Loving the alien

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby compared2what? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:38 am

brainpanhandler wrote:Was this pre-Borat?

Yes. You can tell from the hair that it's a promotional appearance for "Hours..." -- a quite nice record that came out in 2000, and that I liked plenty much, until "Heathen" and then "Reality" came out, because both of them are exxxxcellent. They are also both with Tony Visconti, and NYC-ish in feeling, so I am still hoping for a third, as there would then be a New York trilogy as well as a Berlin trilogy.

That guy to whom he is referring is the proto-Borat. He was an intertubes star from around that time. Maybe from Turkey?

Here is a cool video of "Survive" from "Hours..." Nice wire work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7FTtX73GE
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:30 am

Space 1999 intro

Since I had a horrible crush on the lovely Maya character, the shapeshifting alien on the series, this truly does belong here.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 pm

I've been about to post on every page of this thread but as the subject is so vast, and keeps changing, any potential contribution seems so puny and irrelevant by the time I get to post it. Besides which I've already spammed the board with enough Hawkwind to populate a few distant boards so here's some random left-overs.

Interstellar Overdrive

Revolution

Mondo a Gogo

How to assemble a spacecraft using only nick-nacks and bric-a-brac

But don't get me started on Space Rock,Listen.

GUSTAV HOLST - THE PLANETS

Lexx

Oh, and re: Uranus.. bindun :wink:

Hey Joe, I had a buzzing experience with shrooms and a candle, no don't laugh yet, I tuned into the buzz in my head as my fingers played in, over and around the flame. Feeling nothing of the heat I played that buzz to Hendrix extremes until it felt like my head was about to explode before I realised my fingers were almost on fire. Luckily no damage done and a lesson learned but I sometimes wonder what if I'd let my head explode. But like they say, no pain no gain. Felt nowt.
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 am

Holy fuck brainpanhandler, that cicada's head looks an awful lot like the head of the giant space mantid I wanted to punch. (BTW There was a 3 inch long praying mantis in the kitchen this morning.)

These songs aren't about interplanetry anything as such, but I have never heard music that puts me in interdimensional space like Pandemonium, and I've heard lots of music thats sposed to. (C93 this means you.)

Millenium

Pandemonium

This is just for a laff

Babylon Zoo - Spaceman

This isn't, for some reason it always makes me think of space, and stuff

Spacehog

"This is a jeezus and marychain song" and one about a a hill on mars

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=oH84yTCODIY]this ain't no planet of sound
i met a guy in a rover
he said its one more over
its just there where your bound[/url]
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 am

Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:16 am

Seamus, I am wondering too.
Candles are trippy things too, that flame is strange, definitely a doorway/portal thing.

But you have to be careful, make sure you don't get your fingers burnt.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 am

Joe Hillshoist

Postby IanEye » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 am

Thanks for the Ween, Joe!

Julie London
Fly Me To The Moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1zYEyUlCU
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 am

No worries, I was thinking of you when I posted it.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:39 pm

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:30 pm

brainpanhandler

Postby compared2what? » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:18 am

Those Yip Yips sent me straight to heaven, where I got to see the few moments of eternity that immediately follow that clip. I'm still disoriented, and feeling a little hazy on the details. But I think one of them said, "I'm sorry, ladies and gentleman, there's no reason to do this song here." Then they played "Watching the Detectives."

To end on a more radio-reference-appropriate note: And think, children, what does it all mean?
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:48 am

My memory is clearer now. I meant "Less than Zero." Forget I ever mentioned "Watching the Detectives." I wouldn't want to lose ALL MY CREDIBILITY, after all.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 am

Hey. Apart from how terribly unhappy she appears to be, the thing that struck me about this Joi Lansing Scopitone posted awhile ago in the lounge was the snake creature I'd like to urge you to pause at 1:40 to see, as I did, so you can tell me whether there is an eye of Horus in the greenery in the lower right of the screen, or if I'm crazy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7eGnjuCwoW4

But that's actually not why it caught my eye, until I happened to pause it just now. Because check THIS out.

And, if you want bonus derivative reference points, too you only have to suffer through a few moments of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrUFB0KHeA[url]this, as well.[/url]

Now. Ms. Lansing died in August '72, and the Bowie song was released in September '72. And my guess would be that videos being for advance promotion back then, he probably made the above very close to that time.

What is up with that? Is there some traditional significance of modern-dance style crawling men covered in green body pain with which I'm not familiar?

Please advise, alien lovers.
compared2what?

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:49 pm

pause at 1:40 to see, as I did, so you can tell me whether there is an eye of Horus in the greenery in the lower right of the screen, or if I'm crazy

mmm... not so much. I can see what you're referring to, but even if it looked exactly like an eye of horus (which it doesn't quite) I'd still figure it was accidental. I do love these sorts of clue hunts though. It's why I enjoy Hugh, although he's his own worst enemy sometimes. I think it was the kids magazine Ranger Rick that had a puzzle in every issue where you had to find pictures hidden inside a big picture. I loved those sorts of puzzles as a kid. I guess I still do.

The first thing I thought of upon looking at the Bowie video (the link after that does not work) was Rae Dawn Chong's character (Ika) in Quest for Fire. The female dancer in the Bowie video is a dead ringer for that character, down to the dreads and the make up around the eyes. Quest for Fire was released in 1981. I could not find any good pics of Ika but here's a link to a you tube video that has her in one of the funnier scenes.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=3

Of course there's the green Orion slave girls from Star Trek:

Star Trek aired from 66 to 69.

Speaking of noticing strange things...

The Survive Bowie video you posted has a skull sitting unobtrusively on the counter next to the stove. It's included in a number of shots, but is never really in focus or placed in the frame where it grabs your attention. In several shots the skull is directly behind Bowie's face in the frame. Other than Bowie and the table and chair floating around and the boiled egg levitating the whole space is rather normal, except for the skull on the counter top. Of course as a symbol it fits thematically, but I thought it was odd nonetheless.
brainpanhandler

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News