Barack Obama Jack Ryan 2004 Senate Race

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Barack Obama Jack Ryan 2004 Senate Race

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

I've been thinking lately about the prominent rise of Barack Obama and the 2004 Illinois Senate race against Jack Ryan, in which Ryan crashed and burned when his divorce records were unsealed and the Republicans subsequently ran Alan Keyes, as a carpetbagger who “moved” to Illinois to run for the seat late in the race. Keyes ran a disastrous and doomed campaign that launched Obama's rise. Ryan dropped out of the race in late June. Obama gave the keynote speech at the Democratic convention in late July.

I was thinking about this after reading the What Happens to Presidents thread, and so I did an RI search for a prior thread that touched on the subject, which led me to doing some general searching of newspaper archives to get back to the original material.

I had to wade through a lot of right-wing crap, including a top link from Ann Coulter's blog, since apparently this topic became one of interest among those circles in the 2012 election in relation to Romney's tax records. Some of them had some interesting tidbits, but there were enough obvious factual errors and spurious assertions I couldn't stand to put much time in checking out the reliability of said interesting tidbits.

That said, I'm trying to put together a data dump of info related to this specific part of Obama's political career in order to illuminate the circumstances of his rise to the presidency.

What happens to presidents thread
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36764

Chicago Tribune: Court sets release date of Ryan's divorce file
http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-0406180364jun18,0,169467.story

By Michael Martinez and Rick Pearson Tribune staff reporters

June 18, 2004
LOS ANGELES—
Dealing a blow to the U.S. Senate candidacy of Republican Jack Ryan, a California judge ruled that several sealed divorce records likely to embarrass the candidate and his ex-wife should be opened to the public.

Ruling on a request brought by attorneys for the Tribune and WLS-TV, Superior Court Judge Robert Schnider acknowledged that the resulting publicity from the disclosure would be harmful to the couple's son, a key argument Ryan had raised in seeking to keep the documents from public view.

Related
Jeri Ryan Jeri Ryan

Ads by Google
But Schnider said he had weighed the public interest of disclosure against the private interests of the Ryans and their child. "In the end," Schnider found, "the balance tips slightly to the public.

"They were aware they were in a public court system and protection from embarrassment cannot be a basis for keeping from the public what's put in public courts," said Schnider, referring to Ryan and his ex-wife, actress Jeri Lynn Ryan. Additionally, Schnider said, "the openness of court files must be maintained, so that the public ... can be assured that there is no favoritism shown to the rich and the powerful."

Schnider ruled that allegations the Ryans made against each other in their 1999 divorce would be released, though documents directly pertaining to the welfare of the couple's 9-year-old son would remain under seal. He acknowledged that in approving the release of the documents, "the nature of publicity generated will become known to the child and have a deleterious effect on the child."

The judge did not elaborate on the nature of the allegations.

The case files are to be publicly released on June 29, Schnider ruled. Attorneys for Ryan, the wealthy investment banker turned teacher who won the March Republican Senate primary, and for his former wife said they had to consult with their clients before commenting on whether they would appeal. Jeri Ryan has starred in such television shows as "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Boston Public."

Chicago Tribune: Ryan file a bombshell
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0406220247jun22,0,3744432.story

By John Chase and Liam Ford Tribune staff reporters

June 22, 2004
Republican U.S. Senate nominee Jack Ryan's ex-wife, TV actress Jeri Ryan, accused him of taking her to sex clubs in New York and Paris, where he tried to coerce her into having sex with him in front of strangers, according to records released Monday from the couple's California divorce file.

Jack Ryan denied the allegations when they were made in 2000, when the couple was engaged in a bitter child custody battle a year after their divorce.

Related
His honesty questioned, Ryan vows to stay in race His honesty questioned, Ryan vows to stay in race

Ads by Google
The papers were released by California Judge Robert Schnider following his decision last week to unseal portions of the Ryans' divorce file.

Attorneys for the Tribune and WLS-Ch. 7 sought release of the records, but the Ryans had fought disclosure because they said it could harm their son. The Ryans decided not to appeal Schnider's ruling.

The political impact of the revelations on Jack Ryan's candidacy will play out over the next several days. One prominent Illinois Republican, U.S. Rep. Ray LaHood of Peoria, said he was "shocked" that Ryan would run for public office carrying such baggage and called on him to get out of the race.

Reaction from other Republicans ranged from caution to outright defense of Ryan.

"We're not looking at trying to replace Jack Ryan. He's an excellent candidate," said Dan Allen, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee. "We feel this race will be decided on the issues."

Still, other Republicans acknowleged that Ryan's political future was in doubt. An adviser to President Bush said the revelation made it more likely the Bush-Cheney campaign would steer clear of Illinois.

Ryan is facing Democrat Barack Obama in the November general election to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (R-Illinois). Obama said it would not be "appropriate" for him to comment on the revelations. "Obviously Mr. Ryan and his supporters will be discussing this and I don't think that's my role," Obama said.

Among the hundreds of pages of documents released was a legal filing dated June 9, 2000, in which Jeri Ryan said she knew her marriage was over by the spring of 1998. She went on to contend that her then-husband--whom she repeatedly refers to as "respondent" in the filing--surprised her with trips to the cities but didn't tell her he planned to bring her to sex clubs while there.

"They were long weekends, supposed `romantic' getaways," Jeri Ryan said in the filing. "The clubs in New York and Paris were explicit sex clubs. Respondent had done research. Respondent took me to two clubs in New York during the day. One club I refused to go in. It had mattresses in cubicles. The other club he insisted I go to."

In releasing the files, Schnider allowed many passages to be blacked out. In the portions that were released, Jeri Ryan gave details of the trips she says she was taken on to clubs in New York and Paris. She also alleged that Jack Ryan took her to a sex club in New Orleans, but no elaboration on that trip was included in the released portion of the file.

In responding to Jeri Ryan's charges, Jack Ryan six days later described the accusations as "ridiculous" and accused her of trying to "libel" him with what he called "smut." He implied that his ex-wife had made them to ruin his reputation as he contemplated a political career.

"I was faithful and loyal to my wife throughout our marriage," Jack Ryan said in the filing. "I did arrange romantic getaways for us but that did not include the type of activities she describes. We did go to one avant-garde nightclub in Paris, which was more than either one of us felt comfortable with. We left and vowed never to return," Jack Ryan said.

He also accused Jeri Ryan of hiding a love affair from him while they were married.

On Monday, following the release of the documents, Ryan was asked several times by reporters if he stuck by his claim in the divorce file that the charges from his ex-wife were untrue. He declined to answer directly, referring repeatedly to his statement in the divorce file.

Ryan said he fought release of the files not to avoid personal and political embarrassment but to protect his son.

"A lot of people were saying to me the last three months it's politically damaging to keep these files sealed, just release the files," Ryan said. "But what dad wouldn't do the same thing I did? What dad wouldn't try to keep information about your child, that might be detrimental to the world knowing, private? Even the things moms and dads say to each other, about each other, should be kept away from children."

Ryan's campaign on Monday released a statement attributed to Jeri Ryan in which she did not retract the allegations about the sex clubs but also went on to declare that her ex-husband had never been abusive or unfaithful during their marriage.

Chicago Tribune: Ryan quits race
http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-0406260116jun26,0,5023725.story

aff reporters. Tribune staff reporters Christi Parsons, Ray Long, John Chase, David Mendell and Rick Pearson contributed to this report

June 26, 2004
Beleaguered Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Jack Ryan ended his campaign Friday, leaving his party scrambling to find a replacement with enough money and magnetism to mount a serious challenge against Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

Ryan had been under attack by a wide range of party leaders for a lack of candor following the release this week of previously sealed records from his divorce from TV actress Jeri Ryan, giving rise to what one prominent Republican called "buyer's remorse."

Ads by Google
Jack Ryan had fought the release, insisting he was trying only to protect his son and not to hide embarrassing information. But the files showed Jeri Ryan had accused her ex-husband of taking her to sex clubs and trying to pressure her into having sex in front of others.

Ryan met with staff Friday morning to inform them of his decision to quit the race. Later, he issued a statement explaining he was stepping down because a fixation on the divorce charges meant that a "debate between competing visions and philosophies" could not take place in the Senate race.

"What would take place, rather, is a brutal, scorched-earth campaign--the kind of campaign that has turned off so many voters, the kind of politics I refuse to play," Ryan said.

Republican pressure on Ryan to step aside began Monday with the release of the files, including one document in which Ryan vigorously denied the allegations of his ex-wife.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Schnider released the information as the result of motions filed by the Chicago Tribune and WLS-Ch. 7.

Calls for Ryan's withdrawal intensified throughout the week as party officials--saying Ryan misled them about the extent of his ex-wife's allegations--warned of the damage he could do to an already struggling party's chances in November.

On Thursday, U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert of Plano and state GOP chairwoman Judy Baar Topinka called U.S. Sen. George Allen, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. They asked him to pull the plug on Ryan's campaign, according to a GOP source who spoke frequently with top Ryan campaign staffers.

Ryan held out until Friday, as U.S. Sen. Peter Fitzgerald, whom Ryan was seeking to replace, and some other GOP senators urged him to fight on. Even before the release of the court files, Ryan had trailed Obama by a wide margin in public opinion polls, and his decision to quit came after his campaign commissioned yet another poll to gauge public response to the growing divorce file controversy, the Republican source said.

The results arrived Friday morning and convinced Ryan that he had been too damaged by the revelations to recover, the source said.

On Friday, Topinka said Ryan's "decision was a personal one." She denied that the state Republican Party pressured Ryan to drop out, saying state leaders recently backed off to ensure Ryan felt it was his decision alone.

"He had a lot of great ideas, but they probably would have been overshadowed by this controversy," Topinka said. "We appreciate what he did for the greater good of the party."

Meanwhile, Obama, a Democratic state senator, praised the work Ryan has "done as a teacher and as a civic leader throughout the state."

"What happened to him over the last three days was unfortunate," Obama said. "It's not something I certainly would wish on anybody. And having said that, from this point forward, I think we will be continuing to talk about the issues."

The Smoking Gun: Senate Race Sex Scandal
Actress says Illinois pol sought liaisons in kinky clubs

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/senate-race-sex-scandal

JUNE 22--In what may prove a crippling blow to his U.S. Senate campaign, divorce records reveal that Illinois Republican Jack Ryan was accused by his former wife, actress Jeri Ryan, of pressuring her to have sex at swinger's clubs in New York, Paris, and New Orleans while other patrons watched.

The bombshell allegation is contained amidst nearly 400 pages of records ordered released yesterday by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge who ruled on media requests to unseal documents from the Ryan case. The salacious charge leveled at the politician was made by Jeri Ryan, who has starred in TV's "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Boston Public," in a court filing in connection with child custody proceedings.

You'll find a portion of that heavily redacted September 2000 document here.

The performer alleged that she refused Ryan's requests for public sex during the excursions, which included a trip to a New York club "with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling." While Ryan, a former Goldman Sachs executive, confirmed the trips with the actress, he described them simply as "romantic getaways," denying her claims that he sought public sex.

The politician has repeatedly claimed that his divorce file--portions of which were sealed in 2000 and 2001--contained no embarrassing information that would harm his chances against Democratic nominee Barack Obama. The Ryans were married in 1991 and, in November 1998, Jeri Ryan filed for divorce citing "irreconcilable differences."

Another unsealed document reveals that Jeri Ryan, as part of the divorce settlement, received about $20 million in Goldman Sachs stock, while Jack Ryan retained a $40 million stake in the investment giant. (8 pages)

Fox News: Ryan Drops Out of Ill. Senate Race
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/06/25/ryan-drops-out-ill-senate-race/

Published June 25, 2004
FoxNews.com

CHICAGO – Republican Jack Ryan (search) dropped out of the Illinois Senate race Friday, saying he wanted to avoid a "brutal, scorched-earth campaign" that was likely to follow the recently-revealed disclosure of sex club allegations made in his divorce records.

Ryan's 1999 divorce from "Boston Public" actress Jeri Ryan (search) made news four days ago when unsealed court papers showed she alleged that he asked her to have sex with him in nightclubs while others watched.

Ryan denied the allegations, and his ex-wife issued a statement of support for her former spouse.

Click here to view Ryan's divorce records.

"It's clear to me that a vigorous debate on the issues most likely could not take place if I remain in the race," Ryan said in a statement on Friday.

"What would take place, rather, is a brutal, scorched-earth campaign — the kind of campaign that has turned off so many voters, the kind of politics I refuse to play. Accordingly, I am today withdrawing from the race."

Ryan decided to bow out of the race to replace Republican Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (search) after Illinois GOP leaders urged him to quit.

Before Ryan's departure from the race, U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert (search) said the candidate had "very little support" in the Illinois congressional delegation. Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Ill., who had publicly called on Ryan to step down, went farther, saying: "I don't think there's any support."

At a news conference shortly after Ryan's announcement Friday, state Republican leaders said that Ryan was not forced out of the race and that national GOP officials still believe the state is winnable.

Illinois Republican Party chairwoman Judy Baar Topinka said the party hoped to have a new candidate with in three weeks to replace Ryan.

After Ryan's announcement, Hastert said Ryan "made the right decision" and added that he is confident the Illinois Republican Party "will select a candidate who will unite Republicans throughout this state and quickly launch a winning campaign."

Among the candidates who could replace Ryan are dairy owner James Oberweis and state Sen. Steve Rauschenberger, both of whom lost to Ryan in the primary. Also mentioned as possible replacements have been former state Board of Education Chairman Ron Gidwitz, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald and former Gov. Jim Edgar, who said he wasn't interested. Rauschenberger suggested the party might also ask Sen. Fitzgerald to reconsider his decision to resign.

Aides to the candidate had concluded that he could not have succeeded in his contest against Democratic state Sen. Barack Obama (search) unless he redoubled his campaign efforts with a massive infusion of cash from his personal fortune and a negative turn. That decision followed overnight polling to gauge his support in the wake of the allegations.

Ryan was said to have refused to take that route.

Republicans are now at a definite disadvantage as they try to come up with an alternative to take on Obama. Illinois Republican Party leaders were planning to meet Friday afternoon to discuss the next step.

Obama, who had been leading polls since the March primary, avoided getting in the way of Ryan's fall, and said Friday he didn't care to talk about the allegations.

"I feel for him actually," Obama said on WLS-AM. "What he's gone through over the last three days I think is something you wouldn't wish on anybody. Unfortunately, I think our politics has gotten so personalized and cut-throat that it's very difficult for people to want to get in the business."

Ryan's dropping out had little to do with winning the seat, but rather was motivated more about concern that he would pull down Republican candidates for other seats, said several party strategists.

But not everyone had wanted to see Ryan drop out. Fitzgerald — who is resigning after one term in the Senate — and the National Republican Senatorial Committee stood by him.

Fitzgerald said Friday that he had encouraged Ryan to stay in the race, calling the response to the scandal "grotesque."

"I told him that it troubled me greatly that so many party leaders who had no trouble stomaching years and years of corruption and insider deals and scandals under George Ryan [no relation to Jack Ryan] were now lining up to throw stones at Jack," Fitzgerald said.

"I think the public stoning of Jack Ryan is one of the most grotesque things I've seen in politics," he said. He said he talked to Ryan on Thursday but hadn't spoken with him since then.

After the records were disclosed on Monday, Jeri Ryan did not comment on the allegations, but said her ex-husband would make a good senator. The two fought the unsealing, saying it would harm their 9-year-old son. The Chicago Tribune and Chicago TV station WLS sued to have the records released.

Ryan, 44, was a political neophyte when he got into the race, a millionaire investment banker who had left business four years ago to teach at an all-boys parochial school in Chicago. He spent $3 million of his own money to win the Republican primary.

With his telegenic looks and Harvard background, Ryan was seen by many as the party's best hope of revitalization in Illinois after a devastating 2002 election, in which state Republicans lost control of the governor's office and nearly every statewide office, and an ongoing corruption scandal involving former Gov. Ryan, who has since been indicted.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/06/25 ... z2ZGHbOwNx
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Barack Obama Jack Ryan 2004 Senate Race

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 pm

I didn't find this very illuminating, but it was one of the few articles I could find asking the question at all in 2004. In 2008 and 2012 many right leaning political sites allege the Obama campaign got the docs unsealed.

Slate: Why unseal Jack Ryan's divorce papers?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2004/06/why_unseal_ryans_divorce_papers.html

Neither Jack nor Jeri wanted them unsealed. What gives?

By Brendan Koerner|Posted Wednesday, June 23, 2004, at 6:05 PM

Records from the 1999 divorce of Illinois Senate candidate Jack Ryan were unsealed Monday, and the revelations contained therein are spooking some of his supporters. The documents contain allegations from his ex-wife, actress Jeri Ryan, that her then-husband had a predilection for taking her to raunchy sex clubs. Both Ryans opposed the unsealing of the divorce records. Why was the court permitted to overrule their wishes?

Because the First Amendment rights of media organizations generally supercede the privacy rights of litigants, since the American legal system favors transparency in all court proceedings. In the Ryan case, the Chicago Tribune and a Chicago TV station sued in Los Angeles (where the divorce proceedings took place) to unseal the records. In keeping with prior rulings nationwide, the court concluded that the public's right of access outweighed whatever emotional distress the unsealing might cause.
Advertisement

To keep divorce records sealed, a defendant must prove that the release of the documents would cause objective harm to a concerned party, typically a juvenile. Indeed, the Ryans argued that salacious details of their case would damage their 9-year-old son. But the court ultimately concluded that only some of the documents contained information that might damage the child's psyche and unsealed the rest. Unfortunately for Ryan's campaign, the courts don't construe the disclosure of embarrassing sexual quirks as innately harmful.

This is hardly the first time that a politician has tried to prevent a media outlet from digging into his matrimonial secrets. One of the most famous was 1992's In re Keene Sentinel, in which a New Hampshire newspaper sued to unseal the divorce records of former Rep. Chuck Douglas. The New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled that "there is a presumption that court records are public," and that it was up to Douglas prove "with specificity" how the unsealing of the records would cause him harm.

The Ryans' records might never have been sealed at all if not for an unbalanced Trekkie named Marlon Pagtakhan. When Jack Ryan initially asked the court to seal the divorce records in 1999, the judge denied his request. But a year later, Pagtakhan was arrested for stalking Mrs. Ryan, who was then playing the buxom Seven of Nine on the TV show Star Trek: Voyager. In hundreds of sexually explicit e-mails, he made graphic threats against the actress's family. (Pagtakhan was sentenced to five years of probation in 2001.) The stalking was enough to convince the judge that the Ryans' information should be sealed, lest some private details fall into the hands of other deranged fans.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Conservative heart, soul make Keyes tick
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-08-08/news/0408080259_1_keyes-nomination-alan-keyes-senate-candidate-barack-obama
August 08, 2004
|By Liam Ford, Rudolph Bush and John Chase, Tribune staff reporters. Tribune staff reporters Hal Dardick, Rick Pearson and Ray Long contributed to this report

Like many other Americans, Alan Keyes was deeply affected by U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama's keynote address last month at the Democratic National Convention.

Though some felt lifted by a speech extolling the virtues of inclusion, Keyes bristled at Democratic principles he believes have failed America for decades. As the buzz over Obama grew in the days after that speech, Keyes began to see an opportunity for Republicans to attack those Democratic beliefs.

Speaking to the Illinois Republican State Central Committee in a small conference room of Chicago's Union League Club last week, Keyes explained all this and said that Obama's speech was part of the reason he came before the group as it decided who would run against the Democrat in November.

By the end of the night Wednesday, the group had selected Keyes, who is expected on Sunday to officially accept the challenge he heard in Obama's rhetoric.

Keyes "said [he has] read enough about him to know that speech was very typical of Democratic candidates who vote way to the left and then try to run to the middle," said state Sen. Dave Syverson of Rockford, the committee member who pushed for Keyes' nomination.

Keyes, who lives in Maryland, will announce his final decision at a 2 p.m. Sunday rally of supporters in Arlington Heights. GOP officials said Keyes assured them last week that he would accept.

Some see Keyes' entry into the Senate race as an opportunist's play for publicity. His close supporters and longtime friends say Keyes may be opportunistic, but his deeper motivations lie in his yearning to spread his conservative message in a closely watched Senate race.

"His heart and soul motivate him," said his longtime friend and chief of staff, Mary Parker Lewis, whose husband was a graduate student with Keyes at Harvard. "For somebody of his capability, his ambition is a classical ambition. It is not a modern advancement of his personality or his career path."

"He's a strong conservative," said Harvey Mansfield, Keyes' Harvard adviser. "If he were a man dominated by personal ambition, he would have been a liberal or at least a moderate, because he would have made his way up more easily, because most blacks side with the Democratic Party."

Keyes, a former radio and cable-TV talk show host who turned 54 on Saturday, is known for his rousing speaking style steeped in Christian moral philosophy.

He is often denounced by Democrats and dismissed in media reports as an uncompromising abortion foe whose emphasis on the Judeo-Christian roots of the United States Constitution puts him outside the mainstream.

Keyes has only been a loser in politics--he was defeated twice in races for the U.S. Senate seat from Maryland and also mounted two quixotic runs for president, in 1996 and 2000.

Chicago Tribune: Keyes sets up house in Cal City
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-08-13/news/0408130201_1_senate-candidate-alan-keyes-obama-senate-sen-peter-fitzgerald

Fraternal Order of Police gives Obama Senate nod
August 13, 2004|
By Liam Ford and David Mendell, Tribune staff reporters. Tribune staff reporter Gina Kim contributed to this report.

With the unloading of a bed frame, box spring and mattress from a rented Budget truck, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Alan Keyes moved into the second-floor apartment of a Calumet City two-flat Thursday.

Trying to squelch critics' claims that he is a carpetbagger running to represent a state where he's never lived to benefit his public speaking and commentary career, Keyes picked the south suburb because it is "almost a microcosm of Chicago but also of Illinois." The town is ethnically and racially diverse and Keyes' new neighbors include African-Americans, Hispanics and Caucasians.

After asking his staffers, "Where do people who have to work for a living live?" Keyes said he found Calumet City to be a place "where the challenges are real, but where the efforts that have been made to address those challenges are also real."

Calumet City and other nearby towns have suffered a loss of jobs with the closings of many industrial businesses in recent decades.

Two Keyes staffers arrived at the home a little before 8 p.m. and carried the bed parts up the wooden back stairs as downstairs neighbor Yolanda Genus was about to eat dinner.

Although a Democrat and Barack Obama supporter, Genus said she'd be willing to hear out her upstairs neighbor.

"Everybody has their viewpoint," she said. "I'm willing to listen to what he has to say."

Genus also believes Keyes will "do some good for the neighborhood" because he may bring more city services. to the area.Keyes, a former UN ambassador who has raised his family in Maryland, entered the race Sunday, replacing former GOP candidate Jack Ryan. Keyes and Obama are vying to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Peter Fitzgerald, who's not seeking re-election.

Keyes' aides rented the apartment Monday during a quick search for a temporary home that would allow him to establish residence in Illinois.

After visiting the apartment Tuesday, "We went to a restaurant and ate and ending up chatting, I think, three or four hours," with area residents, Keyes said earlier this week. "It was a lot of fun."

Keyes had told his aides that he wanted to find a place to "hang my hat," for the duration of the campaign, and that it should be in a working-class neighborhood out of the way from downtown. Told that his downstairs neighbors were Democrats who support Obama, Keyes replied, "You never know, that might change."

Keyes said he will have to "consult with my wife" about finding a permanent residence if he wins the Senate seat.

Keyes' entrance into the race--and the publicity he has generated--have prompted the Obama campaign to consider spending some of its campaign reserves on TV ads. "We are considering going on TV as early as Monday," said Robert Gibbs, Obama's communications director. He declined to say how much commercial time might be purchased, but Obama had $3 million in the bank at the end of the last campaign-finance reporting period, which ended June 30.

On Thursday, Obama accepted the endorsement of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police. The union endorsement was not particularly surprising, since the FOP endorsed another Democrat, Illinois Comptroller Dan Hynes, in the primary election.
mentalgongfu2

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 pm

First off, thank you for this thread. Having worked politics in Illinois, this is near and dear to my heart. I have had my friends and family calling me "cynical" and "pessimist" since I was quite young, but the reality is I was very naive, and I will continue to be for quite some time. Working in marketing, ghostwriting, and most especially "Opposition Research" has been a successive wakeup call.

Parsing out the whiskey bragging from the actual secrets that would fuck up the only NDAs in my life with real teeth will take me some time. Fortunately, it seems like a few broad strokes have leaked into the public domain:

Via: http://republicannewswatch.com/wp/?p=6273

Mark Kirk was willing participant in Jack Ryan take-down

By DOUG IBENDAHL • June 7, 2010

Mark Kirk is looking for sympathy now that he’s been caught repeatedly lying to the people of Illinois. I’m sure he is sorry – sorry he got caught. Oh that’s right, Kirk doesn’t lie – he “misremembers.”

According to my online dictionary that’s not even a word. But whatever Mark.

The so-called mainstream media continues to shellac Kirk over his made-up military claims. It’s appropriate they do so. However, many outlets are still ignoring the story from last week about Kirk being outed as gay by respected gay reporter Mike Rogers.

A person’s private sex life shouldn’t matter Kirk’s defenders would say – and plenty of reporters and editors want to hide behind that high minded declaration too. And they are even willing to ignore the fact that Mike Rogers’ investigation points to yet another lie by Kirk. Recall during the Primary he specifically denied he was gay. And it all begs the question, if gay is okay, then why lie about it?

These are all topics many reporters want to brush off as “inappropriate” or “beneath the role of the press.”

Of course it was a completely different story in 2004 where Jack Ryan was concerned. Back then there was a feeding frenzy to dig into Jack’s personal life, and most in the media were all too happy to print any unsubstantiated rumor.

And where was Mark Kirk back then? Well not only did he not lift a finger in Jack Ryan’s defense, Kirk was one of the inquisitors who rendered sentence without worrying about the evidence.

As part of the full court press to push Jack off the ballot, then-House Speaker Dennis Hastert assembled all the Republican Congressman from Illinois for a powwow.

The fix was already in of course, but the idea was to come out of the meeting and make a statement to the press, and thereby put more pressure on Jack to withdraw. And that’s exactly what they did, as Fox News reported at the time: “Before Ryan’s departure from the race, U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert said the candidate had ‘very little support’ in the Illinois congressional delegation. Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Ill., who had publicly called on Ryan to step down, went farther, saying: ‘I don’t think there’s any support.’”

So from that alone we can safely surmise that Mark Kirk was perfectly fine with the Ryan witch-hunt. And of course that’s no big surprise. Kirk would have done anything Hastert told him to do.

Mark Kirk has always been all about himself. He had no problem letting Jack Ryan be crucified over a bunch of nothing. Now Kirk wants a completely different standard applied where he is concerned. This despite the fact that Kirk stands accused of much worse things than Ryan ever was.

Doug Ibendahl is a Chicago Attorney and a former General Counsel of the Illinois Republican Party.

Ideological froth aside, you can see the bolded bits matter, and the coverage of Kirk being outed was so muted I don't think it even "happened" officially. Myself, I am keenly aware of the fact Doug might just be spewing some vendetta talking points, and I'm also deeply sympathetic to the life path that drives someone being repressed enough to live that double life, since I've had a few folks in my own family walk that same path, and in the military, too.

I think I can also safely say that huge parts of the TV show Boss were about Kirk's 2010 campaign vs. Giannoulias. (Obviously, most of it was about the Daley clan, but that's hardly a state secret in 2013.)
Wombaticus Rex

Return to Data & Research Compilations