A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Postby Penguin » Thu May 06, 2010 2:24 am

Im still here, its just that I got a real job for a change and have severely cut down on my internet time. Just popping in to read from time to time.
Penguin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Username » Mon May 10, 2010 7:53 pm

~
Jeff wrote:Sun May 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Post Re: Moderation question

Mac, you have one button that can be pushed, and it's nuclear.

You need a break from your vendetta. I'm giving you a week off.

Here's a toast to you, Mac.

Your week of being banned is up, but it wouldn't be difficult to understand if you decide to stay gone for good.

I know, that act (banning you and defending Breezy) took the wind out of my sails, somewhat.

Anyway, I hope you come back and raise hell about it, or just come back and do whatever.
~
Username

Postby chiggerbit » Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Don't blame it on breezy. I told Jeff that I was fed up with Mac's freak-outs getting other people's threads locked, was tired of walking on eggshells around him.
chiggerbit

Postby Username » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 am

~
chiggerbit wrote:Don't blame it on breezy. I told Jeff that I was fed up with Mac's freak-outs getting other people's threads locked, was tired of walking on eggshells around him.

oh.

i see.

well, hell . . . idk what to say.
~
Username

Postby Nordic » Tue May 11, 2010 2:12 am

Yeah, Mac may have been right about the future of R.I. Breezy, a blatant troll, doesn't get banned, but Mac does, for complaining about the blatant troll.

That is just seriously fucked up.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Project Willow » Tue May 11, 2010 3:13 am

^^ I agree, even though I see Mac has a temper and tenacity. That temper and tenacity erupt out of good, healthy moral outrage targeted quite well in most cases. That makes a good activist, the kind needed here to deal with these heavy subjects. It is not on a par with apparent trolling behavior, in any way.

That there was some kind of equivalency drawn seems specious if not arbitrary, although I hate to say so because I respect the source of that judgment as well for similar reasons.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chiggerbit » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 am

I don't normally allow people to verbally abuse and bully me, but I walked I eggshells around Mac longer than I have ever done for anyone in my entire life. I'll never do it again, even if it means getting other people's threads locked left and right.
chiggerbit

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Tue May 11, 2010 10:32 am

First off, Mac didn't get "banned', he simply got a time out, and that -ONLY- after repeated warnings to cool his rotten attitude, which he was unable to do. For you see, Mac has determined that he is now the arbiter of who should and shouldn't be here. You don't want to end up on that list...

Fuck that shit. I'm with you Chigs...
"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby Peregrine » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

I dunno. Just as an example, Sepka doesn't seem to generate as much volatility or go 'looking' for an argument & she doesn't have popular viewpoints. I agree there are better ways of talking to someone who you don't agree with without the name callling. Time outs can be a good cooling off, my daughter needs them every so often. I like Mac, even though he can get worked up, & I hope he decides to continue to post. (btw Willow, I have someone working on my website, but thank you!)
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby chiggerbit » Tue May 11, 2010 11:52 am

The dynamics here at RI have begun to feel just like the ones at this place:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientolog ... 012575.ece
chiggerbit

Postby Perelandra » Tue May 11, 2010 4:46 pm

:wowsign:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Jeff » Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 pm

New rule: members going Miscavige is strictly prohibited.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby barracuda » Tue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Oh, that's fucked, 'cause the whole "wrestling for musical chairs" thing sounded like a pretty decent group activity to build into the RI 2011 Summer conference schedule.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Jeff » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm

barracuda wrote:Oh, that's fucked, 'cause the whole "wrestling for musical chairs" thing sounded like a pretty decent group activity to build into the RI 2011 Summer conference schedule.

I see that as an after meeting, Rig Org only kinda thing.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby nathan28 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 am

I was going to voice an opinion about this Mac v. 17Breezes TKO b/c I really don't like seeing rules exploited in a targeted way, but don't want to second-guess mgmt., who I hope recognized that.

I will say I think the "unpopular opinion" argument is completely specious in this example... and a lot like the "politically correct" rhetoric. If you can't fucking defend your fucking opinion through examples, theory or rhetoric, you can't defend it, and last I checked, if you are struck by the w*t of the st**rc*se (asterixed to prevent another outbreak of astral herpes around here) the threads usually aren't locked so you can come back. You're entitled to believe WTF you want--but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to point out its unbelievability.

chiggerbit wrote:I don't normally allow people to verbally abuse and bully me, but I walked I eggshells around Mac longer than I have ever done for anyone in my entire life. I'll never do it again, even if it means getting other people's threads locked left and right.

Why? He's a boor, and I probably nearly always agree with him at some level. And this is the internet, where people fight and most threads are derailed in about two pages. He can usually articulate his opinion even if his manner is extremely abrasive. chlamor, who isn't banned but may not be around, did the same, and drew fire for it. E.g., come on, Bruce Springsteen is a Nazi? Yeah, everything he did since Asbury Park sucks and he's a stadium butt-rocker. Whatever, if anyone listened to the lyrics they'd realize he isn't a freaking apologist and he's said he's terrified by his audience's creepy triumph of the willisms. IIRC Mac got in on that fight, too, and of course, because it was absurd and bombastic and a chance to hit a few targets of opportunity related to other concerns. There's no reason to bite your keyboard on the internet if you feel compelled to get involved, and there's so much egg broken around here there'd be enough omelets to feed half of Queens. I mean, fuck it, people are welcome to post ch*mtr**ls bullshit or pro-police brutality authority-worshiping bootlicking in any thread I start, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call them fucking retarded. This is in English. Acrimony is what we do, and certainly beats revenge killings.
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News