What it's really like in CANADA

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What it's really like in CANADA

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 pm

justdrew wrote:I guess one thing it says is that in Canada apparently you can quit your job and not be in immediate fear for one's own welfare (food, home, etc).

I owe 82_28 an apology on that front. In the thread after he'd just become unemployed I was a bit of a dick, saying three days without work was nothing to worry about, it'd pass, and if not it could be worse, and could last much longer. I was forgetting that there's basically no safety net in America, nobody can be "between jobs" for long at all without suffering a very serious reduction in living standards, or spending what little they've been able to save, or potentially facing the street.

I was looking at it from the perspective of an ungrateful (or, at least, not grateful enough) Welfare Stater. Sorry for that 82_28. It was a fair while back, I know, but I still regret the ignorant dismissive tone I stupidly used at the time. It came from the common enough assumption that everywhere in the world is basically the same as where I am. Hope things are going better now. All the best to you anyway, and sorry again.

82_28 wrote:Oh Jesus. Are you kidding? Welcome to the USA hosers. Ugh.

Yep. Exactly.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 pm

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
justdrew wrote:I guess one thing it says is that in Canada apparently you can quit your job and not be in immediate fear for one's own welfare (food, home, etc).

this is patently untrue, unless you've got money in the bank already.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Jeff » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Early Christmas morning, police were called to the home of Mayor Rob Ford about a reported domestic dispute. It was the second such call in as many months.

On Christmas, Ford’s mother-in-law called police between 4 and 5 a.m. to report that the mayor had been drinking and was taking his children to Florida against the wishes of his wife, Renata.

The Toronto police Youth and Family Violence Unit, which handles all domestic disputes, including incidents that are strictly verbal, is still investigating both events. No charges have been laid.

An interview request submitted to Ford’s office, which detailed the contents of this story, went unanswered.

According to numerous police and emergency service sources, 911 calls to the mayor’s Edenbridge Dr. home are a reality for the South Etobicoke division. Exactly how many calls have been made is unknown.

In March 2008, Ford, then still a councillor, called 911 after a conflict with Renata. Ford said she was acting “irrational.” He left their home with the couple’s children. Police later charged him with assault and uttering a death threat. Both charges were dropped two months later due to inconsistencies in Renata’s story. At the time, Ford told reporters the couple had begun counseling and that he supports his wife and she him.

Four years later, the 911 calls persist.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/110 ... =1#article

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 am

The Ottawa Sun:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Is that real? Like, really real?

Not only is Ottawa just finding out, but they have announced it in the most Alan Partridge way possible?

Bloody hell. That's kind of brilliant actually. Unless you happen to be "a gay" in Ottawa who has a job of some kind.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:Is that real? Like, really real?

Really real.

Consensus is it was meant as a pun on "Anchors aweigh." (Because the gays like the sailors - get it?)

As well as helping to kill it, Harper's doing the world a small service by revealing what this country's really, really made of.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 am

Jeff wrote:Consensus is it was meant as a pun on "Anchors aweigh." (Because the gays like the sailors - get it?)

But surely if such chucklesome ribaldry was afoot they would've stuck a big leering exclamation mark on the end?
That's what tabloids usually do. It serves the same purpose as a playful dig in the ribs from somebody who's just told you a terrible joke.

I was trying to think what it reminded me of, and then this old Viz classic came to mind.

AhabsOtherLeg

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News