Loving the alien

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby erosoplier » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Alladin Sane

Bowie - Time

Bowie was my favourite artist as a teenager. Turned up to his Serious Moonlight concert in jeans and a polo shirt, but with no eyebrows and a purple mullet (Springstein and Billy Idol were, or were to be, second favourites of mine at the time, so I guess it all makes sense). Looking back, I can't believe how normal I turned out...and I'm also surprised at how much talent he possessed. Haven't ever seen all the early 70s live footage, until now.

Change your name by cancelling your account and rejoining - I think that might be the only way.
erosoplier

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:37 am

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:28 pm

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:00 pm

compared2what? wrote:LOL on the outside, SW (silent weeping) on the inside. One man's meat is another man's poison, and so forth. Feeling paranoia about falling asleep is, to me, as comprehensible as feeling frustration about the area rug not being a banana.

I was paranoid about passing out and never waking up. Of course thats not necessarily how an OD works but nevertheless... Back in my dirty degenerate days I lived my drugs to wake me up. (Left the typo, it seemed appropriate.) (BTW Mark of Cain are recording a new record according to rumours.)

Heroin is (IMO) about as trancendant as car sickness, but I know plenty of people who would disagree. Some of them are even still alive.

That whole Roxy Music thing is lightly disturbing IMO. Brian Ferry always looked like a sleazebag to me.

Years ago someone told me about the love=drugs code in music, and it opened my ears in a whole new way.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:20 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:

But sex can be cosmic, and interplanetary.

Like between aliens and humans?

Did you mean science? Or is this a play on words?

Have you ever seen the machine elves?

To answer your question a little more seriously, it seems that in many of the accounts of the paranormal and OBE's there is often a sound of sorts that accompanies the experience. I get the crinkling cellophane sound when something not normal is happening. It's almost like an alarm bell now for me. I think Jeff mentions the buzzing sound accompanies many accounts of the mothman sightings. That's where I first read of that and thought of Quatermass and the Pit. Have you ever seen it?

That Quartermass clip looks wild. Never seen it but I am gonna have to see that movie now, well not right now ...

The cosmic thing was not referring to sex between aliens and humans, but to something I think Crowley was getting at. Using Nuit/Hadit as archetypal forces that you invoke during sex, Nuit is the entire universe, Hadit one point in it etc etc.

And yes that seance/science thing was a play on words, sometimes in altered states it seems there are other colours than the ones we see in normal states.

I have seen the Machine elves or whatever they are too. Its hard to describe that stuff, a local term around here is "cartoon land". That seems a bit more appropriate IMO.

That buzzing sound is a dead give away isn't it. I wouldn't say its tinititus, cos it definitely has its own nature and rhythms. If anything it reminds me of insects buzzing. Once I was in the bush, and wandered through what must have been a cicada corroberree.

The buzzing was intense and I actually had to sit down on the ground till it stopped. It completely disabled me, and I am actually not that easy to stop. This was intense tho. I could see the cicadas as I wandered into this area, then all of a sudden this overwhelming buzzing floored me. My vision started breaking up, and it was reminiscent of of tryptamine tripping actually.

It eased a bit, and it was a real effort to get up and drag myself and my stuff out of there. But once I'd got about 5 feet away I was suddenly alright, just a little tired, and quite freaked out. I was with someone else and the same thing happened to them. We never really talked about it afterward tho, cept to say "Fuck that buzzing was intense."

Funny how similar some of that Qmass imagery is to weirdness tho.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:47 am

Bryan Ferry looks like a sleazebag, period, I am pretty sure. Or at least, he doesn't just look like a sleazebag to you. Nevertheless, I love me some Roxy. Especially "All I Want Is You," and "Virginia Plain." And, I'm not too proud to admit it, I played "Avalon" all the time when it came out. And had an asymmetrical haircut. It was the '80s!

While time cannot wither, nor custom stale, what a timelessly beautiful record "Here Come the Warm Jets' is, YouTube proves that the infinite variety with which "Dead Finks Don't Talk" can be understood encompasses at least two completely unrelated readings: (a) a song in which Mr. Eno gives full expression to his unsympathetic view of Mr. Ferry's character; and (b) an appropriate soundtrack for one man's vague controlled-demolition-esque media critique.

I take the former view, myself. I've always thought it was the permanent prize-winner in the Meanest Song About an Ex-Bandmate category, which is quite a testament, given how mean "How Do You Sleep?" is. But judges quite rightly give it extra points for the vocal caricature on the line "as you peck your way up there," which occurs at @ the 1:40 mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87IEB4myX8

Hey, Brainpanhandler, I loved those pulp covers, and spent many happy hours looking at every single one, a few of which I own copies of. Thank you. They fall into the category of things I can now only buy if I find them at the price point they used to occupy before everyone else started thinking they were all chic and ironic. It's an ad hoc collectors vanity thing. And a proximate occasion for hating the world, too!
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 am

Mr. Hillshoist, I see your youthful degeneracy and call it with [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-M9Ymvgd0A[url]my youthful degeneracy[/url]!

The youthful Richard Hell certainly was a heartbreaker, as it were. Especially in that brief shot walking along the bar in CBGB.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:29 am

Dammit. That didn't work! Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-M9Ymvgd0A
compared2what?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:07 am

This isn't exactly extra terrestrial art, cept one panel at the end, but ts worth reading anyway.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:33 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:
brainpanhandler wrote:

But sex can be cosmic, and interplanetary.

Like between aliens and humans?

Did you mean science? Or is this a play on words?

Have you ever seen the machine elves?

To answer your question a little more seriously, it seems that in many of the accounts of the paranormal and OBE's there is often a sound of sorts that accompanies the experience. I get the crinkling cellophane sound when something not normal is happening. It's almost like an alarm bell now for me. I think Jeff mentions the buzzing sound accompanies many accounts of the mothman sightings. That's where I first read of that and thought of Quatermass and the Pit. Have you ever seen it?

That Quartermass clip looks wild. Never seen it but I am gonna have to see that movie now, well not right now ...

The cosmic thing was not referring to sex between aliens and humans, but to something I think Crowley was getting at. Using Nuit/Hadit as archetypal forces that you invoke during sex, Nuit is the entire universe, Hadit one point in it etc etc.

And yes that seance/science thing was a play on words, sometimes in altered states it seems there are other colours than the ones we see in normal states.

I have seen the Machine elves or whatever they are too. Its hard to describe that stuff, a local term around here is "cartoon land". That seems a bit more appropriate IMO.

That buzzing sound is a dead give away isn't it. I wouldn't say its tinititus, cos it definitely has its own nature and rhythms. If anything it reminds me of insects buzzing. Once I was in the bush, and wandered through what must have been a cicada corroberree.

The buzzing was intense and I actually had to sit down on the ground till it stopped. It completely disabled me, and I am actually not that easy to stop. This was intense tho. I could see the cicadas as I wandered into this area, then all of a sudden this overwhelming buzzing floored me. My vision started breaking up, and it was reminiscent of of tryptamine tripping actually.

It eased a bit, and it was a real effort to get up and drag myself and my stuff out of there. But once I'd got about 5 feet away I was suddenly alright, just a little tired, and quite freaked out. I was with someone else and the same thing happened to them. We never really talked about it afterward tho, cept to say "Fuck that buzzing was intense."

Funny how similar some of that Qmass imagery is to weirdness tho.

I need to rewatch Quatermass and the pit now myself. I've not seen it since I was a kid. Obviously the special effects will be cheesy by today's standards. I remember being rather disturbed by it. The satanic references freaked me out.

Regarding seances... when I first went off to college I attended Salem state college. As you might expect there were/are witches covens in Salem. The gentleman that I roomed with had connections around town. I deeply regret to this day not keeping in touch with Joseph A. Joe was friends with the local high priestess and they held a seance at his house. Technically the name of the ceremony was probably something other than seance, but that is what Joe called it. I only lived with Joe for a semester, but that was one of the weirdest periods of my life. Bizarre happenings. You'd have had to have met Joe to understand just how trustworthy and nonkooky he was and I hope still is. I did not get to participate in these ceremonies, but he described an intense and very palpable energy that flowed around the circle between the hand holding participants. He seemed reluctant to describe much more than that, but I took him at his word.

Cicadas.... freaky and altogether alien lookin' little buggers.

Funny story that... Me and a friend of mine were staying in a hotel in an area where there was a 17 year hatch in progress. There were cicadas everywhere. One of them flew through the window into our hotel room. We trapped it under one of those clear, plastic hotel cups and attempted to get it stoned by blowing smoke under the cup. We were idiots. Predictably we forgot all about our cicada friend. I was awoken in the middle of the night to my friend screaming bloody murder. When I was sensible enough to turn on the lights there was my friend leaping around the room and acting absolutley insane. Turns out our cicada had pushed the cup to the edge of the table it was on and escaped and somehow gotten into my friend's bed. He said he had woken in the night and felt a tickle on one of his legs. At first he dismissed it as just a tickle. But he said the tickle kept moving up his leg!!! That's when he freaked. So our cicada friend got the last laugh.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:47 am

C2W wrote:Hey, Brainpanhandler, I loved those pulp covers, and spent many happy hours looking at every single one, a few of which I own copies of. Thank you. They fall into the category of things I can now only buy if I find them at the price point they used to occupy before everyone else started thinking they were all chic and ironic. It's an ad hoc collectors vanity thing. And a proximate occasion for hating the world, too!

Oh how I enjoyed looking at all those covers on that site. It was hard to pick a few to post. I love the Rogue Queen cover. "She learned about sex from an Earth-man!" I wanna add "and now she's pissed!"
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:57 am

C2W,

Did you catch the link I slipped in there before the vintage covers post? Bowie's first tv appearance?

What a fantastic bit of history. It is so strange to see Bowie nervous on stage in any way. He's stiff and uncertain for the first minute or so, just relying mostly on muscle memory. I wonder if he puked before he went on stage. Right at the 1:32 mark he closes his eyes momentarily and from there on he loosens up.

Special merit award for originality... little did they know.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:23 am

brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:27 am

brainpanhandler

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:30 am

You are a genius! I had seen the first TV appearance before, but not the delicious looking clip you just put up, which I am saving for later. Yeah, there is quite a bit of that Laughing Gnome stuff from his pre-Bowie-as-we-know-him phase. And it's all disappointing, even when the songs (fr. ex. "Can't Stop Thinking About Me"...or is it "Hang On to Youself"? I can't remember. One of those....) are great in later live versions.

I am tragically behind in my lounging. I think I might have lounger's block.
compared2what?

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News