther Party for Self-Defense proposed that communities monitor communities, rather than going to the enemy police. This is what we should be working toward, not blindly acquiescing to the imposition of a higher level of police to monitor themselves.

Down that road lies madness.

For more information and updates, go to Justice 4 Alan Blueford. Malaika H Kambon is a freelance photojournalist and the 2011 winner of the Bay Area Black Journalists Association Luci S. Williams Houston Scholarship in Photojournalism. She also won the AAU state and national championship in Tae Kwon Do from 2007-2010. She can be reached at kambonrb@pacbell.net.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 pm

see link for full story
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/E ... 088040.php

East Bay cop to admit guilt in drug case
Justin Berton
Updated 4:37 p.m., Monday, December 3, 2012
inShare

(12-03) 16:33 PST OAKLAND -- The former commander of an elite Contra Costa County police squad will plead guilty this week to charges that he stole narcotics from evidence lockers and tried to sell them back on the street with the help of a private investigator, court records show.

Under a plea deal filed Monday in federal court, Norman Wielsch, 51, will admit to five charges in a 2011 federal indictment in exchange for a lighter sentence.

The charges allege that he stole marijuana and methamphetamines, falsely arrested a suspected drug dealer, and stole cash and cell phones from prostitutes, his attorney said.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 pm

United States Deputy Marshal Charged with Disclosing Identity of Undercover Agent
U.S. Attorney’s Office December 04, 2012

Southern District of Texas (713) 567-9000

MCALLEN, TX—A U.S. deputy marshal has been arrested on allegations he disclosed the identity of an undercover agent who infiltrated a Starr County drug trafficking organization, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced today.

A federal criminal complaint was filed this morning against Deputy U.S. Marshal Lucio Osbaldo Moya, 29, of Rio Grande City charging him with being an accessory after the fact and obstruction of a proceeding. He was arrested late this morning and made his initial appearance just moments ago before U.S. Magistrate Judge Dorina Ramos. He is set to appear again this afternoon at 3:00 p.m. for a bond hearing.

In June 2011, a Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agent posed as a tractor-trailer driver and agreed to transport 1,800 pounds of marijuana in return for $50,000 for Francisco Javier Treviňo, 29, of Mission, and Lauro Arturo Treviňo, Sr., 60, of Roma. That shipment was eventually seized by agents, but Treviňo Sr. later contacted the agent regarding the transportation of another load of marijuana.

Subsequently, Trinidad Dominguez, 43, and Juan Norberto Moya, 51, both of Roma, allegedly asked Treviňo, Sr. to get more information concerning the undercover agent. Treviňo, Sr. then asked Treviňo to get a copy of the undercover agent’s driver’s license, which he did, according to the complaint. Treviňo, Sr. then got into an SUV and allegedly provided the license to its driver. A record check on the Texas license plate of that SUV showed that its registered owner was a brother of Dominguez.

According to the complaint, on October 5, 2011, Deputy U.S. Marshal Moya showed up at work with a copy of the undercover agent’s driver’s license. While at work, Deputy Marshal Moya allegedly approached another deputy marshal and told him a confidential source had given it to him. He further allegedly stated the source was transporting thousands of pounds of marijuana to Houston and that he probably had a corrupt Border Patrol agent at the checkpoint because he had never been caught. Shortly thereafter, according to the complaint, Deputy Marshal Moya had an analyst obtain a color copy of the license and showed it to another deputy U.S. Marshal, at which time Deputy Marshal Moya was told the person depicted in the driver’s license was an HSI agent.

Subsequently, Deputy Marshal Moya was interviewed by Department of Homeland Security-Office of Inspector General agents. The criminal complaint indicates he stated the license was given to him not by a confidential source but by his father, Juan Norberto Moya. He further claimed his father got the copy from someone he only knew as “Lauro” and that the reason his father gave it to him was so he could pass it along to another agency in an effort to become a confidential source. During the meeting, agents allegedly told Deputy Marshal Moya the HSI agent was working undercover conducting drug trafficking investigations, and all agreed to keep the information secret for the safety and well-being of the agent.

According to the criminal complaint, Deputy U.S. Marshal Moya left the meeting and allegedly sent a text message to his father indicating that the person depicted in the driver’s license was a federal agent.

During the course of the investigation, agents conducted a forensic examination of Deputy U.S. Marshal Moya’s work computer. The examination allegedly showed that on October 5, 2011, he conducted several searches on Yahoo and Facebook of the name of undercover agent.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Moya is charged with assisting his father by informing him of the status of the undercover law enforcement agent in order to hinder and prevent his apprehension, trial, and punishment and that he did corruptly influence, obstruct, and impede the due and proper administration of the law.

Moya faces up to 20 years in prison and a possible $2.5 million fine if convicted of being an accessory after the fact. He could also receive another five years in federal prison for obstruction of a proceeding, upon conviction, as well as a another $250,000 fine.

The case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations, Department of Justice-Office of Inspector General, and the FBI. Assistant United States Attorney Anibal J. Alaniz is prosecuted the case.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 pm

see link for inmate
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/us/secret ... ost-tapes/

Secret Service tapes lost on train under investigation
By Brian Todd, John King and Joe Johns, CNN
December 7, 2012

Secret Service information was left on D.C. subway system in 2008
Contractor was transporting the tapes
Agency says the information was safeguarded
Security expert questions how tapes were being transported

Washington (CNN) -- It might remind you of the new smash-hit James Bond movie "Skyfall", in which the villains steal a device with top secret information on the identities of British agents.

But in this case, sensitive data was left on a subway train.

Law enforcement and congressional sources tell CNN a contractor working for the U.S. Secret Service accidentally left a pouch containing two computer backup tapes on a train in Washington's Metrorail subway system.

The tapes contained very sensitive Secret Service personnel and investigative information, and if accessed could be highly damaging, according to sources.

The contractor was transporting the pouch from Secret Service headquarters in Washington to a now-closed data facility in Maryland. The sources say the contractor got off a Metro train, and later realized the pouch had been left behind. The Secret Service and the Metro police were contacted, and an aggressive search took place.

According to one source, the tapes have not been recovered.

The incident occurred nearly five years ago, in February 2008. It is now the subject of an investigation by the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General, according to a congressional source.

That office would not comment on why the investigation is taking place now, or on any other aspect of the investigation.
fruhmenschen

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations