Super Bowl

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Super Bowl

Postby jingofever » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:20 pm

New England sucks. HA! I don't normally watch football but what a final few minutes that was. Tom Brady sucks.
jingofever

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:35 am

That sport isn't football.

How can you call it football when you have a seperate team that does all the kicking.

:P :P :P :P
Joe Hillshoist

Postby IanEye » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:12 am

I had a bad feeling the whole game. The half time show said it all, it was a Heart Breaker. It feels like a wicked inverse of that Idiot Wind lyric.

you didn't know it, you didn't think it could be done
in the final end he won the war
after losin' every battle.

Here, let’s make it political…..

Paul: So it's time for us to take care of America first.
(Applause)
Cooper: Senator McCain?
McCain: Well, let me remind you, Congressman, we never lost a battle in Vietnam. It was American public opinion that forced us to lose that conflict.
(Applause)
I think it's important for all Americans to understand the fundamental difference. After we left Vietnam, they didn't want to follow us home. They wanted to build their own workers' paradise. If you read Zarqawi, if you read bin Laden, if you read Zawahiri, read what they say. They want to follow us home. They want Iraq to be a base for Al Qaida to launch attacks against the United States. Their ultimate destination is not Iraq.
Their ultimate destination is New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago and Phoenix, Arizona. This is a transcendent challenge of our time.
(Booing)
McCain: I believe that we can meet it and we will defeat it.
(Applause)
Cooper: Congressman Paul, I know -- we'll get everyone in on this. Congressman Paul, just wanted to allow you to respond.
Paul: Shortly after the Vietnam War ended, Colonel Tu and Colonel Summers met, and they were talking about this. And our -- and the American colonel said, "You know, we never lost one battle." And Colonel Tu, the Vietnamese says, "Yes, but that's irrelevant."

Now, all of my friends are walking around feeling like the season where the Pats never lost a game is irrelevant. Me, I drown my sorrows in music:

They say there's wreckage washing up
All along the coast
No one seems to know too much
Or who got hit the most
Nothing has been spoken
There's not a lot to see
But something has been broken
That's how it feels to me

We had a harmony
I never meant to spoil
Now it's lying in the water
Like a slick of oil
The tide is running out to sea
Under a darkening sky
The night is falling down on me
And I'm thinking that I should

Head on home
Been gone too long
Leave my roaming
Beachcombing

Little wild kitten out hunting
To see what he can get
You're in a big city now
Won't stop growing yet
The sun is going down smoking
A flaming testament
Something has been broken
And it feels permanent

Little seabird flying
He knows where he wants to go
Guess i ought to pack my stuff
And do the thing I know
I turn around and head on back
Along the old sea wall
I felt something give and crack
And now I'm sorry that's all

Head on home
Been gone too long
Leave my roaming
Beachcombing

“Beachcombing” – Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Condolences IanEye.

Now, all of my friends are walking around feeling like the season where the Pats never lost a game is irrelevant.

It is, I'm afraid.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Joe, I don't know what they're talking about either, but it's certinly not soccer.
Seamus OBlimey

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:11 pm

My condolences also, Iandeye. But you can't begrudge those of us who year after year have our hearts broken by our home teams, almost without fail, unless we're (pardon my language) Yankees fans for feeling a little thrill at the Tyree catch.

Seriously, it isn't easy. For example, rooting for the Knicks during the Patrick Ewing era was like investing your life savings in three-card monte. No matter how resolved you were pre-season not to even dare to hope, they always managed to make you break your resolution just in time to then turn around and break your heart. I'm still traumatized by it.

Here, 8 minutes and 39 seconds that concluded in one of the happiest moments of an otherwise relentlessly miserable period of my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDoSc-fRpg

Because seriously, if not for Mookie's heroic at-bat, I might have died of cardiac arrest right there. And that would have been not long after barely managing not to have a fatal stroke during the 16-inning epic drama of game six of the NLCS (Mets v. Astros). You can tell that the excessively gabby Tim McCarver, too, must have been put on life support (or something like it) at some point during the bottom of the 10th, because I don't know how else to explain the lack of color commentary.

I loved the '85/86 Metsies. They were such a bunch of freaks, lunatics, drug addicts, neurotics and queers -- in the proud Queer Theory sense of the word -- they were truly the most representative team a pre-9/11 New Yorker could hope for. With the exception of Gary Carter, whose picture could have appeared next to the dictionary entry for "The Man." And who I have to admit did come through in a major way in the turnaround linked to above. To give credit where due.

I do feel bad for Bill Buckner, but those are the breaks. (Break it up, break if up, break if up, break down.)

Anyway. I mean it in a nice way but: Go New York Go New York Go.

It was nice to hear everyone out on the street honking their horns and screaming last night, and for something other than those guys from the Bronx for once.
compared2what?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:35 am

Seamus OBlimey wrote:Joe, I don't know what they're talking about either, but it's certinly not soccer.

Whats soccer? Ohhh that game.... :P

Eye'nI

I can relate to that feeling believe me.

Its happened to North melbourne a couple of times. (Well almost every game anyway.)

Also, one year playing for Nimbin we lost our first game in about 18 weeks, having beaten everyone else in the league in the process.

Only to lose the grand final by 8 points, thats about 3 minutes playing time.

Its like losing by one shot in a game of basketball.

The following year I coached a junior side, and we every game that year, by about 15 to 20 goals a game, (our average was 18 goals). The grand final was the worst pressure ... especially cos we'd lost 3 of our 4 best players by quarter time, and the other one missed the whole game with an injury.

Luckily they won the game, but all I felt was relief, not alot of joy.

Just suck it in and think about next year.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:43 am

C2W:

Oh my!

Somewhere there is a board on which my nick is mookie_86. And those same set of minutes have sustained me for 22 years. (Need... more... please... finally)

But how to deal with the dissonance? I imagine being some kind of eco-communist neo-enlightenment peak-experience visionary, except my ecstasy for the last week has derived from the fact that this bastard Santana just got $147 million for having a good change-up. (Well, at least he's a member of the working class.) And I actually spent an hour watching a parade on TV today.

We are the machine!
JackRiddler

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:56 am

Since we're posting this sort of stuff.

Some highlights of the 1999 Premiership
Joe Hillshoist

Return to The Lounge & Member News