Lounge Music

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Anyone seen this tv series?

I know its not music, but it has a great soundtrack and has its moments of weirdness. And cos I watch it in my loungeroom, and here the soundtrack ...
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 pm

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:19 am

Oh my god, that Martin Landau/Barbara Bain thing is the mostest greatest artwork EVAH.

I've never even heard of it. Did it play over here in my heathen homeland?

And what's it doing over here? Shouldn't it be over in the ill-defined Bowie thread? For which I have a suggestion, by the way. I think the theme as it has naturally developed, is: "Loving the Alien." Can we rename it that? Because I have some posts that belong under that rubric, but that are not at all interplanetary or Bowie.

If anyone's still speaking to me now that they know I'm not a Yankees fan.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:46 am

Wow. That Mel Torme clip is solid gold, too. It's like post-Busby-Berkley but proto-Bob-Fosse:

Come out of the garden, baby. You'll catch your death in the velvet fog.

And -- p.s. -- what are these motorcycles doing here?

Thanks, you guys. I will attempt to reciprocate. Feel the rhythm of life, as performed by the only (I think) man in show business history who had one serious relationship busted up and another consecrated by individuals who were famously one degree of separation away from, respectively, the JFK assassination (Johnny Roselli); and the MLK assassination (Jesse Jackson):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWYF25HBgKk

I love that cowl-neck gown the chick in the fez is wearing in the Mel Torme clip. I'd be curious to know what it was made of. It moves against the lining in a way I'd like to replicate for myself.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 am

Bust the dialectic. I'm the man in command!

Or at least an old-school chick.
compared2what?

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 am

Oh my god, that Martin Landau/Barbara Bain thing is the mostest greatest artwork EVAH.

I've never even heard of it. Did it play over here in my heathen homeland?

Wiki Space 1999

It was a British production. You've never heard of Space 1999?! I had an Eagle Transporter model as a kid. (I wonder if that is still in my parent's attic?) I made a stop motion film (my one and only cinematic effort) with a 5' stuffed snake I owned at the time and the Eagle transporter. Not much of a plot I'm afraid. The giant snake attacked the Eagle transporter and the action figures that came with and the figures attacked the snake in turn. The humans win.

From the Wiki article trivia section:
In his 1988 opinion in the case of Williams v. Boles, a case concerning allegations of police brutality, Judge Frank Easterbrook of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit alluded to the series' low reputation among the general public, writing "Many things — beating with a rubber truncheon, water torture, electric shock, incessant noise, reruns of Space: 1999 — may cause agony as they occur yet leave no enduring injury."
This quotation has since made it into the U.S. Supreme Court reports, courtesy of Clarence Thomas's dissenting opinion in Hudson v. McMillian, 503 U.S. 1 (1992)

Ridiculous.

And what's it doing over here? Shouldn't it be over in the ill-defined Bowie thread?

Yah, call me a rebel. :wink:
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:46 am

C2W wrote:Feel the rhythm of life, as performed by the only (I think) man in show business history who had one serious relationship busted up and another consecrated by individuals who were famously one degree of separation away from, respectively, the JFK assassination (Johnny Roselli); and the MLK assassination (Jesse Jackson):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWYF25HBgKk

I love that cowl-neck gown the chick in the fez is wearing in the Mel Torme clip. I'd be curious to know what it was made of. It moves against the lining in a way I'd like to replicate for myself.

TFC. I do enjoy your aesthetic sensibilites.

Rhythm of Life Lyrics

Ensemble:
Daddy started out in San Francisco,
Tootin' on his trumpet loud and mean,
Suddenly a voice said, "Go forth Daddy,
Spread the picture on a wider screen."
And the voice said, "Brother, there's a million pigeons
Ready to be hooked on new religions.
Hit the road, Daddy, leave your common-law wife.
Spread the religion of The Rhythm Of Life."
And The Rhythm Of Life is a powerful beat,
Puts a tingle in your fingers and a tingle in your feet,
Rhythm in your bedroom,
Rhythm in the street,
Yes, The Rhythm Of Life is a powerful beat,
To feel The Rhythm Of Life,
To feel the powerful beat,
To feel the tingle in your fingers,
To feel the tingle in your feet,
Daddy, spread the gospel in Milwaukee,
Took his walkie talkie to Rocky Ridge,
Blew his way to Canton, then to Scranton,
Till he landed under the Manhattan Bridge.
Daddy was the new sensation, got himself a congregation,
Built up quite an operation down below.
With the pie-eyed piper blowing, while the muscatel was flowing,
All the cats were go, go, go-ing down below.
Daddy was the new sensation, got himself a congregation,
Built up quite an operation down below.
With the pie-eyed piper blowing, while the muscatel was flowing,
All the cats were go, go, go-ing down below.
Flip your wings and fly to Daddy,
Fly, fly, fly to Daddy,
Take a dive and swim to Daddy,
Swim, swim, swim to Daddy
Hit the floor and crawl to Daddy,
Crawl, crawl, crawl to Daddy,
And The Rhythm Of Life is a powerful beat,
Puts a tingle in your fingers and a tingle in your feet,
Rhythm in your bedroom,
Rhythm in the street,
Yes, The Rhythm Of Life is a powerful beat,
Daddy we got The Rhythm Of Life,
Of life, of life, of life.
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Man!
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 am

I love it all man. The LHR clip is like dueling scat. Wonder what those wisps of smoke are that waft across the screen?
brainpanhandler

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:

I love it all man. The LHR clip is like dueling scat. Wonder what those wisps of smoke are that waft across the screen?

I didn't actually count, but just to keep a dying phrase alive, I'm gonna say that I think H and R were trading eights.

Here, the Misty Miss Christy reminds us that All God's Children Got Rhythm. Wikipedia is not helping me out here, but I have a non-specific impression that the primary reason her mind-blowing vocal beauty and ability are not better known is that she had lifelong on-and-off pitch problems. My favorite June Christy number is "This Time the Dream's On Me," but I only see it on the YouTubes performed by Alison Krauss as an accompaniment to a photo-montage tribute to Clay Aiken. Which is a different thing by many orders of magnitude, and not in a good way.
compared2what?

Postby thurnundtaxis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 pm

C2W - Nice call with the US3! that ol' jam was in heavy rotation on my decks for a minute back in the day though I don't I don't often recall it now. Ahh, the acid jazz scene, sure was a nice couple of years way back.

BPH- glad you're diggin' the vocalese vibes...

I had spread a gospel of easy listening and waxed a smooth veneer of casual sophistication as a lounge music dj for a good while back in the early'90s. So its nice to flash-back to those gentle pre-ebay years of irony feuled slack hunting cheap vintage gear.

But now though, with that there new-fangled you-tube...WOW...I finally get a chance to see some footage I never new existed. Occasionally I send out playlists to some of my old scene-buddies after a few hours of searching, watching, and drinking coctails.

Here's something, that if I'd had a video projector back then, I'd have rocked all the time:

The inimitable Miss Joi Lansing!!

Web of Love

The Silencer
thurnundtaxis

Postby IanEye » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby compared2what? » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 am

Blew his way to Canton, then to Scranton,
Till he landed under the Manhattan Bridge.

I've been meaning to mention, then forgetting to mention....I've never seen the lyrics written out before. But now that I have, it occurs to me that this is a reference to a group that all people who love the flea, the yard sale, the garage sale, the tag sale, the stoop sale, the thrift store, etc. should know of, since they are now a national retail operation called "Olde Good Things."

But back in the day, they were a Jesus-freak-y style group, based in Scranton and Manhattan. The Church of Bible Understanding, as they still formally are -- Olde Good Things is just a dba. The charismatic leader guy, Stewart Traill is not at all a pleasant prospect, but, I believe, has never been busted for anything, although some of his followers got into trouble for beating his (Trail's) 12-year-old son with a two-by-four severely enough to injure him seriously, and to go to jail for it. They said they acted at Trail's direction, but he wasn't charged. (I assume all the followers not facing prison did not corroborate them.) They also have had some trouble with the law for recruiting underage members. And they also now own a couple of airplanes and run an orphanage in Haiti. Or so they say.

In any event. They get the best architectural salvage, because of the tax-deductible-gift-to-Christian-goodness spiel. And they have stores all over that do not announce the affiliation. They're out of my price range, but they do always have the best of what the decorative arts of the twentieth century have to offer, suitable for any and all tastes.

So. They're creepy. Next time you go looking for a mantle or sconce, bear it in mind!
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 am

I do enjoy your aesthetic sensibilites.

Thank you. According to imDb, the head designer for that show was Edith Head, assisted by Bob Mackie.

So it would not matter if I knew what the fabric was. I like making stuff out of other stuff, but I think if I had couture-level ability, if would have manifested itself by now.

Oh, well. Fuck the material world.
compared2what?

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News