A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Postby barracuda » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 am

To quote Hammett: 'He went like that,' Spade said, 'like a fist when you open your hand.'

Since the other day when MASONIC PLOT euthanized himself in the middle of the Johnny Gosch thread, I have somehow expected an Irish wake. Masonic was an interesting individual, and hs exit reminded me of those valiant souls who cast themselves into the abyss - Doodad, John Nemo, Dragon, theeKultLeeder, and the others. Some left with style and aplomb, some in righteous rage, some left an enigma. They crossed the line. Please join with me in a drink to their memory. I cannot say I knew them, but I watched them go. To them what went, and they that stay, I raise my glass this night to you all!
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:06 am

"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 am

MPs gone... Thats a pity I was glad he was back.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:14 am

Banned Aid? :P

Joe Hillshoist wrote:MPs gone... Thats a pity I was glad he was back.

He requested his account be closed. (Because of this.)

Apart from the Nazi apologists I feel bad about what happened to each one.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Hammer of Los » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:22 am

I'll raise a glass too, or at least a nice cuppa, milk and one sugar (level, not heaped) thanks.

I thought Yesferatu was a good poster, despite his over-emphasis on "no-plane at the Pentagon" (but frankly, who knows exactly what happened there, what with Rummy's "missile" slip o' the tongue, and the video release that was so unclear it muddied the waters even further). Its a shame he went, but he was a trifle aggressive.

Robert D Reed was another.

And remember Floyd Smoots? He was a hoot.

Has Rothbardian run off, chased away by hostility to his "fundamentalist Christian" style of "its all Satanists versus Jesus," conspiracy theory?

And remember Qutb?

Gosh, and so many others. Some go for a while and come back, of course, and how many lurk around still, reading? I've noticed stickdog* and did I see Isachar posting recently? I liked JD too.

But, you know, we don't have to all agree all the time to get along. Having said that, I like a little controversy, and, like Seamus, I enjoyed John E Nemo's recent posts, what with his "take on all comers" attitude. You'll notice of course, that I try and stay out of the worst flame wars, they are more enjoyable to watch from the sidelines. It's like being in the playground again, shouting "fight! fight! fight!" from the side. I guess I shouldn't say that, I'm being a trifle naughty.

It's a shame TKL was banned. Any chance of him coming back? I tried to read his blog again recently but saw that I now had to register, so I didn't bother.

And the recent behaviour of MP after his return I still find utterly perplexing. I must say, I sometimes wonder about the security of our accounts here, and whether there is a possibility of impersonation.

Of course, for all we know, some of these posters might return/have returned under a different alias. Thats internet anonymity for ya, a good thing in my book.

*and whats with this new poster taking the name "stackdag," is that some sort of reference to the poster "stickdog?"
Hammer of Los

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:55 am

Jeff wrote:Banned Aid? :P

Joe Hillshoist wrote:MPs gone... Thats a pity I was glad he was back.

He requested his account be closed. (Because of this.)

Apart from the Nazi apologists I feel bad about what happened to each one.

I just read that Johhny Gosch thread... that was ... interesting.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 am

Hammer of Los wrote:It's a shame TKL was banned. Any chance of him coming back? I tried to read his blog again recently but saw that I now had to register, so I didn't bother.

We've been in touch, and he understands why things soured for him here. I've told him he's welcome to return, with a change of username, when he's up for it.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby sunny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 am

Annalivia left in an extreme huff over I/P. Before she went she deleted every single one of her posts. It was a shame, I really liked her.

Israelirealities/havanagila (sp?) left over the same thing, I believe. I/P discussions can really rip apart a community.

Some have gone and I have no idea why: Peachtree Pam, Wolf Pauli, and Rober D. Reed. WTF did happen to RDR? Do you know Jeff?

Where is proldic and why did he leave? What about banned? Now that was one smart, tough broad. I recall her saying her health wasn't good.

I got a real kick out of old Floyd Smoots. I don't remember why he was banned.

I am heartsick over MP. I hope he feels he can come back some day.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 am

I think a lot of where are they now? is just natural ebb and flow of online communities. Some people just tire or become disenchanted for whatever reason, and move on.

Proldic hasn't been around for a long time. He left in a huff because I cautioned him against making what I thought was a false accusation of antisemitism. (That I/P stuff again....)
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:47 am

Jeff wrote:
Hammer of Los wrote:It's a shame TKL was banned. Any chance of him coming back? I tried to read his blog again recently but saw that I now had to register, so I didn't bother.

We've been in touch, and he understands why things soured for him here. I've told him he's welcome to return, with a change of username, when he's up for it.

What happened with him to get banned?
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

some more than others

Postby annie aronburg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am

I miss Homeless Halo.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby sunny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 pm

et in Arcadia ego wrote:
Jeff wrote:

What happened with him to get banned?

He displayed an extreme prejudice, if not outright hate, against mc/rat victims, calling them out explicitly. There was a specific incident with Jeff regarding the issue that got him banned, iirc, but I don't remember what it was.
Choose love
sunny

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Interesting. I have frequently wondered what orbit he occupied in relation to sexual/religious initiation/abuse. I refrained from speaking with Jeff several times about what I considered were serious pedophile apologist statements that tipped his cards a bit too far.

I liked the guy, but...
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Any excuse for a drink. Cheers!

I was shocked by MP's implosion. It's not like him to be unable to talk himself out of a situation, so was he (or he and others) planning to join the board as NG as some kinda psy-op? Why else cut and run like that? I hope he'll come back and explain as I really like the guy and his outlook, but if not I wish him all the best as long as he's honest.

I suppose that's the thing when people get banned, we never get to the bottom of it. C'est la vie.

I'll be leaving myself soon. Sorry, I'll rephrase that. I, myself, have to leave soon. I'm being evicted this weekend, no fault of my own, landlord sold the house, and I still don't know where I'm going. Offline for sure and for how long I don't know but I will miss you ALL and be back as soon as possible.

Don't have too much fun without me.

Heres to the crazy ones

I'd better get packing.
Seamus OBlimey

Postby sunny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Best of luck to you Seamus. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
Choose love
sunny

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News