Billion frame per second theory of consciousness

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby chillin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:45 am

brainpanhandler wrote:I would think your psychiatrist would take this very seriously. I figured you had told her this since you said "...despite all this."

Actually I hadn't mentioned the thing about the 'different people mask' it's very subtle and doesn't seem like it's happening all the time. That does sound schizty, I only mentioned it because of how it relates the the original topic (and tangents are welcome, I was trying to explain why I may have been rambling ot).

the way we perceive the passage of time... If nothing moved at all, nothing... down to subatomic particles and all the way up to the expansion of the universe would time exist?

Movement of particles (or waves I suppose) + time perception + shared consciousness normally perceived as individual + FPS + Interlaced fields... the cosmic answer to everything lies ahead.
:D
chillin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby theeKultleeder » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:19 pm

I had a similar realization about particles re-arranging in space through the flow of time while playing Virtua Fighter on PlayStation One.
theeKultleeder

Postby chillin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Videogames are High Art. Spyro the Dragon helped me rebuild my mind a few times lol. Just chill out, chase the little dragon around... nothing to worry about man. Modern mental health facilities should be stocked with benign videogames like that to help people rehabilitate, it's like meditation.

chillin

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm

I bought this awhile ago. You might enjoy it.

http://www.av3x.com/
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Ziggin' and a Zaggin' » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

brainpandler said:

I bought this awhile ago. You might enjoy it.

I searched the "testimonials" page and couldn't find anyone called "brainpanhandler"... and it's your opinion that I would prefer to read since you've had it for a while and have presumably used it.

It's difficult for me to take testimonials seriously because these could be easily faked by a product's promoter.

I would put more trust in your opinion, brainpan.
Ziggin' and a Zaggin'

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Chillin, I know you've seen this, but in case you have forgotten

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... hp?t=10276
Joe Hillshoist

Postby theeKultleeder » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:37 pm

hey that's great! Freestyle digital sigil-maker? Maybe we can start a new thread.

Good to have you back Mr. Hillshoist. Cheers
theeKultleeder

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 pm

ZZ,

Forget the "It'll change your life" crap on Oliver's website. He seriously needs to enlist the aid of someone to help him redesign his site.

A refresher and/or primer in case your in need of one:

The AV3x dvd utilizes pulsed light that is probably in the alpha/theta range.
Wiki-brainwave activity and it’s correlates

A brief overview.
brainwave entrainment

I use this just about every day. Oliver wrote some of the programs on this machine.
Photosonix nova pro 100

I came by the Av3x dvd via this site-
Zoe7 Av3x review

My review- It's enchanting.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby theeKultleeder » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 pm

brainpan, aren't technology induced ASCs just as flawed as drug induced ones? I know it's an old saw in the psychedelic community, but doesn't a traditional contemplative practice offer the best route to mastery of Altered States of Consciousness?
theeKultleeder

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am

Oh, Kult... ever the argumentative sob. This is a good conversation to have though and that is a good question. You're a purist. I sort of guard my brain by avoiding coming in contact with information prematurely that I think would bias my own perceptions and conclusions. One draw back is that I tend to flounder around quite a bit.

I assume you mean "flawed" in that some outside agency factors into the experience. One of the things I dislike about Oliver's site and his godawful sales pitch is this notion of instant meditation assisted by technology. "Just push a button and your life will be changed forever". He's just trying to make a living though. It really is a very powerful and enchanting experience.

We've been artificially inducing altered states of consciousness for a very long time. Whether it be drums and chanting and staring into a fire or the latest in brainwave entrainment tech.

I once had a resident assistant in a dorm send me to a psychologist. When I explained to the psychologist why I had been sent to him he related to me how so much that was good and evolved about himself came directly from his psychedelic experiences as a young man. One of his areas of expertise was hypnosis. He used hypnosis on collegiate and professional atheletes to improve their performance. He hypnotized me and then taught me self hypnosis. I can still use those same techniques to enter a theta state.

Maybe it is fair to say that it would be better if one first learned how to enter altered states without the aid of any outside agency.

How would you define "mastery"?
brainpanhandler

Postby theeKultleeder » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 am

Oh, brainpan, I am not a purist. I wanted to see how you would respond!

I'm not some dedicated ascetic meditating away, but if I found myself in the woods without a computer, boombox, drugs, or a drum, I'm sure I could alter my state through prayer, breath, and contemplation.

"Mastery" is something I don't possess, but it is something like entering into the knowledge of a hundred million universes throughout the "three times" of the past, future and present, and then coming back out of that state in a second and a half.

High standards!
theeKultleeder

Postby chillin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:Chillin, I know you've seen this, but in case you have forgotten

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... hp?t=10276

Actually I commented on that thread without having checked what was linked - how fun!

Brainpanhandler wrote:I bought this awhile ago. You might enjoy it.

I've seen it advertised on Zoe7's site where I think he recommends it as a companion to a salvia trip. Looks like like it could melt in your brain or vise-versa =) I've never used one of those brainmachines, but I've had an EEG (light strobing in my eyes while having brainwaves measured) and had weird visions and sensations, it made me pass out lol.

I watched the AV3X preview clip... "enchanting" is an apt description.
chillin

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:57 am

Kult wrote:I wanted to see how you would respond!

Interesting choice of words. This is different than saying "I wanted to hear your answer".

Kult wrote:...if I found myself in the woods without a computer, boombox, drugs, or a drum, I'm sure I could alter my state through prayer, breath, and contemplation.

Yah, I get that and there are worse places one could find themselves in where such skill might be even more valuable to have. Everything that enters my brain is psychoactive in some sense. Life is psychoactive. Pranayama is a profound practice. You know of my interest in Reich. I came to Reich via RAW.

From The Great Beast- Aleister Crowley

RAW wrote:V -- The Hierophant

Be thou athlete with the eight limbs of Yoga; for without these thou art not disciplined for any fight.

– The Book of Thoth

Early in February, 1901, in Guadalajara, Mexico, the Beast began seriously working on dharana, the yoga of concentration. The method was that long used in India: holding one single image in the mind - a red triangle – and banishing all other words or pictures. This is in no wise any easy task, and I, for one would have much more respect for Aleister's critics and slanderers if there were any shred of evidence that they ever attempted such self-discipline, and, attempting it, managed to stay with it until they achieved results.

For instance, after three weeks of daily practice, the Beast recorded in his diary that he had concentrated that day for 59 minutes with exactly 25 "breaks" or wanderings from the triangle: 25 breaks may not sound so great to those who haven't tried this; a single hour, however, will convince them that 3600 breaks, or one per second is close to average for a beginner.

Toward the end of April, the Beast logged 23 minutes with 9 breaks; on May 6th, 32 minutes and 10 breaks. I repeat: anyone who think Acid or Jesus or Scientology has remade his or her life ought to attempt a few weeks of this; it is the clearest and most humiliating revelation of the compulsive neurosis of the "normal" ego.

On August 6 the Beast arrived in Ceylon, still working on daily dharana – oh yes, in Honolulu he'd had an affair with a married woman, later celebrated in his sonnet sequence Alice: An Adultery, published under the auspices of his fictitious "Society for the Propagation of Religious Truth": his critics always mention that, to prove that he wasn't sincere; one sometimes gets the cynical notion that these critics are either eunuchs or hypocrites.

Under the guidance of Sri Parananda and an old friend, Allan Bennett, now the Buddhist monk Maitreya Ananda, he plunged into the other "seven limbs" of yoga. I say that his mountain-climbing involved less self-discipline. I will not argue; I will give a hint only. Here are the first two steps in beginning to do pranayama:

1. Learn to breathe through your two nostrils alternately. When this becomes easy, practice exhaling through the right nozzle for no less than 15 seconds and then inhaling through the left orifice for a like time. Practice until you can do this without strain for 20 or 30 minutes.

2. Now begin retention of breath between inhalation and exhalation. Increase the period of retention until you can inhale for 10 seconds, retain for 30 second and exhale for 20 seconds. This proportion is important: if you inhale for as long as, or longer than, the exhalation, you are screwing up. Practice until you can do this - comfortably - for an hour.

Got it? Good; now you are ready to start doing the real exercises of pranayama. For instance, you can add the "third limb," asana, which consists of sitting like a rock, no muscle moving anywhere; the Hindus

recommend starting with a contortion that seems to have been devised by Sacher-Masoch himself, but choose a position that seems comfortable at first, if you want - it will turn into Hell soon enough.

All this has a point, of course; when pranayama and asana mastered, you can begin to do dharana without constant humiliating failures. Congratulations: now you can add the other "five limbs." Of course, the temptation (especially after your foot is no longer merely asleep but has progressed to a state gruesomely reminiscent of rigor mortis) is to decide that "There isn't anything in yoga after all" or "I just can't do it" and maybe there's something in Christian Science or the Process or probably another acid trip would really get you over the hump.*

Footnote: *Oh yes, brethren and sistern, we have known people capable of much rationalization. Back in 1901, even, the Beast discovered that some of the "lesser yogis," as he called them, used hashish to fuel the last gallop from dharana to dhyana; and he later recommended this to his own disciples - but always with the provision that the results so obtained should be regarded as an indication and foreshadowing of what was sought, not as a substitute for true attainment. The Beast achieved dhyana, the non-ego trance, on October 2, 1901, less than 8 months after beginning serious dharana in Guadalajara.

I have attempted Dharana and similar practices (one is found in Gestalt Therapy). I am nothing if not patient. Discipline.... bumping up against one's limits. I liken it to a blind man feeling his way through a tunnel. I'll take shortcuts when I discover them. We don't live long enough not to.

At the moment I am trying to make my way through Taoist Yoga- Alchemy and Immortality by Charles Luk. Do you read the comments of Jeff's blog? You might enjoy Drew Hempel (Great Galactic Ghoul). I'm reading this damn book on his recommendation. I really must be nuts.
brainpanhandler

Postby theeKultleeder » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:50 am

brainpanhandler wrote:
Kult wrote:I wanted to see how you would respond!

Interesting choice of words. This is different than saying "I wanted to hear your answer".

Yeah, I'm a behavioral technician!
theeKultleeder

Brain Wave Generator

Postby IanEye » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:34 pm

This Brain Wave Generator software is pretty cool:

http://www.bwgen.com/index.htm

I have a Mac now so I don't use it anymore :(

But it lets you create your own "sessions" and you can even export them as .wav files.

it uses binaural beats and strobes

probably the best thing about it is that it inspired me to make binaural programs for my Waldorf MicroWave XT synth, I feel like I got better "entrainment" with the Waldorf because I could sit there, put on my headphones and dial in the correct frequency based on how I was feeling that day. Plus it is just fun to rock a lowpass filter!

If anyone knows of a quality brainwave generator type program for the Mac, please let me know......
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News