The Canadian game show thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Canadian game show thread

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:08 am

I don't think there are Canadian game shows anymore. But I have great affection for some. Grade 6 or so, I'd race home at lunch to watch Eye Bet (followed by the Flintstones) on CFTO:

It Made Bloopers and Continuity Errors Fun

This show debuted in 1971 and was a popular Canadian Television Network (CTV) game show hosted by prolific host Jim Perry. The smooth toned Dave Devall was the show's announcer between CFTO Channel 9 weather forecasts, for which he also became very well-known. I can remember carefree summers in my teens watching EYE BET religiously every weekday.

The EYE BET set was a veritable cornucopia of movie nostalgia, with huge posters and pictures of Laurel & Hardy, Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire, Grace Kelly, etc. As I recall, Perry's podium, or those of the contestants, were made to look like huge bags of popcorn! In some brilliant way, the stage was set for good movie night fun.

Perry would introduce old Hollywood movie clips, which were then shown to the contestants and audience, then the contestants were invited to answer a question about something specific to each clip, testing their skills of observation. Most of the questions were "We see two men struggling with a gun in the opening scene. What was the blond woman doing behind the main action?", or "In the first scene, there is a scene showing a man in front of a big building. How many flags are visible in the background?" The films viewed were often forgettable "B" pictures featuring scenes with tacky bloopers, but often these were the most fun. For example, a woman reading a newspaper in one scene and in the next it would be folded up and resting on a table. Once, a scene showed a man swimming in the water, then climbing onto the side of a boat and in the next scene his clothes were bone dry. It was good, clean movie fun for the whole family that lasted for all too short a time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262956/

And gotta love the pedagogical ones on CBC intended to make us better citizens. Like Front Page Challenge and

This is the Law

This is the Law was a Canadian panel game show which aired on CBC Television from 1971 to 1976.

It presented short, humorous vignettes which ran with musical accompaniment rather than a soundtrack, and challenged panellists to guess which (obscure) law was being broken by the "Lawbreaker" character (portrayed by Paul Soles
[voice of Spiderman in the original cartoon, btw]), who always got arrested at the end of the vignette (Robert Warner starred as the police officer). The vignettes were quite subtle, and more often than not, despite many guesses, the panelists were unable to come up with the law that was actually being broken.

The vignettes alternated with depictions of actual court cases, presented in a series of still cartoons, in storyboard format, with narration. The narrator would end by asking a question about how the judge eventually ruled. The four panelists would each guess what the judge decided, and why, and each panelist would conclude by lighting up a large "Yes" or "No" in front of his or her seat. After all four panelists had guessed, the answer would be revealed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_is_the_Law

Front Page Challenge:

Errol Flynn, mystery guest, on Cuban Revolution. (with Scott Young, panelist, Neil's dad.)

Malcolm X

And a Canadian game show quiz on CBC.CA
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chillin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 am

Mostly what I remember about Canadian game shows is how the 'grand' prize was usually something like a vacuum cleaner or a $100 gift certificate for Sears. Meanwhile the winners on American shows would get new cars, trips to the Caribbean... it was one of the first indications to me that things were different up here compared to the States.
chillin

Postby OP ED » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 am

I do not believe I have ever seen a Canadian gameshow. I watch little television, and very little canadian television [i can pick up like two or three channels i think]. of course, if they don't exist anymore, this probably doesn't help my chances any.

I have recorded the location of this page so that I can watch some when I have absolutely nothing to do.

This will actually happen at some point, so that isn't an insult.

the only american game show i've ever seen any amount of is the first fourteen or so seconds of Wheel of Fortune about 3 nights a week for the last too many fucking years.

i hope canadian game shows are better. if they don't have fucking pat sayjak that'll be a damn good start.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Return to The Lounge & Member News