Bantry Bay?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bantry Bay?

Postby Sepka » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:38 pm

This is probably a longshot, but is there anyone here who lives in or frequents the south of Ireland, particularly Bantry Bay? I would dearly love to have some identifiable bit of debris from the old Gulf terminal on Whiddy Island.
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Unfortunately I'm stuck in Yorkshire for the time being. If I do get to visit the auld sod I'll try to grab a handful.

Debris? Is it yet?

Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem - Bringin' Home the Oil
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Sepka » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Seamus OBlimey wrote:Unfortunately I'm stuck in Yorkshire for the time being. If I do get to visit the auld sod I'll try to grab a handful.

Debris? Is it yet?

Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem - Bringin' Home the Oil

The onshore tanks are still there, but the offloading facility for the Universe class tankers has been a ruin since 1979, when one of them blew up while unloading. I think small tankers still use that port.

And yeah, that song's chiefly why I'm interested. They used to use that here as the soundtrack to a Gulf commercial during the later Apollo missions. The recent discussion of lunar probes started me thinking about it again. The whole concept of the Universe tankers and the Bantry Bay base impressed me, then and now. I love heroic-scale engineering :)

Any help's appreciated :)
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Return to The Lounge & Member News