Fabulous Job Opportunity

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Fabulous Job Opportunity

Postby sunny » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 pm

No, I'm(half) serious! If you can stand to look at Brian Grazers head, are extremely well read and intimately familiar with every subject known to man, this job is for you! From The New Yorker

Bored at work? Victim of a hiring freeze? In the past few weeks, word has been circulating, among the post-collegiate cubicle crowd, about an exciting new job opportunity. The rumor, according to one (unofficial) e-mail: “Oscar-winning producer Brian Grazer (Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind, American Gangster) is looking for a new cultural attaché.” The e-mail explained:

This person would be responsible for keeping Brian abreast of everything that’s going on in the world; politically, culturally, musically. . . . They’re also responsible for finding an interesting person for Brian to meet with every week . . . an astronaut, a journalist, a philosopher, a buddhist monk. . . . There is LOTS of reading for this position! Grazer may ask you to read any book he’s interested in. You’ll probably get to read about 4 or 5 books a week and you may be required to travel with him on his private plane to Hawaii, New York, Europe—teaching him anything he asks you about along the way. . . . You will also be provided with an assistant. . . . Salary is around $150,000 a year. . . . You will be to Grazer what Karl Rove was to Bush.

“This job is kind of an urban legend in Hollywood,” a twenty-five-year-old assistant in the movie business said last week. (She had received a similar e-mail, describing the position as Grazer’s “idea curator.”) Rovian undertones aside, it’s actually an old concept: according to Anthony Grafton, a history professor at Princeton, Renaissance and Enlightenment princes often had such a minion, known as a “reader.” Frederick the Great, of Prussia, cribbed much of his expertise from a reader named Dantal; Sir Philip Sidney relied on a Livy scholar named Gabriel Harvey to brief him before a meeting with the Holy Roman Emperor.

Cultural attaché to a movie producer. Not a bad gig. But who, in this post-Renaissance era, could do it? Michael Rosenberg, the president of Imagine, the production company Grazer owns with Ron Howard, said that about a hundred would-be attachés have e-mailed résumés since word of the job got out. One was Ed Cooke, twenty-six, a British writer and education consultant. His résumé: philosophy-and-psych degree from Oxford, three languages, a demonstrated interest in “the philosophy of cricket.” “This seemed like a job that would suit me,” Cooke said. He’d sent in a list of interesting people: the medieval scholar Mary Carruthers; the cricket star Shane Warne; Dmitri Nabokov.

But Cooke didn’t make the final cut. By last week, Grazer’s staff had already narrowed the potential attachés down to four finalists, who would interview with the boss. “I’ve met a lot of good candidates,” Grazer said, reached on his cell phone en route to a meeting with the screenwriter for “Angels and Demons.” He said that he’d been hiring cultural attachés for twenty years, ever since he asked Jonas Salk’s assistant to help him track down interesting people in science. Fifteen or twenty people have held the job since then. (The “attaché” title started out as a joke.) “They have to be really resourceful,” Grazer said. “I like to meet people in dangerous organizations, and my cultural attaché finds out who that person is—who runs the Yakuza, or the Masons, or MI5.” The best attaché so far, Grazer said, has been Brad Grossman, the current one, who is leaving the post, after four years. Grossman is thirty-two; he owned a tutoring business before taking the job, and Grazer said that he is especially good at explaining the things he’s asked to learn about—bacteria or makeup or superdelegates. “I’m looking for a person who has that teacherlike quality,” Grazer said. “Also, it’s good to have a person who is a connector, who is liked by people.”

Grazer has had one bad attaché experience. “A few years ago, I hired this really smarty-pants Harvard guy,” he said. “He was just remarkably lazy. If he didn’t get the Wall Street Journal on his desk, it was like it didn’t exist.” Still, he said, the experience came with a lesson: “Under no condition can you teach curiosity.”

Before Grazer became a successful producer, he was—like most people— his own cultural attaché. Two weeks ago, he found a letter he’d written to the physicist Edward Teller during that period. “It made me remember how much work it was,” Grazer said. “I had to do the begging and grovelling and ass-kissing myself. I had to find the newspapers and magazines. Even then, I put so much thought and effort into trying to meet and learn from the people who mattered to me.” ♦
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby compared2what? » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 pm

As God is my witness, if only the Dremel Multi-Pro High-Speed Rotary Tool were cordless, I would pick it up and head straight to every intersection into which I could carve "UAW/MF -- For Brian Grazer" before NYU security guards tackled me and wrestled me to the ground, so full of revolutionary fervor did reading that leave me.

I guess there's always nail polish. Not easy to remove from some surfaces, unless you know that's what it is.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:13 pm

c2w said:

I guess there's always nail polish.

Nail polish is wonderfully effective for relieving painful flare-ups of revolutionary fervor, but only when it is applied to one's nails, not intersections. Preferably while listening to good music. Mud masks optional.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby erosoplier » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:Nail polish is wonderfully effective for relieving painful flare-ups of revolutionary fervor, but only when it is applied to one's nails, not intersections. Preferably while listening to good music. Mud masks optional.

That's a load of help. Thanks Alice!
erosoplier

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:12 am

No, no, erosopplier! That treatment only works for girls. On boys, it has the effect of aggravating the condition. In fact, it's been known to provoke full-blown revolutionary fervor in persons who previously had displayed no symptoms. Proceed only if you're willing to play with fire.

For adult males suffering from an acute case of revolutionary fervor, the standard treatment is watching sports and yelling at the tv, preferably with beer in hand. The presence of male buddies is highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary. If you hate sports, watch the cheerleaders and make offensive remarks about their anatomy. That works too. Some males who hate sports AND are resistant to the sight of bouncing cheerleaders, channel their revolutionary fervor into transforming ugly ducklings into swans, and bringing horrid 70s-era kitchens into the 21st century. This has the effect of rendering the condition innocuous, and doing something Good for the world, as well.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby lunarose » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:12 am

c2w? what do you use the dremmel for (besides stated purpose above)? my mama uses it on her pooches claws.
lunarose

Postby erosoplier » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:32 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:That treatment only works for girls. On boys, it has the effect of aggravating the condition. In fact, it's been known to provoke full-blown revolutionary fervor in persons who previously had displayed no symptoms.

For real? I would have thought it would work equally well on both sexes - perhaps even more effectively on boys, albeit only after overcoming a rather staunch peer-pressure based resistance to the practice.

I must admit, I feel like I'm missing out here, and it's only the anticipated ostracism and shame which has stopped me splashing out. But perhaps that's for the best, because I'd actually prefer a good old-fashioned revolution over painted fingernails any day (okay, nearly every day, shall we say).

Are you sure this fingernail painting lark is a good thing, even for girls, Alice?

I just checked back on how we wound up on this tangent. Quite a tangent it is.

For adult males suffering from an acute case of revolutionary fervor, the standard treatment is watching sports and yelling at the tv, preferably with beer in hand. The presence of male buddies is highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary. If you hate sports, watch the cheerleaders and make offensive remarks about their anatomy. That works too. Some males who hate sports AND are resistant to the sight of bouncing cheerleaders, channel their revolutionary fervor into transforming ugly ducklings into swans, and bringing horrid 70s-era kitchens into the 21st century. This has the effect of rendering the condition innocuous, and doing something Good for the world, as well.

I may actually be taking the final step towards giving up all interest in all spectator sport this year. (I hope Joe isn't listening). If I manage to ignore the State of Origin football this season, my ignorance will be complete. (playing sport is good (as long as it's more about skills than competitiveness), watching sport en masse is evil - the more en masse the eviler, as a general rule, I've decided just now). I'm amazed at the cultural programming that goes on. When I grew up, women barely tolerated motor racing, and watching cricket was as good as a prison sentence for them, ditto football. The most positive response they were usually capable of was feigned pleasure at hearing from the men that the preferred team won the game. It annoyed me growing up when my mother and sister expressed their distaste for my favoured spectator sports, but it's a breath of fresh air to hear a negative opinion expressed unashamedly by a woman today. These days the average woman is quite the sports fan. In the corridors at work I hear two women talking about the latest car race, or their tip for the coming football game...

Is this (I ask because I do not know) at all equivalent to two men complementing each other on their painted fingernails at the watercooler?

Long story short, I think cheerleaders are evil too, and should at least be called cheerfollowers, but I'm not very resistant to the sight of them bouncing. And I think there's not necessarily any harm in contemplating revolution, and potentially a lot of good in it, as long as one keeps in mind that actually going out and doing a revolution normally has far too terrible human costs.
erosoplier

Postby compared2what? » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Lunarose, Lunarose, I'm so glad we're in the lounge where we can talk about nail polish without careful thought and phrasing!

I'm not very skilled at any of it, but I like to make things, restore things, and repurpose things, including most things that would fall into the decorative arts category, and especially Scandinavian modern furniture and accessories for the home. I mostly use the Dremel for that, but since it's all ad hoc, I might use it in place of a more traditional power tool that I either don't have or feel less confident about wielding for regular home repair and picture-hanging type stuff. I've never thought of using it for mani-pedi buffing, but....hmm....probably not a good idea, I'm sorry to conclude.

Actually, I rarely even try to maintain the "mani" part of that, since the natural corollary of frequent unskilled application of a wide array of instruments and materials -- Dremel, Chi Turbo flat-iron, rivet/eyelet setter, sewing machine, Superglue, staple gun, superfine steel wool, upholstery needle, etc. -- separately or in combination (and sometimes with a dash of might-be corrosive and/or combustible fluids, especially, as it happens, nail polish remover) for a wide variety of overly optimistic creative purposes that they're not really designed for is: Thanking my lucky stars that I even have hands that include all the digits I was born with, along with a near daily vow not to tempt fate by wishing for more maintenance than that. On the "pedi" tip, however, I subscribe to a more standard and orthodox view.

Bearing the Great Schism and its aftermath in mind, I'm mildly concerned about the potential consequences of a doctrinal disagreement with Alice. But assuming that we mutually stipulate to a Council-of-Nicea rather than Second-Ecumenical-Council spirit, I say nail polish can, subject to geographical and generational variables, have substantially the same pro- or anti-revolutionary effect on boys as it does on girls. I suggest something in the Chanel Vamp range. But don't waste your money on the Chanel itself, guys. There are many perfectly lovely knock-offs available at the corner drug store, and at much lower price points.

I'm a true baseball and basketball fan, in an ADD kind of a way (ie -- some seasons I pay no attention to my teams at all; in others, I am obsessed by them).

I don't cook, and aesthetically speaking am more inclined toward a classically spare environment with Le Creuset enamel accents than shown below. But still, The Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement (Greystone, 1970, 18 vols.), is a sacred text to me. So I feel compelled to decry the ancient and historical persecution that '70s kitchens underwent before the Lord Our God brought them out of....Oh, damn. That's a phraseology not worth the candle, given the unfunny reality. But I'm going to be late for today's cursed work-related appointment if I stop for a do-over. How about "before the Lord Our God brought them out of Conrans"? I think we can all live with that. In dreams, anyway. It's way out of my price range, in reality.

“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

polish analysis

Postby annie aronburg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:11 pm

compared2what? wrote:Lunarose, Lunarose, I'm so glad we're in the lounge where we can talk about nail polish without careful thought and phrasing!

I say nail polish can, subject to geographical and generational variables, have substantially the same pro- or anti-revolutionary effect on boys as it does on girls. I suggest something in the Chanel Vamp range. But don't waste your money on the Chanel itself, guys. There are many perfectly lovely knock-offs available at the corner drug store, and at much lower price points.

As an occasional user of both Chanel and Wet n Wild polishes, I have to grudgingly admit that the Chanel stuff is better.

I thought nail polish was nail polish, but someone brought a couple bottles of the top shelf stuff to a beauty party and all the ladies commented on how leasy to apply and long lasting it was.

On Topic: I don't know if I'd want that job, but I wouldn't mind being the attache's assistant.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby sunny » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:16 pm

I love the turn this thread has taken. :lol:

My time on the internet curbs my revolutionary fervor. If I suddenly and permanently lost my connection, I'd go all Che Guevara on everybody's asses.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby erosoplier » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:45 pm

sunny wrote:My time on the internet curbs my revolutionary fervor. If I suddenly and permanently lost my connection, I'd go all Che Guevara on everybody's asses.

That's one thing that has surprised (and disappointed!) me about my internet connection - its reliability. I swear, there'd be a hell of a lot more political graffiti around my neighbourhood (meaning there'd at least be some) if my connection went down for more than a few hours or a day, but it never has...

compared2what? wrote: I say nail polish can, subject to geographical and generational variables, have substantially the same pro- or anti-revolutionary effect on boys as it does on girls.

Is/was there ever a tribe out there somewhere where the men were the ones who painted/dyed their nails (among other things and importantly in order to increase their percieved fierceness)? Or have I just invented this particular shining example of cultural relativism?
erosoplier

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:23 pm

erosoplier wrote:Is/was there ever a tribe out there somewhere where the men were the ones who painted/dyed their nails (among other things and importantly in order to increase their percieved fierceness)? Or have I just invented this particular shining example of cultural relativism?

Are you kidding?
Seamus OBlimey

Little Richard's People?

Postby annie aronburg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:27 pm

The men of the Wodaabe look pretty fierce.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby erosoplier » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Seamus OBlimey wrote:
erosoplier wrote:Is/was there ever a tribe out there somewhere where the men were the ones who painted/dyed their nails (among other things and importantly in order to increase their percieved fierceness)? Or have I just invented this particular shining example of cultural relativism?

Are you kidding?

I don't know, Seamus, less than half a million hits there...what point were you trying to make anyway?

Musical Interlude
erosoplier

Postby compared2what? » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:08 am

As an occasional user of both Chanel and Wet n Wild polishes, I have to grudgingly admit that the Chanel stuff is better.

I thought nail polish was nail polish, but someone brought a couple bottles of the top shelf stuff to a beauty party and all the ladies commented on how leasy to apply and long lasting it was.

Stipulated, counselor.

If I may address the court, briefly, let it be entered into the record, out of an abundance of caution, that the girls do not, did not, and will not intentionally seek to give the guys a bum steer on matters of nail polish.

In the furtherance of which, I, C2W, being duly deposed and sworn do testify that le Vernis Chanel is beyond question a superior product, in ways including, but not limited to, ease of use, sensory enjoyment in both wet and dry forms; has a cuter bottle than most other nail polishes; and will not get too-globby-to-use for at least years, and maybe ever. Owing to some mysterious interaction of the vernis proper with the brush (which is probably made out of unicorn eyelashes), it behaves better than cheaper nail polishes do in almost every regard during application. The aforementioned properties all strongly recommend it for amateur home use. It also stays shiny longer and chips less easily than other, cheaper brands.

It retails for $18 to $20 a bottle. Essie ($5 - $7) and OPI (maybe a buck or so more than Essie?) aren't five-star in every single way, which Chanel is. But they're high enough on the scale to be of comparable (if lesser) value in a general sense. And they represent a dollar saving of do-the-math. I'd use Chanel if I were rich. But I do use Essie, for the most part. OPI doesn't work for me, but some people swear by it.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank all the officers of the court as well as all the ladies and gentleman of the jury for their (I'll assume) attention, courtesy, interest, and -- most of all -- time.

Also, these guys were fierce and virile, while wearing not only nail polish, but make-up and girl's clothing, too:

In the spirit (if not in every single detail of the letter) of those laws, the two who still draw breath still are:

compared2what?

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News