Fabulous Job Opportunity

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby compared2what? » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:26 am

You can also just fuck the entire distinction up, whether you're a boy or a girl.

That would be an excellent point for Brian Grazer's new cultural attache to impress upon him, in fact.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

vernissage

Postby annie aronburg » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 am

compared2what? wrote:It retails for $18 to $20 a bottle. Essie ($5 - $7) and OPI (maybe a buck or so more than Essie?) aren't five-star in every single way, which Chanel is. But they're high enough on the scale to be of comparable (if lesser) value in a general sense. And they represent a dollar saving of do-the-math. I'd use Chanel if I were rich. But I do use Essie, for the most part. OPI doesn't work for me, but some people swear by it.

I think OPI is a pretty good brand. It's long lasting and it used to come in some very masculine blues and greens.

I once painted my boyfriend's toenails some manly shades of bronze and khaki while he was asleep. He woke up, put on his socks and shoes in the dark and left on a five week tour. He got all the way to Texas before he noticed.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby compared2what? » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:31 am

I think OPI is a pretty good brand. It's long lasting and it used to come in some very masculine blues and greens.

It is for these and similar reasons that I figure the flaw is in my nails, not the OPI.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:33 am

Just in case Brian Grazer is reading. We all have a moral imperative to insure that Brian Grazer does not inadvertently acquire incorrect cultural information, I feel.
compared2what?

Postby OP ED » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:44 am

These threads are always so interesting, if bizarre sometimes.
FWIW:

I have black toenails [my girlfriend, in my sleep]. I like them, so they stay until nature wears it off.

I don't watch sports, I watch Hockey. It does not usually have cheerleaders, which I've detested for many years. Cheerleaders are evil. And while I find myself somehow unable to object to the way that they dress, the chanting grates on my nerves. It is sometimes so annoying that I can hear it even with the sound off, so even that isn't always an option.

And Brian Grazer should get off his arse and read his own damn literature.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

your fancy jet doesn' t impress me

Postby annie aronburg » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 am

yeah Brian, it's called google, you big lazy.....
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby compared2what? » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:32 am

True, but that's post-clear, OT III-or-higher tech. We don't want to drive him mad by letting him know it until he has worked his way to the appropriate point on the bridge.

I, personally, am going to start compiling a list of things I think Brian Grazer should know.

The first that occurs to me is that while there is no sin in calling a simile a metaphor, there is a benefit in knowing that the former is an explicit comparison, usually but not necessarily using the word "like" or the word "as," whereas the latter is entirely implicit. If all people knew that, all people would have more options when referring to common figures of speech as such. And that's true whatever way you look at it. Because at a minimum, according to taste, they could then choose to observe or disregard the distinction, either of which would be fine.

Brian Grazer could explain that to the people whose attention he has the means of command. And thus would the sum of all free choice within the reach of humanity as a whole be increased.

Don't you see?? It's all good!!!!
compared2what?

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 am

The first that occurs to me is that while there is no sin in calling a simile a metaphor, there is a benefit in knowing that the former is an explicit comparison, usually but not necessarily using the word "like" or the word "as," whereas the latter is entirely implicit. If all people knew that, all people would have more options when referring to common figures of speech as such. And that's true whatever way you look at it. Because at a minimum, according to taste, they could then choose to observe or disregard the distinction, either of which would be fine.

George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language," 1946

Most people who bother with the matter at all would admit that the English language is in a bad way, but it is generally assumed that we cannot by conscious action do anything about it. Our civilization is decadent and our language -- so the argument runs -- must inevitably share in the general collapse. It follows that any struggle against the abuse of language is a sentimental archaism, like preferring candles to electric light or hansom cabs to aeroplanes. Underneath this lies the half-conscious belief that language is a natural growth and not an instrument which we shape for our own purposes.

Now, it is clear that the decline of a language must ultimately have political and economic causes: it is not due simply to the bad influence of this or that individual writer. But an effect can become a cause, reinforcing the original cause and producing the same effect in an intensified form, and so on indefinitely. A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts. The point is that the process is reversible. Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble. If one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly, and to think clearly is a necessary first step toward political regeneration: so that the fight against bad English is not frivolous and is not the exclusive concern of professional writers. I will come back to this presently, and I hope that by that time the meaning of what I have said here will have become clearer. Meanwhile, here are five specimens of the English language as it is now habitually written.

. . .

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:36 am

compared2what? wrote:

I, personally, am going to start compiling a list of things I think Brian Grazer should know.

What OP ED said (and bonus points cos he spelt arse right), and he should know that just cos he's some high falutin movie director does not mean he needs someone else to do his thinking or wipe his backside for him.

Mental fighting work, that essay is in the data dump if you didn't know.

BTW C@W You are a legend.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 am

erosoplier wrote:I may actually be taking the final step towards giving up all interest in all spectator sport this year.

Me too after fucking monday. (Mutter mutter fucken Mark McVaigh can go fuck himself, so can Matthew Lloyd for that matter, mutter mutter, whine, whinge, cry.)

BTW as far as revolutionary fervour goes, painting your nails is probably a sign that you are channeling it into something fairly useful and not too blood.

This bloke does it, and he fertilises his 80 acres of paradise with dead dogs from the pound. Really. No shit. I've seen their carcasses strewn around his place.

He's also a nudist, most of the time (ie not in public,) AND he's been known to do things like go into Coles or Woolworths (local chain supermarkets,) go through the cleaning products and find ones with banned chemicals, then go to management, tell them its illegal and if they don't remove them from the shelves right now he's calling someone who'll make their lives hell.

Perhaps he his revolutionary fervour turned creative cos he does his finger and toenails, and does them all different colours.

Or perhaps its all those backpacker chics that end up working on his place distract him.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby OP ED » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:This bloke does it, and he fertilises his 80 acres of paradise with dead dogs from the pound. Really. No shit. I've seen their carcasses strewn around his place.

Does he have a sister?
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 am

I dunno.

He's actually from new york, and in his 50s. I've never heard him mention family.

He does have a nudist organic farm full of cute backpackers tho, and a great dam for swimming in.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby compared2what? » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:08 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:
compared2what? wrote:

What OP ED said (and bonus points cos he spelt arse right), and he should know that just cos he's some high falutin movie director does not mean he needs someone else to do his thinking or wipe his backside for him.

Mental fighting work, that essay is in the data dump if you didn't know.

BTW C@W You are a legend.

Excuse me, but did you just call me a cow? Actually, on second thought, I think you must have been addressing someone else. Never mind.
compared2what?

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News