Anxiety Always

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

How much time do you spend a day researching/reading up on parapolitical/conspiracy research?

Less than an hour
No votes
1 to 2 hours
13%
3 to 4 hours
63%
5 to 6 hours
13%
7 to 8 hours
No votes
Are you kidding? That's my whole day...
13%

Total votes : 8

Anxiety Always

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:37 am

Ok, I'm just wondering... how much time to you all spend on parapoltical/conspiracy/fortean research?

I mean, there are so many rabbit holes, and they all go so deep. So many distractions, so much disinfo/misinfo/noninfo to sift through. Add to that some of it is difficult to fully understand (financial news for non-financial types, etc). It can take a LOT of time up.

Some who are writers, like Jeff, need to put this time in for their work. But many of us maybe have other things we should be doing and are compelled because, as the song goes, "We Have to See, We Have to Know..."

So how much time do you spend on research? Also include activism, and general community stuff, like posting to the Lounge on RI.

For myself, I'd say 2-3 hours - some days less, some more, but that seems about average. I'm a self-employed work-at-home type, but I sometimes have a hard time getting to the the work because of my interests and the endlessness of the Internet. I have no real rationalization for this besides the desire to be well-informed and know as much of the truth about what the hell is really going on as I can...I think some day I'll get up to writing some fiction based on all this research, but that is not really practical. I am using some of the research in a game I am designing, in an allegorical way mostly, but that I think is more an effect of the research than its cause, if you know what I mean.

On a related note, and I wanted to add another poll, does your research cause you any anxiety? It does me, when I really think about the gravity of what we are up against. Honestly, quite a bit of anxiety. My partner helps with this, keeping me from going over the deep end. Eris bless her :)
§ê¢rꆧ

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby OP ED » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 am

1-3 hours, variable depending on my schedule and my aloneness.

Anxiety? no. living in the city gives me anxiety. girls give me anxiety. paying my bills gives me anxiety.

cannibis makes my anxiety go away.

parapolitics just gives me a headache and a sense of righteously indignant determination to cause this world as many problems as possible before it finally kills me.

Petty things give me anxiety [and girls], while these huge global issues make me feel right at home.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:26 am

I'm the "it's my whole day" guy.

Not so anxious anymore. I think that comes with resignation, which isn't necessarily a negative thing. I don't think, big picture, there is any hope for us. But small picture, where we really spend our lives, I believe we can still have happiness and a decent time of it here, and help others have the same. And that means just about everything.

Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost

Hey, that's how it goes. More wine?
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 am

3-4 most days, but that is only true for the last 4 or 5 years or so. Some days I consider that a bit obsessive. There are lots of other things I ought to be doing, but then if I am doing those things I am still constantly making connections and ruminating about all this stuff anyway, so maybe 3-4 is low. I try to follow the advice of Goethe in my sig line, but even the most sublime moment of beauty, in fact sometimes especially the experience of beauty, seems tinged with the realization of our fatal predicament as a civilization (species?)

I agree that for "first world" countries the party is coming to an end (ironically we will be the least prepared). There's no way out. The sweet anesthesia of resignation does not completely dull the pain until one has faced their own mortality, which is something I've not done yet. In the meantime I have discovered Sceletium Tortuosum http://www.erowid.org/plants/kanna/kanna.shtml . Smoked, it has a nearly instant, short term anxiolytic effect, but almost exclusively I take it orally; roughly 100 mg every other day. I think the "sedative" effect is actually just the absence of anxiety. I don't experience any sort of grogginess or euphoria. Taken orally the anxiolytic effect is noticeable within an hour. It is subtle and yet profound. I have been taking it for about a year. I have experienced no adverse reactions or negative side effects and for me it is VERY effective. Vastly more effective than Fluoxetine with none of the indiscriminate neutron bomb effect on all emotion that I get with fluoxetine. I remember reading somewhere that the warriors of the indigenous people of southern Africa where it grows took it as a treatment for ptsd. That would make sense to me.

3 drawbacks: It's somewhat expensive, not well researched or understood pharmacologically and I have developed an emotional dependence on it. Anxiety just eats away at me all the time. It's absence is a god send.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby OP ED » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 am

Anti-Anxiety Medication

From your link, bph.

I prefer the Silene capensis as a sleep aid. It can be strange if you ingest a lot however.

Man I hope the party is almost over. This has been a lame party anyhow. It could do with some apocalyptic razzle-dazzle about now.

I sometimes wonder why my own fatalism hasn't been sufficient to make me stop trying yet. Delusions I guess.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Penguin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:24 am

3-4 hours mostly, sometimes less..Sometimes I can go on all-night reading binges when I stumble on something interesting. It need not be anything related to deep politics or weirdness, I tend to get interested in many things.

Im not anxious really, I have a good life as far as that goes, with good friends and meaningful things to do. Its more like Im semi-pissed off, and sometimes grumpy outwardly because of that.

Of course, anti-Babylon herbals help, like OP ED, others said :)
Penguin

Postby AlicetheKurious » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:28 pm

5-6 hours, easy. Sometimes more. It only makes me anxious when I realize that sitting for so long in front of my computer could not be good for my physical health. Mentally, I'm stimulated, and being well-informed about what's going on makes me less anxious.

Knowledge is indeed power. I've become far more confident in my ability to make important personal decisions, and have made some really good ones based on knowledge and insights I've derived from my reading in alternative sources, even when "experts" were advising the opposite.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:It only makes me anxious when I realize that sitting for so long in front of my computer could not be good for my physical health.

Yes! Then I push away the chair, mutter WTF am I doing? and hurry outside. A block or two away I double-check that I'm wearing pants and not pajama bottoms.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby lunarose » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:23 pm

maybe 1/2 to one hour a day. anxiety...........well, i'm a placid taurus by nature, and for the last 30 years have been living with asthma which randomly and periodically spends a year or few trying to kill me, then it backs off and i look 'normal' to all outward appearances. so i've had to learn how to live with a death sentence, basically - well, actually everybody is, its just easier for most to ignore it, less easy for me. if you practice it is quite possible to develop the talent of quieting the emotions and guiding your thoughts toward more productive, healthier topics.

the internet is so weird to me. i got started on deep politics listening to mae brussels and dave emory in the early '80's. they were broadcast from this little college station a ways away. so every sunday night at a little before seven we'd get out the radio, tune it to kfjc and arrange the attenna for best reception. we'd actually have to lay down on our beds in a particular configuration for the station to come in, and we could never get reception for all of the show - it would slowly fade away. i would tape it and listen throughout the week. every once in a while you'd find a relevant book in a library or second hand store, and of course you'd read the newspaper with a whole different viewpoint. now there's an embarrassment of primary sources online.

having looked at all this for so long makes one more anxious - ollie north was working on martial law plans (rex84) back in the reagan admin - and also less anxious - they've been working on martial law plans all that time and haven't managed to drop the hammer yet! you get less excited when you run across the same thing or pattern for the fifty first time. things aren't as bad as i had feared they might become, but not as good as i had dared to hope.
lunarose

Postby compared2what? » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:51 am

Petty things give me anxiety [and girls], while these huge global issues make me feel right at home.

Petty things give you girls? Nice.

But oh, those petty things -- don't they know that they're driving girls' mamas and papas insane?
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby OP ED » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 pm

compared2what? wrote:

Petty things give you girls? Nice.

But oh, those petty things -- don't they know that they're driving girls' mamas and papas insane?

Probably not. Petty as they are.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Project Willow » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:36 am

"Sherriff: Blogger sat on computer chair for 2 years"
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Project Willow » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 am

Oh, dear, that's not really funny is it.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 am

Image to the entire concept of time, just because I love this smiley I saw in another silly thread.

The subject matter seems to cause me anxiety, but not in any kind of medical sense. Just the general, free-floating knots-of-dread that everyone feels everyday, right? :lol: It has occurred to me that perhaps I am projecting anxiety from other parts of my life. Not so much girls, but dreams unrealized, hopes dashed, aspiratations drowned. Sometimes survival anxiety, health fears, concern over addictive behavior... the personal anxieties I guess... Nevertheless oftentimes it's not so much 'research' as just old-fashioned, indulgent web surfin' that eats up most of the computer time unfortunately ...
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby freemason9 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:43 pm

I spend an hour, more or less--depending upon my schedule and my mood. I see it as entertainment, but I don't believe much of what I read. I need evidence, you know. I can buy into alot of the political theories, but when it comes to UFO's and Big Foot, my eyes glaze over.

I wanted to believe in UFO's until I understood that energy consumption and resource depletion necessarily limit the technological advancement of any civilization.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

With a name like Freemason9, I don't suppose I'll get much love here.
freemason9

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News