Looking for books on UFOs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Looking for books on UFOs

Postby brownzeroed » Fri May 25, 2007 12:29 am

I know next to nothing on the subject. There are literally thousands to choose from. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? If you could include a short synopsis or link, that would be great. Thanks!
brownzeroed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jingofever » Sat May 26, 2007 12:35 am

I have seen recommendations for "Revelations" by Jacques Vallee. The person who calls himself Wombaticus Rex says:

This book is powerful medicine. Almost the entire tapestry of UFO belief and mythology in the United States, here in 2007, is the result of a deliberate disinformation campaign that Jacques Vallee records in clinical detail here. From Roswell to Dulce to the Greys, Vallee traces how carefully managed “leaks” and con games grow from rumor to legend to commonly accepted fact. This book will disturb you because it is emphatically not a “debunking” but actually opens up even darker possibilities than hostile aliens.

I just got it today so haven't read it. He says of "UFOs and the National Security State" by Richard Dolan: The best-researched, most-credible, least-bullshit UFO book. Can I give a better recommendation than that?

I haven't read it. Don't even have it.
jingofever

Postby brownzeroed » Sat May 26, 2007 1:24 am

That's great, jingo. That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds similar to Dave Emory's argument. Probably better researched though. :)

Are there any books you,or anyone on this board, know of that makes a good case for the opposition - arguing yes, these are extra terrestrials/super natural?

I'm completely agnostic on the subject and want to try to see the bigger picture.
brownzeroed

Postby semper occultus » Sat May 26, 2007 6:28 am

Jaques Vallee was my first thought too - actually there is a "trilogy" of books - Confrontations , Revelations & Dimensions.
JV's work has evolved as he has written alot over the years dating back to the 60's I think ( was the model for the Francois Truffaut character in Close Encounters ) - & is noteworthy in the way he interescts into para-political issues as he progressed towards the concept of UFO beliefs as a "control system" guiding consciousness or humanity in a certain direction & the overlap with cults & extreme politics.
John Keel I would recommend - Operation Trojan Horse.
Timothy Good is probably the main proponent of the nuts & bolts / little green men school of UFOlogy & others Like Stanton Friedman.
An interesting perspective is the work of Charles Fort from the pre-1947 era - who was decades ahead of his time in the area of anomolous phenomena of all sorts.
semper occultus

Postby H_C_E » Sun May 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Echoing those before me, Jaques Vallee. I liked "Messengers of Deception" and "The Invisible College" as much as his trilogy.
And John Keel for me as well. OTH was recommended, but don't forget to check out "The Mothman Prophecies", "Why UFO's" and the "Eigth Tower" if you can find it for a decent price. It's often stupidly expensive. Two other 'should reads' also by Keel are "Our Haunted Planet" and "Disneyland of the Gods." Less scientific, if not compelleing as hell is "They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers" by Grey Barker. It's been reprinted by Illuminet Press, so is now affordable. Interesting thing about Barkers' book is that as it was written in the late fifties or early sixties, it reports the weirder aspects of the UFO phemonenon before others were reporting these things.

Also check out John Keel's friend and colleague Ivan Sanderson. Not all his books are about this, but many are. Use Amazon to narrow them down. Lastly, "The Goblin Universe" by Ted Holiday. While being primarily about the Loch Ness critter, it touches on seemingly unrelated subjects such as the dread 'Men in Black.'

HCE
H_C_E

Postby brownzeroed » Mon May 28, 2007 1:21 am

Looks good.
I forgot about the Mothman. I read it in highschool. Never bothered to see any of Keel's other work. Wish I did.
This should be enough to keep me poor a little longer.

Friedman and Good are tough to find (in bookstores, at least/ I don't do e-purchases).

Thx.
brownzeroed

Postby H_C_E » Mon May 28, 2007 10:11 pm

I've seen titles by Good (although not Friedman) at Boredoms as well as Barnes and Ignoble. And now said stores have little computer kiosks where you can order titles they don't ordinarily carry, including hard to find and out of print titles.

Hate those places myself and have had great experiences with small, privately owned (i.e. independent) book stores who sell through Amazon, other on-line sites. And you can find those who take paypal, checks and money orders via Alibris and Half.com

HCE
H_C_E

Postby brownzeroed » Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks HCE. Good advice.
brownzeroed

/wave

Postby Username » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:53 am

A book that was recommended to me some years ago, and I would not hesitate suggesting to you, since you asked, heh, is William Bramley's The Gods of Eden. 1989

He starts out in Chapter I:

"When I first began researching the origins of human warfare, certainly the furthest thing from my mind were Unidentified Flying Objects, better known as "UFOs." The many flying saucer magazines which once graced the newsstands were, in my opinion, not worthy of serious consideration. I also did not feel that the UFO phenomenon was terribly important even if it was evidence of an extraterrestrial race. Solving the down-to-earth problems of war and human suffering seemed so much more important than arguing over whether or not "little green men from Mars" might occasionally be visiting Earth.

"I began researching this book in 1979; however, my desire to see an end to war arose much earlier in life...

<<skip>>

"...What resulted from this modest goal was one of the most extraordinary odysseys I have ever taken. The trail of investigation wove through a complex labyrinth of remarkable facts, startling theories and everything in between. As I dug ever deeper, a common thread did emerge. To my chagrin, it was a thread so bizarre that on at least two occasions I terminated my research in disgust. As I pondered my predicament, I realized something important: Rational minds tend to seek rational causes to explain human problems.

"As I probed deeper, however, I was compelled to face the possibility that some human problems may be rooted in some of the most utterly bizarre realities imaginable. Because such realities are rarely acknowledged, let alone understood, they are not dealt with. As a result, the problems those realities generate are rarely resolved, and so the world seems to stumble from one calamity to the next.

"I will admit that when I began my research I had a bias about what I was expecting to find: a human profit motive as the common thread which links various third-party influences in mankind's violent history. What I found instead was the UFO.

"Nothing could have been more unwelcome."

Anyway, there are 70 customer reviews of this book on Amazon and it sells for the low low price of $3.67 + shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Eden-William ... 063&sr=8-1

He has recently come out with another book (2005)...sort of odd...

Jesus Goes to Hollywood: The Alternative Theories About Christ

This book has six reviews at Amazon, but they are all 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Goes-Hollyw ... 063&sr=8-2

I plan to get a copy if/when it comes out in paperback.

And now, I would like to find a chemtrail thread because there is a chapter in The Gods of Eden I'd like to submit about the Black Death and reports of mysterious mists and UFO activity preceding outbreaks.

Take Care,
Terry
Username

Bang! Bang!

Postby Username » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:53 am

Username hears a shot overhead...

Then another.

Brownzeroed has been taken out, twice removed, two threads exterminated directly overhead.

No notes. No explanations why. No protests from the anti-censor league.

Damn.

Sorry Browny
Username

Postby brownzeroed » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:24 pm

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
ARRGH!!!
I'm hit!
The weed of crime bears bitter fruit...
Promise me you'll write my sweet Molly in Montreal...

I'm down but surely not out.
For those keeping score at home: No censorship. RI board GOOD. Jeff = Chocolate Chip Cookie. Big Brother is Z double X minus.

For the time being, if anyone asks, tell them I'm Lamont Cranston, curious young man about town. And the occasional tojobo, the younger.

Just taking a much needed rest. Doing a little reading. And in my spare time, maybe infiltrate and overthrow a few secret organizations - the spooky ones with robes, candles and secret handshakes.

And as the great Guy de Maupassant once said:
"The essence of life is the smile of round female bottoms, under the shadow of cosmic boredom."

Who can argue with that?
brownzeroed

good book

Postby teamdaemon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 am

teamdaemon

Postby monster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:09 am

Jacques Vallee's UFO trilogy will be reprinted by anomalist books in 2008:

[Coming in 2008]

The "Alien Contact" Trilogy:
Dimensions by Jacques Vallee
Confrontations by Jacques Vallee
Revelations by Jacques Vallee

Link
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Postby brownzeroed » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:11 pm

monster:
Jacques Vallee's UFO trilogy will be reprinted by anomalist books in 2008:

thx. completely forgot about this thread. I should get off my butt and finally read something by him.
brownzeroed

Postby lunarose » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi BZ!

(those are one of my best friend's initials as well)

Definitely Vallee and Keel. Revelations indeed outlines the set ups, rumor proliferaion and cult aspects of people using the ufo phenomenon for their own purposes of social manipulation. However, in Dimensions and Confrontations he documents his investigations (historical and present day) of actual unexplainable phenoms. Vallee is of the opinion that there is an actual unknown mechanism behind a certain core of ufo reports, and that this process has been ongoing for thousands of years.

In 2000 Jeffrey Mishlove published The PK Man, detailing his decades-long study of Ted Owens, who claimed to be able to influence the weather, lightning, people's behavior, sporting events, etc. through his telepathic connection with two space aliens, Twitter and Tweeter. He also was able to cause ufos to appear on command, and was able to train others in these abilities. The parallels with the phenomena outlined in The Mothman Prophecies are truly striking.

I also enjoy reading Jenny Randles, you can sort through her titles to find ones on the topics you're particularly interested in. She was one of the main investigators of the Rendlesham incident, which Vallee analyzes as a military-sponsored rumor propagation exercise.
lunarose

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News