Writer's Block II: A Modest Beginning

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Writer's Block II: A Modest Beginning

Postby AlicetheKurious » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Inspired by the "writer's block" thread, I thought of an idea, since in a just world, "She Had Writer's Block" would be my epitaph. How about, no pressure, each person writes a few paragraphs of fiction, and others critique it, and, if they're so inclined, add their own vignettes? Any style, any subject.

I'll start:

She saw him again, the next Sunday at the church. This time, he was seated two rows behind her, and all through the service, she felt his gaze like an electrode glued to her spine. She told herself that the loneliness of her new life was making her crazy. There was no reason at all to think that he'd even noticed her, of course he wasn't stalking her. He lived nearby, and that's why she kept running into him.

Pretending to seek something in her purse, she sneaked a glance behind her, only to find that he was no longer there. She slumped in relief. She needed to get a hold of herself, and quickly, or she'd start making stupid mistakes. Feeling calmer, she decided that it had been foolhardy to accept the minister's invitation, no matter how well-intentioned. She'd have to become harder, less willing to compromise the hard-won isolation upon which her safety depended.

As she left the church, she blinked in the golden sunlight. The air smelled like grass and warm earth, and she breathed deeply, closing her eyes. Coffee, she thought, and a warm cheese croissant. I'll buy a magazine and drive around until I find the perfect sidewalk cafe. And then I'll...

Two tires were flat. Her heart had started pounding a slow, sickening beat, before her mind fully registered the sight. With a leaden sense of inevitability, she heard his voice behind her. "Need any help?"
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby compared2what? » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Alice, I was ecstatic to see this thread this morning, for selfish reasons, because I want you to finish a novel simply that I might read it.

However, I can't write fiction to save my life, and never have been able to. I have no imagination that way, which was a mixed advantage when I used to write nonfiction, insofar as I did not make shit up -- which was a good thing, in my view -- but when there was nothing much that was both true and interesting going on, I simply had nothing to say -- which was not a bad thing, in my view, but very definitely an inconvenient one. Editors are constitutionally incapable of believing that reality does not always yield to their wish that it conform to a compelling narrative, and are offended to the very core of their beings by any suggestion to the contrary. So, you know, conflict ensued. But that was long, long ago -- enough so that I would no longer call myself a writer of any kind, in fact.

And my point is what, exactly, you may be asking yourself right around now?

Excellent question: I can't write fiction. But I can still read it, and comment on it. And I'd like to very much, if that doesn't violate the rules. Is that acceptable?
compared2what?

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 pm

c2w, thanks for the vitamin shot. The whole point was to jump-start something, and maybe have some fun in the process. As you can see by my sample, the idea is not to be too ambitious, or even put in more than a teeny bit of work: a Kodak moment, or like in the "images" thread.

Come on, go for it. It doesn't even have to be fiction, ok? It could just be a miniature sketch of someone you've met or seen, or an anecdote, or a description of a place.

From what I've seen on the Nabokov thread (most of which went right over my head), you certainly have a lot to give, literature-wise (sic) (!).

Mind you, I don't want you to feel that just because you were kind enough to respond, that I've pounced on you.

If you do, though, I'll tell you the plot of one of the novels I never wrote...

On edit: ok, now I feel guilty. How about this? Post a particular passage of fiction that struck you as wonderful, by any author, if you don't want to write something yourself. The whole point, after all, is to inspire creativity in those who seek to be inspired, and provide entertainment for those who don't.

Maybe this will bring others out of hiding as well.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey alice, great idea for a thread, I'll stick something up soon.

If you don't mind some criticism of that piece of writing you put up here it is: (Criticing other peoples creative efforts makes me uncomfortable,, but since you went to the effort of putting something up.

What you wrote was good, nothing to criticise with that, but its what you left out.

There isn't enough description of place, the area. The church, the carpark.

What was happening to your character seemed out there in space so to speak. Not connected to any place. So I couldn't get a sense of mood, whether the atmosphere was oppresssive, light and open or whatever.

That would add to the tension in the story.

As she left the church, she blinked in the golden sunlight. The air smelled like grass and warm earth, and she breathed deeply, closing her eyes.

I thought it could have done with more of this sort of thing, not too much of course, but just the right amount. (Whatever that is).

I thought the way you described the state of mind she was in was good, and the way the plot begins to unfold is good, just the atmosphere and sense of place needed a little more.

Hope that is helpful in some way.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Its always that sharp crack that does it.

A dry twig snaps when it shouldn't and the tension flows through the air like a laconic lightning bolt. The wind stops, the light gets brighter, but colder, and everything is suddenly silent.

The leaves stop rustling, the birds go silent, and the bugs stop their buzzing.

Ralph breathed first, and the sharp intake of breath dragged attention from my straining ears to his line of sight. I could see the side of his head, a cthonic mass of dreadlocks, decorated with lantana leaves, spiderweb strands and a confused Christmas beatle, a flash of green and red in brown fuzzy mess.

He was staring open mouthed, into the scrub, to a point beyond my vision.

If you spend any time in the bush you unfold your senses. Your hearing, sight, smell and taste are all sharpened. A chaotic stream of information becomes tapestry - the creation of a master weaver, and you, working together to make sense of the mad crawling, sprawling mass of life.

And you feel differently too. Its no longer your skin that defines the boundary of your self. Its some point between 10 and 30 feet away, and your spirit, or some other semi fictional entity expands ... opens to its limits in a celebration. No straight lines, walls or uptight humans to block it in.

What had captured Ralphs attention? It was crouching there, at the edge of what I could feel, its presence affecting my gravity, but not so much that I could identify it. It wasn't human - the only real paranoia we had in the scrub.

What we were doing wasn't legal, even in this part of the world, and cops and rippers were always hovering at the edge of our minds, waiting to manifest and ruin our day. The response to a human isn't stillness. Its fight ... or flight.

What was it?

Not a snake. Snake's inspire a vibe in someone. The way they stop, watch and stand, feet locked to the ground, no motion, minimal vibration, and a cetain watchfulness. A kind of "You go your way, and I won't hit you with this shovel" stillness.

The fear and wonder that was radiating from Ralph right now had nothing to do with any snake. He was looking at something that demanded awestruck attention and it left someone who had mastered the art of always being cool, stunned and powerless. Unsure of himself, was he prey, or just a spectator?

What was it?

(Edited cos I forgot a sentance.)
Joe Hillshoist

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks, Joe, both for your critique and your writing sample.

I know I should put in more description, but I've noticed in my own reading that unless they're both relevant and exceptionally well done, I tend to skim over long descriptions, while mentally saying, "blah, blah, blah".

Of course, that's just me.

What I usually do when I write something, is just write whatever comes to mind, and then go over and over it, ruthlessly cutting out extraneous words, until I've said just what I want to say. Sometimes not even that. I believe writing is more effective when some things are implied rather than spelled out. Also, the best fiction writers are hypnotists -- it's important to maintain a subtle beat so that the reader is relaxed by the rhythm and flow. Too many words and he or she is jolted awake. Not good.

To illustrate what I mean, here's the introduction to a short story by the wonderful Margaret Atwood:

When my mother was very small, someone gave her a basket of baby chicks for Easter. They all died.

"I didn't know you weren't supposed to pick them up," says my mother. "Poor little things. I laid them out in a row on a board, with their little legs sticking out straight as pokers, and wept over them. I'd loved them to death."

Possibly this story is meant by my mother to illustrate her own stupidity, and also her sentimentality. We are to understand she wouldn't do such a thing now.

Possibly it's a commentary on the nature of love; though, knowing my mother, this is unlikely.

Whew! I love how she says so much, using so few words.

Now, about your piece. Your first sentence was good: "sharp crack" immediately sets the tone of danger, creates a tension in the reader that reflects that of the protagonist.

But then, too many words dissipate the energy. "Laconic lightning bolt"? After that, the protagonist simply sounds like a college student writing between sips of latte. I'll say it again: too many words, and they're not selected carefully enough for how well they suit the tone and the story you are trying to create.

Just to let you know that I'm willing to stick my own neck out, I'll continue now (I've tried to be more descriptive):

Turning to face him on legs that felt numb, she looked at him directly for the first time. He looked back, smiling and saying nothing.

He was tall, but not especially so. His medium build, light brown hair, beige chinos and a green and white striped rugby shirt somehow combined to make him almost invisible in this neighborhood. Yet she had known. Once she looked properly at his eyes, she understood why. They were too alert, too knowing, too frightening to belong with the rest of him. If you covered his eyes, he'd look like someone from an ad for chewing gum. But his eyes ruined everything.

She heard herself speak without meaning to, "Is Reverend Michael one of yours?" His smile grew, and his eyes sparkled. "You are one paranoid bitch," he said. His voice was friendly. Then he glanced at his watch. "I'd love to stand here and chat, but we need to get you home."

It was then that she noticed an attractive blonde woman walking casually towards them. She wore a jogging suit and in her hand was a metal chain leash, at the end of which strained an enormous German Shepherd. "Hi, honey!" she grinned. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friend?"

"This is the famous Suzanne, the one who got away," he said, "but not for long!"

Suzanne watched the dog, who watched her back.

"Don't worry about Bluebeard, he's a sweetie," said the woman. "Unless, of course, you make any sudden moves," she continued, "in which case, he'll tear your fucking throat out."

"Now that we've all been introduced," said the man, gripping Suzanne's arm and leading her towards a navy blue van. Suzanne walked carefully, aware of the dog's hot breath against the back of her naked legs.

Suzanne felt tears in her eyes as the realization finally hit her that she had failed, that all her months of careful preparation had been for nothing. She looked desperately around her, but could see no way to escape, and no source of help. If she screamed or ran she wouldn't get past a few steps before she was killed by the dog, a tragic accident, for which the dog would get put down. Even if the police tried to take it further, as far as she knew, these two were as disposable as she and the dog, and they knew it. However, she was probably the only one of the four of them who cared about that. Not so much for herself, anymore. She was finished anyway.

How had they found her? It wasn't fair! She'd been so careful! How had they found her? As they walked in silence, her mind reeled with the question, as though it made the slightest bit of difference.

And then she knew. She almost stopped walking, as she realized her fatal mistake. The dog's wet muzzle against her skin reminded her to keep moving. She raised her hand and flattened it against her belly. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm so sorry."

Chapter 2

At least, that's how I imagine it happened. Suzanne was my mother, and she was already carrying me when she was caught and brought back, almost 30 years ago. They kept her alive for a while after that, even after I was born, but I don't remember her.

Other than her name, I managed to learn that she was young when she had me, no older than 19, and much stronger than they thought, because she managed not only to get away from them, but to stay away for nearly two months, which must be some kind of a record. I don't really know that Uncle Simon and Aunt Mary were the ones to bring her back, but somehow that always seemed right.

Once, when I was fifteen years old, I made up my mind to ask him, and damn the consequences. I waited for Uncle Simon after a class he'd been teaching at the Rice Institute, or RI, where I was born and raised, and where I'd been taught everything I knew. At RI, we called our teachers "Uncle" or "Aunt", and all the others were brothers and sisters, regardless of their age.

I'd always been especially wary around Uncle Simon, who was known to be a real psycho, although he was a great teacher. His favorite motto was, "if it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger." Most of his students got stronger, including me, although it could have gone either way, and sometimes did. In such cases, there were no services, no tears, no eulogies. Nothing.

Two weeks earlier, I'd heard about my mother's escape from Paula, one of my mother's sisters, which made her my sister as well. My grades had slipped, and Paula was afraid for me. She whispered the story to me one night so that I'd be inspired by my mother's courage and determination. I think she also needed to talk about her sister Suzanne, whom she must have genuinely loved. I still miss Paula sometimes. Killing her was one of the worst things I've ever done, and I've done some very bad things.

But Paula had lit a fire in me with the truth about my mother. It was as though the empty spaces that in other people are filled with layer upon layer of memories, of sights and smells and sounds and feelings, the soil in which hearts take root and grow, gradually became filled with this fragment of someone else's second-hand account of my mother. I had a mother. Her name was Suzanne. She was brave, and smart. She had rebelled. It was all I had, more than I'd dreamed of, but I needed more.

His hair was starting to turn gray, but he still looked like he could be in a gum commercial, with his impossibly neat appearance, his friendly, open, face and athletic body. The classroom, with its beige soundproof walls, rows of elevated plush seats, lack of windows and discreetly fitted electronic equipment, looked like a small, brightly-lit movie theater.

As the brothers and sisters filed out, he sat gathering his papers at the desk before a large blank screen. I approached, and he looked up with those eyes in which there was no hint of human feeling, but which missed nothing. In contrast to his stillness, I felt myself shamefully unable to control my sweat, the loud thudding of my heart, the tremors of my fingers, my legs, my lips as I spoke. Nevertheless, I spoke.
AlicetheKurious

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am

I like everything I see so far. And am excited by it, in fact. I am withholding comment for the moment, because I like to make them after printing out the text and writing in the margins with the kind of yellow plastic pencil that's shaped like a pen, and I keep forgetting to go to the 99-cent store and get some. It may be a little on the OCD side, and it's quite possible that my notes would be just as good (or not) if rendered in ink. But it's my ritual, and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, I thought I had better get on the board before anyone finished a novel without me. I am taking Alice's suggestion and posting some writing of which I am fond. Herewith, most of a very short, but very thorough, eight-point treatment of a theme, by Nick Tosches:

IF I WERE ROBERT STACK

If I were Robert Stack,
there would be no unsolved mysteries.
If I were Robert Stack,
I would walk in godly pride;
would have pride of hair,
would wear makeup and be damned
proud of it.
If I were Robert Stack,
I would know the score, and the score,
it would know me,
and I would sleep without dreams,
and my hands
would tremble and my eyes
would close when
the well within me emptied
of all but
the terror of desire,
and I would get free suits,
double-breasted one day,
single-breasted the next.

I, AS ROBERT STACK, KNEW MY HISTORY

I, as Robert Stack, knew my history,
knew that Nitti died with bottle in
hand
down by the tracks - no white suit,
no murphy from no window, as in that
half-fruit playwright's dream.
I, as Robert Stack, through Desilu,
brought to you the truth,
in spirit and in substance.
I, as Robert Stack, knew my Milton,
brought pith on many a night to
the spine of dualism as you knew it.
I, as Robert Stack, dressed well,
did not overact and knelt before God.

WHEN I, AS ROBERT STACK, GO IN FOR THE OPERATION

When I, as Robert Stack,
go in for the operation, I will know
the scent of alcohol on cotton, which
I have known before; but will know
the scent as well of my true soul,
of that mystery unsolved,indwelling,
beneath my hide.
And I will dress conservatively,
hem to patella and no whorish
neckline,and,as ever,will stand tall;
and the breasts beneath my Burberry
will know pride, and, though in my
autumn,
desire shall be mine to be fulfilled.
And I, as Robert Stack, will know
not only the feel of nylon
upon the varicosity of truth
but will know as well the pulse
of moon, of tide within the vessel of my
kind, and the armor of my sternness
will know softness, and I will smile
to behold the print of pale magenta
upon the teacup in my hands, held just so,
as I drink at last from life in freedom
and in full, in Lycra, and in pride.
And thus I go to Denver, with heartbeat
that is calm, knowing I do only as Jack
Palance would do, were he but half the
man, or half the woman, that I be. No, let
Jack sit in shame in blue kimono with
houseboy at his side. I am done with all
such doings, am done with all such lies.
And when I say that men, they are
such fools, I will know, mesdames, whereof
I speak, for I did walk among them.

KNEW I THEN AZAZEL

Knew I then Azazel,
in years of desert roaming.
between Untouchables and
Unsolved; knew I then,
in silence and in solitude,
unemployment and uncertainty.
No free wardrobe had I then,
nor knew I hairdresser's comb.
And still I shed no tear
and left no bill unpaid,
and now stand tall as only one
who knew Azazel may.

I, AS ROBERT STACK, ADDRESS MY GOD

Lord, though I mouth the words of others,
may the truth in my eyes belie them ever,
and thus may I, in first run or in rerun,
lead no man, or woman, astray.

Lord, may all know that in my mind
I wear a hat,
though none they see;
that in my mind I wear no trousers,
though well cuffed and creased they see.

Lord, may they know these things,
and know then as well, all viewers
of the Lifetime Network, Television for
Women:
no wife, no daughter, is safe from me.

Lord, in thy mercy, forgive me.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am

Sorry for double post, which I just noticed.
Last edited by compared2what? on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compared2what?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 am

a college student writing between sips of latte.

Thanks Alice.

You are right tho. Its a stupid waste of words.

It wouldn't have survived a second draft. (Well I hope not.) I was trying to catch that feeling when you watch lightning peel of a storm cell and it seems to float lazily across the sky, before turning at right angles and slamming into the valley just below you.

And genuinely - thanks for taking the time and effort to criticise. You are right about brevity, it definitely is the way to go.

I'll get back to your next piece tomorrow, when I can read it more than once and give it the proper consideration. But I do like the way its heading. That twist also puts the lack of description I was whinging about into a context that makes more sense.

I also am gonna rewrite that piece tomorrow, there a couple of things I am unhappy about with it. But it was a first draft, they are always like that.

C2W

You should write your own stuff.

I get the sense from you that its in there waiting to come out.

Like little Jonnie Lee's boogie.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby compared2what? » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:10 pm

You're kind to say so. But if you, as Robert Stack, or yourself, knew my history, you'd know that was a bad, bad idea.

I should edit, perhaps, and I do sometimes, for friends and former colleagues that I don't hate. But I prefer to do it just for pleasure, because the environment in which it is done for pay is too toxic for me.

But writing is no kind of pleasure for me in any circumstance. I enjoy all the work that precedes it, just not it itself. So I leave my written works at the thinking-is-completed stage, strictly for my own enjoyment, and then forget them. Everyone is better off that way, believe me. Plus, I really can't write fiction at all, even in my mind.

I'm getting pencils later today. :)
compared2what?

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:58 am

Really, I can think of no better way to learn how to write fiction than to read good fiction.

IMO and many others of much more import than little ol' me, Alice is correct when she says:
I know I should put in more description, but I've noticed in my own reading that unless they're both relevant and exceptionally well done, I tend to skim over long descriptions, while mentally saying, "blah, blah, blah".

Most of my reading over the past 10 years or so has been nonfiction. Among the best fiction I have read in recent years: Salinger’s Carpenters novelettes, a couple of Iris Murdoch’s novels, and some Dostoevsky.

Good fiction is a great deal more about believable dialogue (if the intent is to be believable) than anything else. The three authors mentioned above are delightful to me in that I identify with and come to love their characters or at least empathize with them. This is done mainly by what their characters say and think. Descriptive passages are kept to a minimum level of detail. An economy of detail however need not equate with an empty landscape. It's the choosing of just the right details that contain within them a whole host of other details and implications.

As an example, from chapter two of Crime and Punishment:
"There are chance meetings with strangers that interest us from the first moment, before a word is spoken. Such was the impression made on Raskolnikov by the person sitting a little distance from him, who looked like a retired clerk. The young man often recalled his impression afterwards, and even ascribed it to presentiment. He looked repeatedly at the clerk, partly no doubt because the latter was staring persistently at him, obviously anxious to enter into conversation. At the other persons in the room, including the tavern-keeper, the clerk looked as though he were used to their company, and weary of it, showing a shade of condescending contempt for them as persons of station and culture inferior to his own, with whom it would be useless for him to converse. He was a man over fifty, bald and grizzled, of medium height, and stoutly built. His face, bloated from continual drinking, was of a yellow, even greenish, tinge, with swollen eyelids, out of which keen, reddish eyes gleamed like little chinks. But there was something very strange in him; there was a light in his eyes as though of intense feeling—perhaps there were even thought and intelligence, but at the same time there was a gleam of something like madness. He was wearing an old and hopelessly ragged black dress coat, with all its buttons missing except one, and that one he had buttoned, evidently clinging to this last trace of respectability. A crumpled shirt front, covered with spots and stains, protruded from his canvas waistcoat. Like a clerk, he wore no beard, nor moustache, but had been so long unshaven that his chin looked like a stiff greyish brush. And there was something respectable and like an official about his manner too. But he was restless; he ruffled up his hair and from time to time let his head drop into his hands dejectedly resting his ragged elbows on the stained and sticky table. At last he looked straight at Raskolnikov, and said loudly and resolutely:"

Link: Online publication of Crime and Punishment
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Return to The Lounge & Member News