Any Rigorous Intuitives in the Portland, Oregon area?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Any Rigorous Intuitives in the Portland, Oregon area?

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am

My honey and I are definitely making the move to Portland when our lease is up May 1st. It's a crazy move for us but we are driven by dream and intuition on this one.

Wondering about neighborhoods... I'm looking for that spot that is not quite gentrified yet (thus still cheap to rent), but on the way up (with cool things in the area...)
§ê¢rꆧ

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby theeKultleeder » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am

I've been to Oregon. The bigger cities are shitholes. Ashland was nice. It has (had?) this old bookstore in an old building filled with old books. So cool. And a dog park! Oh, and you can go to Seattle whenever you want. And California!

I love the West coast.
theeKultleeder

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:50 am

I doubt I'll find the cities shitholes compared to where I am now... in fact I am worried the environment won't be bleak and urban enough for me... ;) I find the abandoned, burned out buildings, of say, Detroit, sort of eerily compelling...

But Portland is close to lots, and seems affordable. Plus I think I will love all the gray days and rainshine.
§ê¢rꆧ

burn the welcome mat

Postby annie aronburg » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm

If you lived in Portland already, you'd say there were no more cheap neighborhoods, but if you moved there from Williamsburg or Berkeley you'd find it affordable. If you're moving there because it's "cheaper" than Seattle, it's not.

The days of cheap rent, easy jobs and lots of free time ended a decade ago.

The urban growth boundary around Portland (and the rilly kewl arts scene) resulted in most of the inner city being priced out of the reach of well, you know, the poor people who used to live there. I think St. Johns is the last "cheap" neighborhood for aspiring couples, maybe around Montavilla, 82nd ave. All those cute hip streets; Hawthorne, Belmont, Division, Alberta and Mississippi? Getting kinda spendy for the locals. Californians LOVE it though.

Now that the economy is tanking, the hipsters who so wisely purchased property after 9-11 are scrambling to stock their homes with roommates to offset their insane mortgages.

Who knows, maybe Steve Malkmus, Isaac Brock or Britt Daniel will be looking for housemates come spring and you'll luck out.

A friend from Montreal observed that any one thing from Portland moved to another town would be great; a bicycle collective, anarchist bookstore, vegan cafe, but there's so much of it in one place that it's its own sort of imperialism.

The hipster paper is the Portland Mercury. Between that and craigslist you should be able to get a sense of the local culture online.

I am worried the environment won't be bleak and urban enough for me... I find the abandoned, burned out buildings, of say, Detroit, sort of eerily compelling...

If you like rain and industrial ambiance, may I suggest Tacoma? Bellingham's a fun little city too. If you're committed to not paying sales tax, Astoria might be a good fit. Hood River is pretty zesty and The Dalles yearns to become an art colony. Ashland is not very affordable, but there are two girls for every boy there and even more hippy hegemony than Eugene. Eugene is best avoided unless you like hayfever.

The rain in recent years has blown the minds of lifelong residents. If you have any seasonal affective disorders, be sure to pay the Lightbulb Lady at Sunlan a visit when you arrive and illuminate your digs with full spectrum bulbs.

If you're attached to the changing seasons, the Pacific Northwest might not be the best choice as the weather is basically green or grey. No snow, not much fall color. Your winter clothes smell like dishrags and none of the old houses are insulated. Either they had different weather back then or so much wood they just kept their stoves roaring all winter. If you're renting check your prospects for mold. Spring is long and very pretty. Summer is a brief dry out period before the Fall rains.

A few years ago when the state quarter was being designed, one proposal depicted former Governor Tom McCall in a "talk to the hand" gesture with the inscription "Don't Even Visit". If you do make the move, practice saying ORE-gun (not Ory-gon) and will-AMET ( not WILLA-met) so the locals don't automatically hate you. If you ARE from California, come up with a different cover story.

Fun things about PDX

Disasters on Mt Hood.

The Bridges

Forest Park

Voodoo Doughnuts

Farmer's Market

Daphnes, Rhodies and Roses.

Goodwill As-Is

Powells Books

The Swifts swirling the Chapman School smokestack at sunset

Rebuilding Center

The Perfume House

A gimlet discussion of Portland can be found on this forum

http://www.jimgoad.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news

and here's the Icke-ian Valley Girl perspective:

http://forum.noblerealms.org/viewtopic.php?id=1337

Get informed about Little Beirut. I got tired of the police murdering black women and assaulting my disabled friends, but if you're into fixed gear bicycles and tattoo collecting it's THA BOMB!

Annie Aronburg
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:54 am

Sounds like what happened to Portland happens to every good inner city area with a good culture of bands and art "bohemia" - yuppies love the thought of being associated with it move in to be near it and kill it.

Happened to St kilda, Richmond, Ftzroy, Collingwood, Morth and West melbourne, and all through inner Sydney too.

I have an old friend who, last I heard was a tattooist in Portland. Her name is Kim. Shes probably into several RI ideas tho.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks for the information, annie. You've given me a lot to chew on :) That Montavilla neighborhood looks attractive.

I assure everyone here I'm not a yuppie and definitely more the bohemian-type, but in some ways it is just as bad. Before the yuppies move in, the bohemian-types have to move in, displacing the poor who have lived there all along :(

I do know about Portland's Little Beirut rep, and that's part of what makes it enticing.. it would be nice to live somewhere where I can relate to say, more than 1% of the population....
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby OP ED » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:24 am

§ê¢rꆧ wrote: I find the abandoned, burned out buildings, of say, Detroit, sort of eerily compelling...

Post-Devil's-Night-Visigothic-Chic. Just don't go where there are no streetlights. the dogs will get you.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 am

Well I'm leaving for the 2300-mile trek on the 26th. Hope the van make it and I find a place swiftly, as I don't think camping in my friend's backyard is going to be much fun, although I appreciate it immensely.

Will miss this place. Don't go anywhere while I'm gone, ya hear?
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Thu May 15, 2008 3:32 am

I made it and I ♥ it. The trip went well except for a blowout in Montana. I think we made the right decision coming here. For the first time in a loooong time I actually feel inspired to get out of my desk chair and walk around in the fresh air. I'm really enjoying the many gorgeous parks in pdx. Don't know how well I'll fit in with the locals - I hope there are some parapolitical computer nerds lurking about. I sort of feel not quite 'hip' enough, or 'alt' enough, or 'left' enough or something... just my own insecurities rearing their ugly head.

I think I'm ready to take the ayahuasca I've been sitting on for a few years, or at least, soon. Mood = Inspired :D
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Project Willow » Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Welcome to the left coast!

When you get a chance, and if you haven't already, take a trip to the ocean side, Canon Beach etc., it's beautiful.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to The Lounge & Member News